PDA

View Full Version : Places to train all day with nice trainers..

wuqigong
02-12-2006, 02:13 PM
I'd like to know more places where you can train all day long, like 8-10 hours a day and learn anything about martial arts, taiji, shaolin, karate, trickz, anything.

All I know is:
Chen village (taiji in china)
Dengfeng (kungfu in shaolin temple)
Team ryouko (trickz in toronto)

Who knows other places?

Sekabin
02-12-2006, 07:07 PM
I suggest indoors. Or at least away from dust and dirt, and possibly bully schoolboys.

Sorry, probably only British English speakers will get that :D

WanderingMonk
02-12-2006, 07:24 PM
I'd like to know more places where you can train all day long, like 8-10 hours a day and learn anything about martial arts, taiji, shaolin, karate, trickz, anything.

All I know is:
Chen village (taiji in china)
Dengfeng (kungfu in shaolin temple)
Team ryouko (trickz in toronto)

Who knows other places?

May be you should contact them
http://www.laufamilyhunggar.com/our_school.htm

PaiLumDreamer
02-12-2006, 07:45 PM

...From that opening video it just looks like a tourist attraction.

Does anyone have any other information about that place? Are they teaching legit TMA?

From that video, and the way the site is set up, it doesnt seem that way. :(

SanHeChuan
02-12-2006, 08:11 PM
LAU KAR LEUNG
90% OF THE PEOPLE IN THE WORLD LEARNED Kung Fu because of watching a Lau Kar Leung Movie.

Hahaha, wow such blatant Bull****.:rolleyes:

Their kung fu looked good, and I want to build their 36 chambers in my back yard.

BUT, I do know how good of instruction you’re going to get. :o

yenhoi
02-12-2006, 08:19 PM
www.inosanto.com

:confused:

Mr Punch
02-12-2006, 08:37 PM
The Yoshinkan aikido headquarters in Tokyo still does the riot police course which is 4-5 hours a day. That's really really hard work. I used to work with two guys who were doing it and they were always beat... but...

if you have some extra energy in the afternoons you could always go to a koryu school or the Japanese BJJ school where you pay one fee for as much training as you like etc.

Mr Punch
02-12-2006, 08:41 PM
I suggest indoors. Or at least away from dust and dirt, and possibly bully schoolboys.HAHAhahahahahhhhh! LOL :D

You know I read that about two hours ago and I only just got it...:rolleyes:

Sorry, probably only British English speakers will get that :DI used to be a British English speaker... :( now it's more like Engrish! :o

Ben Gash
02-14-2006, 02:08 AM
Pai Lum dreamer, their kung fu is about as legit as you can get. They are very well regarded in Hung circles. I can't vouch for the training at the school, but Lama Pai Sifu has been there, and he's taking students there in the spring, so I'm assuming it must be OK.

Ben Gash
02-14-2006, 02:22 AM
I didn't see an opening video :( but on the video pages there's a couple of videos from one of there longer term visiting students, and the training certainly seems kosher http://www.laufamilyhunggar.com/es_films_video2.htm

monkeyfoot
02-14-2006, 05:46 AM
I suggest indoors. Or at least away from dust and dirt, and possibly bully schoolboys.

Sorry, probably only British English speakers will get tha

:D LMAO that brings back memories

Train in class 2wice/3rice a week and the just find a field. I personally prefere that if I am training for 8 hours it be on my own. I have a wicked 'tree enclosed' area in a little forest. Im beginning to create a whole area for training :D

craig

Laukarbo
12-05-2006, 05:55 AM
...From that opening video it just looks like a tourist attraction.

Does anyone have any other information about that place? Are they teaching legit TMA?

From that video, and the way the site is set up, it doesnt seem that way. :(

yeah Im a student of Mark Ho sifu..I train there regularly..if u want more infos pm me..

they teach Hung Gar ...what you see in the video thats not legit ?:confused:

David Jamieson
12-05-2006, 06:35 AM
um, when would you work to make money to pay for that? lol

BruceSteveRoy
12-05-2006, 07:02 AM

i have actually heard very good things about this place. its a good traditional school.

another thing you can try if you want to travel is frank yee's intensive hung ga training thing in taishan city.

http://yeeshungga.com/china/2006_intensive_prog_flyer.pdf

but its a lot of money to put down all at once. and i don't know what the place is like. actually if anyone has any knowledge of this program i would be very interested to learn more.

hope that helps,
~Steve

Laukarbo
12-05-2006, 07:12 AM
@David
well,I take it you refering to the prices...its understandable..... :)

BUT ....

lets see 1 week training at the school costs 500 USD ...hefty price (at the first look) indeed.
what you get:
-everyday training as much as you can
-accomodation at the school
-food/drinks at school
-you can pick a form (depending on your skills level a beginner could hardly learn tit sin kuen)
-daily training in the chambers (conditioning galore) dit da jow inc.

so lets say u train 6 hours a day, this times 7 ,thats 42 hours!

okay,another famous hung gar teacher in HK charges 50 USD the hour
so 42 hours with him would cost 2100 USD he prolly gives a discount so lets 2000USD...the hotel ,cheap one would be chungking mansions for 15 USD the day,so thats another 105 USD.

