PDA

View Full Version : Buffy Fu

yutyeesam
01-31-2006, 09:19 AM
I searched but I couldn't find anyone who brought up this topic, so I will

Recently, my fiancee got me addicted to Buffy the Vampire Slayer. I would never admit to this publically until last night.

I just started watching season 3, and in the martial arts choreography, I saw them use Choy Lay Fut, BJJ, and Yang Tai Chi!!!

As much as I wanted to dislike this, I ended up loving it more and more, and then when the martial arts choreography was impressing me, I got hooked for good.

'Course, when they started doing a little bit of Tai Chi forms, I was laughing, because even David Carradine's form looks better, but still, the fact that they were doing it really won points with me.

I can't believe I'm addicted to Buffy. Then again, I can't believe I saw them using Lau Ma Dot Choy and Gwa-Kup in it, either.

GreenCloudCLF
01-31-2006, 09:43 AM
I've been addicted to Buffy for years...good stuff....

GeneChing
01-31-2006, 11:22 AM
I liked the movie. I thought the original Buffy, Kristy Swanson, carried the role much better. Sarah Michelle Gellar bothered me. I think her nose is too pointy or her face was too pouty. She never convinced me that she could throw a decent punch.

That being said, we did a feature story on Buffy's stunt woman, Sophia Crawford, back in our NOV 2000 issue (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/magazine/article.php?article=128). There's a glitch in our online table of contents that omits that article, but you'll see it listed (with Crawford missing a 'd') in our back issue sales (http://store.martialartsmart.net/kf-200011.html) at MartialArtsMart.com.

Judge Pen
01-31-2006, 03:24 PM
I was the opposite Gene, but I do think Swanson was sexier than Gellar.

yutyeesam
01-31-2006, 03:50 PM
I liked the movie. I thought the original Buffy, Kristy Swanson, carried the role much better. Sarah Michelle Gellar bothered me. I think her nose is too pointy or her face was too pouty. She never convinced me that she could throw a decent punch.

That being said, we did a feature story on Buffy's stunt woman, Sophia Crawford, back in our NOV 2000 issue (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/magazine/article.php?article=128). There's a glitch in our online table of contents that omits that article, but you'll see it listed (with Crawford missing a 'd') in our back issue sales (http://store.martialartsmart.net/kf-200011.html) at MartialArtsMart.com.

Really?! I've never seen the original movie but everyone I know who has, said it was ok at best. Maybe Sarah Michelle Gellar is not the best pick, but I love the other characters like Spike and Faith. The writing is pretty darn good, too. It's cool how they like to juxtapose different genres of horror, fantasy, sci fi, thriller.

Good to see that I'm not the only martial artist or CLF guy that watches Buffy!

Jules
02-03-2006, 08:18 PM
I remember the movie, and I thought the TV show was the absolute bomb a few years ago. While I wasn't wild about Sarah Michelle Gellar, what girl didn't want to be just like Buffy? Kicking butt all the time, making out with Spike ... good deal.

I was into BtVS way before I even thought of taking Kung Fu. Now I should get out my old tapes and re-watch it and look for things I might now understand.

~~Jules

SimonM
02-06-2006, 04:18 AM
If you like Buffy the Vampire Slayer but dislike Sarah Michelle Gellar check out the spin-off Angel.

Charistma Carpenter is much prettier than SMG and she is in pretty much the whole series.

David Boreanaz is much more capable of looking like he can actually throw a punch than SMG.

Spike and Faith spend much more time in the series (Spike is a lead character for at least one season) than Buffy does.

Other lead characters (such as Gunn, Fred and Lorne) are endearing in their own right.

The plots are better concieved and much more three dimensional. They turned Wesley into much more than a wuss with a british accent for instance.

5Animals1Path
02-06-2006, 07:05 AM
Angel's writing starts getting good after they move into the hotel. It's a bit heavier then Buffy too, more geared towards grown up nerds.

Buffy's a little more goth teenage daughter, Angel's a little more 23yr old art ***.

Both are good for unexpected humor and cheesy emotional stuff mixed in with supernatural baddies mixin it up.

SimonM
02-06-2006, 08:36 AM
Angel's writing starts getting good after they move into the hotel. It's a bit heavier then Buffy too, more geared towards grown up nerds.

Buffy's a little more goth teenage daughter, Angel's a little more 23yr old art ***.

I was a 23 year old art thug when I started watching Angel. Is that close enough?

5Animals1Path
02-07-2006, 06:49 AM
Only if you mope around for no particular reason on occasion. ;)

SimonM
02-07-2006, 07:47 AM
Only if you mope around for no particular reason on occasion. ;)

Back then? Yeah.

I do agree that Angel was a champion moper. I mean he made Louis from the Interview with a Vampire book look like a cheerful and well-adjusted bloodsucking monster.

yutyeesam
02-12-2006, 10:10 PM
I just started watching Angel. I was informed that you must watch it in conjunction with Season 4 of Buffy. It's pretty sweet how their stories interlock. Kind of like a choose-your-own-adventure fashion.

And again, I'm impressed with the choreography, for being on television and all. Heck, I think some of the choreography is better than martial arts specific TV shows, like Vanishing Son, for example, or the few episodes of Black Sash I caught. I guess what I'm saying is that I'm not a Russel Wong fan!

Can vampires consume anything besides blood? I noticed Angel sipping on tea. What are the limits to the non-blood consumption?

YMC
02-13-2006, 07:49 AM
What are the limits to the non-blood consumption?

Can't believe I'm admitting to knowing this...as far as I remember, there really isn't any. Angel will drink coffee etc. Also as you watch the both series what you'll notice is that Spike has a habit of eating solid food; apparently it is a device in the show to show how unusual a vampire he is as he can still derive sensual pleasure from it, whilst the other vampires (including Angel) can't.

In regards to kung-fu in the Buffy-verse, there is also a nicely choreographed wushu-esque fight scene involving the first Slayer that Spike kills.

LXP=06
02-13-2006, 09:23 AM
Ive got to say i was more into Angel than Buffy {after season 4 of buffy}the fights were alot better aswell