PDA

View Full Version : Adam Hsu

Stranger
03-11-2001, 06:53 PM
Can anybody speak of the quality of his tapes? Does he still live in the US? Has anybody here trained with him?

count
03-11-2001, 06:59 PM
Maybe the most knowlegable person you will find in modern day martial arts. You will find him in San Francisco when he is not touring the world. His writing is to the point and easy to understand. He does frequent seminars and if you have the opportunity, grab one!
ˇ

wujidude
03-11-2001, 07:06 PM
Grab him soon, because I've heard he's spending more time back in Taiwan. His US base is in the Bay Area (Cupertino, I think). His tapes are pretty decent. His book "The Sword Polisher's Record" is excellent. Jason Tsou in LA, Tony Yang in Ohio and a couple of other Wutang Assn. brothers of Hsu teach in the US (one up in Alaska, and I think one in NYC area). Hsu has by far the most comprehensive collection of demonstration/instructional tapes of any in the Wutang group.

RAF
03-11-2001, 07:59 PM
Wujidude:

Ahhhhhh. If you can, please take a look at some of Master Su Yu Chang's tapes. His baji and pigua tapes show many applications. They dress up the poor student in a mask/pads and he really hits him. An extra plus is footage showing GM Liu's performance and also his own when he was younger.

Praying mantis tapes are good too!

baji-fist
03-11-2001, 10:50 PM
Yes, Master Su has very good tapes in Bajiquan, the only problem is it is in Japanese. But seeing the applications of every single technique in Baji Lien Huan Quan form, wow!!! I was also amazed by the footage of GM Liu and the footage of Master Su when he was younger. It gives you an idea of how Baji should be played. You can order Master Su's video tapes on his website.

You must eat bitter before you can taste sweet.

Brad
03-11-2001, 11:57 PM
Where's his website? :D

wujidude
03-12-2001, 12:13 AM
Bob:

I said "comprehensive," meaning in terms of the number of arts Hsu's tapes cover. I didn't say Hsu had "the best" tapes. Sorry if I gave that impression, and I stand corrected.

Su Yu Chang is the other Wutang senior here in the US I was trying to think of, along with Kurt Wong in Alaska.

I have neither the skill nor the personal experience to compare these guys' martial skills, nor would I want to. I think they all mutually respect one another.

Su Yu Chang's website can be found at http://www2.micro-net.com/~ycsu/

Cheers.

RAF
03-12-2001, 03:16 AM
Wujidude:

The ahhhhh was an expression of "man you gotta see this!"

Thats why I hate these boards---very difficult to convey emotional expression.

What I wanted to convey to you was that if you got a lot out of Adam Hsu's tapes, then you would really want to see Master Su Yu Chang. But as posted by others some are in Japanese some are in Chinese and there are no subtitles.

Viewing these tapes were great. I had only seen GM Liu play liu da kai and the deerhorn knives up to this point. The performance of GM Liu and Master Su in his youth really make them worth having.

Hope you get to see them sometime. I do not know their price but get a baji or pigua one so you get a feel of what the applications look like.

count
03-12-2001, 03:34 AM
I have never actually seen Grandmaster Liu in action. Only stills. And I think Master Su is the fastest man on the planet. I would love to see him in his younger days. I'm seeing a lot of great posts you guys. Keep it up!}

baji-fist
03-12-2001, 04:17 AM
Count,

Master Su's Baji tape is a must get. It contains two tapes along with a pamphlet with the translations. One tape covers the Baji form ( I forget if it was Liu Da Kai or Baji Lien Huan Quan), Master Su performing the form in the early 70's, GM Liu performing it in his 50's (he is quite fast when performing the form for his age!). The second tape has the applications of the form. Sifu Wong has a copy and have lent it out to me and it is amazing. I am planning to order my own copy soon or when I go back to Ohio for the Wu-Tan Competition.

Wujidude,

I was curious if you are a part of Wu-Tan. The reason why I am asking, even within the Wu-Tan circle (among the younger generation), not much is known about my sifu, Kurt Wong. He likes to keep on the downlow about himself. You obviously know a lot about our association and its members. If not, what style do you train with and what is your lineage?

