PDA

View Full Version : More power

r4cy
01-26-2006, 11:08 PM
This week I had some sparring time with a friend of mine who practices karate. I forgot to mention that he weighs over 200 punds.While we engaged I could deflect his punches and kicks and hit him back many times doing this simultanously. I train to develop power in my strikes almost everyday, but still it seemed that when I landed my strikes I could not hurt him nor mak him move. Obviously in a situation like this I can't strike to sensitive areas because it could exceed the damage we are willing to receive when we are just practicing. Can anybody give some advice in how to develop power to move or make a 200 and over pound guy feel a strike to the chest or stomach?

couch
01-27-2006, 12:12 AM
Well the first thing I'd do if a 200lb guy was attacking my a55, is to take out his knees...but I presume that you want to keep sparring with this guy!

There are many components to power. Here's a few things I suggest you can train and then I'll mention some semantics. These are just things that *I* think are good. Like anything try them out for a while, see what they do for you. Moreover...think about what they do more than you practise them. Thinking good.

1. Candle punch: this achieves a whipping power. What you want to do is fire out centre punches one at a time with the bottom two knuckles faced at the flame when fully extended. When you do this punch, make your whole arm loose, and like a whip (and with good form), have the punch come out with your fist loose. Tighten up at the last second at full extension. If done properly, the air will escape out between your knuckles and be forced out and blow the candle out. Obviously, keep moving back as this gets easier. This helps with the whipping power.

2. Sand Bag: Hold a loose, formed fist 1-2 inches from a sand bag. Strike the sand bag with the bottom two knuckles while clenching your fist and immediately relax. Hold the next hand in the same position. Rinse, repeat. This will teach you to strike hard with good form and relax after. Relaxing after each motion is key and will help keep you supple and able to read energies.

3. Spring Jong/Dummy: Place your hand on the Jong(changing the positions as you see fit) with the arm somewhat bent and relaxed. Then strike the jong with this precontacted hand, again - relaxing right after. With Jongs that are mounted with two 1x4's going through them...this works well as the Jong should spring away from you. This teaches Ging, or relaxed (penetrating) striking energy.

These three things are great for developing punching power. If only I did them more often.

Also about generating power:
Where is the hit going? If the hit is to the face and there is little to no gear, use an open palm. When striking his face, don't forget to push along his centreline and this can disrupt the force.

What else is hitting him? Are you uprooting him with a Pak Sao to his elbow/wrist/shoulder/etc? If you especially can push that elbow into his centreline, then this will disrupt power. Your stance is very important. When you strike, also sink your stance and get your power from the ground like a pike or lance with one end in the ground and the other end de-horsing someone.

One last thing: if you can get close enough to have your knee touch his, you can use this to disrupt his power and uproot him. Chi Gerk is good for setting this stuff up. If you are knee to knee, sink and push forward with your back leg (while striking if you like!). The step adds power to any punch as well as the push on the opponents knee is like another contact point in the battle.

Try it, lemme know how it goes.

Best,
Kenton Sefcik

r4cy
01-27-2006, 12:18 AM
Awesome advice. I will definetly try this out. If anybody else have more advice it'll be most welcome. Keep em coming.

Matrix
01-27-2006, 04:56 AM
r4cy,
While the exercises that Kenton has mentioned are fine, I don't think they completely address your problem. You mentioned that you're already training everyday to develop power in your strikes. Just what are you doing??

What comes to mind for me , as I read your post, is that you need to develop the timing of striking with the entire body. It's not your upper body alone that needs the work, it's your legs, body and arms in coordination. Timing is everything. If your just hitting with your arms, then your not hitting with all of your potential power, IMO.
Also, how far in are you stepping when you strike? If it's power you want you need to think of hitting THROUGH the target, not at it.

Keep in my, this is just my opinion.

