PDA

View Full Version : Reptilian brain and those who can read French

Crimson Phoenix
09-16-2001, 11:11 AM
You gotta get that book, it's like no other on the martial arts scene:

http://www.amazon.fr/exec/obidos/ASIN/2908580810/402-3849781-7536941

diego
09-22-2001, 10:32 AM
i read something couple a years ago on RB,can you explian how it pertains to MA also could you refresh my memory give me a clear definitian of the rb.

Sam Wiley
09-22-2001, 04:29 PM
The reptile brain is the name some people have dubbed the brainstem area of the brain. The midbrain, pons, and medulla are parts of it. The pons connects cerebrum, cerebellum, and medulla oblongata, and controls coordination if I remember right. The medulla oblongata controls involuntary actions like heartbeat, etc. The mesencephalon, another part, controls seeing and hearing reflexes.

The functions are very important to develop in the martial arts, and are essential to learn proper point striking. The only way to be sure that you actually hit the point is to make the strike a reflex action. That way there is no thought involved.

kungfu cowboy
09-22-2001, 10:48 PM
****, that book sounds good! Is it available in English?

"If do right, no can defense!"----Mr. Miyagi

Braden
09-23-2001, 01:34 AM
Assuming there's no legal issues, I'd be willing to translate that book to English if someone sent me a copy.

Crimson Phoenix
09-23-2001, 10:56 AM
Sam, thanks for the quick and adequate explanation, I can't be so precise in so few words ;-)

Diego, I'm sorry but this book is SO deep that any explanation will be a rip-off of its content (and furthermore, who am I to explain anything??).

As for the translation, I guess there are several problems:
First, YMAA editions was supposed to translate it (I saw that somewhere but no news since): indeed the guy who translates and edits YMAA books in French is the son of one of the authors so I guess the both of them already have an agreement...
Furthermore, Plée isn't the only author of the book: famous ninjutsu master Fujita Saiko is credited as co-author because in the book there are reproductions of all the pressure point charts from various chinese and japanese schools (some clear, some kinda cryptic) that he had gathered during his black-coop with the dreaded squad that had been charged by japanese government to investigate and even try pressure points on war prisonners...I don't know, but there light bee some legal stuffs with this part (the other part, beside a possible YMAA agreement, wouldd not be any problems since the guy is all the least interested in money and did this to leave a last lesson when he retired from teaching...

So I really have no clue, I guess it should come out in English, I just don't know when...maybe you can mail YMAA editions about it...

But if you can read french at a good level, you gotta read this book, it's one of the most intriguing and stimulating books I have ever read...

Take care!

Phoenix