You must eat bitter before you can taste sweet

count
03-12-2001, 05:36 AM
Funny, I asked the same question of wujidude in another thread! I made him an honerary member of Wu Tan
:D

wujidude
03-12-2001, 07:00 AM
Well I've really gotten a lot out of the Adam Hsu material I've found, so I just researched the group and found out about Master Liu and his senior students. I've particularly enjoyed the articles Bob Figler put out with his teacher Tony Yang in Ohio. The stuff about Sifu Wong is just from website browsing, and from people I've chatted with. I don't know how the Wutan group is doing in Taiwan, but here in the US you guys come across as well-respected and serious martial artists, the kind of group I'd study with if I had regular access.

OK, enough asskissing already ;- ). For my part, I've been studying baguazhang in the Cheng Tinghua lineage "on and off" for about 2 years, and seriously with a sole focus on the art for the past year. I don't really have a preference for bagua over the other internal arts, it's just that the only teachers with any apparent real knowledge of internal strength and the ability to use it that I've been able to access are bagua teachers. No one where I've trained has experience in the Yin Fu lineages. Yin Fu seems to be best represented in the LA, NYC and Bay areas.

I'll be checking out the bajiquan tapes for sure. I've only seen still-picture and text representations of some of the basic stuff (thanks, Bob!). I would REALLY love to see the film of Master Su whacking the poor padded student.

Brad
03-12-2001, 08:36 AM
Do any of you know of any non Wu-Tan Baji instructors in the US? I just started taking Baji this Saturday under An Tian Rong in Ohio(I was a longfist and taiji guy before). Just curious :cool:

baji-fist
03-12-2001, 09:37 AM
Brad,

There is a group out of California associated with Omei Shan group that teaches Bajiquan, I believe the sifu's name is Tony Chen. I have also heard some Tien Shan Pai Schools that teaches Bajiquan.

I've met An laoshi when I was in Ohio for the Wu-Tan tournament. I know that his Baji lineage is from Li Shu Wen. What I was wondering though is he from Huo Tien Ge's version of Baji or from the Wu family lineage?

Daniel Madar
03-12-2001, 05:30 PM
The Omei School is in Oakland, CA.

www.omeikungfu.com (http://www.omeikungfu.com)

Adam Hsu is almost never in the bay area anymore, or that's what his students told me when I went to check out his classes, about 9 months ago.

Brad
03-12-2001, 06:53 PM
Guo Bao-Lo,

I believe it's Huo style. I think he wrote a book on it, but I don't know if it's been translated into English or not. I won't be able to ask him any questions for a couple weeks(our only Chinese speaking stundent is on vacation).
Thanks for the info!

Dave C.
03-13-2001, 07:17 AM
Adam Hsu is not in the US much I would think. He teaches here in Taipei three times a week and has done so since I got here last February.

GeneChing
03-13-2001, 09:55 PM
Here are some articles from our archive.

For Adam Hsu
http://www.kungfumagazine.com/HomePage/magazine/1996/kf199612/htmlFolder/Covstory199612.htm

For Tony Chen
http://www.kungfumagazine.com/HomePage/magazine/2000/KF200009/htmlFolder/Covstory200009.htm

Gene Ching
Asst. Publisher
Kungfu Qigong Magazine & www.KungfuMagazine.com (http://www.KungfuMagazine.com)

baji-fist
03-14-2001, 02:44 AM
Thanks for the links of the aricles. Which issue is the Adams Hsu article from?

GeneChing
03-14-2001, 07:22 PM
The Adam Hsu article was from one of our sold out issues - Dec/Jan 97. Actually Chen Xiaowang was on the cover, but the author refused to have his article posted on the web (he was the only one ever to do so) so we swapped it with the Adam Hsu article. Coincidentally, Adam Hsu was on the very first issue of Kungfu Qigong. At that time, there was another partner; he still retains the rights. Consequently, our first 6 issues are not available online or through our back issue supply, since we do not own them in their entirety.

Gene Ching
Asst. Publisher
Kungfu Qigong Magazine & www.KungfuMagazine.com (http://www.KungfuMagazine.com)