Food and drinks,its cheap in HK depents on what you prefer..you can eat and drink ok for 15 USD a day so another 105 USD...all together 2210 USD

for 1000 USD u can stay at the Lau Fam School for one month...(same conditions as 1 week)

the cheapest way is ,of course, to stay home..:D

peace:cool:

BruceSteveRoy
12-05-2006, 07:28 AM
* LAU KAR LEUNG
90% OF THE PEOPLE IN THE WORLD LEARNED Kung Fu because of watching a Lau Kar Leung Movie.*

its funny bc when i was a kid i saw 36th chamber and that is what made me want to study MA. still my favorite kung fu movie.

Laukarbo
12-05-2006, 07:35 AM
* LAU KAR LEUNG
90% OF THE PEOPLE IN THE WORLD LEARNED Kung Fu because of watching a Lau Kar Leung Movie.*

its funny bc when i was a kid i saw 36th chamber and that is what made me want to study MA. still my favorite kung fu movie.

same here:D , this is also still my favorite kung fu flick....this and Mad Monkey kung fu and martial club...:D :D

golden arhat
12-06-2006, 02:34 AM
my friend trains with mark houghton who is their top student and hes pretty hardcore

a bit cheesey but they look ok

Laukarbo
12-06-2006, 03:07 AM
my friend trains with mark houghton who is their top student and hes pretty hardcore

this gotta be Wayne?:D otherwise I have doubts your friend telling the truth..:D

golden arhat
12-06-2006, 04:00 AM
his name is kefai
hes half chinese and he runs a school over here in hereford

Laukarbo
12-06-2006, 04:11 AM
I never heard of kefai,but this doesnt mean anything.. he probably studied under Mark a long time ago? Also,his school cant be a Lau Family Hung Fist school ..
I would know it.
And top-students of Mark ,and my older kung fu brothers, are Wayne Husbands (he also runs a school in england) and Ken Li (china)and Bernard Chee Choy Lee(Malaysia) ...:)

sihing
12-06-2006, 05:01 AM
Sifu Gary Lam has full time cirriculums, plus you can stay at his place (where the training takes place), for like $10 a day. Morning classes are privates and evenings are open classes so you get 8 hours in if you want. Wing Chun thru the Wong Shun Leung line is what's taught, but Sifu Gary has his own take on things and is very very good as a teacher and fighter. It's Traditional training with a modern feel. Very good experience IMO, as I was there to experience it.

www.garylamwingchun.com , check out his site.

James

BruceSteveRoy
12-06-2006, 06:51 AM

are you saying your friend is Sifu Houghton's top student? or are you saying that sifu houghton is the lau family's top student? i think the wording of your sentence is unintentionally ambiguous. and it might clear up laukarbo's confusion. just putting that out there for clarity's sake.

Ben Gash
12-07-2006, 03:11 AM
The sentence could do with a couple of commas, and the only ambiguity in it is whether he means his friend or Mark Houghton is pretty hardcore. The syntax of the sentence makes Mark Houghton the Lau's top student, not his friend Mark Houghton's top student. You've gotten too used to reading broken english from people who don't read or write it very well (like US High School leavers ;) )
ANYWAY, for cheap residential training check out
http://www.damo-qigong.net/temple/wudang/workshop.htm
Their regular deal is pretty good value for money, and their student deal is even better.
A guy I know trains here http://www.shaolins.com/ for 6 months of every year.

Laukarbo
12-07-2006, 03:23 AM
The sentence could do with a couple of commas, and the only ambiguity in it is whether he means his friend or Mark Houghton is pretty hardcore. The syntax of the sentence makes Mark Houghton the Lau's top student, not his friend Mark Houghton's top student. You've gotten too used to reading broken english from people who don't read or write it very well (like US High School leavers ;) )

hehe...
to clear evrything,the poster meant his friend who runs a school in hereford.
Anyway I know this guy and he learned in the 80tys from Mark Houghton..Hes certainly a good guy but not Marks top student ...:D