Jeff Bussey
01-27-2006, 06:03 AM
Hey r4cy,
I'm gonna say something that a lot of people may not like to hear, but honestly, I would concentrate on your chi sau. :D
And I'm serious about that.
One of the things I've gained from chi sau is to move my whole body together, and this will knock back a guy 200lbs.
I agree with Bill, you need to work on your legs, it sounds like they may not be connected to your upper body. Proper chi sau will help correct that.
At first, just practice moving your opponent from one end of the room to the other while doing chi sau and not loosing your structure, like leaning or over extending your arms. When you have the correct timing, and structure, it's fairly easy to move someone in chi sau.
Now once you've got that, then try those concepts in sparring.

Personally, while I think sparring is beneficial, I think people need to get a good foundation of their wing chun first. Otherwise you can create more problems for yourself (speaking in general not directly to you)

Mind you I'm still a believer that you should train the form first and then the applications instead of the other way around but hey, that's another thread, and a whole bunch of arguments :D

J

couch
01-27-2006, 09:59 AM
r4cy,
While the exercises that Kenton has mentioned are fine, I don't think they completely address your problem. You mentioned that you're already training everyday to develop power in your strikes. Just what are you doing??

What comes to mind for me , as I read your post, is that you need to develop the timing of striking with the entire body. It's not your upper body alone that needs the work, it's your legs, body and arms in coordination. Timing is everything. If your just hitting with your arms, then your not hitting with all of your potential power, IMO.
Also, how far in are you stepping when you strike? If it's power you want you need to think of hitting THROUGH the target, not at it.

Keep in my, this is just my opinion.

You and Jeff have great advice as well!

I mentioned this in my post...but could have done a better job in explaining. :(

LOL

Connecting the upper body and the lower body is key and takes time and practise.

You guys rock. Word.

CFT
01-27-2006, 10:06 AM
Personally, while I think sparring is beneficial, I think people need to get a good foundation of their wing chun first. Otherwise you can create more problems for yourself (speaking in general not directly to you)Jeff, I like what you wrote, but isn't this model of learning a bit linear? There's nothing wrong per se, but supervised sparring should minimise bad habits; I agree it can be all to easy to pick up bad habits.

AndrewS
01-27-2006, 10:44 AM
Medicine ball throws against a wall or with a partner- use a ball light enough to move quickly, not so heavy that it slows you down- sounds like a 4-6lb ball would be right for you. A partner can throw you the ball or you can bounce it off the wall so it loads you- partner is better 'cos there are some very hip drills you can cobble together.

Catch and throw the ball using the double piercing hand structure from Chum Kiu- aka use your body not your arms- throw and catch the ball from each stance, from each stance with a step, from each stance with a turn, from each stance with step and turn, etc.

Keep sets under 20 reps total, rest at 3-4 minutes between rounds, doing some active recovery (i.e. some nice soft reps of some mechanic), don't go over 5 sets or so, or more than 2-3x a week for your purposes.

See how you feel in a month.

Andrew

Lindley
01-27-2006, 11:06 AM
R4CY,

Good points were mentioned, but the key is getting your opponent off balance and breaking his structure. If you go force vs force, you will not win. This is why the point about more Chi Sao is very valid. In your Chi Sao play, use more forward energy, broken rythem, and try to feel you are using your body structure to support your techniques. For example, try playing your Siu Nim Tao and focusing on your heels. This creates a sensation of "feeling" your horse.
When you stop his blows, try to put snap into your pak sao or use bil sao with a lot of spring energy. Try using quan sao. Are you posing in your chi sao (and in your sparring with him)?

You are correct in saying that in a friendly sparring match you cannot strike the sensitive parts of his body. However, you must use the lop, and penetrating movements to "shock" him and then you will disrupt his balance. It is with this good timing you will move his 200 pounds with ease...

One important thing to note is that fighting is serious. If he were threatening your life this would be different. Thus, if you want to train your Chun for "sport", then you must have good conditioning, strike to score, and do not be afraid to inflict techniques that "send him a message" - this would include power strikes to the chest and shoulder.

Good luck with your Kung Fu....

Jeff Bussey
01-27-2006, 11:06 AM
Jeff, I like what you wrote, but isn't this model of learning a bit linear? There's nothing wrong per se, but supervised sparring should minimise bad habits; I agree it can be all to easy to pick up bad habits.

