PDA

View Full Version : Eagle Claw Manuals?

SphinxPalm
02-06-2006, 03:36 PM
Hi Everyone,

Peace, fellow trainees- ! just new on this forum. I do not belong to a school of martial arts...im still looking for the right one for me. Right now im on a training schedule of Weight Lifting, Boxing, Ju-Jitsu and a bit of street fighting. But my passion has been traditional Chinese martials Arts from day. Well having piles of old school kung fu flicks also fuels the desire to learn!! Id like to start to teach myself some Eagle Claw, but have been unsuccesful in finding a book that i feel will be beneficial....i found this on Amazon ;

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0804832153/qid=1139265267/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1/104-7380313-3844711?s=books&v=glance&n=283155

but the bad reviews have put me off....not just the negativity but the reasons for the negativity....could someone recommend some GOOD literature in English....would be much appreciated....Thanks...."Sphinx Fist"

IronFist
02-06-2006, 08:37 PM
Books on styles are usually only good for getting info about that style. If you have previous martial arts experience, you may be able to get a couple useful things out of it and apply them, but you're not really going to learn a style from a book.

And I'd be leary of learning from anyone whose technique looked like the guys on the front of that book...

GunnedDownAtrocity
02-06-2006, 09:44 PM
i dont mean to keep whoring this book, but i'm betting this would help your eagle claw more than you'd think.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/092688803X/102-9395493-8226518?v=glance&n=283155

not something mentioned in the book, but ive also been tearing every single piece of garbage into smaller and smaller pieces. especially cardboard.

i dont really know anything about the style, but im guessing its pretty useless without strong hands.

IronFist
02-08-2006, 03:45 PM
^ Yeah, I bet that book would be one of the best hand strength books you can find.

Remember, just because it's cool-looking and you see it in kung fu movies doesn't mean it's an effective or efficient way of training.

SphinxPalm
02-12-2006, 02:46 PM
Hey thanks for the replies guys, im surprised and a bit dissapointed that this seems to be the only book available to non-chinese speakers. Seems like they wanna keep it in the fam, who knows.

Books on styles are usually only good for getting info about that style.

yes but i wouldnt wanna spend 20 bucks on a book about eagle claw history i would prefer something which is beneficial and i can learn something from, indeed getting a good trainer is neccessary for serious training, but i dont see why i cannot refer to a "manual" for some start before i find a school.

If you have previous martial arts experience, you may be able to get a couple useful things out of it and apply them, but you're not really going to learn a style from a book.

i always thought thats what these books are for, but yeah i understand ur point.

not something mentioned in the book, but ive also been tearing every single piece of garbage into smaller and smaller pieces. especially cardboard.

lol sounds like eagle claw 2 me, how have u learnt to do that?

Remember, just because it's cool-looking and you see it in kung fu movies doesn't mean it's an effective or efficient way of training.

yep, realised kung fu movies exagerate alot, and make things look flashy, but i understand one should choose their style based on there qualities and body figure, and i think for myself, Tiger and Eagle styles will suit me best.

Thanks, Peace

ngokfei
02-12-2006, 04:31 PM
Books are really only good for reference and refresher for those who have learned the material already.

Your probably better off purchasing Instructional Video's. 3 of the major 4 lineages have videos available.

Shum Leung, Lilly Lau and Gini Lau.

Check out this new website.
http://eagleclawkungfu.forumco.com/default.asp

They also have a link to an eagle claw info site that gives you the contacts for all the branches and where you can buy their instructional videos

peace

Wong Ying Home
02-13-2006, 11:45 AM
take a mung bean, place it between the tip of you thumb , index finger and middle finger, keep all the finger joints traight and roll the mung bean around 100 time clockwise and anti clockwise, the skill is keeping the finger and thumb joints stratight

SphinxPalm
02-17-2006, 02:56 PM
Thankyou very much that was helpful....Peace!!!

dougadam
02-25-2006, 11:09 AM
I have found eBay to be a good source for books. :)