PDA

View Full Version : Bodyweight or Resistance Training?

chrisb
01-10-2006, 07:42 AM
Hi,

Just a quick note to say that I'm not asking for a academic run-down of which is best - rather I would like to know which would be more suitable in my position.

Here's a bio of me:

Background
I have previously trained in both Shaolin Kung Fu (mainly) and Jeet Kune Do (minorly), though this was a few years ago. I re-started my Kung Fu training 3 months ago and have been fine since - no injuries have occured.

In order to regain some fitness for Kung Fu I have been swimming 1KM 5 times a week since March 2005, and more recentley (last two weeks) have started running 20-30 minutes 3 times a week (and I'm really crap at running!).

I am naturally quite flexible; I can perform front splits without warm up and am inches away from achieving lateral splits post-warm up. My dynamic flexibility is also good and I am able to perform the standard types of kicks to a good level.

Stats
Height: 5'9
Weight: 160lbs
Bodyfat: Haven't a clue, but I could benefit from losing some.

Situation
I can train between 7:00AM and 10:00AM every day, and could also fit in another hour or two session during the day or evening on most days (university student so my timetable is quite flexible).

Facilities
I have access to a 25M swimming pool (along with jacuzzi, sauna etc :p), the university gym (cardio machines and weight machines - no free weights) and a studio (empty room above the gym). There are very few outdoor locations that would be suitable for training.

Current Ability
Arms: Weak/Moderate - my MA focuses primarily on technique and little strength work is incorporated for the upper body. Any strength has been derived from striking.
Chest: Moderate - swimming has helped improved strength.
Stomach/Back: Moderate - makes up a part of MA training.
Legs: Moderate/Strong - MA focuses on low stances and works the kicks.

Goals
My overall goal is to improve my functional strength and fitness. I've no real interest in bulking up or focussing on aesthetics.

---

Would I be best going with a bodyweight routine or resistance training?

I'd really appreciate any help with this, and would be especially grateful for suggested routines or links to routines, as I really know little-to-nothing about strength training.

Also...

Resistance Training Questions

- Can I base an effective routine around machines or are free weight a necessity for developing functional strength?

- I've used machines before and ached like hell for upto 4 days afterwards - this really puts me off resistance training. What can be done to prevent this/shorten recovery time (warm up/warm down/stretching/nutrition)?

Bodyweight Training Questions

- Am I less likely to ache if adopting a bodyweight routine over resistance training?

- What are the advantages (the for the production of functional strength) of bodyweight over resistance (if any)?

THANK YOU FOR READING!
I realise this is a pretty long post, so I really appreciate you reading and doubley-appreciate any comments :D

fa_jing
01-11-2006, 12:24 PM
OK, given what you got, you should do circuits incorporating both BW and resisted exercises. Example: Leg press heavy x 5, rest 30 seconds, 50 jumping jacks, rest 30 seconds, repeat until 5 sets of both have been completed. Do the same for upper body, and don't work to muscular failure - instead try to do more sets.