Hey Chee,
Linear is a straight line, and we're learning wing chun so, they go hand in hand :D
I really don't see linear as a bad thing, being linear is still being continuous it's just in an "orderly" way.

There's no doubt that people can and have worked out bad habits while sparring. I personally think that they're the minority. Sparring is so fast, and it's always easier to isolate concepts in a slower environment.

Kinda like if you're sifu tells you to slow down while doing chi sau.

J

Hendrik
01-27-2006, 11:12 AM
. Can anybody give some advice in how to develop power to move or make a 200 and over pound guy ?

It is certainly not an advice but an opinion for you to think about.

Thus, I have heard,

develop the 6 directional force vectors ability.

seperate the rope which is made from 6 trends of string, and manage the string, to manage the rope...

Jeff Bussey
01-27-2006, 11:30 AM
Kenton
Thanks for the compliment!
I don't know if I rock, probably more like I pebble :p

J

r4cy
01-27-2006, 01:08 PM
I will try all what has been said with some time. I think all advice given here is good and has a point. I will work on positioning to take out his balance. He being so big makes him slow as well. I'll practice this for quicker guys as well don't get me wrong. I think bill sao could be good to to open his lower gates as well. I thought of this later on while analizing the combat.

Matrix
01-27-2006, 02:48 PM
I mentioned this in my post...but could have done a better job in explaining. :(.Maybe I should have done a better job in reading. ;)

Connecting the upper body and the lower body is key and takes time and practise.
Kenton, The time and practice element cannot be over-emphasized. It's all about refining the skills and that cannot be cooked up in a microwave.

Matrix
01-27-2006, 02:54 PM
AndrewS, Great advice on developing the core strength that is needed. Some nice tips. Thanks. :)

Good points were mentioned, but the key is getting your opponent off balance and breaking his structure. If you go force vs force, you will not win. Lindley, I agree with what you're saying. I just think that you need to have your own timing and balance before you can attempt to take someone else's.
What you're saying is a little later in the progression, IMO, but great advice none the less. Thanks for adding those insights. :D

An jie 108
01-27-2006, 05:50 PM
Foot work is a much bigger mountain, than that of hand skills, however, though a contradiction, they are equally important. One does not exist with out the other!
Like all of the good things said, with stronger legs and stronger footwork skills :D you will find it to be much easier to shake his center. ( regardless of his size)

wei wu wei
01-28-2006, 10:15 PM
to develop follow through power, enough to move someone over 200lbs, I would suggest taking a break from air punching and hitting focus pads.

use a heavy bag. once you have developed power enough to pinch or move the heavy bag, you should be able to transfer such skills to your karateka.

in addition, you should note that people who have good balance are hard to knock back.

Mr Punch
01-29-2006, 04:47 AM
Some good advice so far.

Great idea Andrew... I can see my workout expanding again!!!

Wouldn't waste time on the candle snuffing gag myself but maybe that's just me.

Somebody mentioned pak sao too. Pak sao drill is very useful for developing that uprooting power, for sending that explosive energy back into your opponent's shoulder, centre and structure. However, I'd forget about relying on it as a tech for using against a strong, fast, returning, elbow-out punch. 1) It'll hurt/**** up your wrist if you hit their elbow and not the tiny ideal target just above the elbow, 2) it's not possible to aim at speed, and pak should only be used as an interception IF your hands meet in the middle: your aim is to strike him don't forget, not his arms!

Wall bag is always good. And heavy bag is also important. Just to add to the heavy bag thing, when you start, swinging it around like a crazy man seems great and it will start to build your punching power. But as you progress you should be working on doubling it over, not swinging it around excessively. This ensures that your power is going into the bag and not just pushing it around. Although I'm probably nitpicking and Bill (was it?) maybe agrees, rather than the idea of hitting THROUGH the target not AT it, the idea of hitting INTO the target not AT or THROUGH it will develop a harder strike, IMO. Unless you just want to push someone around that is.

