PDA

View Full Version : Choy Lay Fut on Wikipedia

Fu-Pow
01-16-2006, 05:02 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Choy_Lee_Fut#endnote_%E6%B4%AA%E8%81%96

greencloudtj
01-16-2006, 05:10 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Choy_Lee_Fut#endnote_%E6%B4%AA%E8%81%96
Fu pow it might not be a bad idea to go back to some basics,maybe even make a point to go back and work on some line basics,looks as if those kicks need a lot of work,nice job anyway

greencloudtj
01-16-2006, 05:33 PM
Im not one to critisis but people should not put videos of them selfs ON LINE,when it dosent even look like they have gottin all OF the basics down. NOTHING LIKE A VIDEO WITH TERABLE STANCE WORK

Fu-Pow
01-16-2006, 05:35 PM
Fu pow it might not be a bad idea to go back to some basics,maybe even make a point to go back and work on some line basics,looks as if those kicks need a lot of work,nice job anyway

I'm not sure what that has to do with a wikipedia article on CLF. But OK... :rolleyes:

BTW, how old are you?

Fu-Pow
01-16-2006, 05:48 PM
oin Date: Jan 2006
kicks need some work
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fu-Pow
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Choy_Le...B4%AA%E8%81%96

Funny, his 1st post also. Apparently, Green Cloud is sending his "minions" on to the forum to come after me.

*laughs to self... this is so ghey I can hardly believe it*

greencloudtj
01-16-2006, 05:54 PM
I'm not sure what that has to do with a wikipedia article on CLF. But OK... :rolleyes:

BTW, how old are you?

well ill tell you what it has to do with the article on clf you constintley keep posting these videos of your self like you got something,which just indicates one or too things your a show off or just really inexperienced. By the way who is your sifu

Fu-Pow
01-16-2006, 06:01 PM
well ill tell you what it has to do with the article on clf you constintley keep posting these videos of your self like you got something,which just indicates one or too things your a show off or just really inexperienced. By the way who is your sifu

Dear Mr. Troll...crawl back under the rock you came out from under....gack!

Oh BTW, I'm reporting all these totally OT repsonses to the moderator...your days are numbered troll.

Green Cloud
01-16-2006, 08:07 PM
I opoligize for that last comment my student was out of line. His comment has nothing to do with this thread. Green cloudTJ means well he is very loyal, but jumped into this Vid stand off that we are having rather hastily or should I say he was a little late we were arguing a few threads ago. Lets just drop it my people are just mad about your nasty comments you made about killing the CTS thread during the discussion about making it a sticky.

hskwarrior
01-17-2006, 01:11 AM
fu pow,

don't be a snitch. handle your business like a man. i'm not in the middle of this but the one thing i hate to see is someone snitching that people are being harsh.

realize you opened yourself up on this forum by posting your form. you should have known that regardless of how good or bad you are you will always suck fat hairly balls because most of these people on here are haters.

but i have to admit that its admirable for Green Cloud to apologize for his students actions. I wonder if he received any hell for what he did.

that reminds me of when Shane Lacey was on the Doghouse morning show in SF, and a hoover chan student (wing Chun) got on the phone and said "my master can beat up your father (vince Lacey....ooops my bad.) and word got back to hoover chan who almost sheet on himself. Hoover chan had to go to the laceys buk sing kwoon to apologize and pour tea for master Lacey.

the very next day a meeting was set up with the guy who made that stupid claim. all of a sudden you can hear someone getting the crap kicked out of him and then shane lacey spout off the chan family 10 rules of conduct.

peace......lets' keep it .

Fu-Pow
01-17-2006, 11:50 AM
fu pow,

don't be a snitch. handle your business like a man. i'm not in the middle of this but the one thing i hate to see is someone snitching that people are being harsh.

Frank, that is how you handle trolls 'like a man' on the forum. If the mods actually did their job this would be a much better place to discuss kung fu....but I digress.

realize you opened yourself up on this forum by posting your form. you should have known that regardless of how good or bad you are you will always suck fat hairly balls because most of these people on here are haters.

