PDA

View Full Version : Anyone from Calgary?

ZhuiQuan
01-22-2006, 08:51 PM
Hi, my family and I might move to Calgary sometime this year. I looked through superpages.ca listings and found A LOT of kung fu studios. If we do in fact move there, I intend to visit each one to make a decision or which one to attend, but I was wondering if anyone who lives in the area could give me some opinions on the schools in the area. I'm training now and I take it pretty serious. I like traditional training, strong basics/foundation, and quality instruction, no sash give-away schools, gimmicks, abusive Sifu's, Sifu's who are never at the school to help teach etc. I also wouldn't want to take "easy" classes. I want to leave sweaty and sore every day. I'm sure you know what I mean.

Well, thanks in advance for your help if you decide to reply with some useful information.

Hau Tien
01-23-2006, 11:35 AM
Hey mate,

I'm in Calgary and have been with Dennis Rovere (www.rovere.com) for a couple of years now (and am extremely happy). He teaches Chinese Military arts, Xing Yi, Tai Chi (Yang), and Bagua. I focus on the Chinese military/Xing Yi/Bagua, myself.

He's not really a "public" teacher... his classes run Saturday mornings (9am-12am)currently and it's a small group (especially for the actual FIGHTING parts of training.. so few people want to get punched and kicked to learn :P). I never leave class feeling anything but sore and wiped out... in a good way :) The group of us that train are quite serious about it, as well... we have practice nights Tuesdays (bagua/xingyi) and Sundays (fight night! sparring!) as well. These don't cost anything... it's just a few of us getting together at my place to practice :)

As far as "traditional" training... I'm not sure what you're looking for. With Dennis, there are no sashes, no testing (other than periodic reviews, just to see what you know/where your skill level is... but these don't cost anything), and no egos. There IS a lot of punching, kicking, chin na, comradare, and fun :) And also the occasional small injury ;)

Anyway... like I said... he's not really public, but you could drop him a line via the contact info on his site (he responds pretty quick to email) for more info, if you like. He only accepts a few students, but we've recently had a couple of people move on, so there might be some space. You can also contact me via the forum and I'll try to answer stuff as best I can... but really, why ask me when you can ask Dennis directly? ;)

Cheers!

Scott Dellinger

Hi, my family and I might move to Calgary sometime this year. I looked through superpages.ca listings and found A LOT of kung fu studios. If we do in fact move there, I intend to visit each one to make a decision or which one to attend, but I was wondering if anyone who lives in the area could give me some opinions on the schools in the area. I'm training now and I take it pretty serious. I like traditional training, strong basics/foundation, and quality instruction, no sash give-away schools, gimmicks, abusive Sifu's, Sifu's who are never at the school to help teach etc. I also wouldn't want to take "easy" classes. I want to leave sweaty and sore every day. I'm sure you know what I mean.

Well, thanks in advance for your help if you decide to reply with some useful information.

Blacktiger
01-23-2006, 10:52 PM
Man if your moving to Canada take the opporturnity to do some training in Systema I think the head guy for the system is in Canada:)

sihing
01-23-2006, 11:16 PM
My Sifu has a school and association headquarters in Calgary, so please check them out. Here's the website address, www.wingchun-canada.com . There are clips there and we always offer a free intro lesson to those interested. We teach Wing Chun and have 25+hours a week of classes available for adults(mornings, afternoons and evenings, and Saturday too). Call 403-243-6608 and ask for Dai Sihing Gerald. He's my sihing and is the senior instructor there, very skilled in Wing Chun and a very talented teacher. He will take care of you, and mention that I passed you on. Sifu is there every night and if you wish to see & talk to him that can easily be arranged also.

James Roller