PDA

View Full Version : From Five Animals Folics to Five Animals Kung Fu...

mantis108
02-03-2006, 04:49 PM
I was lurking at the five animals Kung Fu threads and I have some thoughts that I would like to share:

First of all, Five Animals Folics (FAF) of Bear, Bird/crane, Monkey, Tiger and Deer is thought to be a lost art. The present versions available are mostly recreated through ideas of the modern practitioners. The original FAF is anything but lost. Having said that the basic principles behind the FAF as an originally health oriented qigong transformed into martial concepts and are used by ancient styles such as Xinyi Liuhe, Xingyi, and even Tanglangquan (praying mantis). Bear Neck (actually neck/shoulder grit), Rooster Legs, Dragon waist (originally deer), and tiger braces head are basic posture requirements. Xing Yi even included these animals and more in the 12 forms.

Five Animals Kung Fu (FAKF), I believe would have some influences from the Kalaripayattu origin if the legend that Bai Yufeng and Li Shou created it from expanding the 18 Luohan hands of Bodhidharma into the predecessor of modern day FAKF is true. The modern day FAKF seems more concern with mimicking the movements and postures of the animals rather than expressing the spirits and fighting strategies of the animals. What's more it bears no resemblance whatsoever to the Kalaripayattu. Of course, we can argue about it till the end of time about this.

Anyway, we could look at leopard's behavior in the wild and get an understanding of how its "spirit" and/or strategy work. Leopard isn't the biggest cat as compare to lion or Tiger. It might lack in size and strenght but it makes up with speed, agility and tenacity. It will chase its prey with speed, tackle it down, grapple with it to kill, and drag it up to trees to store it and enjoy it while avoiding larger size competitors such as the lion or tiger to snatch the prize. All this is done with the same relatively small frame and same set of muscles. The versatility (speed, agility and strength) of the leopard's body is amazing. Now if a Kung Fu person can achieve that he would be as versatile within the close range fighting. But then it's rather hard to see that expressed in those modern forms that mimick only the movements and postures of the actual animal(s).

Mantis108

DRleungjan
02-03-2006, 08:31 PM
Now if a Kung Fu person can achieve that he would be as versatile within the close range fighting. But then it's rather hard to see that expressed in those modern forms that mimick only the movements and postures of the actual animal(s).

I agree with the above. Today's lifestyle is a factor plus add that to the fact that many teacher's left with the knowledge on how to achieve these attributes. Also, call me crazy, but the art of observation has almost died down altogether. It takes time and diligent practice in order to achieve the animals' spirit. Man, we've lost so much touch with nature!

Just some thoughts.

DRleungjan :)

Judge Pen
02-06-2006, 01:44 PM
Having said that the basic principles behind the FAF as an originally health oriented qigong transformed into martial concepts and are used by ancient styles such as Xinyi Liuhe, Xingyi, and even Tanglangquan (praying mantis). Bear Neck (actually neck/shoulder grit), Rooster Legs, Dragon waist (originally deer), and tiger braces head are basic posture requirements. Xing Yi even included these animals and more in the 12 forms.

Interesting. We are tought FAF (live training, dead training and qi gong) at the same time as we are taught Xing Yi. The theory is that they compliment one another and the FAF is excellent training for the requirements of Xing Yi.

Just thought I'd share.

Xiao3 Meng4
02-06-2006, 06:24 PM
Mantis 108,

great thread! I've always wondered about a FAF/FAKF connection. Have you checked out what relationship the Chinese doctor Hua Tuo (ca 200AD) had with FAF? Did he have a relationship with Shaolin?

CSP

wukong-zero
02-06-2006, 07:37 PM
Yeah this is a great thread……Here’s my understanding….which may be in error as it has been sometime ago I acquired this info. Many…many years ago I was taught a Shaolin 5-Animal Health/Strength Program. It had the basic the traditional 5 Shaolin animals, but the claim was made that it may have origins in Hua To’s FAF. As pointed out in another tread, FAF has deer, monkey, bear instead of snake and leopard.

If memory serves it was Hau To who fully developed FAF, which was the first comprehensive exercise program involving animal movements. To some extent it could be argued that the basic premise of the FAF was then used as a foundation for later development of animal exercise and fighting sets in CMA.