EDit: oh yeah, of course chi sao will help develop a stronger unified body connectiveness too.

r4cy
01-29-2006, 08:33 AM
I have a wall bag, but my sifu recommended not tu use it as a boxer, hanging, that is, but instead have it stucked ina floor base to simulate a body. Maybe I should put it on wheels or something so I can see the progress as I movie it while striking it?

kungfu cowboy
01-29-2006, 08:37 AM
Remote controlled gyroscope mounted to a pulley system!

Mr Punch
01-29-2006, 09:14 AM
I have a wall bag, but my sifu recommended not tu use it as a boxer, hanging, that is, but instead have it stucked ina floor base to simulate a body. Maybe I should put it on wheels or something so I can see the progress as I movie it while striking it?I've no idea what you just said!

A wall bag won't move, unless you have very poor walls!

The wall bag is better for practising basic short punches in stance, or at least for practising the immediate rooting on impact. A heavy bag is better for practising movement and combinations because you go a bit nuts on it. You can't go nuts on a wall bag. Well I did once and cut my hand to ribbons cos I kept missing and hittign the screws and the doorframe. :o

BTW, you don't want what you're hitting to move so much. That will not help to develop punching power, except when you practising stopping the heavy bag on a backswing... but like I said generally you want to hit INTO the target, which you're not gonna be able to do if you're chasing it all round the room. That'll develop other areas, but not punching power.

Mr Punch
01-29-2006, 09:16 AM
Remote controlled gyroscope mounted to a pulley system!
[shudders] DON'T! You'll get all the technicians clogging up the thread with their 'how to screw in a lightbulb' chat!:eek:

:D

r4cy
01-29-2006, 06:03 PM
I' m sorry, i didn't mean wall bag, I meant heavy bag. Puta a heavy bag on the floor with a base with wheels.

AndrewS
01-30-2006, 12:52 PM
Mat,

if you try the MB stuff and you like it, let me know- I've got a sweet progression from there.

Andrew

S.Teebas
01-30-2006, 04:55 PM
I agree with Hendrik, to get the upper hand on someone larger than yourself, you would really have to utilize mulit-directional force...get them off balance and then deliver your strike.

When you strike, you'll need to have maximised your body mass through linking you body into one cohesive part...so work on your structure. Also refer to the ideas in the dummy form, leverage around him etc...

r4cy
01-30-2006, 08:05 PM
Good, now that you all have mentioned taking the opponent off balance. please I'd like some sugestions. Any technique familoiar with?

Mr Punch
01-30-2006, 09:26 PM
...I meant heavy bag. Puta a heavy bag on the floor with a base with wheels.No. You don't want to do that to develop a more powerful punch. As I said, you want to punch into the target not push it around. If you want to practise pushing try the shopping carts in the supermarket! :D

Pushing is useful in a fight, as is crushing, uprooting etc, but they're different elements of wing chun to the powerful (penetrative) punch.

Good, now that you all have mentioned taking the opponent off balance. please I'd like some sugestions. Any technique familoiar with?No, I'm afraid not! Look at what most people, especially S. Teebas and Hendrik, have been telling you: we are all talking about principles of motion, not individual techs. You can get an opponent off balance with a punch, a tan, a bong, a lap, any number of techs... it's the basic training that's important. And that's the wall bag, then the heavy bag, and the chi sao and the dummy... well, the rest of the system really!

if you try the MB stuff and you like it, let me know- I've got a sweet progression from there.
Cheers! I'll look into getting one v soon!

Hendrik
01-31-2006, 02:40 PM
Dont know if this will help.

http://www.wingchunkuen.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=199

bcbernam777
02-07-2006, 03:12 AM
More Sui Lum Tao

Mr Punch
02-08-2006, 04:41 AM
More Sui Lum TaoThat doesn't mean anything unless your teacher can tell you what you're doing! It also has limited gains until you start working with resistance.

Sekabin
02-08-2006, 08:28 AM
That doesn't mean anything unless your teacher can tell you what you're doing! It also has limited gains until you start working with resistance.

