PDA

View Full Version : Greetings and Salivations...

Clyde the Glide
10-21-2001, 04:23 PM
Just wanted to take a moment and say howdy. Been hear for a while know just reading other posts and hanging out like a hair in a biscuit. Hope to get a chance to interact with some of the people here. Let me say up front, I am a grappler. Though I have dabbled in other areas, grappling is my first love. That being said, I have always been fascinated by CMA, and hope to learn a little more while I am here. If that does not work, then maybe I can just start trolling; but then you guys already know that grappling rules. (This is a joke for the sarcastically impaired) I am eager to learn anything that can help me in my training and make me a better fighter/student/artist/etc... So hello one and all, it is so ver nice to meet you.

Clydeus Maximus: Mutt-fu Grand Master and Dominator of Cocky Teenagers in my youth group.

Badger
10-21-2001, 04:58 PM
Greetings Man & lots of Saliva !

I hear that constant playing of Street Fighter II will improve your striking skills. ;)

Badger

"When life hands you a blank, load it anyway and act real intimidating."--Unknown lˇ

T

Spark
10-21-2001, 05:32 PM
Hello and may I drool on you too! :D

Air Force One
10-21-2001, 05:45 PM
Why is it that when someone comes here introducing themselves like "Hi, my name is Ted and I have been reading the posts for a long time and I decided to sign on and learn about martial arts" that they are always grapplers? Hmmmmmm.

Clyde the Glide
10-21-2001, 05:47 PM
Actually, having mastered Street Fighter II and Street Fighter II Turbo, I have moved on to Tekken II. I have established my dominance in this arena as well, but have not yet made the leap to Tekken III. I have considered trying the Tekken Tag Tournament for training against multiple attackers. I also must list in my amazing credentials the fact that I have currently won more than a dozen 8 man tournaments in UFC: Tapout for the playstation.

On a serious note, I am recovering from some kinf of flu bug, and tonight is the night I teach grappling at my church. Although I am no longer sick or contagious, I am still pretty weak. I must show no fear though, as those teenagers smell it like wild animals. Fortunately, as we all know, highly developed grappling relies not on strength, but on skill and technique. Now if I could just find a highly skilled grappler to do my class tonigh.... :D

Clydeus Maximus: Mutt-fu Grand Master and Dominator of Cocky Teenagers in my youth group.

Badger
10-21-2001, 05:54 PM
What style of grappling do you do?

Badger

"When life hands you a blank, load it anyway and act real intimidating."--Unknown l

Clyde the Glide
10-21-2001, 05:55 PM
Not sure, though I said I wanted to learn a little more about Chinese Martial arts, as they have always fascinated me. I am well acquainted with other types of martial arts. Please understand that I am, in no way, suggesting that CMA's are actually useful or offer anything worthwhile in practical training (again, this is humor captioned for the sarcasm impaired). I just want the opportunity to share with others. For instance, as a grappler, I would probably enjoy Shuai Jiao (Is that spelled correctly?). Also, I have read a few books on chin-na and enjoyed them. I find that small joint manipulation and pressure points serve me mainly in creating distractions and openings in my opponents defense (or offense), but do not see them as absolute fight/match stoppers. Of course, in a sparring situation I am not going to methodically break everyone of my opponents fingers. ;) However, there are those here who have a much more in depth understanding of these things. It is from these that I hope to learn. As expected, I would not come here seeking instruction in the scarf hold, four corners hold, cross body, or knee on stomach; but I feel there is much I can glean from here.

Ryu
10-21-2001, 06:00 PM
Welcome aboard.

I'm also a grappler (Judoka mostly) but have spent time in BJJ as well. This is a pretty decent board. I enjoy just about everyone here.
They've treated me always with respect and kindness, so I hope I can show it to them as well.

Are you studying BJJ, shooto, judo, etc?
What syle of grappling do you do?

Ryu

http://judoinfo.com/images/kimuraosawa.jpg

"One who takes pride in shallow knowledge or understanding is like a monkey who delights in adorning itself with garbage."

