PDA

View Full Version : Tired Eyes from looking at a computer screen all day

ShaolinWood
01-12-2006, 10:51 AM
I'm looking for some tips on treating tired eyes.
I work with a computer all day, and my eyes are beginning to feel the strain.

I get blurry vission and headaches at the end of the day.

Does anyone know of any tips or treatments to make it a bit better or to prevent any further damage?

Thanks in advance

Taff
01-14-2006, 03:33 PM
Here is something that I learned from.....somewhere quite a while ago. I find it refreshes my eyes.

Cup your hands over your eyes gently. Adjust their position so that you can see no light whatsoever. Now just close your eyes and relax them. I find that after about 5 mins it really helps, and longer can help even more.

I know it's simple and sounds obvious, but I've found it rather useful.

I've just done it a few minutes ago for less than five minutes. I find it important to focus on relaxing the eyes, right from the front, all the way through to the back of your neck, where you can then relax the muscles at the base of your skull that might be contributing to your headache.

Another thing to try is to look at something that requires long sight, not short sight for a while.

Good luck.

paradoxbox
01-20-2006, 05:29 PM
Hi, do you have access to any windows? Kind of a rediculous question but some people work in tiny offices with no escape until the end of the day, etc..

Anyway, if you can, get to a window or go outside, and look at some evergreen trees for a while. It's important that the trees you are looking at are mostly green in color, and should fill most of your vision.

The green color of evergreens is very relaxing for your eyes and the movement of branches from the wind will also further relax you. But the main thing is it doesn't strain your eyes at all to look at green trees.

Trees work much better than grass, but you can look at grass in a pinch. Some shades of blue are also ok but avoid dark blues and very light blues (looking at a bright blue sky may not be a good idea for relaxing your eyes).

Do this a couple of times per day and you won't have problems anymore with the strain.

To stop the blurryness you need to do some eye excersizes, try lining up 2 objects in your sight, one near and one far, then alternate your focus on each object rapidly. This will stop your eyes from getting too used to the fixed distance between your monitor and your eyes.

Hatsuyuki
01-22-2006, 04:49 PM
Hi, do you have access to any windows? Kind of a rediculous question but some people work in tiny offices with no escape until the end of the day, etc..

Not that ridiculous, I work ISP tech support and for security reasons, our building is not allowed to have windows of any kind. Picture a prison fill of computers.. *sigh*

Sang Feng Fan
01-22-2006, 08:25 PM
You might want to look at this site, it had some very practical information about eyes and Carpal Tunnel problems: http://www.healthycomputing.com/

Good luck, stay healthy.

couch
01-30-2006, 11:34 AM
Try the 20/20/20 rule.

Every 20 minutes, look at something 20 feet away for 20 secs.

Best,
Kenton Sefcik