PDA

View Full Version : Another Shaolin-Do Thread??!?!?!

GreenCloudCLF
02-10-2006, 10:22 AM
Just one simple question....was the dog-man for real?

Is that really what he looked like???!?

Ou Ji
02-10-2006, 10:35 AM
Alright, Shaolin Do 2.

Or should we call it Shaolin Dos? :D

Here goes another can of hairy worms.

MasterKiller
02-10-2006, 10:43 AM
Obviously, he was real and that's what he looked like. It's a photograph and not a painting.

Judge Pen
02-10-2006, 11:23 AM
Yes, MK, but is the dog-man in the photo the Grandmaster of Shaolin?

I suppose Su Kong Tai Djin is as real as the "Green Grass Monk." He is a part of our marital history that is 100% unprovable. No other record of him outside of SD has been discovered, but what does that mean? That no record exists.

If he did exist, he was dead by the time that Sin The was born. So even GM The' doesnt' know for sure. If GM The's teacher told him the hairy man was real, then why would he not believe his teacher?

Ultimately, it doesn't matter much to me. If he was real then great. If he wasn't real, then I know that Sin The is real. I know that my teachers are real. I know I can use the material that I've been taught. It keeps me in shape, it's challenging, and I can fight with it. That's real enough for me.

shadowlin
02-10-2006, 12:16 PM

I usually avoid ad hominem attacks, but I can tell you with absolute certainty that a lack of modesty and respect in you reveals you'll never amount to anything in the martial arts... or anything else.

Mend your ways, or end up just another person that got nowhere in life.

lxtruong
02-10-2006, 12:45 PM
Since this topic worthless I would like to point out

International Talk Like A Pirate Day! (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk_like_a_pirate)

GreenCloudCLF
02-10-2006, 12:48 PM
MK: Because photos can't be faked?

JP: Thanks for that. That is more along the lines of the answer I was looking for.

SL: What's the matter? You've never seen something so unusual it gives you a WTF??? moment?? That's what the photo did for me. And, I like the internet tough-guy pose. You gonna challenge me to cross the country to fight you too? Come-on now. A forum is a public place for people to share and discuss. You gonna attack everyone who questions something about a style? Or are you a Shaolin-Do guy (which I have nothing against...I mean I like the Judge Pen guy. He's cool.) who got mad cause I dissed the si-jo?

Tingjid
02-10-2006, 01:26 PM
I usually avoid ad hominem attacks, but I can tell you with absolute certainty that a lack of modesty and respect in you reveals you'll never amount to anything in the martial arts... or anything else.

Personally, I don't think he was speaking with disrespect, that is merely one way of asking a question, and there's never anything wrong with asking questions, especially here, you have some people who know what they're talking about like Judge Pen. You have to ask wether the disrespect was in the wording or the way you read it. Of course the lack of disrespect I see could also be in the way I read it, but perhaps that's because that's the same way I speak.

To tell a man he won't ever amount to anything is a bit harsh, especially for an internet forum. I personally am a Shaolin Do student and I love it, and Grandmaster, I've met him several times and eaten dinner with him twice, he's a great person, a great martial artist and one of the most geniune people that I've ever met. But not everyone sees that and they're entitled to their opinions.

To tell him to mend his ways seems rather arrogant, you seem to be assuming that your way is by definition the correct way not only for you but for everyone. But frankly the way you worded your response makes you sound like a troll. So now I officially add this to my signature and perhaps next time I will take my own advice. Have a good day :D

Brad
02-10-2006, 07:55 PM

What would you expect someone described as a dog faced to look like? :D I wonder if the monks would've made him shave his head when he was in the temple :confused:

kwaichang
02-10-2006, 08:08 PM
Didnt you shave your head if you intended to be a monk of the faith ?? KC

BM2
02-11-2006, 06:54 AM

Well said. I wasn't going to feed the troll by responding, then I read your post.

Ou Ji
02-11-2006, 08:50 AM
Ah, we're all getting troll slappy I tell ya. We're seeing 'em behind every post in every thread.

We rant and rave at 'em see?

Then some dame comes along, a classy dame, with pins that'll make you forget to wind your watch.