That's fine if people want to criticize my form...if it is constructive. After I posted my form originally in this southern forum and got comments from you, xtrajoseph, premier and others I thought about some things in my form and how I was approaching training. It actually motivated me to do better and train harder.

However,

1) The criticism I will respond to is constructive. Not "your form is weak" or "those stances suck." That's just not helpful and that's when I stop listening and start asking for credentials, video proof of what you know, etc. If my Sifu told me "you suck" I'd listen if John Doe tells me that I might as well have cotton in my ears.

2) I've been interacting with some folks in this forum for many years now and I have a sense of who knows what....even if they might suck in real life. I'm not gonna listen to somebody who is new to the forum without some sort of proof of what you know. Everyone is entitled to their opinion and you can say what you want but expect that if you come after me I won't lay down for it.

3) Comments about my form, even if constructive (which most are not), belong in a thread about my video which was already posted in this forum and now in the main forum as well.

For these reasons, somebody like greencloudtj who I know nothing about, whose first post is a negative attack on my form and is totally off-topic....can say what he wants..... but he has zero credibility with me and I won't lay down for it.

I'm confident in what I know and what others don't know. I purposely put the highest level form that I know on the forum even though it might not be my best form. My Sifu has alway told me to challenge myself. When I perform I almost always do the form that I just finished learning or present the biggest challenges for me. That's how you learn, that's how you stay motivated....that's how you get better.

but i have to admit that its admirable for Green Cloud to apologize for his students actions. I wonder if he received any hell for what he did.

I agree my respect for him went up at least 5 1/2 pts.

hskwarrior
01-17-2006, 12:08 PM
fu pow,

having a rival who criticizes anything about you instead of taking it personally, use it as ammunition to get better.

I experienced that when i had this one filipino classmate of mine who used to try and make my life miserable. he had a good time doing all that sheet to me, but what he didn't realize was that i literally took the saying "if it doesn't kill you it can only make you stronger" to heart. I used that animosity to sharpen up my skills, i didn't know if i was ever going to have to fight this cat, but i wanted to be ready in case it went down.

i recall i let a wing chun guy place a phoenix fist on my stomach because he was tellling me how he used a certain technique. this class mate of mine used that to attack me everyday when he thought i wasn't looking or paying attention. he was having a good ol time sneaking a shot at me when i wasn't looking and then tried to publicly ridicule me.

what he didn't realize was it actually taught me to be ready at any given notice, instantly. over time i began to easily block his attacks in which he started backing off after that. i guess that where i say my blocking skills are pretty good, because it has saved me from attacks from my classmate.

anyways, if my negative comments towards your form made you look at it in a different light, then you have actually elevated your own personal training. accept all the negative attention and use it to fine tune the parts "they" think you lack.

you are a tall cat. i personally think you need to take a wider stance but not too wide you can't maneuver properly, but you should see from anothers view point to get better. always be open to get better, and never let yourself think you are at the top. never stop learning. because when you stop learning you get passed by by those who want to continue to grow.

anyways, i think you said when you posted that form you only knew it for 2-3 years i think. that's not really a long time to perfect that form. you should keep working at it. hell i still work at our very first form (cheung kuen) and still find new things.

you did a good job in your form, just not good enough to think that psycho net ninja's won't attack. you know its also because they know they couldn't do better.

like our Fut San HSK saying goes, never back down from a fight, and fight to win.

frank

iron_silk
01-17-2006, 12:51 PM
Frank seem to have shared some advice from the heart. Good to hear.

Sorry to butt in but I think if the person intent was to insult but disguise it as "critic" then I think defending yourself either verbally (or typing this case) or physically is the same.

I mean yeah you can definitely take all this (even from someone who's attacking you) and do something good with it, but that doesn't you don't defend yourself or position either.

Fu-Pow
01-17-2006, 01:29 PM
Frank, Iron_Silk,

Thanks for the input. I appreciate it.

So can we get this thread back on track? Did you guys read the wikpedia entry?

You know, you can change it as well that's the cool thing about wikipedia.

