PDA

View Full Version : Need some advice on starting

Stranger
03-13-2001, 04:21 AM
I have recently relocated and a lot of my recent questions have reflected my desire to start formal training in one of the "three sisters".

A lot of the advice that I have received has directed me towards schools that place a heavy emphasis on modern wushu as well as tai-chi, hsing-i, and pakua.

Of the more traditional teachers:

One name that has stood out recently is Sifu Bok-Nam Park. Unfortunately, Sifu Park's school is not exactly around the corner (easily two hour drive EACH WAY!) I don't think I could afford to go there more than once or rarely twice a week. Is that simply not enough time under the teacher's eye? Will teachers even work through a scenario like this, or am I destined to wait until I can live in an area where training is more accessible?

ninja turtle
03-13-2001, 05:54 AM
Call Sifu Park, and ask if there i...... no, no..... go there when you know you will be able to speak with him in person. Explain your situation, make a good impression- maybe, if the planets are aligned just right, he will accept you as his student once or twice a week for several hours. And for regular classes go to a McDojo on a regular basis to learn what there is to learn- you can always learn something from someone, no matter what.

ninja turtle
03-13-2001, 05:54 AM
Call Sifu Park, and ask if there i...... no, no..... go there when you know you will be able to speak with him in person. Explain your situation, make a good impression- maybe, if the planets are aligned just right, he will accept you as his student once or twice a week for several hours a day. And for normal classes go to a McDojo on a regular basis to learn what there is to learn- you can always learn something from someone, no matter what.

count
03-14-2001, 06:54 PM
First of all, there are 4 sisters when it comes to the internals in CMA. Most people overlook Liu Ho Ba Fa.

I think that it would be well worth the trip to get the kind of quality you would get from Master Park. Personally I drive over 75 miles for my class. At first I would go 4 times a week but now I'm down to once a week for a four hour class. The quality makes it worth it and I just work hard on my own. I think that Master Park probably would not be objectionable. I understand many of his students/teachers only learn from him once or twice a year.À

GeneChing
02-27-2018, 08:47 AM
Ready to start Tai Chi? READ An Introduction to Taijiquan and How to Find a Good Teacher (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/ezine/article.php?article=1403) by Timothy A. Griswold

http://www.kungfumagazine.com/admin/site_images/KungfuMagazine/upload/5922_Chen_Wanting.jpg