PDA

View Full Version : Kung fu... Ninjutsu...

I Hate Ashida Kim
10-21-2001, 07:31 AM
I want the honest opinion of people here. Do you think someone could successfully train in kung fu and ninjutsu at the same time? More specifically, wing chun or taiji chuan, and ninjutsu?

I could elaborate more on this question, but I think it's best left simple like this.

Thanks...

IHAK

"If Ashida wished you to know his real name, I am sure he would write to you and tell you himself." --Danny Sainty

"So, you supposed martial artists, what are you trining for? Who are you training to fight? Apparently no one. Because even in a hypothetical situation, you puss out, Ha! Ha!" --Ashida Kim

Nexus
10-21-2001, 07:45 AM
Someone could successfully train to dance balet & swing at the same time, but if you are looking for a level of mastery in either, it is usually better to find one which you really enjoy and focus the majority of your time in that, as both tend to be very elaborate and deep systems that take years of practice to understand and many more years after to master.

- Nexus

I Hate Ashida Kim
10-21-2001, 09:31 AM
How does one choose?

IHAK

"If Ashida wished you to know his real name, I am sure he would write to you and tell you himself." --Danny Sainty

"So, you supposed martial artists, what are you trining for? Who are you training to fight? Apparently no one. Because even in a hypothetical situation, you puss out, Ha! Ha!" --Ashida Kim

Ish
10-21-2001, 01:18 PM
I was thinking about starting ninjutsu but i decided to stick to just wing chun becaus i didn't want to pollute my wing chun mabe when i've completed the whole system i migh try it then. I would pick which ever you preper if you dont train either yet go and check them both out then decide

Wongsifu
10-21-2001, 01:57 PM
pretty much as nexus said, i would say start with both, in the beggining dont limit your options and seee as the path progresses what you wish to do , mastery of one , or mix different aspects and make your own style

what do bin laden and general custer have in common????
They're both wondering where the fu(k all of those tomahawks are coming from. - donated by mojo

Jeff Liboiron
10-21-2001, 05:13 PM
I'm actually doing both wing chun and ninjutsu. I find i'm improving in both arts, but more so in wing chun becasue i work on it a lot more than ninjutsu
:D But i still am improving in ninjutsu, and i'm careful not to mix the different arts, i practice my wing chun, then my ninjutsu.

But in a few years, i will probably devote myself to wing chun full time :D

DrunkenMonkey
10-21-2001, 06:11 PM
Ninjutsu and Tai Chi have conflicting viewpoints and basic philosophies. Ninjutsu is a hard, purely offensive style while Taiji is a soft defensive style. You can't train both at the same time unless you want to **** up your training

"****ed be the day that befalls us in a most hostile manner that shall compromise our Country, and ****ed be the great lengths at which are required of to stir our Patriotism." - Anonymous

Rolling Elbow
10-21-2001, 06:24 PM
spoken like a man who doesn't have a clue...

ninjutsu/taijutsu and tai chi do NOT conflict. They are very similar with respect to the principals they teach. Tai chi is a great way to learn how to use the entire body behind your techniques. In fact, tai chi and ninjutsu compliment one another because tai chi can show a student how to move his body with proper taijutsu (body). In doing this, many of the "offensive" techniques you refer to, are more readily incorporated in a spontaneous fashion BECAUSE they are done through the body's range of motion rather than a pre planned scenario.

Wing Chun and taijutsu however, will conflict because of the emphasis on teh center line, sticky hands, over zealous trapping at times, and reliance on overwhelming with strikes rather than positioning and balance. nothing wrong with that, just different approac is all.

Michael Panzerotti
Taijutsu Nobody from the Great White North..

GunnedDownAtrocity
10-21-2001, 08:00 PM
i have very limited experience in ninjitsu, and am currently training taichi, and i have to agree with re.

they don't appear to mash togeather perfectly, but i don't see how one will harm your training in the other.

where's my beer?

Yuen
10-21-2001, 08:18 PM
It is good to gain experience in various arts, but as Nexus said if you want to truly master a specific art, you should leave either one out. So you definitely do not lose anything if you train in both, that's for sure.

I have trained in Goju-Ryu karate under my father, mostly when I was smaller for several years. Currently I practice Choy Lee Fut kung fu and do sometimes karate still but anyway the point is that there has been nothing bad about doing two different styles. However karate's origin is kung fu.

tnwingtsun
10-21-2001, 08:46 PM
>rather than positioning and balance.<

That is the first thing we train for.

Hatsumi's system is good stuff!!

nightair
10-21-2001, 09:02 PM
you can train in whatever the hell you want. :D

DOH!!

Yuen
10-21-2001, 09:16 PM
I believe that a deep understanding of a single art is important, however different arts can be used as a basic foundation. It all depends on the person if he wants to learn one style or ten different styles. But if one wants to master a single art, he should stick to it.