PDA

View Full Version : San-Da & Mantis = Good cross train combo or bad?

ChinoXL
01-21-2006, 01:36 AM
Just like the titles implies.. opinions pleasee :)

Ben Gash
01-21-2006, 05:00 AM
San Da training should complement any kung fu practice, and give you experience that is often lacking in kung fu training of doing things at full speed and with the other guy hitting you if you get it wrong.
San Da will also teach you to do the simple things well, which is very important for self defence.
Depends on you though and what you want to gain from your training. If you're looking to develop your artistic expression of mantis and cultivate your internal mechanics, it's probably not for you. If you want to work on your conditioning, pracice more with a live partner and get used to the rough and tumble of fighting, then it'll do just what you want.

SimonM
01-21-2006, 07:05 AM
I love San Da.

I've never done mantis so I can't comment but San Da is GOOD. I think it should be part of the curriculum at most kwoons.

ChinoXL
01-21-2006, 09:00 AM
i see.. but will they mesh together?

Emeraldphoenix
01-21-2006, 09:19 AM
I have seen lots of Mantis guys[kung fu] etc that practice their kung fu. their forms look great. then you see them kick boxing. I have never understood that. As mantis practioner Myself. To fight like a Mantis you should train and fight like a mantis practioner. A true Mantis fighter is something great to watch in action. But it all depends on what you are after.

CoRWiN
01-22-2006, 11:10 AM
i always thought San-Da was a set of rules in a match, is it an actual style?

Fu-Pow
01-22-2006, 12:16 PM
Are you talking about Northern or Southern Mantis?

I think there was an article a few issues back in Kungfu Magazine about using Northern Mantis in Sanda.

It was a pretty good article. Perhaps Gene could tell us which issue it was.

My experience in sparring with full sanda gear on is that you need modify some of your moves to reflect the fact that you are wearing gloves. For example, long arcing techniques like we have in CLF must be shortened a little because of the extra weight and resistance the gloves create. I find that I tend to rely more on typical boxing techniques like quick jabs, hooks, uppercuts etc.

However, most techniques can still be utilized. I've even successfully used my Taiji by "sticking and following" to my practice partner with my forearms. Unfortunately we don't have mats yet so I haven't been able to follow thru with a trip or throw once I have him "floating."

Good luck!

SimonM
01-22-2006, 10:34 PM

Although San-Da is a set of rules the rules do engender certain stylistic changes to the point where training in San-Da is often seen as training in a companion style. I've never met somebody who JUST trained in San-Da.

That being said San-Da techniques are compatable with most forms of Gong Fu. As a proponent of live training I am strongly in favour of San-Da.

BeiTangLang
01-23-2006, 05:17 AM

San-Da is just another venue,...like the "octagon" or "ultimate fighting". Just a specified bunch of rules of what you can & cannot do. You can fit any style into the San-Da format.

SimonM
01-23-2006, 07:23 AM
That's what I just said... basically.

BeiTangLang
01-23-2006, 09:08 AM
That's what I just said... basically.

Yeah,....I just said it better.
(That was a joke....)

jungle-mania
01-23-2006, 10:00 AM
Actually I just train in sanda only and have left traditional kungfu for quite awhile. Frankly, I think it is hard to excel in sanda using traditional methods (don't count principles), but saying that I say doing sanda rules under your kwoon's style of fighting will greatly improve your traditional kungfu aspect like with open hand gloves.

CoRWiN
01-23-2006, 10:09 AM
Actually I just train in sanda only and have left traditional kungfu for quite awhile. Frankly, I think it is hard to excel in sanda using traditional methods (don't count principles), but saying that I say doing sanda rules under your kwoon's style of fighting will greatly improve your traditional kungfu aspect like with open hand gloves.

Hey jungle compare your experiences to what i was talking about in the "Great posts from MP and Ray Pina" thread. I'm tryin to explain over their that trainning for a fight using SanDa rules will give a decidedly significant advantage over a practitioner of traditional arts in that particular venue. Agree with the posts over there?

jungle-mania
01-24-2006, 06:59 PM
In total agreement, sparring is always essential. However, I find TCM guys should be spar less frequently than sanda guys, as there is alot more techniques to learn in TCM.

SimonM
01-24-2006, 07:45 PM
As a TCM guy I disagree. I promote the "sparring in every class" mentality.

Corwin check back on that thread again. I clarified my opinion somewhat.

Brad
01-24-2006, 09:05 PM
I find TCM guys should be spar less frequently than sanda guys, as there is alot more techniques to learn in TCM.
If there's more to learn, using your stuff even less isn't going to help any...