PDA

View Full Version : Will vs. Ability

Jeff Bussey
01-19-2006, 06:03 AM
Hey,

This morning I was in the gym jumping rope, and when I hit about the 10 minute mark, I had to stop because of my calves (I've had bad shin splints in the past). I was sweating a bit and not out of breath. So I stopped and went on to something else. In my head, I didn't give up at 10 minutes, I was forced to stop and got frustrated. Then I realized, that I separate my will versus my physical ability.

Does anyone else think like that?

In my head I could have jumped rope for another 20 or 30 minutes but my body said nope.

I'm wondering if this is the beginning of a split personality ( :rolleyes: hmmmm ) or if other people think like this.

I'm pretty sure, that it's this factor that has caused most of my injuries. So just wanted to put it out there in case you are prone to injuries.

J

Mortal1
01-19-2006, 09:42 AM
Great post! I missed some time from my wushu class over the holidays. Gained some pounds. So when I went back I tryed to move the way I used to. I got hurt. I'm just getting old.

Mortal1
01-19-2006, 09:44 AM
Great post! I missed some time from my wushu class over the holidays. Gained some pounds. So when I went back I tryed to move the way I used to. I pulled some muscles. Now I am always thinking don't go to hard you might get hurt I'm just getting old.

Tom Kagan
01-19-2006, 11:07 AM
Hey,

This morning I was in the gym jumping rope, and when I hit about the 10 minute mark, I had to stop because of my calves (I've had bad shin splints in the past). I was sweating a bit and not out of breath. So I stopped and went on to something else. In my head, I didn't give up at 10 minutes, I was forced to stop and got frustrated. Then I realized, that I separate my will versus my physical ability.

In my head I could have jumped rope for another 20 or 30 minutes but my body said nope.

I'm wondering if this is the beginning of a split personality ( :rolleyes: hmmmm ) or if other people think like this.

I'm pretty sure, that it's this factor that has caused most of my injuries. So just wanted to put it out there in case you are prone to injuries.

J

Plbpbpbpbpbtt!!!!!

If I listened to my body, I'd still be in bed with the covers pulled over my head and polishing off my third box of Bon Bons.

Take care of your chronic injuries with the proper theraputic modalities and medical support. Solve the shin-splint problem by training smarter, not training less. (Specifically, look into strengthening your Anterior Tibialis muscles.)

Force yourself! Worry about overtraining when you overtrain. Getting old is no excuse for getting lazy. It doesn't matter if you are in the same boat as others.

Liddel
01-19-2006, 02:34 PM
I like where this is going.

Taking it one step further...

Will can and is often a deciding factor in fighting IMO, ive seen people withstand locks and chokes because they were very fired up (huge will to win).

Ive also encountered a big angry guy in a fight that took a full front kick in the groin ( snapped and landed flush ! ) from an opponent with steel cap boots and it just ****ed him off... :mad:

Will is a very important part of a fighting mindset...survival of the fitest also includes the fitest mind.
If we harness our " will " and focus it we can do things our bodies normally cant handle, but if we cant control it, it can turn on you and become fear.
:eek:

Mortal1
01-19-2006, 03:04 PM
Another good post!

I agree.

Will is everything. You have to want it.

I might be getting up there in age but I have great will. I want it.

I don't know if it was directed at me but I am a hyper type a personality. Lazy isn't in my vocabulary.

Scott R. Brown
01-19-2006, 04:02 PM
Will can be a blessing or a curse!

Unrestrained Will in a crisis will enhance the opportunity for success or survival. Unrestrained Will in everyday life, for example training, can cause injuries that inhibit our opportunity to train.

Will must be controlled with reason and not allowed unrestrained freedom. In my younger days I suffered numerous injuries because the strength of my Will superseded the strength of my body.

Properly focused Will creates ability where ability was once absent! Ability is nothing without the Will to use it!

Hendrik
01-19-2006, 06:07 PM
This morning I was in the gym jumping rope, and when I hit about the 10 minute mark, I had to stop because of my calves (I've had bad shin splints in the past). I was sweating a bit and not out of breath. So I stopped and went on to something else.

In my head, I didn't give up at 10 minutes, I was forced to stop and got frustrated. Then I realized, that I separate my will versus my physical ability.

I'm wondering if this is the beginning of a split personality ( :rolleyes: hmmmm ) or if other people think like this. -------------

Thank you for your Loving sharing!

IMHO,

You are just experience what is reality.

As XLM propose, every layer has its own "inteligent". and if you want to take or train that Layer somewhere, there has to be Pre-train conditioning in additional to the Training of the layer itself. Dragging the layer with other layer brute forcely can cause destructive breakdown.

I'm pretty sure, that it's this factor that has caused most of my injuries. So just wanted to put it out there in case you are prone to injuries. --------

Sure, forcing a layer without knowing its characteristics or ignoring a layer causing trouble.

IMHO, that "will" " layer 3 stuffs" is only a "layer "which is in equal position to all other layers. it is not the true master. Will give one a temporaly sustain control. however, Will will fail one as the physical body degrade or even just eating different diet because Will needs the support of the Physical platform. Even as people who is on diet to lost weight. once the hunger or desire of certain taste of food arise to a certain level, will is gone.

However, we never think that way. we think the will will support everything. that is true to a certain degree but cant carry too far.

