PDA

View Full Version : Are you still a troublemaker now you know an art?

splodge
01-31-2006, 09:36 PM
Hi,

I was just wondering if learning a martial art has had an impact on the frequency of your street fights?

The reason I ask is that before I started any serious training I always used to enjoy a good scrap every weekend but since I started dedicated training (about 12 years now) the frequency of my street fights has gone to almost nothing.

Whats your thoughts?

Thanks,
Splodge

Mr Punch
01-31-2006, 10:29 PM
No.

I was never a troublemaker anyway, but I've lived in some really bad areas and I've had a lot of street and bar violence in the past, but nothing at all since I started wing chun! :D It's a case of "if only I knew then..."!

I did split up a fight with a guy with a pool cue and one who'd just stuck a glass in his face. My friend pinned the one with the glass to the pool table, and I shoved the other one against the wall... I could argue there were wing chun principles in there but it was probably more like a natural impulse. Plus he had blood ****ing out of his face and although he barely seemed to notice I didn't think he was much of a threat.

ghostofwingchun
02-01-2006, 05:04 AM
Hi,

I was just wondering if learning a martial art has had an impact on the frequency of your street fights?

The reason I ask is that before I started any serious training I always used to enjoy a good scrap every weekend but since I started dedicated training (about 12 years now) the frequency of my street fights has gone to almost nothing.

Whats your thoughts?

Thanks,
Splodge

Mr Splodge I am thinking you have discovered important aspect of martial art training . . . that it gives those of us who have natural leaning toward fighting or aggression some way to constructively discharge it . . . to get it out of our system . . . of course there is also factor of maturity . . . and that after we begin training we can some times find street fights no longer much of a challenge . . . if you know what I mean.

Thanks,

Ghost

kj
02-01-2006, 06:49 AM
I have not had a single street fight since I began training in martial arts. I haven't beaten my wife since I started either.

Regards,
- kj

hellhound
02-01-2006, 07:20 AM
I have learned the precious lesson that "to get into 1,000 fights and win them all is great, however to never have to fight once is even greater". So the mental MA I have learned has kept me out of trouble.

miguelitoe
02-01-2006, 11:11 AM
When it comes to getting into fights, there are two basic types of people. The first is the type that doesn't turn down a challenge and the second is the type that hopes and prays that a challenge never happens.
The first type of person doesn't turn down challenges because they have something to prove. It's the type of person that takes insults and challenges very personally. They become enraged, and reciprocate taunts which surely leads to altercations. For this type of person, MA training leads the person to know their limitations. It lets this type know the level of fighting ability and leaves little left to prove. With nothing to prove, there is no reason to fight.
The second type of person is scared and prone to be bullied. It's in their eyes. When something happens, and provocation occurs, this type of person becomes very full of fear. This is like throwing a steak to a lion. The individual will surely be punked out or get his teeth kicked in. MA training gives this type of person confidence, it changes the look of the individual. When an altercation occurs, this individual will not look fearful, nor provoke the aggressor. Without either factor occuring, a fight usually will not happen(in social situations).
I would have to say that overall, MA training significantly reduces the number of occurances that a trainee will have to fight.

AmanuJRY
02-01-2006, 12:26 PM
I perfected the art of fighting without fighting long before I started training MA.;) :D

Liddel
02-01-2006, 01:49 PM
I never was a heavy participator in fighting before i began VT, however if someone stepped to me to start a fight i wouldnt shy away from it.

If i was totally honest it was because i hated the fact that someone though they were better than me, as a person as a fighter what ever.

Now after years of training i know in my heart that im not a push over and i can take care of myself in some situations, so when i get into a confrontation i have less to prove because ive already proven it to myself, so i usually walk away if i have that opportunity.

The only time i will get into a fight is if someone brings it to me or i have to help someone like a loved one or friend.

anerlich
02-01-2006, 03:19 PM
I got into less streetfights while I was doing WC only, but after a couple of months of Jiu Jitsu I was getting into 10-20 a week.

Take 'em down, choke em out...

Seriously, I have never been a person who looked for fights or attracted them.

there are two basic types of people

If you've seen "Team America", you'll know there are three types of people.

Fajing
02-01-2006, 09:19 PM
When it comes to getting into fights, there are two basic types of people. The first is the type that doesn't turn down a challenge and the second is the type that hopes and prays that a challenge never happens.
The first type of person doesn't turn down challenges because they have something to prove.

That their tiny ***** doesn't make them less of a man and their IQ of 23 doesn't determine their bleak future.:p

The second type of person is scared and prone to be bullied. It's in their eyes. When something happens, and provocation occurs, this type of person becomes very full of fear. This is like throwing a steak to a lion. The individual will surely be punked out or get his teeth kicked in.

Does this logic come from Animal Planet?:confused:

You forgot all of the people who fit into neither category. The world is not this black and white. :D

Mr Punch
02-01-2006, 11:21 PM
When it comes to getting into fights, there are two basic types of people. There are two types of people in the world: those who put people into dumb overlimited categories, and those who don't. The first group are more likely to believe the crock that they come up with than the second kind.

Actually, I prefer Eli Wallach's versions...! :cool:

miguelitoe
02-06-2006, 01:23 PM
It sounds like a couple of people got kind of touchy regarding my personal theories. I meant no offense. I merely came up with two categories for polar opposites that the majority of people can loosely identify with. My post was not meant to put readers in generic packages; it was to get the reader to think about why they no longer get into so many fights since MA training and share their opinions. If you took offense to the post, perhaps you looked at yourself and saw something that you didn't like. Please, no more low blows and keep the conversation civil.

chisauking
02-06-2006, 06:33 PM
I thought your post was good, Mig.

You don't need, nor should you seek, clowns approval

Fajing
02-06-2006, 09:00 PM
It sounds like a couple of people got kind of touchy regarding my personal theories. I meant no offense. I merely came up with two categories for polar opposites that the majority of people can loosely identify with. My post was not meant to put readers in generic packages; it was to get the reader to think about why they no longer get into so many fights since MA training and share their opinions. If you took offense to the post, perhaps you looked at yourself and saw something that you didn't like. Please, no more low blows and keep the conversation civil.

I don't think anyone intentionally dissed your post. It just sounded so high school. :rolleyes: I can respect your POV on the topic. I must have misinterpreted your views on the different types of people. I personally can't see why anyone would get into or provoke a lot of fights regardless of having MA training or not. :confused: It just seems like a clear inadequacy on their part. Anywho....PEACEEE:D

anerlich
02-06-2006, 10:02 PM
I never said you were full of it either, though I don't believe it's quite as cut and dried as you make out. I beleive it's situational as well as personality based. Some will avoid fights unless others are threatened, just as one example. Some will fight if you insult an concept, institution or person they hold dear, but not give a rats otherwise. etc.

I bounced an attempt at light relief of it, not directed at anybody.

You don't need any clown's approval, including CSK's.

Mr Punch
02-07-2006, 12:56 AM
I was attacking your theory... and you personally. Sorry. Was a bit harsh maybe... but having said that, I thought it was pretty oversimplified and limited in merit.

Anyway, stick around, it'll be good to hear your opinion on a couple of other things... but with a thin skin you won't last five mins round here!

Mr Punch
02-07-2006, 12:59 AM
I thought your post was good, Mig.

You don't need, nor should you seek, clowns approvalYeah, true, but it seems like they give it to you easily enough anyway! :D

bcbernam777
02-10-2006, 02:34 AM
You are learning to master yourself