CLFNole
01-17-2006, 01:36 PM
They should put the Lee Koon Hung lineage in a new category called:

Chan Family/Jeurng Yim Lineage.

Peace.

greencloudtj
01-17-2006, 04:30 PM
fu-pow I do apologize for my comments,I was just a little upset for your replys to my sifu a couple of forums ago. my sifu punished me with a 1.5 hours horse stance in the corner of the room while the rest of the room worked out. I had no problem with that,I just have extremley high respect for sifu. non the less sifu gus explaned to me that sometimes the video can distort a persons true abilities,and that it wasn't clear how tall you really are and the stage was small. So can we please keep the peace:) The dictionary was very informative

greencloudtj
01-17-2006, 05:13 PM
Has any one heard of lohan chuan fa

greencloudtj
01-17-2006, 05:13 PM

greencloudtj
01-17-2006, 05:14 PM
Has any one heard of lohan chuan fa and is it a lagit system??

Fu-Pow
01-17-2006, 06:03 PM
fu-pow I do apologize for my comments,I was just a little upset for your replys to my sifu a couple of forums ago. my sifu punished me with a 1.5 hours horse stance in the corner of the room while the rest of the room worked out. I had no problem with that,I just have extremley high respect for sifu. non the less sifu gus explaned to me that sometimes the video can distort a persons true abilities,and that it wasn't clear how tall you really are and the stage was small. So can we please keep the peace:) The dictionary was very informative

Wow, the respect quotient just went up another 5 1/2 points.

We're all good.

I do hope to see some of your guys Choy Lay Fut up on web not as "proof" of anything but because I think it represents a somewhat independent branch of CLF. In addition, I'm curious to see how Chan Tai San's other influences (eg Lama) informed his Choy Lay Fut.

Hopefully we can work towards a more constructive dialogue in the future with more video and more input.

Take care and keep it real.

Peace.

Fu-Pow
01-17-2006, 07:09 PM
They should put the Lee Koon Hung lineage in a new category called:

Chan Family/Jeurng Yim Lineage.

Peace.

Agree. Others, like Wong Doc Fai would fit in that category too...hybrids, if you will. If you want to change the page you can. I think anyone with basic html knowledge can change the page.

I added Mak Fai to the schools section.

greencloudtj
01-17-2006, 07:56 PM
Wow, the respect quotient just went up another 5 1/2 points.

We're all good.

I do hope to see some of your guys Choy Lay Fut up on web not as "proof" of anything but because I think it represents a somewhat independent branch of CLF. In addition, I'm curious to see how Chan Tai San's other influences (eg Lama) informed his Choy Lay Fut.

Hopefully we can work towards a more constructive dialogue in the future with more video and more input.

Take care and keep it real.

Peace.
Hopfully we will have some video on our website in the near future,is choy lay fut the only kung fu style you have trained in??have a good one

Green Cloud
01-17-2006, 10:40 PM

lohan chuan should be a new thread not on this thread. Start a new thread:confused: Don't post a reply go to list of threads and go to the bottom where it says new threads.

Fu-Pow
01-18-2006, 11:32 AM
Hopfully we will have some video on our website in the near future,is choy lay fut the only kung fu style you have trained in??have a good one

I also train in Hun Yuan Chen Shi Tai Ji Chuan....a derivative of Chen Taiji that also has influence from Tong Bei and Xin Yi.

Its about as different from Choy Lay Fut as night is from day.

iron_silk
01-18-2006, 12:56 PM
I've seen some differences in CLF even within from the same lineage. Like I've seen Mak Kin Fai perform a set and then I've seen Li Siu Hung and it's slightly different.

Also I've other lineage Sam Ng, Doc Fai Wong (yeah Fu-Pow his branch does seem to be a bit slow...but I only saw it on crappy vid clip...I wonder what he look like when he was young?), and of course I've seen the CLF I use to learn when I was young and how it differs from different students of my sifu.

They all have their good points and I enjoy watching the videos over and over again and seeing how they do the same thing differently. Kind of who does what better kind of thing.

