PDA

View Full Version : How to Kill a White Belt - Injuries in Aikdo and Martial Arts

Stumblefist
10-21-2001, 01:04 PM
There has been some Aikido posts so i thought i'd post an interesting article about Aikido injuries. Actually it is relevant to all throwing arts and CMA in general as well.
In Aikido practice on a test if there is an injury, both parties fail. Injuries are of serious concern to Aikidoka.

----------------------------------------
This article was featured in David Lynch's Aikido Journal - Hakama Vol. 4 , No.4 Oct/Dec 1998. For those of you who do not know David Lynch, he spent eighteen years in Japan, studying under Aikido Masters such as: Kisshomaru Ueshiba Doshu, Koichi Tohei (10th Dan), Gozo Shioda (9th Dan) and Kenji Shimazu (8th Dan). He holds qualifications from the Yoshinkan (6th Dan), Aikikai (3rd Dan), Tendokan (3rd Dan), and Shin Shin Toitsu Aikido (2nd Dan). It is generally accepted that David pioneered the early introduction of Aikido into New Zealand.

There is nothing like a breath of fresh air...

Avoiding Injury

by David Lynch

A survey carried out in Japan some years ago revealed that several people had died during Aikido training and numerous others had sustained crippling injuries. The worst cases occurred in largely unsupervised university aikido clubs and were typically head injuries to young inexperienced students. Exacerbating the situation had been marathon, endurance-style training in which student's vulnerability had been increased by exhaustion.

The way in which seniors had abused their position by bullying those beneath them made stressing reading. In one case a female white-belt was repeatedly thrown until well beyond the point of exhaustion by her male black-belt instructor in the name of "hard training". She died. He had been drinking. The tragedy is that virtually all of the deaths and injuries reported in this survey should have been easily preventable.

They were caused by careless training practices and wrong attitudes. Unfortunately, both these factors are still quite common, and not only in Japan. Attitudes are difficult to change but it is the responsibility, not only of the instructors, but of all the members of a dojo to do what they can to expose these before the inevitable injuries occur.

We take this seriously in our dojo and have asked more than one student to leave for exhibiting a competitive, macho attitude. Some people respond to warnings and change their attitudes with time, but the disruption to the dojo, and potential for injury from bad attitudes mean it is generally not worthwhile to wait for the culprit to change. When we sign people on to our membership this is made clear to them. We tell all new members that aikido is a non-competitive art practised co-operatively. If they want to show how tough they are, or want to test others all the time, they had better move to a competitive sport.

Training methods are easier to adjust than attitudes, and there are certain basic rules of training that can minimise the risk of injury and make training safer and more enjoyable for all. For instance, throws should be directed towards the outside edge of the mat. Both nage and uke should look out for this, uke making sure their back is facing the outside in case nage forgets to position things this way. Obviously, if people are thrown towards the middle of the mat the chances of collision are much higher.

Experienced ukes tend to develop "eyes in the back of their heads" but newcomers often seem unaware of the danger of head collisions which can cause serious injury or death. In our dojo we do not go in for endurance tests and believe it is better to have short but intensive sessions than prolonged ones.

Seminars are a slightly different thing in that you are trying to get as many hours of training in as possible in a single day or weekend. But it is possible, in such cases, to reverse the usual ratio of "90% training, 10% teaching", and everyone should keep a watchful eye on potential injuries due to exhaustion. I question whether stamina tests have anything much to do with learning aikido.

Another important rule is to go easy with the final part of a throw, as it is seldom necessary to throw someone hard in order to learn a technique or demonstrate its efficacy. Take shihonage, the technique which caused most of the fatalities in the survey mentioned above. Once you have taken your partner's balance and turned to position yourself for the throw, there is no need to slam them into the mat. If you are in control it should be perfectly obvious that you could throw your uke down hard and fast (and perhaps fatally) if you so desire, so why act it out? You can still move quickly and firmly to set someone up for the throw, then let them fall safely. Since your uke volunteered to be your partner in the technique, it proves nothing to reward them by burying their head into the mat. With beginners, I often use my free hand to cradle their heads as they fall, to emphasise this point. This might be a good exercise for those who are apt to overdo the final part of the
throw.

Iriminage (the second most dangerous technique in the survey) can also be practised in the same way, taking care that the final part of the throw is not too violent and your uke has time to take ukemi properly.

The real skill in aikido is the initial blending with and unbalancing of your uke, after which the throw becomes a foregone conclusion, and you prove nothing by powering someone into the mat. It is also maybe counter-productive for the thrower to overemphasise the end of a throw, as this "end-gaining" attitude tends to create tensions which interfere with the smooth performance of the technique.

