PDA

View Full Version : Look up to the Stars

X-Warrior
02-13-2006, 07:25 PM
I was just reading some of my old Inside Kung Fu magazines and came across an article about Ken Lo in the Sept. 1996 issue. Ken Lo was a kickboxing champ of Hong Kong seven times in a row, later became Jackie Chan's personal body guard. Jackie Chan then invited him to play in a few movies, but I think he didn't really become famous.

Anyway, the article is an interview with Ken Lo and here is something funny he says: he eats two meals a day that way he gets all the nutrition but his stomach doesn't become 'expanded' - as he put it.

Now let me get something straight here. Let's say an active martial artist needs 4,000 calories per day. If I eat twice a day, I have to jam 2,000 calories worth of food into my stomach per meal, if I eat five times a day (three big meals and two snacks) I only need to put in maybe a 1,000 calories per meal (three times a day), and 500 calories twice for snacks. In my opinion, that is a lot less 'expanding' stress on my stomach. I think some people just don't really think about what they are saying, I have no clue how he came up with this conclusion.

Anyone, any comments?

-X-

Lohanhero
02-14-2006, 01:41 AM
but you are putting the thought he is taking 2,000 calories worth of food per serve, he might not be.

lots of people eat simply and are martial artists.

David Jamieson
02-14-2006, 06:22 AM
4000 calories a day is...well, a lot! even for a martial artist.

anyway, everyone's different and we don't all adhere to the same eating or training plans as each other and we also wind up with a wide range of results and extended paths in our training.

X-Warrior
02-14-2006, 07:34 AM
Hey, hey, hey, I just used these numbers as an example, but rather the concept is what I tried to focus on; sorry for the confusion. Just used those numbers to simplify calculations.

Anyway, the idea is if you try to stuff the same amount of food in twice a day, rather than distribute it into smaller portions throughout the day, you do get a bigger gut.

I just didn't get his idea. By they way he was a kickboxer so I'm sure he did need a ton of calories per day.

Another subject: anyone seen Jet Li has a new movie out in Asia called Fearless? Not sure when they're going to play it here in the US; anyone knows? The official website is at www.fearlessthemovie.com/ there are some pretty good clips to see.

-X-

David Jamieson
02-14-2006, 08:20 AM
Anyway, the idea is if you try to stuff the same amount of food in twice a day, rather than distribute it into smaller portions throughout the day, you do get a bigger gut.

I think there are a couple of factors here that are not mentioned.

1. Metabolism - If a person's metabolism is high, they will burn and store that food fast.

2. the kinds of calories being eaten, i.e is this good food or fatty food etc .

3. does the person use the calories almost right away.

It is said that to climb a mountain abouve 15,000 ft, you will probably require something in the area of 6000 cals a day just to keep going. There are a few reasons for this, one is lack of oxygen and pressure change at those heights, the other is that because of those two factors, your fatigue level races high and fast.

On the ground, oxygen is richer and the body will work at a regular pace. Some people slow burn their cals, others burn em fast and need more.

Some foods are total nutritional garbage, some are iffy and others such as natural vegetable, fruits, cereals, nuts and some dairy products as well as meats are good and burn efficiently within you.

There are no hard and fast rules to eating or diet. There are guidelines, but these are developed from the personal needs of the person who is training and aggregate data compared against same body types and activities.

as we can see with the huge helpings of diet knowledge that goes down the toilet within a year or two, it is safe to assume that nobody has the correct oin eating and exercising just yet. At least, not as far as figuring out what's good for everyone.

X-Warrior
02-15-2006, 07:51 AM
I know David but you are changing other variables here. We are talking about the SAME person with the same workout habits eating the SAME food, and ONLY changing the eating habit.

Let's say the SAME person needs to cosume four punds of the SAME food each and every day to get his necessary calories. If you devide that SAME food into two portions, you have to stuff it in in two punds portions twice per day. If you distribute it according to my scenerio (again for the SAME person with the same metabolism) you only put in a pund at the most. This places only half the stress on your stomach at one time. By the way, this is the same reason why pregnant women eat small portions but frequently, that way they don't place stress on themselves and the fetus.

'1. Metabolism - If a person's metabolism is high, they will burn and store that food fast.'
- Correct but initially you still have to stretch your stomach to make palce for half your daily portion (2 punds in our example) and that is what stretches your stomach out.

'2. the kinds of calories being eaten, i.e is this good food or fatty food etc .
- We are not changing calories or type of food eaten, using the same food with the same energy values consumed by the same person.

'3. does the person use the calories almost right away.'
- Same as point #1, you still need to stuff in the 2 punds regardless how fast you consume it afterwards. The stress is placed at the time of consumption - your stomach will have to stretch to make place for 2 punds vs. 1 pund of food. That is half the stretching needed. I know what you're thinking about here, you're looking at 'for how long' is that stress placed and that is also important.

Anyway, I think we are getting hang up too much on a small thing. It just didn't make any sense to me, and it still doesn't. I still prefer smaller portions eaten more frequently and I do have a very flat stomach.

So anyone has any comments on the new Jet Li movie? Anyone knows when they'll play it in the US?

-X-