PDA

View Full Version : practice pratice pratice

EarthDragon
02-07-2006, 11:17 AM
Great story! sometimes it makes me proud to be a teacher.

I had a student about 4 years ago that joined the peace corps. He wound up in a very small village in south america. Recently he came home for his brothers wedding and stopped into the school to say hi.

After some great conversation he said Sifu I want to show you something. He then stood up and performed our 5th set lanjie (intercept) flawlessly
I mean I have never seen it played better by anyone. It was quick, sharp, and percise.

He admitted that he forgot much of what he had been taught, as he didnt have a partner to practice on or with, but with no T.V. no radio and not much else to do he found himself practicing his kung fu set over and over to pass time.

He told me he did it 3 times everyday without fail for the better part of 4 years. he then asked me what else should I have have been practicing?
I explained that nothing more was needed. that form taught him grace, speed, agility, power and most of the practical application for fighting.
It made me proud to see the seed I had planted grow into something so beautiful.....

Just wondering if this has happened to you and your stories to share.. be well

Oso
02-07-2006, 11:35 AM
yea, I've got a got that started w/ me almost 5 years ago. He was training good for a couple of years but was driving 45-60 minutes one way to do it.

a second kid and school and work have contrived to make it possible for him to drop in every once in a while for class.

last time he came in he was a bit out of shape for keeping up with the regular pace but his forms were tight and in our beginning staff form there is a jump over the opponents sweeping staff and he got twice as much air as anyone else.

wish he could get in regularly :(