PDA

View Full Version : self defence seminar - or not!

packard
01-23-2006, 03:20 PM
Hi All,

I've sort of put my foot in it really.

A little while back, I was speaking to a good buddy about self defence seminars I run. They are basically a simple set of techniques as well as some theory. All VERY practical and quite popular.

So my friend asked if i could run one for his employer and his work mates. I agree, done loads before, so thought nothing more of it.

Today I get a call from his boss, who explains what they really want is a training course on agression managment, triggers to violent behavior and how to talk people down. He says there must be no contact in the course due to health and safety. I, in my stupidity, agreed to this.

I now find myself a little out of my depth in terms of running a course like this.

Any one have any ideas or could forward some info on putting together a seminar like this?

Thanks in advance,

P

TenTigers
01-23-2006, 04:09 PM
why don't you ask knifefighter and those guys? hahahaha!
ok, seriously, you need to first divide types of aggression, and the causes of them. how to recognize the bad situation, before you learn how to shut it down. The best way to shut anyone down is to give them what they want.
Mostly, you need to give them face. Whether it's a thug, or a co-worker, they need to be recognized. Backing down from a fight while giving the other guy face, while also letting him know that you are the wrong man to start with is a trciky situation, but definately possible. With co-workers, many are concerned with respect, validation, etc, It's an ego thing. Do a search on peyton quinn. he has many articles on the subject

David Jamieson
01-23-2006, 04:41 PM
you can actually dig up a lot on this type of stuff by using google.

also, there are some aspects of LEO training that cover exactly this type of stuff.

your other alternative is to fess up and let someone who is actually qualified to deliver the material deliver it. :p

joedoe
01-23-2006, 04:57 PM
Personally, I would fess up and let them know that it is not your area of expertise. Most people will be reasonable about it if you do that. Alternatively you can find someone who is well versed in those areas and invite them to deliver the course for you, taking a small cut for organising it.

No offence, but ethically I think it is a bit irresponsible to charge someone money for a course on a subject that you admit you are out of your depth with.

rogue
01-23-2006, 06:38 PM
Today I get a call from his boss, who explains what they really want is a training course on agression managment, triggers to violent behavior and how to talk people down. He says there must be no contact in the course due to health and safety. I, in my stupidity, agreed to this.
That's one big tough subject and I'd try to back out or postpon it until you can get your eggs in a row or if you can team up with someone who has expertise in this area.

One book to get started with would be Tom Patire's Personal Protection Handbook. It covers alot of ground and does have some good tips on bad guy behavior. Other than that it's a big subject.

Maybe Watchman will check in, I think he's done this kind of thing.

David Jamieson
01-23-2006, 08:15 PM
i think tom patires book is good as well but i think the kind of thing he's talking about with all the de-escalation and stuff deals more with the managers want for some sort of method ofr people to deal with confrontational issues in teh workplace.

and so, i offer this and if there is stuff like it in the states, then to go that avenue to find people who can help you.

http://www.ccohs.ca/oshanswers/psychosocial/violence.html

rogue
01-23-2006, 08:50 PM
Nice site Dave and good advice. It's a huge subject and a tough study. Doesn't Tony Blauer have some materials on it?
Something I've noticed about the process of de-escalating a situation is that the other person needs to see some possible bad outcome if he doesn't. It can be a physical, financial, psychological or social penalty but there has to be some downside for the person to continue their behavior and they have to be aware of it.

5thBrother
01-23-2006, 10:44 PM
Personally, I would fess up and let them know that it is not your area of expertise. Most people will be reasonable about it if you do that. Alternatively you can find someone who is well versed in those areas and invite them to deliver the course for you, taking a small cut for organising it.

No offence, but ethically I think it is a bit irresponsible to charge someone money for a course on a subject that you admit you are out of your depth with.

TOTALLY agree 100%

reading a book and googling a few web sites on verbal de-escalation of violence and non physical aggression control etc etc a week before u facilitate a course on it does not make u knowledge or skilled instructor of such knowlegde. leave it to qualified people.

it would be like someone reading a hung gar book and a video and then doing a seminar on hung gar for example.

your also putting people at risk.

fess up and tell the truth. just tell them thats not ur area and if u want help them locate someone qualified and experienced in it re: joe doe wrote.

for yourself now might be a time to start learning this area of self protection via course, training, reading etc so that eventually u can also cover this area

SimonM
01-23-2006, 11:39 PM
I concur.