I think you're spot on, with one addition. I think there is some benefit in doing SNT even if you don't have a teacher telling you what you're doing, provided you're doing it right. And this might be possible without a teacher. Basically the teacher is necessary at the beginning while you're learning the form, and later to 'turn on' what you've been developing (for want of a better phrase). But this might be possible without a teacher too.

Right on with the resistance part. Training against resisting opponents, and resistance in general allows one to experience the meaning within the years of SNT.

Hendrik
02-08-2006, 12:40 PM
That doesn't mean anything unless your teacher can tell you what you're doing! It also has limited gains until you start working with resistance.

That is very true.

That's why I propose. Breaking into different Layers to check it out and test it out.

IMHO, the easiest way to learn about things is to be hands on and exploring it in different ways.

Matrix
02-08-2006, 07:12 PM
More Sui Lum Tao
Of course you can never do too much SLT, however, I would think this is a Chum Kiu thing. By that I mean SLT in motion. Learning to step and strike with the proper coordination, timing and body mechanics.

r4cy
02-08-2006, 11:26 PM
I don't know how the topic went somewhere else. LoL

Sekabin
02-09-2006, 12:04 AM

receive what comes, escort what goes, and if all else fails... make something up! ;)

Mr Punch
02-09-2006, 01:47 AM
I think you're spot on, with one addition. ... Basically the teacher is necessary at the beginning while you're learning the form,...Sure I am! Plus this r4cy geezer's obviously a beginner so I was more spot on than your addition (tho of course I agree) :p

I don't know how the topic went somewhere else. LoL LoL my arse! :rolleyes: We're still answering your question! If you don't like/understand the answers you should go train some more!:D

bcbernam777
02-10-2006, 02:41 AM
Of course you can never do too much SLT, however, I would think this is a Chum Kiu thing. By that I mean SLT in motion. Learning to step and strike with the proper coordination, timing and body mechanics.

True, however I have found through experiance that many people A) dont have the proper SLT foundation, B) dont seem to understand that the majority of power in Wing Chun comes from the SLT C) dont learn to put their Chum Kui back into their SLT. The majority of power comes through the proper foundation, the Chum Kui is simply an extension of that energy that has been developed through the SLT

bcbernam777
02-10-2006, 02:46 AM

Whilst it is true that resistance from your oponant is of value, you can actually continue to train the SLT with the mental concept or feeling of this resistance, as it is the stance or "root" that recieves this resistance, therefore it is of great value to practice the form on a regular basis. And, proper instruction is important in the SLT.

Sekabin
02-10-2006, 03:21 AM
Whilst it is true that resistance from your oponant is of value, you can actually continue to train the SLT with the mental concept or feeling of this resistance, as it is the stance or "root" that recieves this resistance, therefore it is of great value to practice the form on a regular basis. And, proper instruction is important in the SLT.

I don't think anyone is saying that it's not useful to do SNT regularly. But there are many people who believe that doing it gives them some sort of magical power, and then are heartily disappointed when it doesn't emerge against resistance. If you're doing your SNT properly (and yes that would require some guidance, at least at the beginning and later down the line) then it should work against resistance... otherwise you're doing it wrong and would be better forgetting it alltogether.

bcbernam777
02-10-2006, 04:16 AM
I don't think anyone is saying that it's not useful to do SNT regularly. But there are many people who believe that doing it gives them some sort of magical power, and then are heartily disappointed when it doesn't emerge against resistance. If you're doing your SNT properly (and yes that would require some guidance, at least at the beginning and later down the line) then it should work against resistance... otherwise you're doing it wrong and would be better forgetting it alltogether.

