PDA

View Full Version : Punching (video of yours truly)

Nick Forrer
02-07-2006, 02:19 PM
Hey guys

following on from the ground fighting clip here is a video of yours truly showing (one possible) punching strategy on the street:cool:

http://rapidshare.de/files/12769315/Nick_hurricane_hands.avi.html

Download directions for those who are having difficulty:

Click on the link in the post above...

Scroll down the page and you will see a table with three columns and a load of rows.

In the bottom row in the left column it says 'select your download'.........left click on the free option in the right hand column of the same row

A new window will open and it will say 'download ticket reserved....please wait'

Your download should then start.

Liddel
02-07-2006, 02:42 PM
I had probs but then found my way...... Good to see a VT man follow up with elbows !
My personal favorite :)

Ernie
02-07-2006, 04:24 PM
Hey Nick
some of that looks strangely familiar ;)

SifuAbel
02-07-2006, 05:18 PM
The opening technique is found in monkey. With the exception of the follow up.

Nick Forrer
02-07-2006, 05:23 PM
Liddell

Cool glad you liked it:)

Ernie

I dont know what you mean;)

Abel

Thanks for the info.....I liked the clips you had of your forms in your sig a while back

wei wu wei
02-07-2006, 11:33 PM
good to see adam and clive still doing their thing in the background.

Nick Forrer
02-08-2006, 02:54 AM

Do you know either of them?

Have you been to the class?

wei wu wei
02-09-2006, 11:24 PM
yes to both questions

amjg2000
02-10-2006, 04:39 PM
Hey Nick, cool video. I like the outside lop (na sao), into a straight punch opening, it works well against people who like to punch and probe (keeps the arm out). Nice to see the chum kiu elbows too :D A variation of that is outside lop, straight punch, neck grab (with straight punch hand), and then the na sao turns into a elbow. You can even add a low level groin or knee kick after establishing the bridge.

Often times the guy can't even complete the left hand because the lopping hands elbow is positionally so close and has to travel a short distance to strike.

Personally, i like to use more evasive footwork and flank a bit more, especially after the initial straight in interception. You can still shut down a person by flanking the side, pressing, and attacking. Not to mention it opens up all types of openings: floating ribs, side of the knees, kidneys, etc. Kind of like how you finished in the end with a shoulder/neck pull in conjunction with a knee strike. Not to mention, its great for training against multiple opponents. You hit and put yourself in a position where you either can't be hit (you are offline), or ready to speed past get out of harms way for the next guy, and the bonus is that you potentially eliminate one arm and one leg from being able to strike, since the guy has to either step back or circle around to hit ya with the limbs from the other side.. The leg bridging is very important in flanking, since it sets you up to "feel" the guys intent.

Very cool. I'll try to post some videos of a similiar exercise we do.

fiamacho
02-15-2006, 10:18 PM
Nick I have taken a good look at your video and your movements are way to circular. Your left is lop sau is not controlling your oppnents arm at all, you are also not very free with your footwork. Try and eploit the angles more and gain better control at the "point of contact" you are wasting too much time.

In combat you need to trap and control first, you have primarily focussed on speed with little control.

Matrix
02-16-2006, 09:04 PM
fiamacho,

Can you elaborate on what you mean by "not very free with your footwork"?
Thanks in advance.

Nick Forrer
02-17-2006, 10:46 AM
Thanks for the feedback guys....good and bad. I agree that their isn't much elbow control....this was more a 'look good for the camera' thing. I might put up some more later with some 'tighter' wing chun in it. Oh and Bill.....I was confused about the footwork comment too...perhaps inferences can be drawn from my upper body positioning....Although personally I dont have a fixation with 'angling off to the blind side' as seems to be de rigeur in certain lineages........

Matrix
02-17-2006, 06:25 PM
...perhaps inferences can be drawn from my upper body positioning....Although personally I dont have a fixation with 'angling off to the blind side' as seems to be de rigeur in certain lineages........This is the problem with video analysis. I've been gulity of it myself, but it's easy to find all kinds of "flaws" with someone's skill when watching the video replay. Especially when we apply our own bias to the review. Having said that, I think that you video is better than most I've seen.

Footwork is one of the most important, and least discussed, components of the art, IMO. That may be the reason that fiamacho's comment caught my eye.

Ultimatewingchun
02-17-2006, 09:38 PM
"I had probs but then found my way" (Liddell)

***NOT ME! :confused:

Need more instruction - can't get it to play.