On a related topic I have been considering offering a self-defense seminar at the school I work at after conversation with some students at an english corner about theft. I am quite capable of handling myself and am an alright teacher BUT I have had nearly half a decade to learn how to fight.

Where would be some good sources for what to include in a brief self-defense seminar?

5thBrother
01-24-2006, 05:43 AM
- 2+ hrs x 12 weeks
- a huge folder full of info on the MORE IMPORTANT awareness, prevention and avoidence, home/car/public transport/street/etc safety, mindset for counter offence, midnset of attacker, success stories, ET ETC - all the thoery stuff

theory also interspesed during the training.
threat awareness and assessment (when possible)
body language bits, de-escalation of violence etc etc

i guess what im say is "brief seminar" - forget it.

OR

brief seminar - stress the awareness, prevention n avoidence etc stuff. and maybe 1 or 2 single techniques in regards how to strike, where to strike. which can then be applied to a wide varioety of various attacks....

i have a pet hate of brief seminars :D esp for WSD ....

hope that made sense.

and for god sake dont teach a jump spinning hook kick to counter a beer glass in da head lol.....

SimonM
01-24-2006, 05:49 AM
Ok a series of seminars than with attention on simplifying this information linguistically so that my ESL students who only have a moderate grasp of English learn something.

and for god sake dont teach a jump spinning hook kick to counter a beer glass in da head lol.....

I wouldn't. I don't think I've ever performed a jumping, spinning hook kick myself. Nor would I in a fight when an elbow to the throat/jaw/nose would work better.

rogue
01-24-2006, 05:54 AM
I agree with 5thBro about the "brief seminar" idea. I switched my emphasis to self defense a few years back and there is a lot to learn on the non-fighting side. Must have books to read before giving any seminars is Strong on Defense by Sandford Strong and the Gift of Fear by Gavin deBecker.

5thBrother
01-24-2006, 06:16 AM
simon:

also find out what are the main risks and situations in China or part of china ur at. and for the people age group/lifestyle, make, female etc.

for instance when i taught in australia, japan and indonesia they were always differences n emphasis. obvious also male n female, college girls and sugar cane farmers etc. and different when i did secuirty etc

u also need to look at date rape, "date rape drugs" which are on the increase etc
etc for women... (don't know about china?)

btw i the backflip jump back kick comment was a joke... i could tell from some of ur posts u werent one of those idiots :D

i think its very nice u are concerned and want to help people. :)

if theft, pick pockets and similar crime is the main risk in that part, perhaps u could do more of a safety seminars or course work. how to give directions, tell the time, etc in cases of being set up or "interviewed" etc

dunno if thats any help

good luck~

packcard:

sorry just realised may of pirated ur thread by mistake :D

SimonM
01-24-2006, 07:17 PM
The date rape drug of choice in China is alcohol. It's cheap, readily available and a buch of drunk boys is pretty able to manipulate a drunk girl physically... That is until a 6 foot tall laowai comes shambling out of the fog and breaks up their fun than wanders over to the convenience store run as a side busines by a police officer he befriended his first week here and tells the cop that there is some trouble down the road a ways.

;)

The main issue in China is theft. Pickpockets tend to focus on girls and foreigners. Many of my students said that if they found someone attempting to pick their pocket they would do nothing and say nothing out of fear. This concerned me somewhat. They wouldn't even call for help?

My 62 year old South African colleague (when being pickpocketed) whipped around and caught the thief by the wrist. Then the thief ran away into a supermarket and she (my colleague) informed the supermarket staff there was a thief in the building. So these thieves are not a huge physical threat but the element of menace surrounding the "criminal" is sufficient to engender nearly petrifying in the sheltered girls who actually get to university in China.

I have almost no boy students... like mabey 10 out of 250.

I'll see what I can dig up on the non-fighting side... I like reading.