PDA

View Full Version : this stops allfighters, no matter how big

TenTigers
01-31-2006, 05:48 PM
ok, did that just to get your attention, and relieve the bullsh!t of the MMA vs TCMA

so, what do y'all shoot with?

Handguns:
S&W 640 .38
S&W 686 ,357
SigSauer P228 .9mm
Bernadelli 80 .22
Rifles:
Remington 700 McMillan stock,Harris bipod,Leopold variex III
SKS
Mak90 (legal AK47)
Ruger Mini 14
Universal M1 Carbine
Mossberg 500
AR7 (but gave it to my OL-who is also a Bond fan)
Bows:
Oneida Eagle
Hoyt Raider

hskwarrior
01-31-2006, 05:54 PM
one of my favorites is the desert eagle.

then a .357 revolver

in my teen's and ealy 20's i used to carry a 10 gauge until my father found it and tossed it into the bay.

joedoe
01-31-2006, 06:26 PM
Would you use the Desert Eagle as a personal defence weapon? Or is it just a favourite because it is such as big-ass gun? I would have thought that such a high calibre handgun would not be practical in an urban setting, though I know little about guns.

Ou Ji
01-31-2006, 07:11 PM
Springfield 1911 .45 cal next to the bed
Glock 19 9mm for carry
Star model 30 9mm cause I like it

Ruger mini-14 .223
SKS 7.62x39 w/composite folding stock& 75 rnd drum
Colt AR-15 shorty .223
AR-7 for camping (or playing hitman :) ) .22

But I'm not really into guns that much.

Radhnoti
01-31-2006, 07:42 PM
I have two Taurus revolvers, one a concealable snubby .357 with Crimson Trace laser sights for carry. The other a ported 7 shot .357...it stays locked away in my wife's vehicle with .38 ammo.
Got a Mossberg 12 gauge "Mariner" (holds 9) tucked away for my home.

There's a 16 gauge tucked away under the bed from the squirrel hunting days. I hated shooting the little guys, but it was a way to spend time with the old man and walk the forests. Finally, I own an Sks "sportster" that takes AK-47 clips...from my "paranoid friends" days.

puma
01-31-2006, 08:24 PM
Anything but a .22
Preferably revolvers and shotguns

SanHeChuan
01-31-2006, 08:27 PM
M16A2 for when they stop being ***** and deside to come out and play, with bayonet. :rolleyes:

Not really a gun person but thats what they let me play with.

TenTigers
01-31-2006, 09:29 PM
the shorty ar15 is a fun gun. I had a Bushmaster, but sold it to help pay for my bike
My next is probably a ruger mkII bull barrel .22, I am looking for replacement barrels for it to convert it to a hushpuppy
I also would like a walther ppk-cause I'm a Bond freak, maybe a 45 as well
I also like the kel tek, just as small as my SW640 but an auto and higher capacity
of course a Barrett is on my wish list...just in case...and a 30-06, because the 308 is a good round for dear and badguys, but not for bear, and I hunt where there is both. Perhaps a 44 mag as a sidearm for the woods as well. an there is always the Contender-those are just cool.

hskwarrior
01-31-2006, 10:58 PM
no i wouldn't use the desert eagle like in a street situation. but the first time i heard that powerful son of a gun was at a gun range. the guy was like 5 rows away, and when he shot it it let out this sound like a giant cannon. with the ear muffs i heard it perfectly. and my shirt 5 rows away was shaking.

i'm just impressed with its power.

but my other favorite is twin nickle plated .44 magnums.

ak47/ ar15/ 9 mm/ mac 10's are your typical street used guns.

i still don't think none can stand up to the desert eagle.

Oso
02-01-2006, 06:46 AM
Star model 30 9mm cause I like it

The last pistol I carried was a Star Starfire 9mm. I think Star makes great pistols and they are very reasonably priced.

In order of acquisition:

Mossberg 500
Taurus PT 92
Marlin Camp 9
Star Starfire
American Arms 22 revolver (cheaper copy of the Ruger Super Single Six)
SKS
Marlin 39 .22 rifle
Jennings .32 auto

I don't actually own any at the moment having sold them all off to finance other things.

I'm going to probably spend most of my tax refund on firearms this year.

I think it's time to do it before things get totally ridiculous.

this is my favorite and in a perfect world where I'm back down to 210, have 30 regularly paying students and a beautiful girlfriend this will be what I buy first

http://www.springfield-armory.com/prod-rifles-socom-ii.shtml

at least I have the beautiful girlfriend :cool:

hellhound
02-01-2006, 07:17 AM
I would stick with my trusty old .25 caliber Saturday night special. Usually not enough to kill but can sure get the message across. I'd prefer to stay away from taking lives anyway. Disabling is enough for me.

