PDA

View Full Version : Att Sevenstar....muay thai questions:)

diego
01-16-2006, 09:19 PM
http://www.muaythai.com/images/maemai/ErawanSueynga1.jpg

buddy punching has the weight on which leg? Also do you have any vid clips of stance usage in muay thai?
Someone showed me how to do the thai roundhouse (been wondering forever) and now i'm trying to understand the basics of muay thai (mad broke right now, so this is all i get!)

diego
01-16-2006, 09:53 PM
found this site: http://www.elbowko.com/

good sh*t up in there!...also what's the power chain like in thai punches?...wing chun likes to use little shoulder movement and follows through with the elbow...wheras hop gar like to throw the shoulder right into the opponnent

tell me sumthin Miyagi.pz

Pork Chop
01-16-2006, 09:59 PM
mechanics should be same as boxing.

depends on the body punch.
in the picture, the guy on the right is throwing a lead upper.

for the lead upper, the weight is on the lead leg, which is propelling the weight upwards (picture thrusting your lead hip up towards them).

for the rear upper, the weight transitions a bit from rear leg to front; again the weight bearing leg is thrusting upwards (your rear hip thrusting forward and upward).

for a hook, the body weight is also on the lead, but instead of propelling straight up, it's twisting- like you're putting out a cigarette (turning your lead hip through them) .

for a lead straight, the weight's on the back foot, it slightly transitions to the front foot, but still majority is on the back (thrusting your lead hip straight at them)

for a rear straight, the bodyweight transitions fully, with propulsion, from the back leg to the front leg. You can do this like a rear hook, where you're twisting your rear hip through the target, or you can do like the drop step and thrust the rear hip into them.

hope it helps

Pork Chop
01-16-2006, 10:02 PM
elbowko is the coach of khun kao charuad from this site, aka my coach.

diego
01-16-2006, 10:09 PM
for a hook, the body weight is also on the lead, but instead of propelling straight up, it's twisting- like you're putting out a cigarette (turning your lead hip through them) .

for a lead straight, the weight's on the back foot, it slightly transitions to the front foot, but still majority is on the back (thrusting your lead hip straight at them)

http://www.elbowko.com/images/b1-2.jpg

Thanks for the quick reply. In Ken Shamrocks lion den book or whatever it's called he shows the Jab, Cross, and Hook punches of MT that he uses in MMA's. When he does the jab it looks similar to the pic' above, but he has his lead heel lifted and the toes face close to three o'clock and the heel would face 9 o'clock, while he is punching his opponnent at 12 o'clock...is that what you mean by "extingiush the ciggarrette?"

diego
01-16-2006, 10:16 PM
elbowko is the coach of khun kao charuad from this site, aka my coach.
small world eh:)

forgot to ask in my last ken shamrock post...I have heard that it is bad in kung fu to kick and lift your support heel, and I'm curious what is the reasoning behind why MT does this?...in kung fu i heard something about you can get swept off your feet etc if you do this...Also Iabout that Ken Shamrock book...does MT Punch and raise the heel of the support leg, like they do with the knee's and feet/shins?.

Gonna order you teachers video asap...dude looks like he is forty if that...what is he mid or early 60's?

Pork Chop
01-16-2006, 11:30 PM
"putting out the cigarette" is the twisting motion of the balls of your feet grinding against the floor, when your body is doing the corkscrew motion of throwing a lead hook.

so no, it wouldn't be the same "stepping onto the balls of your feet" that he's showing with the jab. it's purely for the lead hook- your heel should swing out, makin your foot perpendicular to the general direction of your opponent.

On a rear hook or cross w/corkscrew power, you're not really doing the cigarette thing.

I had a problem with the "going up on the balls of the toes" thing as well.

In a good round kick, your foot is actually kinda flat coz you're stepping 45, not just pivoting on the ball of your foot.

in general, staying on the balls of your feet is an issue of mobility (being able to close in or retreat quickly) or getting your hips more into the motion. There are definitely times that you'll want to be flat footed. Pivoting on the ball of the foot is usually a split second thing, where your heel lifts up a bit, pivots and then settles back in. However with knees, you'll wanna rise up on the balls of your toes to increase your upward force- sliding/skipping kicks are a similar principle.

muay thai people, in general, are more flat footed than boxers. muay thai is nowhere near as mobile (unless they're flying).

for boxing (for everything actually) you'll be more flat footed when you're really trying to drop some power, and on your toes when you want to be nimble.

diego
01-17-2006, 12:58 AM
"putting out the cigarette" is the twisting motion of the balls of your feet grinding against the floor, when your body is doing the corkscrew motion of throwing a lead hook.

so no, it wouldn't be the same "stepping onto the balls of your feet" that he's showing with the jab. it's purely for the lead hook- your heel should swing out, makin your foot perpendicular to the general direction of your opponent.

