PDA

View Full Version : Titles, protocol and stuff

Jules
01-24-2006, 08:48 PM
When I first started Kung Fu, I guess I figured that it was all about the fighting. I've learned over the months that there's a whole world more to it than that. There's definitely a health aspect that goes much deeper than just being in good shape and losing weight; I've noticed tons of other health benefits, not the least of which is that I have so much less pain than I used to have (from advanced early arthritis and a handful of other fun-to-pronounce joint-problems.) So, I was greatly surprised by all that it had to offer.

One thing I didn't really expect was the training placement protocol. I sort of like the whole familial aspect of it. This is a question I've had on my mind for a while now: the question of titles within a Kung Fu school, and where one stands.

I got a few terms from this page: http://www.hungkuen.net/resources-dictionary.htm

Not only does it have translations of stances and various punches and stuff, (which will hopefully help me remember them all, because I still tend to get them confused sometimes,) it also has translations re: protocol and heirarchy.

So, where does everyone stand with their training brothers and sisters? For myself, age-wise, I'm pretty much in the middle; there are some older than me and some younger and I'm probably about the median. Training-wise, I think that at least in the academy where I train, I'm the newest. So I think that even though I'm older than some of the students, I'm still Si-mui. Am I right? And all the men who have trained longer are Sihing, and all the women who have trained longer are Sije?

I think that's right, but I'm not sure. How about everyone else? Do you pay attention to that aspect of it? If so, where do you stand?

~~Jules

CoRWiN
01-24-2006, 09:03 PM
I call Raquel a 13 year old girl SiJe ... but then again we do have the same Sifu :rolleyes:

Jules
01-24-2006, 09:16 PM
I call Raquel a 13 year old girl SiJe ... but then again we do have the same Sifu :rolleyes:

Then you would be her Si-di, I think? That's pretty cool.

(I think I met Raquel, maybe at the NJ San-Da? Or maybe I'm thinking of someone else. I'm terrible with names.)

~~Jules