You got it baby ;)

I think the fundamental problem is the quality of instruction in the SLT, I may be mistaken but my feeling about contemporary instruction is that there is little attention to the SLT to teach it properly. I would rather have a student who would endure 2 years of proper instruction in the SLT than try to "burst" through to the CK, BJ or the others

Mr Punch
02-10-2006, 08:31 AM
True, however I have found through experiance that many people A) dont have the proper SLT foundation, B) dont seem to understand that the majority of power in Wing Chun comes from the SLT C) dont learn to put their Chum Kui back into their SLT. The majority of power comes through the proper foundation, the Chum Kui is simply an extension of that energy that has been developed through the SLTYou got it baby ;)

As for the amount of time on SLT, I know you were talking hypothetically, but I'm a firm believer in eliciting the student's optimal pace. Some students are fast learners, and then some should probably spend five years or more on SLT!:D

But again, the one good way of testing whether they can use what they've learnt in SLT properly (or whether they've been taught it properly) is through progressive resistance exercises.... starting perhaps with the wall bag and two person san sao.

bcbernam777
02-10-2006, 11:28 PM
You got it baby ;)

As for the amount of time on SLT, I know you were talking hypothetically, but I'm a firm believer in eliciting the student's optimal pace. Some students are fast learners, and then some should probably spend five years or more on SLT!:D

But again, the one good way of testing whether they can use what they've learnt in SLT properly (or whether they've been taught it properly) is through progressive resistance exercises.... starting perhaps with the wall bag and two person san sao.

Absolutly, as Sifu says the Chi Sau instructs the Sui Lum Tao

Hendrik
02-11-2006, 05:50 PM

try this

http://www.wingchunkuen.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=214

tansaujosh
02-12-2006, 02:47 AM
actually i disagree, u can do to much sui lim tau and you cant. after about 20-25 mins the mind loses focus unless you are an expert at keeping concentrated yet not thinking. r4cy a good way to develop power is isometrics. get into your basic wing chun stance place your fist on the wall as if you had just struck it, and push, dont push so much that you upset your balance, but after a while it will condition your legs enough that your balance will be gd enough. you may also want to try pushing against a wall as hard as pos, only for 10-12 secs max at each time, because after that its jus pointless and stops developing your muscle tissue. the good thing about isometrics is that it increases power riduculessly without adding on weight. this was one of the key training factors that bruce lee used to develop himself.

Mr Punch
02-12-2006, 05:16 AM
Josh,

reasonable exercise but I don't see how that's an improvement on say, somebody pushing and pulling and slapping your arms and torso, and standing on and stamping and sweeping your legs while you do at least the first part of SLT, which was one element of how I was taught. That will help you develop a strong root, so that it's not just strong in one direction (ie when punching) but for issuance of a powerful short-range strike in any direction at any time from any point of your body, eg elbow, knee, head, shoulder etc.

When they reach chum kiu level (and before in drills and chi sao) they should be working on taking control of the pushes etc, going with the flow to deliver a strike... but for basic punching power, IF you have been taught SLT correctly you have the basics with which to work the wall bag, the heavy bag, etc etc to develop your penetrative punch.

When training solo before a heavy bag session, I always do SLT, and then work some of the techs/energies from SLT into my heavy bag routine. It's a nice progression.

Nor do I think the exercise you described is necessarily an improvement on hitting a wall bag. In fact, you're developing muscles against slow pushes as opposed to impact. Now I'm no expert, but muscle specificity being what it is, wouldn't that be slow twitch as opposed to fast twitch? And thus the whole linkage, the whole resistance from your fist through to you foot would be working on slow muscle mechanics...? Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.

Plus, I'm not sure what you're disagreeing to here:
actually i disagree, u can do to much sui lim tau and you cant.

tansaujosh
02-12-2006, 05:01 PM
Josh,

reasonable exercise but I don't see how that's an improvement on say, somebody pushing and pulling and slapping your arms and torso, and standing on and stamping and sweeping your legs while you do at least the first part of SLT, which was one element of how I was taught. That will help you develop a strong root, so that it's not just strong in one direction (ie when punching) but for issuance of a powerful short-range strike in any direction at any time from any point of your body, eg elbow, knee, head, shoulder etc.

When they reach chum kiu level (and before in drills and chi sao) they should be working on taking control of the pushes etc, going with the flow to deliver a strike... but for basic punching power, IF you have been taught SLT correctly you have the basics with which to work the wall bag, the heavy bag, etc etc to develop your penetrative punch.