TenTigers
02-01-2006, 07:22 AM
how do you guys like the Taurus? How long have you owned them and how many rounds at a time do you put through them? They are nice looking and alot less expensive than Smiths or Barettas. How is the quality?
There are many schools of thought on this. You can save money-many times you are paying for the name. Then again, some people claim that the higher priced name brands have their parts machined and tempered to higher tolerances. Therefore better reliability-especially in a crisis situation. I chose the Sig-Sauer over the Smith auto because my Dad's Smith stovepiped at the range, when he used reloads. The Sig chambered anything I threw in there. Never jammed. I was working as a bodyguard (briefly) so I wanted something that I could depend on, so it was worth the extra bucks.

Oso
02-01-2006, 08:28 AM
I had my Taurus from 90-97. Basic PT92 blue

My usual practice was generally limited to 50-100 rounds once or twice a month.

I generally practiced by firing two clips slow, 2 clips double tapping and if I had the rounds I'd usually finish by blowing one clip out as fast as possible.

Never a problem.

Sigs are nice for sure but out of my price range.

Oso
02-01-2006, 08:35 AM
I would stick with my trusty old .25 caliber Saturday night special. Usually not enough to kill but can sure get the message across. I'd prefer to stay away from taking lives anyway. Disabling is enough for me.

wow, you must be a h3ll of a shot.

Judge Pen
02-01-2006, 09:50 AM
My dad was an avid hunter, so I grew up around guns. I only keep two with me in Knoxville. A little Jennings 380 in my vehicle and a Remington 12 guage with 00 buck shot in it for the home. I figure if an intruder doesn't run when they hear the "click-click" of the pump, then they mean business. That would make my blood run cold if I heard that sound and I was some place I shouldn't be.

Oso
02-01-2006, 10:24 AM
that's the usual thought w/ the pump but I'm looking to buy another shotgun for the house and my girlfriend has never shot a pump before. I'm debating the panic factor that may freeze her up on the pump action ;)

but seriously, we just had a foot chase through our yard two weeks back.
an armed robber of a conveniance store two blocks away that the police chased and then lost him in the wooded lot next to us. I actually looked out the door in time to see him run into the woods but sensibly shut and locked the door.

when I saw the cops walking through a minute later w/ drawn guns I told my girl that if they started shooting to get in to the tub...which is metal.

we live in a fairly rough area for Asheville...one of the two most notorious drug areas. If we stay, I think it's going to be necessary to have a gun for home defense.

GreenCloudCLF
02-01-2006, 10:24 AM
When I was a cop in DC I had a Glock 19...loved it.

I worked in the Evidence Control for about a month and saw a whole slew of unbelievable gus in the cage. Street weapon of choice in DC is the Tec-9 saw like hundreds of em...mac-10 were popular too...Even had this WW2 Nazi sniper rifle....was pretty cool.

QuaiJohnCain
02-01-2006, 11:02 AM
****, too many to list....

Would you use the Desert Eagle as a personal defence weapon? Or is it just a favourite because it is such as big-ass gun? I would have thought that such a high calibre handgun would not be practical in an urban setting, though I know little about guns.

OK, I own one of these things. It is the one gun people talk most about, but know the least.

Not practical in an urban setting? Cough. That's what they're built for. I suppose maybe you mean concealed? In that case, you may be right. It's far too large and heavy to conceal easily. It weighs over six pounds when loaded. DE's are classified as "entrance guns", meaning they're for the guy that has the drop. It's not a gun that is easily pulled, or quickly aimed. But, they're INCREDIBLY accurate, I can hit beer bottles @80+ yards with it using .44mag rounds. The .50ae rounds are purely for novelty. It may be a big fat bullet, but it does not pack as much juice as the .44, not to mention the fact that it's a horribly overpriced round to buy. Two bucks a shot on average for the good stuff.

As hskwarrior mentioned, it commands attention at the range. Some people leave the range out of frustration that they can't concentrate on thier own shooting when I'm firing it. But, don't let appearances deceive you, there are many other guns with a lot more power than a DE .44 OR .50. Theres .454Casull, the classic .45/70, and S&W500 for example. All much cheaper than a DE as well.

For combat, however, I'll take my glock 20 or 23, or USP Expert.

hellhound
02-01-2006, 12:29 PM
Actually my shot is not bad. I train using crossbow pistols. They're dirt cheap, like $15-$30 on the net. They are great, silent, no license required, etc... The downside of course is realoading an arrow every time and the fact the you will never be able to conceal it (I'd love to see a bouncers face when he finds something like that on me).

