PDA

View Full Version : Running and times...

GreenCloudCLF
01-30-2006, 08:25 AM
Runners will always tell you that it is the best cardio you can do.

Martial Artsists will say that 60 min of sprints are not the same as 15 minutes of bag work.

Bicyclists will say that running is bad on the joints...

I, personally, enjoy running. I set a goal a few months ago to break a 6:30 mile.

Last Saturday I did 6:27.

I was happy...

Any other runners? What is your best mile?

My next goal is a 6:00 mile.

Oso
01-30-2006, 08:47 AM
congrats. that's pretty fast.

are you just doing 1 mile at a time?

the last time I was in good shape for running I was about 7:45 average over 3 miles.

that was at about 210 lbs and 34 years of age.

Chief Fox
01-30-2006, 08:49 AM
I used to run a lot but not so much in the last 6 months. I've had a few injuries that have made me question running. I do love it though.

I usually cruise along at an 8:00 pace for about 4 or 5 miles. But my best run ever was 5 miles in 30:00. 6:00 minute pace for 5 miles. I couldn't believe it when I was done. That was a while ago and I was also at sea level on a flat course. I now live in Colorado at 6,500 feet above sea level and there are hills everywhere. My best run out here was 5K in 22:30. That's a 7:15 pace. If I was just going to run a mile I'm sure it would be quicker.

GreenCloudCLF
01-30-2006, 08:50 AM
That was 1 mile (I probably could have done another .5 or so, but time constraints didn't allow me)

I can maintain 8:00 for 2 miles and 8:34 for 4 miles...I'm gonna try to kick it up a little more.

Ford Prefect
01-30-2006, 08:54 AM
Oddly enough, I've never run a single mile for time. If I'm doing short work like that, I generally do 400m sprints. My best 3 mile is 18:07 (self timed on a track). Anything over 3 miles, and my time jumps up dramatically by nearly 1:00/mile.

Chief Fox
01-30-2006, 08:59 AM
That was 1 mile (I probably could have done another .5 or so, but time constraints didn't allow me)

I can maintain 8:00 for 2 miles and 8:34 for 4 miles...I'm gonna try to kick it up a little more.
You probably already know this and I'm sorry if I'm repeating info that you are already aware of but here goes anyway. Don't expect to run your best time on every single run. Sounds pretty simple but many runners get caught up in this by looking at their watches too much. From personal experience, if you push too hard all the time, you'll end up with injuries. They will be these nagging little injuries that get increasingly worse and take a long time to heal.

My advice is to mix it up. Do a long run, do some sprints, run some hills and then do your mile like every three weeks or so. Every month have a lite week where you cut your miles in half. Then ramp back up. Go here: http://www.coolrunning.com
Check out their training programs. Set yourself a goal time for a specific race and follow the program.

Running is a lot of fun and racing is a great way to test yourself. But you can over do it if you're not careful.

Good luck.

Oso
01-30-2006, 09:55 AM
{adjusting dails on the WayBack Machine}

my best run in HS was 3.2 in 19:11 and that was at 145#...so, I don't think I've ever been much of a runner.

we used to do 1/4's for 3 miles once a week for practice.

actually, if I remember correct the training schedule was

Mon: 5 miles
Tues: 3.2 miles
Wed: 3.2
Thurs: meet
Friday: either a long 'pack' run where the best runners never got more than 100 yards or so in front of the slowest runners and they would loop back and pick up the slowest. That was a great way to build the team. Plus we would run accross town to the Middle School and play ball on the 8' goals :D

OR

3 miles by 1/4s...so, 12 quarters, all at sprint.

I remember my best quarter at :55 and usually I would start at :57 or :58 and end up with the last quarters being 1:05 - 1:15.

{back to the present}

ahhh, those were the idyllic days of youth.

GreenCloudCLF
01-30-2006, 10:11 AM
Chief Fox,

Thanks for the advice, and I find changing things up is the best way to improve..

I had a stint where I would run hardcore every day just to work on getting my mile down. It wasn't until I took 3 weeks off that I was able to best myself.

I prefer longer runs (usually minimum of 3 miles and up to 7 miles), but now I am fixated on besting my mile time (no reason really.) And I was asked to participate in the NYC marathon by one of my students, so that is floating araound in the back of my head as well (probably not this year though).

FooFighter
01-30-2006, 11:11 AM
Running is the king of all exercise as Bruce Lee once said. I think running is great overall exercise for the body. As a preventive medicine and our long term health, running would be a good discipline if we have the proper technique and physical conditions.

Running was something I did years ago back in High School and maybe this spring I will start back up again slowly. I noticed back in HS I lost alot weight very fast, developed lots of energy, and increased my lung capacity. I kind of miss it because it was best post workout feeling I ever got. The runner's high is awesome! Good luck with your running, bro.

Merryprankster
01-30-2006, 11:20 AM
The last time I ran was in 1998. I was hungover, had smoked a pack of cigarettes the night before, and posted a 30:00 time for 4.5 miles as part of a 4 man team (each person did 4.5 miles...) :D

What does that translate to....6:30 or so per mile?

I wouldn't come anywhere close to that now. On the other hand, I can bring my heart rate much higher for intense bursts of activity...