When training solo before a heavy bag session, I always do SLT, and then work some of the techs/energies from SLT into my heavy bag routine. It's a nice progression.

Nor do I think the exercise you described is necessarily an improvement on hitting a wall bag. In fact, you're developing muscles against slow pushes as opposed to impact. Now I'm no expert, but muscle specificity being what it is, wouldn't that be slow twitch as opposed to fast twitch? And thus the whole linkage, the whole resistance from your fist through to you foot would be working on slow muscle mechanics...? Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.

Plus, I'm not sure what you're disagreeing to here:
kool
well i c it as an improvement because its a build up of power that is released explosively e.g a flowing river hits a lock and builds up more and water then the lock is realeased there is going to be a burst of water. but if the water keeps hitting it it wont develop that much needed power. wen i say "u can do to much sui lim tau and you cant" i meen that after to much its pointless, yet u cant do to much b coz theres no limit to how long you can take.

Mr Punch
02-12-2006, 09:45 PM
I see.

So how long does this stored energy last before you use it?

And how is that different to the first section of SLT? Except that it gives you resistance, and then as I said earlier, I don't see how that particular slow resistance will help your punching power.

See, I think slowly pushing on a wall is as limited if not more so than SLT, and possibly less to do with developing power in a punch.

tansaujosh
02-13-2006, 06:40 AM
I see.

So how long does this stored energy last before you use it?

And how is that different to the first section of SLT? Except that it gives you resistance, and then as I said earlier, I don't see how that particular slow resistance will help your punching power.

See, I think slowly pushing on a wall is as limited if not more so than SLT, and possibly less to do with developing power in a punch.
well i suppose the only reply i can give to this is that this way of training works for me, it makes my strikes more pwerful, i think this is due to the strenghting of my back , because that is what my training focuses on. dont forget diffferent types of training suit different types of people. and the stored energy is ther for whenever i want, obviously i hav to train on a regular basis.

WingChunstudent
02-16-2006, 06:44 AM
With power attitude is 90 per cent of the equation, technique only 10. You have to focus your mind. Its about sheer aggression and the will to want to damage your opponent. You have to visualise you opponent as an object of hate – now take your fist and drive into that karateka’s chest again and again and again. Like Bruce Lee in fist of fury. Hate him then him. You and he will see the difference.

Mr Punch
02-16-2006, 07:45 AM
With power attitude is 90 per cent of the equation, technique only 10...No, it isn't.

You can't put a percentage on something like that but if you did it'd be nothing like that high!

If you hit me like a dishrag, you can hate me all you want and you'll still be hitting me like a dishrag.

WingChunstudent
02-16-2006, 09:05 AM
Dishrags don’t punch back so I don’t understand your point.

This ratio is correct – of course it requires practice to generate this level of hate. You should think about a moment in your life that makes you really angry – like having your dinner money stolen as a child – and shouting, etc. can compliment your attack.

Even if your attacks do not destroy your opponent the look of sheer hate on your face will be enough to scare most opponents into submission.

Mr Punch
02-16-2006, 09:21 PM
You're really making me laugh now! :D

Go on, show me an expression of hate that's going to scare me into submission! Is it like this :mad:

:eek:

:rolleyes:

r4cy
02-16-2006, 10:38 PM
Thanks for the advice Tansaujosh. To the one who said that I'm obviously a newbe at this, you are wrong. I've been training for quite a time now(no need to explain). I asked a simple question simply because in my kwoon there aren't guys 6ft and a half tall and 200 or so pounds. We are all skinny. My techniques are just fine if you read carefully, as I can see that you haven't I said that I could land my strikes just fine, the thing is that my strikes won't do much if any damage to that giant bear. Someone started talking about getting him off balance, and that is just fine, but once again, YOU CANNOT DO THAT in an open tournament or empty hand sparring, at least not if you are sparring with their rules. ONLY STRIKES are permited, that is why I asked about developing power. The one who brought the balance thing with good intention, I appreciate it anyways, and I will take the advice for a different ocation. I don't understand how many wingchunners can't be just straight to the point (I think that's familiar to wing chun guys) and there is always someone who has to be the philosopher, who just goes in circles, babbling to let people know "how much he knows" BLAH BLAH BLAh. Thanks to guys like tansaujosh and others who just gave a direct, and well intentioned answer. Keep 'em coming. No hard feelings!