When it comes to joint-pressure techniques (nikyo, sankyo, etc) you ought to be able to tell immediately how far you can go without injuring or badly hurting your uke, and you should stay within that limit. The attitude in which you apply a technique with maximum force to see how much your uke can take is the wrong approach and is totally unnecessary for either partner's learning purposes. In fact, if you control your application properly, you can apply these joint-pressure techniques without causing much pain at all. This is a greater test of skill and control than going full out. For instance, you can unbalance your uke with ikkyo, then apply nikyo in such a way that it only hurts if uke tries to escape. Even yonkyo, traditionally one of the most painful techniques, can be applied so that the pain only comes on if uke struggles.

The rule in our dojo is that you are responsible for the welfare of your training partner! This does not absolve uke from learning to fall properly and keeping themselves fit so that they will be less susceptible to injury. Doing warm-ups thoroughly before class is essential, and many injuries occur because of failure to do so.

Many senior aikido instructors are physical wrecks as a result of years of poor training methods. They have sacrificed their health for the sake of some sort of macho ideal of toughness. The martial arts in general have a poor record in this respect, and it is to be hoped that young students these days will be more intelligent in their approach. Knees, elbows, fingers, and toes seem to be the first to be injured, from twists and sprains, and then there are collar-bones, shoulders and hips from bad falls. I recommend paying special attention to these parts of the body, by means of plenty of exercises for strength and flexibility.

[This message was edited by Stumblefist on 10-22-01 at 04:34 AM.]

dedalus
10-21-2001, 03:24 PM
Interesting - thanks.

During my karate years I picked up quite a few injuries from over-jealous joint locks and hard throws. Even in an art that isn't health orientated (like many CMA), it doesn't make sense to lose your condition like that.

Chang Style Novice
10-21-2001, 03:42 PM
Man, if I went for a test and my instructor was drunk - I'd be outta there like Mili Vanili. Of course, you can't always tell right off the bat.

I think the point he raises about aikido being a non-competitive art is interesting. He recommends "If they want to show how tough they are, or want to test others all the time, they had better move to a competitive sport." This makes a certain degree of sense, but I wonder if he's not just moving the problem somewhere else.

Let me explain a little further. I've recently taken up judo - a competitive sport based on martial arts. But our coach is always very clear that we DON'T want to cause injury, and that when applied correctly, the techniques he teaches WON'T cause injury (pain is another matter, he says...) As I see it there isn't anything wrong with sending folks who want to test themselves against others to a fighting sport like judo, wrestling, or boxing. My objection is to sending people who test others against themselves to these activities. It's an important distinction. If you are testing yourself, you'll push yourself and encourage your partner to help out by pushing you. Supposing you lack concern for your own safety, you will still only be likely to end up hurting yourself. A bad propostition, but it's your choice and you're the one to live or die with the consequences. On the other hand if you're testing someone else, you will push your partner. If you lack compassion and empathy, you may end up hurting him or her. This is a much worse possibility, in my estimation since your partner presumably didn't have any desire for a busted ankle or brain hemorrage.

I completely agree with the proposition that endurance tests are inappropriate for martial arts. Endurance helps in fighting, of course, but ma is about skill. Want to test endurance? Run a marathon, and make sure there's plenty of water available for you. These things can be done safely.

Chang Style Novice
10-21-2001, 03:46 PM
Oh, yeah - thanks for the article, SF. Nice one.

shaolinboxer
10-21-2001, 04:52 PM
I have seen this and dealt with this problem. The worst are the "just-become-a-black-belts". Sometimes they forget with whom they are practicing. Ofcouse, advanced practitioners who want to throw the hell out of eachother can and should as long as they can take the fall.

There is no need for this type of behavior. Aikido is designed so that any two people may practice together for mutual benefit.

"She ain't got no muscles in her teeth."
- Cat

Kristoffer
10-21-2001, 05:20 PM
This is a very good thread! Can you please explain what yonkyo, Iriminage and shihonage is? How do u do them? So I can understand why they are so dangerous..?

~K~
"maybe not in combat..... but think of the chicks man, the chicks!"

shaolinboxer
10-21-2001, 05:45 PM
Yonkyo....

There are four basic (arguable five, but most aikido schools offer the first four) "katame (controling) waza (techniqes)".

Ikkyo,Ninkyo,Sankyo,Yonkyo

They are designed to operate so that each one counters a person's resistance to the former, becoming cyclical as yonko draws a couter that leads to Ikkyo.

Yonkyo involves immobilizing a person's wrist while applying a downward stroke to his ulner nerve along the rear side of the forearm. the hand that presses on the nerve must have the index finger extended so the the bone at the base of the finger (the upper pad of the palm) is the focal point. It is generally considered the most painful of the controlling techniques and often causes extended numbness. This is the same as a shomen uchi sword stroke (forward cut).