Judge Pen
02-07-2006, 07:24 AM
Five Animal Frolic: Bear, Monkey, Stork/Crane, Tiger and Deer

Shaolin Five Animals: Tiger, Crane, Leopard, Snake and Dragon

Five Elements: Metal, Wood, Water, Fire and Earth

These theories all have overlapping and principles and corresponding energies, but is there evidence that there's a direct link to the Five Animal Frolic to Shaolin's Five Animals? It all seem circumstantial/coincidental at best.

mantis108
02-07-2006, 01:51 PM
Glad you like the thread and thanks for the support. :)

Xiao3 Meng4 and All,

Hua Tuo (approx. 190 CE) predates Shaolin or rather Bodhidharma's arrival (475-536 CE) by a few centuries. So I don't think there can be a direct link whatsoever. However, the seed of FAF would have been sow by Hua Tuo's time. Having said that, I think we should remember that Hua Tuo might just be like Bodhidharma in the sense that he was accredited with the invention of the FAF. There are documentations around Western Han dynasty about physcial exercises that also mimic animals. In fact, there is a posture named Tanglang (praying mantis). Furthermore, Zhuang Zi (369 - 286 BCE) mentioned similar exercises referencing as bird and bear movements. Hua Tuo as an icon in Chinese culture represents 2 things IMHO. First and foremost, he hails in the zenith of Chinese medicine since the dawn of Chinese history. Secondly, his practice also represent the most vital aspect of Chinese medicine that healing is for the people, by the people and of the people. It is the grass root folks that need to take responsibility for preventive medicine which is at the very core of the Chinese medical philosophy. Doctor's role is secondary.

So it is rather clear that FAF is meant to be a folk "art" and by no mean a "monastic art". This is important because we see that all those people accredited with the invention of the FAKF during Yuan dynasty are in fact common folks who later come to Shaolin as monks or lay person. Especially, Bai Yu Feng who is believe to be well versed in Qigong and swordsmanship prior to enter Shaolin which has a culture of adsorbing and laying claims to anything that enters its walls even today.

I think that a lot of Kung Fu arts are folk arts and not necessarily monastic arts which is basically a form of escapisim IMHO.

Hi Judge Pen,

<<<Five Animal Frolic: Bear, Monkey, Stork/Crane, Tiger and Deer>>>

it should be just bird and no specific spiece was given originally as far as I am aware.

<<<Shaolin Five Animals: Tiger, Crane, Leopard, Snake and Dragon>>>

I concur.

<<<Five Elements: Metal, Wood, Water, Fire and Earth>>>

I would prefer the term five phases and distinguish it from the 4 elements (Earth, water, wind/air, and fire).

<<<These theories all have overlapping and principles and corresponding energies, but is there evidence that there's a direct link to the Five Animal Frolic to Shaolin's Five Animals? It all seem circumstantial/coincidental at best.>>>

Chinese worldview is holistic and organic in nature. So "overlapping" is not surprising. I believe there're more to it in the choice of animals in the FAF that reflects the ancient culture and believe system of Shuang Dynasty (17th century - 11th century BCE). The FAKF is definitely a different story. So...

I would agree with you that there is no direct link tracable. But I believe there are circumstantial evidences (not proof) that reasonable doubt of Shaolin's claim of any animal Kung Fu originated within its walls (especially that of the Henan Shaolin) can be established. It is more than likely that Animal kung Fu in China properly existed outside the monastery walls hundreds if not thousands of years old.

Warm regards

Mantis108

wukong-zero
02-07-2006, 02:21 PM
Yes you could be correct on this as with so much on CMA history there seems to be little in the way of written records and what you hear from one source may or may not be credible. It appears only by referencing a number of sources and trying to find consistency is there much hope of getting some degree of accuracy.

And as I stated before, it has been a number of years I acquired this material and it could be my memory that is at fault. Nevertheless, is there any connection to the FAF and any other CMA programs? In addition, does anyone have any info on the Shaolin 5-Animal Health/Strength Program? (I don’t have any more details other than it is a set of isotonic and breathing exercises patterned after the five animals of Shaolin). I’ve been practicing some of the exercises for about 20 years and it has been of benefit. Rather surprising as looking many of the exercises you really wonder what possible benefit they might have, but over time you finally get a payoff. Perhaps in this regard it is similar to FAF?