Matrix
02-17-2006, 06:37 PM
Someone started talking about getting him off balance, and that is just fine, but once again, YOU CANNOT DO THAT in an open tournament or empty hand sparring, at least not if you are sparring with their rules. ONLY STRIKES are permited, that is why I asked about developing power.
Unfortunately, you have missed the point entirely. I don't think you understand what is meant by taking the balance. You asked people to be "straight to the point" and when they are you dismiss it. Sure, there's some Blah, blah, blah stuff in here, but eat the chicken and spit out the bones.

'nuf said.

Mr Punch
02-17-2006, 11:43 PM
Oh I see. I can tell you're not a newbie.

Because you were talking about putting a heavy bag on wheels so you can move it with your punching.

Or because you're asking people techniques to unbalance people, and then saying you can't do this in sparring with strikes.

:rolleyes:

I've been as straight as I can. You just don't understand the answers. Sometimes I need to go on for a bit to explain things in a 'straight' manner. But from now on this: ' :rolleyes: ' will probably be the longest answer you'll get.

AndrewS
02-18-2006, 12:26 AM
Someone started talking about getting him off balance, and that is just fine, but once again, YOU CANNOT DO THAT in an open tournament or empty hand sparring, at least not if you are sparring with their rules. ONLY STRIKES are permited, that is why I asked about developing power

Umm, while there's a spectrum of ways to evolve force, IMO, a decent hit should both disrupt the other person's position and be sharp enough to give them a headache or make them queasy if it lands solidly- should have both short and long power, as it were.

And if anyone thinks 6' and 200lbs is big. . . I have two words for you - Bob Sapp.

Andrew

anerlich
02-18-2006, 02:28 AM
You have to visualise you opponent as an object of hate – now take your fist and drive into that karateka’s chest again and again and again. Like Bruce Lee in fist of fury. Hate him then him. You and he will see the difference.

I wnet to the wedding of a 4 time Australian Kyokushin champion last weekend. He married one of my sidais. Five WC/BJJ people sat at a table full of kareteka and we all got on famously. Karateka are usually disciplined people who don't pick fights. What are you talking about?

Who wants to live life in this mental state?

I think you have the 90/10 ratio backwards.

anerlich
02-18-2006, 02:32 AM
the look of sheer hate on your face will be enough to scare most opponents into submission.

What? By making them die laughing?

Who's telling you this rubbish?:eek:

r4cy
02-18-2006, 02:04 PM
It's funny how I got ya'll off balance so easily!!! LOL "Wing Chunners" A couple of words and you lost your center!. Who's the newbe now? LOL

Matrix
02-18-2006, 02:50 PM
It's funny how I got ya'll off balance so easily!!!Like I said, You obviously don't understand what is meant by taking balance.
You also don't seem to have a clear grasp of center. :rolleyes:

Now back to our regularly scheduled program............................

Mr Punch
02-18-2006, 06:08 PM
It's funny how I got ya'll off balance so easily!!! LOL "Wing Chunners" A couple of words and you lost your center!. Who's the newbe now? LOL:rolleyes:

I'll just add for the sake of the ten character limit, there's no shame in being a newbie - nobody was accusing you of it - I just thought you were, but since you don't seem to want to admit it and are following up by compounding your statements as a juvenile prat, there's not much hope for you! :D

Still, thanks for the chat the rest of you guys, I think there were some good points made on the thread.

r4cy
02-18-2006, 11:17 PM
Oh my gosh LOL

bcbernam777
02-19-2006, 01:22 AM
Oh my gosh LOL

Maybe you would like to try and get me off centre r4cy?!?

r4cy
02-19-2006, 07:18 AM
Maybe.....