Fu-Pow, sorry if this is off topic. :p

CLFNole
01-18-2006, 01:01 PM
I think everyone plays their CLF differently, which is why I like kung fu so much. Within our own line (Lee Koon Hung) so prefer low stances and others high. Some have real long movements and others shorter. Some like to use a lot of power while other opt for a looser type of power.

You will also find differences when people follow a sifu at different times because the sifu's style will evolve over time. For example Fu-Pow's sifu, Mak Hin Fai followed Lee Koon Hung in the 1970s, whereas I followed him in the 1990s. Each generation does things slightly different and the students in the 1980s might be slightly different as well.

In the end its all good and a student needs to find their own niche and what works well for them and their body style.

Peace.

iron_silk
01-18-2006, 01:31 PM
Agreed!

It's really interesting seeing the differences isn't it?

Thanks for the details.

hskwarrior
01-18-2006, 01:35 PM
in defense of DFW.......

the lau bun branch for years practiced our gung fu almost at a tai chi speed for decades. As i've said in the past, since we were the only choy lee fut in america up until somewhere around the 80's we had nothing to compare our gung fu to. the same went with lion dancing.

until the likes of Lee Koon Hung (who "we" used to say is Hong Kong Choy Lee Fut because of the flashiness) as well as the lacey's we began to re-emphasize the life in our forms and now we are up to speed with everyone else. even i had no clue to do our gung fu faster in performances. we did them slow for the crowd to see the technique.

hopefully the new generations of Hung Sing students will better represent our lineage from now on. in fact, i am teaching out of my sifu's school now and i have some new young classmates that are learning che kuen, but practice it kinda slow.
last night they came in and saw my students in a group practicing che kuen fast and hard. I heard one of the young classmates (highschool age) ask my sifu "what set is that?" and my sifu tells them the one they are learning now., that's how it looks when its done properly.

peace.

oh yeah, I agree that there should be a separate line for hybrids. that would be cool to see how many pure ones would come to learn both sides. my dream one day is to (for my personal use) learn all three branches of CLF. wow, what an experience that would be?

CLFNole
01-18-2006, 02:43 PM
Frank:

Personally I think a lot of sifus "cross-trained" back in the day. They didn't have the politics we have today they would just go an learn various specialties from different sifus. I bet many of today's older sifus are the same although they might not admit it.

Personally I think the LKH lineage has some buk sing influence in it although I cannot be 100% certain. All of our punches are done with some type of panther fist and we have do tradition fist straight punches at all. Fists are held in certain techinques like sow choy, cup choy, etc... but we never do a normal punch will a fist. If that doesn't scream buk sing I don't know what does.

Peace.

Infrazael
01-18-2006, 03:22 PM
Frank:

Personally I think a lot of sifus "cross-trained" back in the day. They didn't have the politics we have today they would just go an learn various specialties from different sifus. I bet many of today's older sifus are the same although they might not admit it.

Personally I think the LKH lineage has some buk sing influence in it although I cannot be 100% certain. All of our punches are done with some type of panther fist and we have do tradition fist straight punches at all. Fists are held in certain techinques like sow choy, cup choy, etc... but we never do a normal punch will a fist. If that doesn't scream buk sing I don't know what does.

Peace.

Mabye it's me but I think I play my CLF *longer* than my Sifu . . . . I also have less speed and flexibility than him so my stuff is definitely "harder" not as whippy. . . . . dunno if that's a good or bad thing. I've heard some CLF guys playing it close to Hung Ga and still being good fighters.

As for Buk Sing. . . . . hmmmm well I'd seen alot of the LKH guys stay perfectly straight when doing Yin, Yan or whatever other Chop Choys you have. . . . I tend to drive "in" and lean forward. . . . depending on the technique. I haven't seen other LKH guys do it.

I've talked to the other Hung Sing guys (Sifu Ng up in the UK and stuff) and they never do it like Buk Sing. Different interpretations I guess. . . .

