PDA

View Full Version : kung fu training in Columbia, SC?

Fitdoc
01-11-2006, 10:39 AM
Anyone know of a kung fu school or MMA training in Columbia, SC? I'm moving to Columbia in 6 months and i would like to find quality kung fu training in the area. thanks

Oso
01-11-2006, 11:04 AM
can't recall any off the top of my head...though, there's probably someone doing something MMA'ish...kinda hard not to swing a stick w/o finding one in a city that large.

I know there's a guy in Spartanburg running a club type praying mantis program but they are just in a park last I heard. I can put you in touch with him. he's solid.

google doesn't look to good

http://www.google.com/local?num=20&hl=en&lr=&newwindow=1&safe=off&q=martial+arts&near=Columbia,+SC&sa=X&oi=localr

Lam Tong Long
01-12-2006, 08:37 PM
Hi,

Sifu/Guru Mark Mills (teaches Wing Chun, Filipino arts/JKD) in Columbia, SC. Check out his website www.cmatc.com

Saleem Alamudeen may still be teaching Hung Gar/Yang Tai Chi down on Rosewood Drive. You'd have to check local pages.

Both are good. Sifu Alamudeen is more 'traditional' so depends on what you're after.

Hope that helps,

Jay

Lam Tong Long
01-12-2006, 08:44 PM
Saleem Alamudeen link:

http://www.go2taichi.com/links/links.php?submit=single&ID=128

Oso
01-12-2006, 08:50 PM
Thanks for broadening the horizons...I'd not heard of either.

You must be the UK SPM guy that trained there in 98-99. (did a quick glance at his forum).

Fitdoc
01-12-2006, 09:31 PM
Thanks Lam Tong...just tonite, i called Sifu Mark Mills after finding his school online. I'm looking forward to visiting both his school and master saleem's.

Oso
01-13-2006, 07:01 AM
cool blog, fitdoc.

glad you found someplace.

Lam Tong Long
01-13-2006, 12:54 PM
Hi guys,

Yeah, that was me on his forum. I think (from checking back!) that I was there from 1997-2000ish. Had some great times training with the gang over there. Good people.

I first trained under Saleem Alamudeem because he was teaching Tai Chi at USC and I had a spare credit hour so figured why not! He's a very knowledgable guy and (if I remember right) he learned his Hung Gar in NYC before moving to the dirty dirty!

Sifu Alamudeen's school used to be on Rosewood Drive which was close to my student accomodation (The Roost) so it was closer.
I used to get a ride to Sifu Mills classes with a friend (who is now an instructor under Mark).

Both schools are very good. Mark Mills is very progressive and keen on crosstraining. Saleem Alamudeen is are very traditional Sifu.

Pick your poison, LOL!

Regards, John