That and guns are not too complicated either. You line up the line at the end of the barrel with the notch towards the back of the barrel. It's allot of practice that allows you to do something like that in an instant during a frantic situation.

Oh welll... I probably babbled on for longer than I should have. Regards!

45degree fist
02-01-2006, 01:33 PM
My dad was an avid hunter, so I grew up around guns. I only keep two with me in Knoxville. A little Jennings 380 in my vehicle and a Remington 12 guage with 00 buck shot in it for the home. I figure if an intruder doesn't run when they hear the "click-click" of the pump, then they mean business. That would make my blood run cold if I heard that sound and I was some place I shouldn't be.

Yeah the (CLICK, CLACK) of a 9mm can be heard over the music, the people talking and the idots fighting at any hood party. I know you werent talking about a 9mm but that just reminds me.

party going on 2 people arguing then...... (CLICK, CLACK)
:eek: go the women
:confused: go the people fighting

but to many pull out a firearm without the intention of using it, thats alot more dangerous than using it if you ask me.

Ronin22
02-01-2006, 03:23 PM
HK USP 40

SIG P245 - .45

Both awesome guns! Very reliable and accurate though the SIG is a bit easier to conceal

Peace

Judge Pen
02-01-2006, 03:42 PM
but to many pull out a firearm without the intention of using it, thats alot more dangerous than using it if you ask me.

It's also a crime. You can't brandish a firearm unless you have the same reasonable degree of fear of immenient bodily harm that you would need to justify using one. Plus, from a common sense perspective, if you pull a gun without the intent of using it, then how do I know that? I'm justified in shooting you for simply threatening me with a gun. Never a good idea. Keep it under wraps unless you have to use it.

If I'm in my house and I think someone's breaking in, I'm pulling out the shotgun and pumping the action so anyone could hear it. I have the intent to use it, but I hope the sound scares them away so I don't have to.

TenTigers
02-01-2006, 04:45 PM
HK usp definately out of my range, but it sure is a sweet weapon. side rails, threaded barrel, all come stock-sweet.
Hellhound, you seem to know something about combat shooting. Which stance do you prefer,weaver, quick drop, or isoclese?

Ou Ji
02-01-2006, 05:02 PM
Dang, you guys are mentioning the crappy guns too?

Ok, guess I have to admit I have them too. Jennings .25 and a Lorcin .380.

(hangs head in shame):o

monkeyfoot
02-02-2006, 07:12 AM
well being in england, we are not as 'gun-ho' as you americans.

The closest thing I have had to a gun is a homemade 40cal blowpipe that I used to shoot (powerful and I had a wicked shot)

As far as guns go, if given the opportunity to have any firearm then I would choose one of the following:

Colt M4 or XM177 or Colt Commando
HK MP5 PDW or MP5 SD6
Lee Enfield
HK G3 36c

craig

TenTigers
02-02-2006, 07:20 AM
Man, you guys are gettin me hungry again. I'm gonna have to take my New Year's money down to Bloodbath and Beyond, and buy me another heater!
probably the Ruger MKII

Judge Pen
02-02-2006, 09:03 AM
Dang, you guys are mentioning the crappy guns too?

Ok, guess I have to admit I have them too. Jennings .25 and a Lorcin .380.

(hangs head in shame):o

My guns are hand-me-downs. I've never spent a dime on a firearm. What's your excuse? :p

Ronin22
02-02-2006, 10:17 AM
HK usp definately out of my range, but it sure is a sweet weapon. side rails, threaded barrel, all come stock-sweet.
Hellhound, you seem to know something about combat shooting. Which stance do you prefer,weaver, quick drop, or isoclese?

You could get a nice CZ, good gun at a decent price.

I know you asked Hellhound but for the record I prefer the weaver

Peace

Oso
02-02-2006, 10:21 AM
If I'm in my house and I think someone's breaking in, I'm pulling out the shotgun and pumping the action so anyone could hear it. I have the intent to use it, but I hope the sound scares them away so I don't have to.

IF they are still outside and have not gained entry then maybe that's a good tactic.

If I've detected them in the house then I'm gonna be as quiet as I can be so I get first action whether it be to shoot them or challenge them.

If they're inside and you panic them and they have a gun too then you have a gunfight inside your house with your loved ones around you. You can load small pellets w/ the shotgun and minimize penetration through the walls and still get stopping power at room sized distances.