On a rear hook or cross w/corkscrew power, you're not really doing the cigarette thing.

I had a problem with the "going up on the balls of the toes" thing as well.

In a good round kick, your foot is actually kinda flat coz you're stepping 45, not just pivoting on the ball of your foot.

in general, staying on the balls of your feet is an issue of mobility (being able to close in or retreat quickly) or getting your hips more into the motion. There are definitely times that you'll want to be flat footed. Pivoting on the ball of the foot is usually a split second thing, where your heel lifts up a bit, pivots and then settles back in. However with knees, you'll wanna rise up on the balls of your toes to increase your upward force- sliding/skipping kicks are a similar principle.

muay thai people, in general, are more flat footed than boxers. muay thai is nowhere near as mobile (unless they're flying).

for boxing (for everything actually) you'll be more flat footed when you're really trying to drop some power, and on your toes when you want to be nimble.

was just watching the elbow KO 3 clip on the elbowco webpage and when Master k does the like 6 left elbows to the side of the jaw, and then swings in for r ight to the front....I'm just like ouch, ouch ouch.......:)

Thanks a lot for your help. I printed a bunch of posts that I found doing a google search that were written by your teacher, so I know I'm going to have more questions.
Take care

diego
01-17-2006, 01:16 AM
I have another request for anyone that can help me. While watching Master k practise his elbow techniques, I suddennly realized that I need some Video's of MT knockouts.

Anyone have some good MT fight links?.

hskwarrior
01-17-2006, 01:16 AM
diego,

the picture next to your name, is that a picture of Harry NG?

it's a shame how he was killed. the crzy thing about it is that i have met the man who killed harry ng, he is out of jail now, and back to teaching gung fu.
\
what do you know about his death?

hsk

SevenStar
01-17-2006, 04:00 PM
good answers so far. I didn't notice this thread before, so my bad for not responding sooner.

SevenStar
01-17-2006, 04:07 PM

This is what people are referring to when they say "sitting down on the punch"

Pork Chop
01-17-2006, 08:27 PM
This is what people are referring to when they say "sitting down on the punch"

DOH! Musta forgot to mention it. nice catch!

This is Bmore Banga btw- changed my name sometime back and wasn't sure who knew.

SevenStar
01-18-2006, 12:17 PM
I didn't know you trained MT... I thought you were a san shou guy.

Pork Chop
01-18-2006, 08:19 PM
I was takin trips down to khun kao's gym sporadically for over a year until last January when I decided to switch my focus from san shou to muay thai.
Mainly, my reasoning was that my san shou coach was never around and i felt i needed more guidance before i ever stepped another foot in the ring.
The more I do it, the more I like it.
I like sweeps, but in general I'm not big on takedowns.
I also feel like Muay Thai's got a little more of a set 'gameplan'; though I try to mix in sanshou techniques & mobility to really mess with peoples' heads. lol

diego
01-23-2006, 09:58 PM
diego,

the picture next to your name, is that a picture of Harry NG?

it's a shame how he was killed. the crzy thing about it is that i have met the man who killed harry ng, he is out of jail now, and back to teaching gung fu.
\
what do you know about his death?

hsk
What i heard was something about...he was teaching kids who worked for some triads...the kids tried extorting the triads, or they were acting up and the triads told them to chill...they didn't...the triads told Harry to calm the kids...he couldn't...a 14 year old shot harry in the knees and in the chest or something as a message to the kids stirring up the toilet...something something.

Buddy on this forum that was around in those days told me about it...can't remember his name and have no idea where my notes are:)

Sevenstar and Pork chop, thanks for the replys, and I'm upping this thread...been offline for a bit, but every tuesday i see my buddy at the pool and he is always showing me a bit more about MT, so I got mad questions, just hella busy.
peace