PDA

View Full Version : Bok-nam Park

Stranger
03-10-2001, 08:47 AM
Can anybody comment on any training experiences they have had with him? How is his book? How are his videos? Is he Yin Fu (terribly sorry if I got the name wrong, no disrespect was intended) style?

Kenji
03-10-2001, 03:15 PM
His books imho are excellent reading. It shows good basic training methods and some applications with detailed explanations. I think its training methods and techniques are applicable to anyone of any styles. One of his teacher's teacher is Yin Fu I think but it says in the book that the other teacher is of unknown origin but taught circular methods. He doesnt hold the palms in the standard yin fu way when circle walking but I think the characteristics are quite Yin Fu in a lot of ways.

There was a guy here called JimLin who trains under Park. if you can find his posts and get his email you maybe be able to find out more about Park.

razakdigital
03-10-2001, 05:06 PM
I went a Nam seminar and I know a few cats that trian with him as well as affiliates...My opinion is Nam is a great teacher that demands loyalty and hardwork. He loves fundementals and combat...from what I've seen he trains traditional and he seems to be open to teach anyone...His books are excellent I have both and they are bibles for pa kua fundenmentals...his videos are excellent also...as far as Yin Fu the only thing I've seen of Yin Fu style in his form is piercing palm...but I'm a not student of his so I'm sure his students can correct me on this statement...

RAF
03-13-2001, 12:44 AM
I have read one of his books, saw a couple of articles on his post training, and, in general, would take bagua training with him if I were not with my present teacher.

We do our Gong Bao Tian's transmission with and without ox tongue palm. When I train the 8 mother palms, I always use an open hand (fingers spaced out).

If you have the opportunity to take a seminar with by all means do so. He seems very open regarding his system and that really is impressive.

Scarletmantis
03-13-2001, 01:39 AM
Liang Zhen Pu style features the piercing palm in seven of it's eight Lao Ba Zhang. We do it with the "dragon palm" common to Cheng's style. When I look through my lineage charts, I see no conection with Yin Fu style whatsoever. Is it a commonly held opinion that Yin Fu originated the piercing palm? If so, how did it work it's way into Liang's version? Is it possible that Dong Hai Chuan taught the piercing palm to Yin Fu and Liang Zhen Pu both? Just curious.

"The essence of life is struggle and it's goal is domination. There are higher goals and deeper meanings, but they exist only within the minds of men. The reality of life is war."