Shotguns w/ modified (I think) choke spread at 1 1/2 - 1 3/4 inch per yard. So, at even a big sized room of 20-25 feet you are talking about having most of the shot...and power...hitting within 12-15 inches or so. This also means that you still have to aim a shotgun. Just a 1/4 inch deflection of the end of the barrel of your targets centerline at 20' range means the center of your spread is 5" off center when it reaches target. that can mean just winging him and not stopping them

But, if they have a pistol then you've definitely got penetration through the walls with every missed shot...and possibly people in other rooms.

Donkwoon
02-02-2006, 12:14 PM
Rauger stainless steel 38 special revolver. Simple, easy to clean and will never jam.

I almost never use the sights as most firefights on the street happen quickly and at a range of about 10 feet. I just draw, point and blast away.:D

Judge Pen
02-02-2006, 02:16 PM
I'm not sure what the choke is on my shotgun, but it's loaded with buckshot. As for the sound, I want them to run. If they don't, then I know I'm justified in shooting. If I sneak up to them, work the chamber and they are not running away at that very instant, I'm shooting. If I can see they have a gun, I'm shooting anyway. I can aim a shotgun well enough to stop them.

Oso
02-02-2006, 02:21 PM
well, yes but that isn't exactly what you said upthread, is it? ;)

I wasn't implying you couldn't aim well enough...just rambling on some popular misconceptions about shotgunning.

BTW, I'm dubbing your tape as we speak...sorta, well, you know what I mean.

Judge Pen
02-02-2006, 02:28 PM
I figure if an intruder doesn't run when they hear the "click-click" of the pump, then they mean business.

I thought I was being consistent. I want them to run so I don't have to shoot, but I will if someone is in my house--no hesitation.

Thanks for the tape.

Oso
02-03-2006, 06:11 AM
right on that part. But, it's when they hear that, and their own personality, that will determine how they respond.

it's just one of those things that I don't really think works as well as the popular saying says it does.

Judge Pen
02-03-2006, 07:31 AM
Maybe not. I hope I never have to find out.

Ou Ji
02-03-2006, 07:51 AM
In the house, I shoot.

.45 cal Hydroshok minimizes wall penetration if I miss but that's a low probability.

JP
The crappy handguns were brought into my house by the perps I just shot. ;)

TenTigers
02-03-2006, 08:17 AM
"If I sneak up to them," etc...
Just felt the need to comment on this. If someone enters your home, in most cases, it is unwise to sneak up on them. If they know someone is in the house, they will hunker down and hide, like behind a corner, couch, etc. Now, you are looking for them. They know where they are, they now know where YOU are, but YOU don't know where they are.
You never want to sillouette yourself in a doorway.

The best thing is to rack your shotgun, announce that you are armed, and have already called 911. Then, throw out some roach bombs, lock yourself in your safe room, behind your bed, aim at the door, use your cell phone to call the cops, and wait.
You need to have layered security:
1. a well lit home-I have halogen floods on motion sensors, AND timers that light up the entire perimiter-it's like daylight
2. a chain link fence. Most burglers won't even approach a home that makes it difficult to escape from.
3. Security doors-they now make steel security doors that are attractive, and don't look like prison bars.
4. Burgler alarm, with a panic button, connected to a central station-like ADT-with a nice big ugly sign on the property
5. deadbolts, solid door, not cheap hollow core, with a peepjole
6. Dog-not a little yap-yap dog, but a nice, strong, loyal, family member-Chows, Akitas, Retrievers, etc
7. Safe room.Steel door, steel doorbucks,deadbolt,cellphone-in case the phone lines are cut, shotgun, dog is OUTSIDE the room.

Judge Pen
02-03-2006, 08:31 AM
The best thing is to rack your shotgun, announce that you are armed, and have already called 911. Then, throw out some roach bombs, lock yourself in your safe room, behind your bed, aim at the door, use your cell phone to call the cops, and wait.

You are right. That is probably the best thing to do.

What usually ends up happening is that my fiancee thinks she hears something and me and my dog get up to investigate. I grab the shot-gun and check the inside of the house for signs of entry. It is always nothing, but I guess that's what I was referring to. As soon as I see them, or signs of an intrusion, I would rack the gun. If they are not running, then I would shoot (which is exactly the sequence I would have to do if I were to shoot anyway). Any wind creak etc. and she gets scared, so I end up making rounds at least once a month.

Sifu Darkfist
02-03-2006, 07:30 PM
I carry a sig Gsr 45 cal. (it is sigs version of a match grade 1911) I love its tightness and accuracy as well as its response and race trigger.