PDA

View Full Version : Rice Wine update!

Royal Dragon
01-29-2006, 04:50 PM
Ok, I took the rice wine and siphoned off the wine. It looks like watered down skin milk right now, but has a good kick to it. It tasts like a sour Saki.

I have about 2 gallons of a highly alcoholic "Mash" with the consistancey of gravy left over. I can't seem to be able to strain it as it is thick enough to clog the filters (I have tried several). Short of creating a small still, how can I get this seperated so I can use the alcohol content to either make jow, or rasie the octane of the wine I already have??

David Jamieson
01-29-2006, 05:30 PM
try clean nylons or heavy cheese cloth, it won't go through the fibres of paper filter but will likely get through those, let the liquid through and leave the sludge.

Royal Dragon
01-29-2006, 07:23 PM
I used a screen strainer, and it just gummed up and won't filter through. It's too think.

joedoe
01-29-2006, 08:35 PM
That sludge is sometimes used in cooking - it can impart a very nice flavour on stewed chicken.

anton
01-29-2006, 09:02 PM
are you using gravity or external froce to push it through the filter?

Royal Dragon
01-30-2006, 07:26 AM
Gravity. I tried to forced it, but the entire "Mash" went through. I may get cheese cloth, and try to squeez it thru that next.

SevenStar
01-31-2006, 01:40 PM
OT, but is that you in that pic? if it is, you look different...

Royal Dragon
02-01-2006, 07:09 PM
Yes, it is me in that pic. I took it a few weeks ago in my living room.

I'm probably a bit thinnner, and much less injured than the last time you saw me.

My girlfreind (of 4 months) gave me a thousand dollar Cannon digital camera for Christmas, and I was playing with it shortly after the holidays. I had it on the tripod with a timer.

That pic is proof that Kung Fu fixes all. I'm half tempted to e-mail that to the doctor who said I'd NEVER do this stuff again!

Royal Dragon
06-20-2006, 06:45 PM
Ok, I finally got my wine to clear. It appears that when you use a Champagne yeast the bubbles make it so the wine will not clear unless you stir them out.

My next mission is to build a little home made still. I think I will be useing an oversized comercially avaliable Turkey fryer burner, and an industrial 100 Quart stock pot.

I am thinking of getting a piece of aluminum about 3/8 thick to go between the burner, and the stock pot to regulate heat.

Any thoughts?

FuXnDajenariht
06-20-2006, 07:49 PM
just buy some alchy.

TaiChi-IronPalm
06-20-2006, 08:40 PM
Ok, I finally got my wine to clear. It appears that when you use a Champagne yeast the bubbles make it so the wine will not clear unless you stir them out.

My next mission is to build a little home made still. I think I will be useing an oversized comercially avaliable Turkey fryer burner, and an industrial 100 Quart stock pot.

I am thinking of getting a piece of aluminum about 3/8 thick to go between the burner, and the stock pot to regulate heat.

Any thoughts?
Do the revenuers know what your up to? :eek:

unkokusai
06-20-2006, 10:25 PM
Ok, I took the rice wine and siphoned off the wine. It looks like watered down skin milk right now, but has a good kick to it. It tasts like a sour Saki.

Do you mean sake, or are you talking about something else?:confused:

mr punch
06-21-2006, 04:23 AM
Do you mean sake, or are you talking about something else?:confused:Unko, RD has the worst spelling of anyone on the board, don't call him on his Japanese: that's just mean! :D

Royal Dragon
06-21-2006, 05:44 AM
LOL on my spelling!

No, I mean Chinese Rice wine. I think Sake uses a different multi part fermantation process. From what I can see Chinese rice wine is a recipe that uses rice, and raisens, or plumbs and is fermented once. Also, depending on the type of rice wine, different kinds of rice, and yeasts are used as well. Sake *is* rice wine, but it is a japanese recipe and different than Chinese rice wine (no rasins or plumbs).

Yellow liquors (黄酒)
Main article: Huangjiu
Chinese yellow liquors, also known as "huangjiu" (Chinese: 黄酒; pinyin: huáng jiǔ, lit. "yellow wine" or "yellow liquor"), are fermented wines that are brewed directly from grains such as rice or wheat. Such liquors contain less than 20% alcohol, due to the inhibition of fermentation by ethanol at this concentration. These wine are traditionally pasteurized, aged, and filtered before their final bottling for sale to consumers. Yellow liquors can also be distilled to produce white liquors, or baijiu (see below).

Chinese "yellow liquors" are classified based on several factors. Among them are the liquor's dryness, the starter used in its production, and its production method.

[edit]

Also see

http://www.wine-storage.com/ricewine2.html

Crushing Fist
06-21-2006, 06:16 AM
he just said that because you wrote "saki" which means "ahead"

its a common error.

interesting experiment you have there.

I saw a history channel show about how egyptians made beer and I just had to do it.

but I dumbly didn't leave a way for the gasses to escape and it went BOOM and launched a geyser of egyptian beer onto my ceiling...

oh to be 14 again :D

one thing I still want to try is the recipe for alcoholic Ginger Beer.

yum, ginger

unkokusai
06-21-2006, 07:53 AM
So, are you making something more like Baijiu?

Royal Dragon
06-21-2006, 09:40 AM
Yup.

I distilled by freezing though.