PDA

View Full Version : CMA/ Boxing. My story

htowndragon
01-29-2006, 04:26 PM
A little story.

I was trained in Houston’s Chinatown. I first began my training with Master George Hu, learning Shaolin Long Fist, some Xing Yi and ba gua. I sparred with my elder classmate Bill, and some other class mates. With Bill I used the gloves maybe twice. With classmates closer to my age, I used no gloves, and we broke the power at the wrist, just enough for the other guy to get the idea. Later I began training with my sifu Eugene Chou, learning Gong Bao Tian’s ba gua chuan. We would spar and do applications without any protective gear. I got hurt a few times. I would also spar and do hands with my best friend David of Wing Chun, etc. and we would still not used gloves. I got many bloody noses, cuts, etc.

I then moved to Ft Collins, CO and soon sparred with some people. I fought a JKD/Kempo guy behind an apartment building, fought another Kempo guy, sparred with my Hispanic friend who did muay thai and street fighting, etc. and I did fine.

At this park across the street every day at lunch, Rogers Park, people would go and street box for fun. Sometimes there was beef, sometimes it was just for fun. When I decided I wanted to try it out I was stupid enough to fight the undefeated “champion” who was 40 lbs heavier than me. I used a bad guard, tried to leak, etc. This was the first time I ever “fought” with gloves, I wasn’t used to the feeling. This is with 14 oz

I lasted under 2 minutes, and was knocked down. I wasn’t “out” but most felt I couldn’t go on. Pretty much KO-ed. First fight, lost.

Second time I fought I fought this “OG from Chicago and two time Golden Gloves” guy who was also heavier than me. It became a pretty scrappy match. Round 1 I knocked his head into the barn wall we were fighting at. Second round, my body gave in, and I had to quit cuz I could barely move. People said during the duration of the fight, it was pretty even, but only because I was getting really tired in the second round when he started landing stuff. They called it a tie.

Third time I fought the first guys cousin, who was also around 40 lbs heavier than me. Gets mean as hell, angry as hell. First round he had me knocked down a few times, but I got back up. Round 2 I stopped playing defense and I hooked him in the jaw, intercepted his right haymaker, and landed a solid right cross on his chin. His eyes were out, if his butt hit the ground it would have been KO. Then cops came and I got a ticket when he ran off with a bloody eye, but that was a different story. Based on round 2, people said I won.

I’m currently 18 if you were wondering, and I just re-read Chan Tai San’s boxing story and felt like posting my own.

Happy New Year

chud
01-29-2006, 06:10 PM
First rule of Fight Club is you don't talk about Fight Club.

:-)

PaiLumDreamer
01-29-2006, 06:14 PM
You should come down and spar with us! We use protective gear, but they dont have to be 14 oz boxing gloves :P Just simple foam sparring stuff that you can get at academy. Its on thrusday nights 8:20-whenever, and open to whoever wants to come and fight. You dont have to sign up for class, but you just need to sign a waiver.

It would be cool to get someone else in the mix :D We're a friendly bunch.

If you're interested, hit me up in PMs.

htowndragon
01-29-2006, 09:51 PM
are you Dills student?

PaiLumDreamer
01-30-2006, 05:43 AM
I havnt heard of a Dill.

You can check out our website (Which is...really outdated. We've moved since then.) for some more info if you're interested.

www.kungfuschool.com

Becca
01-30-2006, 10:59 AM
are you Dills student?
You got him backwards with me. I do still study with Sifu Dill when I get a chance, which ain't as often as I like. :)

green_willow
01-31-2006, 04:44 AM
Fair enough. Don't understand why you want to box a boxer. Of course you'll lose - because that's what their whole training is all about. geeez.

htowndragon
01-31-2006, 09:57 PM
it was a good experience. i fight differently boxing and real fighting.

green_willow
02-01-2006, 05:18 AM
it was a good experience. i fight differently boxing and real fighting.

I find it so hard to go at it with boxing rules. Got to keep thinking no elbows, no kicks no bridging. Yes it certainly is an experience.