Next thing you know you're up to your beer hole in trouble.

Oops, sorry. I got sidetracked into the 50's. What were we talking about?

Oh yeah, NOBODY EXPECTS THE TROLL INQUISITION!

Quickly, bring the comfy chair.

:p :p :p

GreenCloudCLF
02-11-2006, 08:54 AM
Forget the comfy chair....use the fluffy pillow...

TenTigers
02-11-2006, 09:06 AM
that picture has appeared in Guiness' Book of World Records, as the dog-faced boy. Not a similar one, but that exact pic, same suit. Nothing was ever mentioned about him being involved in Martial Arts, or a Temple, or anything close. One would assume that something as unique as that would come up.
Frankly, I'm confused.

Ou Ji
02-11-2006, 10:24 AM
I've heard that but haven't seen both pics so if anyone can scan that copy of Guiness Book of World Records for a comparison it would be great.

I think last time we went around with this there were some pics posted but they were not exactly the same.

Radhnoti
02-11-2006, 02:01 PM
The fellow in the Guiness Book (actually it may have been another, similar, publication) was JoJo the Dog faced boy. Kung Lek, one time mod going by his actual name now, felt the two pictures side by side were not the same person...and I agree. Most seemed to agree.

Any google search for "jojo the dog faced boy" will yield plenty of pictures.

Brad
02-11-2006, 11:31 PM
Just started posting on another forum and there's someone saying that she studies "Shaolin Ssu" at the Shao-Lin Center (on the west coast) under Grandmaster Sin Kwang The (the third EVER! grandmaster of Shaolin)... oh, and all you Shaolin-Do guys (which are mostly on the east coast) are just out to hurt people, while Shaolin Ssu carries on the true teachings :D So is this just a rouge school or random flake? ;)

BTW, anyone know what "ssu" means? Is it just a word for temple?

BM2
02-12-2006, 01:57 AM
that picture has appeared in Guiness' Book of World Records, as the dog-faced boy.

Not a similar one, but that exact pic, same suit.

Nothing was ever mentioned about him being involved in Martial Arts, or a Temple, or anything close. One would assume that something as unique as that would come up.
Frankly, I'm confused.

Ok go ahead and scan the page and post it.

Judge Pen
02-13-2006, 07:12 AM
Ok go ahead and scan the page and post it.
It wasn't the same exact picture of jojo. My recollection is with Rad's. I think a story did get circulated on this forum that went something like this:

The Willow Sword said that some 1980s version of Guinness had the exact same picture of Su Kong listed as Jojo. He (or someone else) pointed that out to an SD teacher in Louisville and the the book went mysteriously missing from all the libraries in Louisville (insert ominous music here). I wonder if it was removed from all the libraries in all the world?

Frankly I've never seen Su Kong's pic anywhere else although the front of that old 'Kansas' album is suspicious . . . . .

MasterKiller
02-13-2006, 07:22 AM
Jojo's facial hair pattern is nothing like Su Kong's.

http://images.google.com/images?q=jojo+dog+face&hl=en

Radhnoti
02-13-2006, 08:40 AM
TWS had a pic from a different source though, right?
Lao or Bao-something? The guy WAS at least Chinese (again, I didn't think it looked like Su but some, like TWS, did)...but I've read somewhere that China has/had a larger population of folk with hypertrichitis(sp?). The same source indicated that people with this affliction seemed to have heightened reflexes, strength...just physical characteristics in general.

I've stated my opinion before. I think Su existed, but I think someone so unique rising to a position of power would have more than one martial group with stories about him. What about all the other martial arts claiming links to the Southern Shaolin temple? They just happened to forget this amazing character? Unlikely. It seems to me he would actually be a Chinese folk hero if he'd really were a leader in the famous Shaolin temple. Far more likely that GM Ie met him in his travels (with, I suspect, a circus-type group) and learned from him.
Just my opinion.