YungChun
02-18-2006, 05:05 AM
"I had probs but then found my way" (Liddell)

***NOT ME! :confused:

Need more instruction - can't get it to play.

It's an odd site..

When you get to the first page a counter loads and you have to wait for it to count down around 10 seconds or so.. THEN the download link will appear - this is around the middle of the page..

I totally missed it the first couple of times..

Ultimatewingchun
02-18-2006, 08:55 AM
What does the downoad link in the middle of the page say (look like)???

I saw the counter and all...but I can't find the link afterwards.

Matrix
02-18-2006, 01:10 PM
Victor,

After the count-down you will see three large letters that appear to overlap each other.
- Type the letters in where in says "here:" ( the letters vary each time, so I can't tell you what they are)
-click on the "Download from Net-Mirror Alpha" button.

Ultimatewingchun
02-18-2006, 06:18 PM
The whole f_ckin' thing is getting worse now...I swear...I HATE computers...Now the counter never even comes on after I click the "free" button.

I think I'm done with this thread.

Matrix
02-18-2006, 06:30 PM
Victor,

Try scrolling down the page a little after you click on the FREE button.
You should see the counter and the other stuff that I mentioned earlier.

Remain calm, and keep your hands on the keyboard at all times. ;)

Ultimatewingchun
02-18-2006, 08:30 PM
Ha! Ha! I'll try it, Bill...

But I don't expect much by now. :rolleyes: :eek: :D

YungChun
02-19-2006, 05:29 AM
Victor,

If you still have not been able to d/l it I can send a copy to your email address if you wish.

Mr Punch
02-19-2006, 05:55 AM
Ha! Ha! I'll try it, Bill...No! NOOOOOOOOOOOhhhhhhhhhh!!!

Save yourself Victor! It's footage of two non-resisting wing chunners doing a wing chun demonstration! Avert your eyes!:D

Ultimatewingchun
02-19-2006, 10:01 AM
Thanks, Bill...finally got it to work following your instructions but had to use a different browser...and thanks, YungChun, for the offer.

Not much I can say about this clip - other than saying to folks that you should watch it again and see what the other guy is doing...(nothing).

Looks like Nick has put some time into wing chun - but perhaps needs to spend more time working against resistance then doing drills like this (Mat is right).

And fiomacho's comments about footwork (and distancing) also make sense...looked like Nick was actually jamming himself up at times more than he was doing it to the other guy. And fiomacho's point about circular movements and lack of control before attacking - for the sake of speed are also true..."In combat you need to trap and control first, you have primarily focussed on speed with little control." (fiomacho)

Just to give one example of insufficient control first: saw some stuff that I thought would be problematical for Nick if he tried it against a resisting opponent (ie.- like whether or not a backfist would be appropriate when he used it - what if a rear cross was coming at that moment?...Remember, Nick was right in-between both the opponent's arms when he threw it - too close to the other guy's rear arm to be able to deal with it with the angle he was taking on the backfist (if the cross came)....I'm really not a fan of backfists at all, quite frankly.

But these things would start to take care of themselves if he was working against resistance.

Glad to see the clip, though.

I think we should all be less bashful about posting and risking a bad critique....so props to Nick for doing it. ;)

Fajing
02-19-2006, 04:23 PM
Thanks, Bill...finally got it to work following your instructions but had to use a different browser...and thanks, YungChun, for the offer.

Not much I can say about this clip - other than saying to folks that you should watch it again and see what the other guy is doing...(nothing).

Looks like Nick has put some time into wing chun - but perhaps needs to spend more time working against resistance then doing drills like this (Mat is right).

And fiomacho's comments about footwork (and distancing) also make sense...looked like Nick was actually jamming himself up at times more than he was doing it to the other guy. And fiomacho's point about circular movements and lack of control before attacking - for the sake of speed are also true..."In combat you need to trap and control first, you have primarily focussed on speed with little control." (fiomacho)

Just to give one example of insufficient control first: saw some stuff that I thought would be problematical for Nick if he tried it against a resisting opponent (ie.- like whether or not a backfist would be appropriate when he used it - what if a rear cross was coming at that moment?...Remember, Nick was right in-between both the opponent's arms when he threw it - too close to the other guy's rear arm to be able to deal with it with the angle he was taking on the backfist (if the cross came)....I'm really not a fan of backfists at all, quite frankly.

But these things would start to take care of themselves if he was working against resistance.

Glad to see the clip, though.

I think we should all be less bashful about posting and risking a bad critique....so props to Nick for doing it. ;)

Wow...that's quite the critique, Victor. Good stuff! I didn't catch all of that.:)