PDA

View Full Version : 2nd Wing Chun Conference (UK)

Paul T England
01-26-2006, 06:16 AM
Hi everyone,

Here are the details for the second wing chun conference (UK)

Date: Sunday 12th March 2006
Time: 11.30am-7.30pm

www.wingchunconference.info

This event promises to be bigger and better than the last one. Like the first one the organisers and teachers for the day want to avoid the usual political problems and promote wing chun. I hope to post a review of the first conference tomorrow.

Regards
Paul Tennet

stricker
01-26-2006, 03:29 PM
dude whats up with leeds?? if you had it somewhere central like hmmmm london id be down for it.

Mr Punch
01-26-2006, 09:25 PM
Since when was London central?!

Birmingham... now that's central... well-appointed, great sports facilities...

But the point of fact is, if the organisers live in Leeds... that's where it's gonna be! Not bad I suppose... only 40 mins from Brum! ;)

I don't care: I'm still here! Babbling.

:D

Paul T England
01-27-2006, 01:40 AM
Hi,

People travel to hong kong and far flung parts of the world to learn and experience wing chun so in my mind Leeds is not unreasonable. (Accepted, not as appealing!) The first conference was held in Newcastle as the organisers and a sizable group of students lived close. The first conference attracted many people from as far as Leicester and Ireland but a strong representation came from Leeds, York and Manchester. Leeds was felt to be a suitable venue considering everything.

btw, at least 30 places are already taken with an expected limit of 70 so if you are an open minded instructor or serious wing chun practitioner this event (IMO) is a must. Last time Both my Sifu and Alan Orr presented and I found Alan and his students gave me much food for thought. It was also great meeting other wing chun instructors and comparing training methods.

If people want this to be held in London or Brum, get involved and volunteer to organise the 3rd event in your area!!!!!

I have personally travelled all over the uk, usa, canada, hong kong & china researching and training in the martial arts that I love.

Best wishes and sorry for the rant.

Paul

stricker
01-27-2006, 07:53 AM
ok ok mat so birmingham is central on the map LOL but hell maybe next one should be in exeter thatd be just as fair hahaha.

also the first one was oop north so of course all those places you said people came from are also up north. leicester is about the furthest south, and thats still "in the north" for a southerner. and newcastle is almost scotland! :D so youve got cause-and-effect right there, statistical bias in your sampling of "people who are interested" etc..

and hey paul props for travelling so far etc for what you love, ive done the same in the past (and hope to again soon) so respect.

anyway all the best for your event.

Mr Punch
01-27-2006, 09:04 AM
Watcha Paul,

I would be there if I was in the UK. I love that kind of thing... and the more people cross train in different lineages, the less political BS there is and the closer to the source you get. I'll just add I think 35 quid is pretty good: just right for a day of quality learning and mixing it up.

If Yip Man didn't teach everybody the same things which is highly likely since it's happened in most martial arts through history, there may have been a good reason, there may not, but if you practice through different lines sometimes you can find a few more pieces of the puzzle.

Anyway, bout the geography, I was just winding up these Southern ponces!
;) 'Sides, I've organised a couple of seminars over here and I haven't seen any of you lazy ****ers!:mad: :D

Stricker: ya great Southern poof!

tansaujosh
02-03-2006, 09:58 AM
so can any one that can chi sau jus come along and learn some techniques or is it something different.......someone fill me in plz:confused: never been to a conference

Paul T England
02-06-2006, 01:59 AM
Hi,

The general idea is to meet other wing chun people and share, learn and explore ourselves and the methods. It was decided to have guest instructors to provide a focus for the day and also have a general exchange and also a Q&A session with the guest instructors.

Regards
Paul

tansaujosh
02-06-2006, 10:30 AM
thanks paul sounds good i think ill go. do u by any chance kno wot the chi sau workshop consists of.............or does the name say it all lol

Paul T England
02-07-2006, 03:10 AM
there is talk of a few guest sifu doing 30 min slots and then a open chi sau exchange after that. The last conference had a range of wing chun abilities and experience and I would think this one will attract both new and old wing chuners.

email alex as he is organising it and also dealing with ticket sales.

alexjediuk@hotmail.com

Regards
Paul

kj
02-07-2006, 05:47 AM
Wishing you all good luck with the conference. I hope some of you will share your reflections or a summary afterwards.

Regards,
- kj