Irimni nage means "entering throw". There are many variations of irimi nage, dependent on the attacker. You must enter at the point when the attacker has fully commited to his attack, but has not yet reached the point of effectiveness. (You need to cut him off). If you timing and balance is on point, the attacker's thrust is redirected back at himself (he throws himself). This in one of the more "martial" aikido technique series. Gozo Shioda's Iriminage are amazing.

Shihonage - "four direction throw" or "all direction throw". This technique involves unbalancing and winding the attackers arm back into itself. It derives it's name from the ability to throw the attacker in any direction, and the fact that you usually turn at least 180 when performing the technique. There are tenken variation, irimi variations...

The real danger of aikido is that the focus is the unbalancing of the opponent (or uke). Being truely unbalanced in interesting, you can feel no sense of orientation, and have no point from which to control your own movement (except to roll with it). It is as if someone drops the floor out from underneath you by a foot or so, then drives your hips up and your head towards the floor.

To see these techniques try www.aikidofaq.com (http://www.aikidofaq.com) or aikidojournal.com or carbonecho.com. Each instuctor has his own meathod of executing them.

"She ain't got no muscles in her teeth."
- Cat

Stumblefist
10-21-2001, 07:00 PM
"There are four basic (arguable five, but most aikido schools offer the first four) "katame (controling) waza (techniqes)"."

Lyle: You made good explanations.
I saw "What is 5th control?" asked on a black belt test". Apparently it had been discussed in Kenshu sessions.
I think there are more than 10 controls known at Honbu (HQ Dojo) in Japan. But this is very esoteric knowledge.
Think of iriminage for instance as clotheslining a guy or stepping inside or beside his stike, him totally missing and then being flipped.
"Uke" is the attacker.
"Nage" performs the technique.
In aikido the practicioners reverse the roles for every technique. So you learn to do and be done

"It hurts to set you free
But you'll never follow me"

Stumblefist
10-21-2001, 07:07 PM
Lyle: Nice site!
Rawhide
(As written by members of the North Texas Aikido Dojo.)

Rollin', Rollin', Rollin'
Though their toes are swollen
Keep those ukes rollin, Kihon!
Don't try to comprehend them
Just blend, extend, and pin them
Saito Sensei's watching every throw

[chorus]
Ikkyo, Nikkyo, Sankyo, Yonkyo
Ikkyo, Nikkyo, Kihon
Ikkyo, Nikkyo, Sankyo, Yonkyo
Ikkyo, Kihon!

Throwin', Throwin', Throwin'
As the Ki is flowin'
Keep those nage's throwin', Kihon

Keep those nage's throwin', Kihon
Iwama style's not fancy
Resisting it is chancy
But it's loving as they slam you through the floor.

Knifefighter
10-21-2001, 08:59 PM
Never mind=

Stumblefist
10-22-2001, 06:37 AM
This reminds me of injuries in Iaido (Japanese sword and sword drawing).

One day the master said he switched from a practise sword (about $1000 us) to a real one (upteen 1000$ and real sharp!). Iaido uses the thumb against the hilt to help push out the blade. Well, you guessed it, the first time he drew, he looked down and ...blood! Fortunately it was not serious. It shows the diffeerence between a practice weapon and the real thing.

Also, he told us, one day they had had a few beers after class and felt so good they went back for another session. They did a draw and raise to overhead and slice straight down at the kneeling position. It is the first of the common exercises, the draw from Seiza or kneeling posture. Well, this guy on the slice down lost his grip and his sword went sailing forward like a throwing knife and through the leg or calf of the guy in front of him! The sensei didn't report it as serious, but i'm not 100 percent sure it wasn't.
Anyway after that they learned the idea of "staggered" row practise. Also learned the idea of not to come to practice "staggering". :D :D

Kristoffer
10-22-2001, 03:05 PM
A guy in sparring class got his knee kicked out of its joint.. sifu just "snapped" it back with his hands! :eek: OUTCH AS HELL.. :eek:

~K~
"maybe not in combat..... but think of the chicks man, the chicks!"

Rolling Elbow
05-26-2002, 12:59 PM
Let us put aside for an instance the beginner-experienced student training session that gets out of hand... tori and uke are essentially working together during a technique in order to understand the principle behind what they have been shown. Anyone who injures or maims another during randori or the execution of the technique is not only demonstrating a lack of control, but is a complete and utter a$%hole. Why? Cause who in their right mind would agree to hold onto your wrist without kicking you in the nuts, punching you in the face, or tackling you once you start to move on them? Nobody. Case closed..... what a tough man..UNTIL a real life Uke fights back. So while pain may be essential, it has to be pain under control. The knowledge that you "could" have broken something or seriously maimed someone is enough, actually doing so is going too far. The only time i have ever taken it to a higher level is when Uke decides that a simulated strike or soft contact to their face was not enough to warrant them moving back or in the direction i sent them. When you actually do punch them in the chin with about 25% of your power, they quickly see why practicing a technique relies heavily on cooperation between the attacker and defender.