PDA

View Full Version : moderator

18elders
01-13-2006, 01:23 PM
recently(today) i put a post up about some lions for sale, obviously it was deleted by you.

I for one think maybe we should have a separate catagory for martial arts products for sale. It seems videos for sale are okay but other things get the boot.

It was a good price for brand new lions, i'm sure some people may be interested.

People promote seminars all the time but products are not allowed??

Not to single anyone out, but there is a thread for martial arts videos for sale that didn't get the boot.

I would like to hear comments from people about their feelings or ideas to have a separate catagory for people selling things?

ironfenix
01-13-2006, 01:50 PM
personally I have no problem with products or sevices being posted online. I agree with 18 elders in that there should be no difference between videos, books, jow, wooden dummies, lions, music sheets, weapons, etc. No one puts a gun to our heads when we buy the stuff. I think we are all big boys here.

by the way, new lions you say? I got one recently from beijing imports. Wish I would have known sooner. How much? What colors? tail, pants, and all. By the way anyone have info on a drum? Thanks

18elders
01-13-2006, 02:15 PM
yes, pants drums etc.
i'll send a pm with a phone number

GeneChing
01-13-2006, 03:06 PM
...in fact, I posted on the thread on the Southern forum, but it looks like another moderator deleted that one too. As a general policy, we limit any sort of advertising through this site. That's because we have paid sponsors - companies that pay to advertise here - most prominently being our primary sponsor, MartialArtsMart (http://www.martialartsmart.com). Without MartialArtsMart, we could not afford to keep this forum running. It's really not fair to our paid advertisers if you spam ads across our forum here. What's more, most of our members reject spam.

Now, if you'll remember, we inherited this forum from Kung Fu Online several years ago - that was because it had grown so large that they couldn't afford to maintain it anymore. Of course, we've grown a lot since then and the cost of maintainence has risen significantly. I have no problem with the occassional individual selling a few items here, but within limits. If you really want to promote your company, do the honorable thing - support this forum and KungFuMagazine.com by advertising here (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/about/advertise.php).

18elders
01-13-2006, 03:31 PM
Thanks for the info, helps clear things up.

Three Harmonies
01-13-2006, 04:47 PM
I have had several of my posts deleted as well, and not even an explanation why. IMO this forum needs to have some better managment along with it. I am not saying that I should be able to post whatever, but if a post of mine is going to be deleted the honorable thing to do is email me and tell me why. I first came across this forum about 4-5 years ago, and it has only gone down since. I hope you can model after some other forums that are doing a great job, and fix some of these issues.
Thanks
Jake

Ou Ji
01-13-2006, 06:33 PM
There's a difference between someone selling of their collection of videos and someone reselling items for profit. I didn't see your post but it sounds like they are new lions and you're selling them for profit.

I'm sure if you were selling off some old lions there would be more leeway.

yu shan
01-13-2006, 06:51 PM
This is my camp promoting these lions, but rules are rules. I see no harm but that is the way it goes.

green_willow
01-14-2006, 07:42 AM
This is my camp promoting these lions, but rules are rules. I see no harm but that is the way it goes.

Can you send me the brochures of the lions for sale? I think its unfair that the mods deleted your thread. Some healthy competition with the forum's usual MA suppliers will keep everyone honest IMO

Three Harmonies
01-14-2006, 07:49 AM
Seems like there are not "set rules" but merely individuals picking and choosing. I do not see what is wrong with any of it. Is that not what the forums are for?
Jake :)

18elders
01-14-2006, 07:50 AM
if someone is selling something new or used, there is still a monetary transaction.
I for one would not sell a used lion.

Green willow, i will pm you with some info.

Gene, thanks again for the information, i visited their site and they have lions for sale on it. I was unaware of the connection.

Ou Ji
01-14-2006, 10:59 AM
Yes there is a monetary transaction but in the case of used personal items there's not a profit.

Selling for profit, as a business, is different than selling used personal items. Businesses have to pay for advertising, as Gene mentioned. Allowing other to advertise on the forums for free will affect the income generated by ads.

Why pay for an ad if they can just post one online for free?

As a side question: What do you do with your old lions, throw them out?

yu shan
01-14-2006, 04:14 PM
Ou Ji

My Teacher tears a lion to shreds, what is left becomes practice lion for me. :D

Let it go will ya 18, store `em up you`ll get rid of them. It is not like Shifu needs the money. The guy was just thinking about bringing some real quality for others to enjoy. He had room in the container coming over from mainland. Knowing how exuberant Shifu is in the lion, hopefully he will make these last. ;)

Citong Shifu
01-14-2006, 05:03 PM
Hey, Hey, 18elders / Yu Shan,
Please email me your catolog/ information as well. By the way, I do need a couple of used lion for practice lions myself. I have a couple new teams starting and they have demolished what used lions we had. I have one good lion left and their for sure not getting ahold of that one,lol.

I'm am looking to buy new lions here soon anyway. Let me know.

Citong Pai (Sifu Davenport).

Ou Ji
01-14-2006, 05:15 PM
Actually I was thinking of going through his trash if that's where they end up. It beats practicing with an empty box. :D

green_willow
01-14-2006, 11:58 PM
Actually I was thinking of going through his trash if that's where they end up. It beats practicing with an empty box. :D

Yes I can't think of a better workout for kung fu training than with lions. Sure beats using boxes.

18elders
01-15-2006, 12:52 PM
He gives the lions to the local chinese cultural school for them to use. Alot of the shows we do for new years is to support them. He donates the money to them also so the school can continue to grow.

green_willow
01-16-2006, 05:26 AM
He gives the lions to the local chinese cultural school for them to use. Alot of the shows we do for new years is to support them. He donates the money to them also so the school can continue to grow.

That I must say is a very generous thing to do. I mean alot of kung fu instructors survive on donations.

Oso
01-16-2006, 11:50 AM
has anyone ever made a practice lion head out of non-traditional material?

it seems like you could probably make one up, complete w/ levers for eyes and mouth (and ears??? forgive me, this is a whole new aspect for me) out of sturdier materials that could be used for training so you don't eff up your nice lion.

or...even make one that was heavier for training...then you could really pop the show head around.

on the other hand...I think I can see where a lion would be like a weapon in that you get a...feel...for the individual head and it becomes 'your' lion so you would always want to train with the same lion.

looking forward to this.