The one which is can sustain us is the Awareness which is the layer 4. That is the reason of surrendering. via surrendering. the Awareness surface and one "sees" what is needed for all others layers. Without the Surrendering, we often use our Will to block out other layers. with the layer 4 or Awareness being turn on, we will "know" or "feel" what each layer's needs and functions......

Another example is pay attention to what happen before and after we entering into sleep. The Awareness is always there. but the will weaken when the eyes lid droping lower and lower.....

I am not trying to sell the XLM here but if the XLM works use it. It is free anyway.

peace and take care.

viper
01-19-2006, 06:56 PM
the use of the will to do better in turn increses our ability because we push ourselves to be better. also there is a point where the body will take over to say stop ie pain early warning system not as to say you cant push through but eventually you will stop because the body wont allow nemore.

Jeff Bussey
01-20-2006, 03:24 AM
Plbpbpbpbpbtt!!!!!

If I listened to my body, I'd still be in bed with the covers pulled over my head and polishing off my third box of Bon Bons.

Take care of your chronic injuries with the proper theraputic modalities and medical support. Solve the shin-splint problem by training smarter, not training less. (Specifically, look into strengthening your Anterior Tibialis muscles.)

Force yourself! Worry about overtraining when you overtrain. Getting old is no excuse for getting lazy. It doesn't matter if you are in the same boat as others.

Hey Tom,
I think listening to your body is a good thing. In fact the only good thing that has come out of my injuries is that I know when I'm getting close to having another one (in my jumping rope example). To me that it is training smart, because I can do another 10 minutes maybe 12 the next day and build from there. I agree, not to pack it in when you feel that coming on, but just change exercies so you can keep training.
Can't help you about the bon bons though :D

J

Jeff Bussey
01-20-2006, 03:30 AM
Great post! I missed some time from my wushu class over the holidays. Gained some pounds. So when I went back I tryed to move the way I used to. I pulled some muscles. Now I am always thinking don't go to hard you might get hurt I'm just getting old.

Hey Mortal1,
Don't think about the getting old thing at all. Learn to read your body's reactions to things and that will tell you when you're getting close to another injury. Since I've been doing that, I've been much happier, because I can train another day, instead of going to physio. My main goal is that I want to do some sort of training everyday.
I'm cranky when I can't so it's best for everyone if I do :D

J

Jeff Bussey
01-20-2006, 03:38 AM
I like where this is going.

Taking it one step further...

Will can and is often a deciding factor in fighting IMO, ive seen people withstand locks and chokes because they were very fired up (huge will to win).

Ive also encountered a big angry guy in a fight that took a full front kick in the groin ( snapped and landed flush ! ) from an opponent with steel cap boots and it just ****ed him off... :mad:

Will is a very important part of a fighting mindset...survival of the fitest also includes the fitest mind.
If we harness our " will " and focus it we can do things our bodies normally cant handle, but if we cant control it, it can turn on you and become fear.
:eek:

Hi Liddel
This is exactly true. Your will can determine the outcome. I've broken my hand twice when I was younger (from fighting) partly because I didn't have a proper fist :p but also because I had to hit them more times and put out the pain of my hand.
BTW, a little tid bit, don't punch someone pretty much above the eybrow line. It's hard up there :D

If we go outside of fighting for a little bit, will can be used in other areas of your life. Going for a job interview or doing a presentation at work. Your will can get you through it. I'm not the greatest motivational speaker but you probably get what I'm saying

J

Jeff Bussey
01-20-2006, 03:45 AM
Will can be a blessing or a curse!

Unrestrained Will in a crisis will enhance the opportunity for success or survival. Unrestrained Will in everyday life, for example training, can cause injuries that inhibit our opportunity to train.

Will must be controlled with reason and not allowed unrestrained freedom. In my younger days I suffered numerous injuries because the strength of my Will superseded the strength of my body.

Properly focused Will creates ability where ability was once absent! Ability is nothing without the Will to use it!

Hey Scott,
I agree with you on most of what you said, except that I see will as only a good thing. It's our controlling it, that is the problem (like you said) IMO, I would rather have uncontrolled will and learn to control it, than have no will at all, because it's what drives us. When you feel like you're competing against someone, it's your will that keeps you going and brings you out on top.
The good thing is that I've made most of my mistakes when I was younger and could recover quickly. I said most because I probably have a whole bunch just waiting to happen, hence my learning curve :D

J

Jeff Bussey
01-20-2006, 03:49 AM
the use of the will to do better in turn increses our ability because we push ourselves to be better. also there is a point where the body will take over to say stop ie pain early warning system not as to say you cant push through but eventually you will stop because the body wont allow nemore.

Hey Viper,
I agree. As long as we can read our body, and listen to it, we should be all right. Will allows us to push the envelope a little, play with that area where an injury is about to happen. I don't stop at the first sign, I go a little bit further, cause I like to know as much abou my thresholds as possible. Then again, I'm not a good listener so my advice may not be the best :p

J

Scott R. Brown
01-20-2006, 09:30 AM
Hi Jeff,

Yes, I agree! One is better off with a Will they must learn to control than none at all.

Matrix
01-21-2006, 10:38 AM
Will allows us to push the envelope a little, play with that area where an injury is about to happen.Jeff,
Will is an attempt to force the situation through the effort of the mind. Listening to what your body is telling you requires that you not force the situation but rather flow with it. This may very well mean that you continue on with the exercise, but you do so in a much more relaxed state.