I wouldn't doubt it if Sigung learned from Buk Sing. After all, back then it was "learn what's effective" not "learn what's the most *politically correct*"

hskwarrior
01-18-2006, 04:38 PM
clfnole,

i know thats a strong possibility. it must have been a nicer Choy lee fut world back then.

but when you think you have buk sing in your lineage you must realize first and foremost that buk sing IS hung sing choy lee fut with a little northern flavor. At first when i saw the fut san hung sing choy lee fut people doing there sets, i wasn't impressed too much. but what got me was they are hardcore muther effers when it comes to fighting. they hit for real. there is a lot of the regular closed fists, and such that you see in buk sing.

the good thing about buk sing is they approach their CLF strictly from a fighting point of view, which means im sure they would throw away stuff that doesn't work or modify it to make it work. we have always used the closed fist, just more with the thumb tucked on top sow choy like. since we throw a lot of sow choys we usually use that fist over all.

gotta jet, i'm outtie like 5000 gee.

hsk

CLFNole
01-18-2006, 08:11 PM
Frank:

I know hung sing and buk sing are basically the same. What I was implying was the heavy emphasis on the chop choy usage thats all. To me CLF is CLF.

Infrazel:

As a relative neewbie to CLF you will find in the early stages you will always be harder because you have less of an understanding of feel and flow. As you follow your sifu over time you will understand what I mean and your CLF will evolve. The key is to stick with a sifu and follow him. It sounds to me like yo don't attend your school so much, so my advise would be go as often as you can. Practicing away from the school is nice but without proper supervision you will eventually develop bad habits. CLF can be played long while still being fast, this is the style that Joe (Sow Choy) and I play since this is the way we were taught.

Peace.

bean curd
01-19-2006, 12:10 AM
HSK say that Shane is David Lacey son, this is incorrect, Shane is son of Vince Lacey.

just clarifying so there is no confusion or misunderstanding

gwa sow
01-19-2006, 08:16 AM
i think infrazael also does boxing and muay tai. sounds like he is busy

hskwarrior
01-19-2006, 08:21 AM
if i said shane was dave's son pls put the post where i said this.

I know vince lacey is shane's father. i paid visits to both of them. and for a minute was having lunch with dave lacey on sundays.

thanks for clarifying that though i really appreciate it.

i look forward to see where i said that. post it up please.

hsk

Ben Gash
01-19-2006, 08:27 AM
Um, sorry Frank but he's got you bang to rights. In your first post on this thread you do indeed identify David lacey as Shane Lacey's father (it always confuses me, so hey :) :cool: ).

hskwarrior
01-19-2006, 08:47 AM
:o :o :o

oops, my bad!!!

it was a type-o. i know who's who. sorry :o

but i don't know if i ever said this before but i'll tell this story of when i went to pay a visit to Vince Lacey at his school in Fremont.

Well, since the arrivals of both vince and dave lacey to the bay area we never got to meet them. we would see them around at tournments, and my classmates have competed and won against the buk sing group. So in an act of good will, i paid a visit to the fremont school so we can introduce our selves. i went there alone.

Master Vince Lacey was the perfect host. he showed me around his studio and then took me back to his office. Shane was there in the office and i think one other person. every thing was going smoothly when all of a sudden the air got thick and i sensed something was about to go down. Master Lacey was sitting then turned and faced me with a very serious look on his face.

I knew something was about to jump off so i scooted to the edge of my chair in case it did. but then Master Lacey asked me if my sifu was teaming up with his twin brother (dave) along with the wah ching and Hop sing tong to come after him.

he told me that this well known karate guy (ray lozada-he's been in mortal kombat and in batman) told him this. well, i set the story straight and put him at ease. i said if we had a problem with them they would hear it straight from us and not some karate guy. He dropped his guard and it was all love again.

but Master Vince Lacey then left the office for a moment and then asked me to follow him. i walked out into the school with him only to find about 20-30 students all standing at attention while Master Lacey introduced me to his school. He then asked them to Bow to me since i'm a sifu under hung sing kwoon. THAT, was a little mind boggling since i didn't expect such a thing. i completely felt blessed.

hsk