Brad
02-13-2006, 09:11 AM
The Willow Sword said that some 1980s version of Guinness had the exact same picture of Su Kong listed as Jojo. He (or someone else) pointed that out to an SD teacher in Louisville and the the book went mysteriously missing from all the libraries in Louisville (insert ominous music here). I wonder if it was removed from all the libraries in all the world?
Our library system seems to have a lack of GWR books and side show books too :p Personally, I think if someone is really serious about finding out if this pic is legit, they should find doctors/scientists that devote themselves to studying this condition...

What about all the other martial arts claiming links to the Southern Shaolin temple?
Don't forget that most have the Southern Shaolin Temple being destroyed long before Su Kong would have been born.

GreenCloudCLF
02-13-2006, 09:14 AM
Our library system seems to have a lack of GWR books and side show books too :p Personally, I think if someone is really serious about finding out if this pic is legit, they should find doctors/scientists that devote themselves to studying this condition...

Don't forget that most have the Southern Shaolin Temple being destroyed long before Su Kong would have been born.

Do we have a name for this condition? Or should I just type "furry people" into yahoo!?

Judge Pen
02-13-2006, 09:18 AM

The condition is legit. I don't know how a scientist could tell from the two known pictures representing to be Su Kong whether he suffered from that condition.

Yep. But there are others that deny the existence of a southern martial temple altogether. And there are others that say there were many southern martial temples.

Judge Pen
02-13-2006, 09:19 AM
Do we have a name for this condition? Or should I just type "furry people" into yahoo!?

hypertrichitis(sp?).

Brad
02-13-2006, 09:21 AM
Hypertrichosis (Rad was close ;)).

BM2
02-13-2006, 09:26 AM
As Ten Tigers has done so have I, not being able to back something up. After being called on it I have watched myself just a little bit now on here:rolleyes: though not enough. Just hope I don't make anyone who knows me cringe when reading what I type.
MK and others have been dismissed as just distractors. While at times we may all be guilty of that in some form or another there has certainly been statements or questions asked by him and others that have validity.
Someone (you know who) stated that even the Chen family village can trace their lineage back hundreds of years. I saw the stone tablet with their names at the Chen Family Museum and there were gaps where they placed dots for the unknown names in several places in their lineage. This should not be taken that it isn't as old or older or that Tai Chi originated anywhere else ( another nearby village has a similar style that also makes claims) but one of the best verifiable lineages has its gaps too.
I don't blindly follow anything, at least I hope not. I know next month that I will be learning something that is valid as well as what is to be taught next year. For me that is the point. Everything else is just a distraction.

Brad
02-13-2006, 09:28 AM
The condition is legit. I don't know how a scientist could tell from the two known pictures representing to be Su Kong whether he suffered from that condition.
It would probably be hard, but I'd imagine there'd be some sort of archive somewhere, or at least a way to trace the picture back to where it came from. At the very least, there should be some sort of expert that could give an approximate date of the photo based on the clothing style.

Ou Ji
02-13-2006, 09:37 AM
Judge Pen
That's how I remember (with your help) the last thread about this. Apparently nobody has found a copy of the referenced book to verify.

I'm not really the research type and not even interested enough but maybe someone can track it down through the publisher or the Guiness people.

Judge Pen
02-13-2006, 09:46 AM
Su Kong has been referenced educationally in the past for Hypertrichosis:

mcb.berkeley.edu/courses/mcb41/lecture_15.pdf

Not that it means anything in verifying his martial background, but it was in reference to the genetic condition itself.

GreenCloudCLF
02-13-2006, 10:24 AM
Sorry, don't know how I missed the post with the condition....didn;t have my morning tea I guess...

GreenCloudCLF
02-13-2006, 10:29 AM
UK statistics for Hypertrichosis:

http://www.wrongdiagnosis.com/h/hypertrichosis/stats.htm

wdl
02-13-2006, 02:41 PM
So here's the deal with this thread: Going where we've all gone before.

*yawn*

-Will

Judge Pen
02-13-2006, 03:11 PM
Some people like Merry-go-rounds. Others didn't hop on the first go round. Anyway, I think GreenCloudCLF was asking a legitimate question. . . .

Golden Tiger
02-14-2006, 05:53 AM
I like merry-go-rounds myself..:)

Judge Pen
02-14-2006, 06:53 AM
I like merry-go-rounds myself..:)

They provide some at-work entertainment.