PDA

View Full Version : CLF in Phoenix, Arizona

Infrazael
02-01-2006, 10:02 PM
I'm pretty ****ed sure I'll be going to Arizona State for university, and I've been frantically searching for a CLF Kwoon there. I'll be at the Tempe campus, but it's like right next to Phoenix so yeah.

I've no desire to learn a different kung fu when I move unless absolutely necessary, so if you know a CLF place then please post or PM me.

I'd greatly appreciate any information.

Thanks and Long Live CLF.

Fu-Pow
02-02-2006, 09:44 AM
ASU is like the biggest party school in the world. Between partying and studying I don't know when you're gonna have time to train!

But seriously I did a bit of searching and I don't see squat except for some wing chun.

One suggestion is that you is that you get hooked up with Tat Mau Wong's distance learning program:

http://www.tatwong.com/distance.php

Then you could possibly start a kung fu club at ASU and work around the material from the distance learning program with other interested people.

The problem with that scenario is that you wouldn't have the direct feedback like from a live teacher. But it might present an option as college only last 4 years and at least you'd be learning some new material and it would make it easier to jump back into traini

CLFNole
02-02-2006, 09:45 AM
Don't you guys have your own distance learning program? I thought Sifu Mak put out a bunch of tapes for that purpose.

Maybe just go to UW and keep training with your sifu.

Peace.

Fu-Pow
02-02-2006, 10:03 AM
Don't you guys have your own distance learning program? I thought Sifu Mak put out a bunch of tapes for that purpose.

Maybe just go to UW and keep training with your sifu.

Peace.

No, Sifu has a bunch of tapes but he doesn't have any kind of official program. Infrazreal could set something up like on an individual basis with Sifu but it would take some serious effort on his part.

The other option is definitely to go local and keep training with Sifu. Also, Havick01 and I are starting our class through the UW experimental college. So you wouldn't even have to leave the U-district to keep learning.

Where there's a will, there's a way.

Infrazael
02-02-2006, 11:05 AM
Between studying and partying?

As much as I love to party, I'm not THAT much of a party guy.

Hell, I go to school, come home, sleep, train, then hit the computer at night.

I'm boring as hell.

Fu-Pow
02-02-2006, 12:08 PM
Between studying and partying?

As much as I love to party, I'm not THAT much of a party guy.

Hell, I go to school, come home, sleep, train, then hit the computer at night.

I'm boring as hell.

Haha...so young and so much to learn. ;) Let's just say that college, especially that first year, has a tendency to "change" people.

yutyeesam
02-02-2006, 03:32 PM
unless your major is cs. then you end up even more isolated than in high school. :D

yutyeesam
02-02-2006, 03:45 PM
Maybe Sifu Mak could allow Infrazael to start a beginner's CLF club in Phoenix? Starting your own club actually is a nice way to force yourself to stay on top of your material, especially the basics. And with those who get pretty decent, you can use them as training partners. Just a thought.

Vajramusti
02-02-2006, 04:27 PM
"ASU is like the biggest party school in the world. Between partying and studying I don't know when you're gonna have time to train!"
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Not quite true. Right now it is the largest US University. There are saints, scholars,
sinners, lots of National merit Scholars, a very good Honors College, a fine library, research facilities a full range of colleges and degree programs... including Arts and Sciences, Engineering,Business, Law. Education. The planetary geology folks are involved in Mars explorations, there is a sunbstantial team in Bio-engineering and bio med and genetics. Its a university that has been at the cutting edge of change including academic change in its fast growth specially since the 60s.

There was a Chinese CLF sifu in Phoenix several years ago- then he moved to SF for a while. Some of his students still meet regularly- but unfortunately I dont have a phone or email link.

The Phoenix area has a pretty diverse group of martial arts schools. I am not sure that forminga club is the best way to learn a martial art- without having regular learning contact witha good teacher.

You might geta response here yet from one of his students.

Infrazael
02-02-2006, 06:39 PM
Going to form a CLF Club if I can, or a Chinese Martial Arts Club.

Of course, we'll be promoting full-contact sparring, heavy conditioning and fighting against other styles.

As far as a teacher goes, haven't found CLF yet. But I have found a guy who teaches Bak Mei and Lung Ying in Mesa; I might just learn some Hakka Fists while I'm at it.

Infrazael
02-02-2006, 06:43 PM
Maybe Sifu Mak could allow Infrazael to start a beginner's CLF club in Phoenix? Starting your own club actually is a nice way to force yourself to stay on top of your material, especially the basics. And with those who get pretty decent, you can use them as training partners. Just a thought.

That actually WOULD force me to the top of my game. I'm the kinda guy that needs something to push me, give me motivation.

First it was self defense. Now that's not really my issue, I'm concerned with sport fighting, weapons, guns, etc. . . . always wanting to learn more.

But to review the fundamentals and be able to show them to others? I'm not even sure I'm not for it.

yutyeesam
02-03-2006, 12:10 AM
It's actually a fun way to meet people as crazy or potentially as crazy about Kung-Fu as you are. In a huge university, it's challenging to find your posse - a Kung-Fu club would help you to find people who can identify with you and vice versa.

I think you'd have a blast and get a lot out of it, and I bet Sifu Mak would be really impressed at your initiative to get to that next level of your CLF training. If you need any help getting set up, PM me anytime.

Eddie
02-03-2006, 05:52 AM
doesnt the word University mean " Party place" is latin or something :rolleyes:

seriously, the first year of university is usually about meeting new chicks and party till you puke - or so they say :cool: . if you can fir in some time to attend kung fu class, it would be good.

anyways, good luck :-)

Infrazael
02-03-2006, 12:14 PM
It's actually a fun way to meet people as crazy or potentially as crazy about Kung-Fu as you are. In a huge university, it's challenging to find your posse - a Kung-Fu club would help you to find people who can identify with you and vice versa.

I think you'd have a blast and get a lot out of it, and I bet Sifu Mak would be really impressed at your initiative to get to that next level of your CLF training. If you need any help getting set up, PM me anytime.

Haha. . . . . yeah. I'm looking forward to 6 months of hard training before heading out for Uni.

I'll talk to him about it.

PS -- I've looked at Tat Wong's "Long-Distance Learning Program."

It's a crapload of $$$ and I get less, worse forms than if I just buy the DVDs of my Sifu. . . . . . . .

They don't have Fu-Pau >_> the sickest CLF form I've seen IMO.

yutyeesam
02-03-2006, 12:57 PM
Plus, each Sifu teaches the stuff a little bit differently. Sifu Wong definitely has a different flavor than Sifu Mak who also has a different flavor from Sifu Hung. You should just go with your Sifu's videos, since you've been training under him for some time now.

I know, man. I'd love to learn Fu-Pau some day. If you can learn that before you leave, that would be pretty **** sweet!

Oh, and as a student org at a big university, you can usually get the school to pay for some equipment! I wouldn't try to get a ching jong or anything, but you get them to foot the bill for some good Thai pads and sparring gear.

Infrazael
02-03-2006, 02:52 PM
Man, I'm going to be one poor kid at the Uni.

CLF will be pretty much free, all I'm training with are videos and concepts, possibly books and dummies.

I'll have to pay for Bak Mei/Lung Ying. I'm also looking to continute my Muay Thai training. . . . .

Hell if I'm too poor then kung fu comes first. I'm not much of a kicker anyways.