PDA

View Full Version : OT: Virus

PangQuan
01-19-2006, 11:38 PM
hey, im not too internet keen.

i get home and fire up the ol pc. its doing this thing where all the icons and the task bar disapears and programs shut down and u have to restart.

i come here for help.

does anyone know where i can get a program for free that will remove spyware/virus stuff.

sorry for this random topic. i just dont really have any idea what to do and im cheap. :D

monkeyfoot
01-20-2006, 02:10 AM
free downloads -

AVG antivirus
Spybot - v good spyware killer
adaware

you might have to download a more specific killer for some things.

craig

Ben Gash
01-20-2006, 02:24 AM
Most of the big security software providers will actually give you a full free trial for between 3 and 12 months ( and then they'll often subsequently do a cheap subscription offer). If you go to the security section in windows it should give you a load of links to free trials, if not just go to McAfee.

Radhnoti
01-20-2006, 07:39 AM
Let me second the recommendation of AVG and AdAware.

You know...your computer would also do what you're describing if it were getting too hot. Good luck.

David Jamieson
01-20-2006, 09:19 AM
http://www.trendmicro.com/home/default.asp

look on the bottom left, you can do a free scan there online, no need toe dl or install a bunch of stuff, just scan and go.

PangQuan
01-20-2006, 09:19 AM
thanks you all for you help full responses. when i get home ill definately check it out.

thanks again.

GreenCloudCLF
01-20-2006, 09:22 AM
www.download.com (http://www.download.com)

Go to their spyware sections....Adaware
Spybot and get 1 other one...

3 spyware programs and run em every 2 weeks or so.

David Jamieson
01-20-2006, 09:49 AM
yep lavasoft adaware se is free and will get rid of any malware and a few types of data miner stuff but isn't really a virus thing, spy bot is kind of the same tool and is limited in it's ability as an antivirus and these programs selectively looks for programs that aren't specifically malicious viruses.

anyway...just sayin

Oso
01-20-2006, 01:03 PM
just to add, it seems like spybot and adaware find different things...so as suggested already, run both, often.

monkeyfoot
01-24-2006, 05:19 AM
downloads.com has been known to dish out a certain amount of spyware with some downloads. Mostly just tracking cookies though.

Spybot is very good, I find that it is both simple and efficeint. It does however change/delete the parts of the registry.....which I heard isn't too good a thing to do.

craig

hjt
01-24-2006, 09:38 AM
downloads.com has been known to dish out a certain amount of spyware with some downloads. Mostly just tracking cookies though.

Spybot is very good, I find that it is both simple and efficeint. It does however change/delete the parts of the registry.....which I heard isn't too good a thing to do.

craig

monkeyfoot is right, download.com is known for spyware

try trendmicro.com, which is actually used by microsoft when you their tech support and use MS anti-spyware.