PDA

View Full Version : Chrysanthemum Flower....Ju Hua

brucelee2
11-28-2001, 09:48 PM
I've been using this for a little while but am not clear on what its supposed to be good for. I know its supposed to do something with heat, I assume 'inner heat' as opposed to 'temperature' heat. Anyway, I'm wondering if this is good for people with too much or too little inner heat or both? is it good for everybody? How often should it generally be taken? In western terms, what is its benefit? And which is better, the white or the yellow? Is it OK to take it alone or is it best mixed with other herbs? Thanks-

Go forward, my son, and
be like unto a torch
upon the darkness. Thou
are stripped now, of all
that was before. Look
not to thy fellow men
for guidance or
countenance- they canst
advise you no longer.
Thou shalt be as dust
now, and dust shall be
upon the tongues of thy
enemy. Verily, thou
shalt herald the coming
of the new age upon
man."

Alvar
12-07-2001, 02:19 AM
..."Huang chu-hua", "Ch'a-ku" (tea chrysanthemum)

Properties and action: Has slightly "han" cold properties, bitter yet pleasant to taste. Acts as a carminative, antipyretic, and detoxifying agent.

Conditions most used for:
1) Headache and dizziness associated with wind-caused fevers;
2) tinnitus, conjuctivitis; (or trachoma)
3) boils and abscesses.

Preparation: Flowers are used med.-y, 2-4 ch'ien* each time in decoction.

Three times daily, 1-4weeks.

*1ch'ien=10fen=3,12gm

dedalus
12-08-2001, 02:19 AM
I tried drinking crysanthemum tea to help with my blood pressure - it was a remedy I read about in a western herbal encyclopaedia.

I didn't really like the taste (too sweet), and when a chinese herbalist told me it wasn't that good for hypertension I stopped bothering.

chiman
12-25-2001, 09:09 PM
In TCM, Crysanthemum or Ju Hua is good for early "wind-heat" invasion or an early common cold with signs such as fever, headache, painful/ dry eyes.
It is famous for treating the eyes. It is said to clear the Liver and the eyes. The Liver is associated with the eyes and the Liver is associated with anger, stress, and related emotions. It is good to treat eye pain associated with stress or yin / fluid deficiency. It also treats blurring, spots in front of the eyes, diminished vision, and dizzyness.
For the eyes it is commonly used with Huai Hua Mi or Pagoda tree flower.
In sum Crysanthemum treats wind-heat, the Liver and eyes, and the Liver and wind (dizzyness).
Since I study a lot I like to use it for stress and eye strain.
Traditionally it shouldn't be used if a person is very weak, cold, or has poor appetite or diarrhea.
White crysanthemum(bai ju hua) a.k.a. Sweet Crysamnthemum (gan ju hua) is better to nourish the liver and clear the eyes. It can be used for diminished vision due to Liver & Kidney deficiency.
Yellow Crysanthemum (huang ju hua) is better for dispersing wind-heat with eye-redness.

This info is from "Chinese Herbal Medicine: Materia Medica". This text is used in China at the TCM colleges.

vikinggoddess
01-25-2006, 11:56 AM
here is one herb you may find easily:

go to link to see a the pic: http://www.chinesetherapeutics.org/juhua.html

Ju[2] Hua[1] Chrysanthemum Flower Flos Chryanthemi Morifolii

Properties: bitter, acrid, sweet, slightly cold
Channels entered: Liver, Lung
Functions & Uses: This is the number one herb for Head ache around the eye region. It dispels wind and heat for Wind-Heat External Pernicious Influence (EPI) Wind-Heat EPI is characterized by fever, rapid floating pulse, cough, sore throat, thin yellow tongue coating. For this function Yellow crystanthemum/ Huang Ju Hua is the best choice.

It clears heat and brightens the eyes for Liver head or Liver fire causing red, painful or swollen eyes. For this purpose it may be used internally or externally as an eyewash. This herb like Sang Ye is a good choice for eye dryness in Menopause because it clears Liver & Kidney Yin deficiency heat. For this purpose it is best to combine it with a blood tonic herb. Nettle would be a good choice. For this function to brighten the eyes the best color flower is white. White is the color related to Lung/Metal Element, which controls Liver/Wood element.

Also use Bai (white) Ju Hua for calming Liver & exinguising Liver wind, in other words headache and dizziness with feeling of upward surging heat, likely triggered by stress or anger.

This is a good herb for someone who gets head aches infrequently. Also this is a good herb to take in the summer to keep cool. Combines well with honeysuckle.

Harvest & Preparation: Collect flowers Autumn

Dosage: 10-15g in decoction
Reference: Dr. Li Jin of Seattle. Pharmacopeia I. 1999. pg. 22