PDA

View Full Version : can anyone help me?

cranebeginner
01-21-2006, 07:03 PM
Can someone tell me what "goon" is please because I can't find anyone who knows apart from my sifu who says find out. Any help... pm or in forum

Ben Gash
01-22-2006, 08:25 AM
Chinese is a tonally inflected language, and Cantonese doesn't have a standardised romanisation format, so if you could put it into context for us (is it a technique, a weapon, a principle?) then we could be more helpful.

SimonM
01-22-2006, 08:30 AM
I'm guessing this is Cantonese and I don't know bupkiss about Cantonese. Sorry. :)

hskwarrior
01-22-2006, 08:40 AM
by the word you are using it sounds like the word for "school" for martial arts.

others would use KWOON, GUAN, but even my sifu based off of the sounds writes out the word GOON. for example, HUNG SING GOON (GUAN, Kwoon).

to tell you the truth, i wouldn't trust a teacher who wouldn't tell you that the word meant school or studio. where you practice your gung fu is your goon.

David Jamieson
01-22-2006, 08:55 AM
hsk hits the correct over the head and drags it home to entretain the kids.

My canto buddies refer to what we call a kwoon (martial training hall) as a "goon", at least they pronounce it that way.

But yeah, it's a martial training hall, unless of course it's yet another dialectic version of the word used for staff (gun or gwun).

JamesC
01-22-2006, 09:43 AM
Goon? Well it's a bad guy of course.:D

David Jamieson
01-22-2006, 09:51 AM
yeah, but that would be a 'hired goon'. :p

hskwarrior
01-22-2006, 10:05 AM
no you are all super off target. the true meaning of goon is a member of the Goonies who is all by himself. how sad! he's a lost goon with no goonies to count on.:D

hskwarrior
01-22-2006, 10:06 AM
serisouly though,

because they are students of our "goon" they jokingly call themselves "goonies".

Brad
01-22-2006, 10:28 AM
But yeah, it's a martial training hall, unless of course it's yet another dialectic version of the word used for staff (gun or gwun).
Actually, that's how it sounds to my non-Chinese ears when my teacher is refering to a staff (I'm not 100% sure where in China he's from originally... he spent a lot of time in Beijing though).

cranebeginner
01-22-2006, 10:37 AM
well it's called the "theory of goon" and it's got something to do with the san jian and I really ain't sure what dialect.... i don't even think it's cantonese. I've never heard of it actually

WanderingMonk
01-22-2006, 05:29 PM
well it's called the "theory of goon" and it's got something to do with the san jian and I really ain't sure what dialect.... i don't even think it's cantonese. I've never heard of it actually

ask your teacher if he could write it down in chinese for you. scan it and upload here. one of the chinese speakers will see if he can figure it out for ya.

CoRWiN
01-22-2006, 07:31 PM
I think he's calling you a big muscle bound guy with a weak mind...