Clyde the Glide
10-21-2001, 06:01 PM
I am truly a mutt. I wrestled in high school, and then made the transition to Judo in college. I spent a little more than 4 years in Judo at the University of TN. After that, I was able to take some time working in traditional Japanese Jiu Jitsu, and then recently had the fortune of working with a gentleman on campus how had spent some time with the Gracies. I occassionally get the chance to take a private lesson with people in my area, and then I have the usual vast area of books and tapes, etc... What I do at the church is offer an introductory/basic grappling class. I began with teaching them proper break falls and mobility drills, then I call on my experience in each area (limited though it is) and work all areas from takedowns to submissions. We really do a lot of learning together to from experimenting, watching instructional tapes, competition tapes, tapes of each other, etc... There is a great sense of fellowship in our little group. Everyone wants to learn and to help, and egos are left at the door.

Clyde the Glide
10-21-2001, 06:06 PM
I have enjoyed many of your posts. Right now, between having 2 babies (16 months and 2.5 years old) a full time job, and working as a youth pastor; I have no time (or $$) to commit to a school. My schedule and budget do not allow it. When I have the chance I will try to get in a private lesson or get to a seminar. This group I have going is great for me to at least keep my skill level from dropping off. It is a group of people willing to work together and learn from each other. It atleast keeps the rust off of me, and as I spend a large portion of my time at our church anyway, there is little or no schedule conflict. We each chip in $10 per month if we have it to cover costs for mats, training materials, etc... It has worked well so far.

Badger
10-21-2001, 06:06 PM
Thats cool, the church group thing sounds like a good idea.

Badger

"When life hands you a blank, load it anyway and act real intimidating."--Unknown l

Kaitain(UK)
10-21-2001, 06:07 PM
'I enjoy just about everyone here'?

I find that a worrying statement :)

"If ignorance is bliss, why aren't more people happy?"

KC Elbows
10-21-2001, 06:17 PM
Its true. Fortunately, most of us don't remember, as he plies us with hard liquor first. :D

Kaitain(UK)
10-21-2001, 06:27 PM
I remember now, the drink, the music, the dancing

"Just a coffee" he said! I was using tampons for a week afterwards!

Well, the truth is out now - **** you Ryu and your wiley charms

KC Elbows
10-21-2001, 06:29 PM
Hey, at least you got to dance. Macarena, my arse(literaly)! :eek:

Badger
10-21-2001, 06:33 PM
Man! another decent thread gone all wrong!

Badger

Kaitain(UK)
10-21-2001, 06:33 PM
it was the conga, which Ryu said is traditonally done naked... he insisted I was at the front

it's all a blur after that

Badger
10-21-2001, 06:35 PM
Goodnight Everybody!!!
;)

Badger

Kaitain(UK)
10-21-2001, 06:36 PM
the truth must come out - we've been ruthlessly used and abused by this individual. Stop repressing the memory and realise that acknowledging the injury is the first step in healing it

Badger
10-21-2001, 06:40 PM
:D

Badger

KC Elbows
10-21-2001, 06:59 PM
Oh, forgot to say hello to clyde. Hello, welcome aboard, and watch out for those mai tai's ryu makes.

I'm not bitter, I just wish Ryu would return my calls! ;)

Clyde the Glide
10-21-2001, 07:00 PM
So are you guys saying I should be cautious if Ryu starts talking about training the rear naked technique?

You guys are really harsh. :) But thanks for the welcome. Hopefully I can contribute something besides a hijacked thread concerning ****sexual tendencies in the future. :p

Kaitain(UK)
10-21-2001, 07:06 PM
rear naked choke is ok - it's when he wants to 'practice submission'

hello btw

Chang Style Novice
10-21-2001, 07:08 PM
If all your threads go like this, we'll have to start calling you "Clyde the Astro-glide."

Ewwwwww...

I'd like to apologize for that, and welcome you to the forum.

KC Elbows
10-21-2001, 07:09 PM
You mean its possible to contribute something other than a hijacked thread concerning ****sexual tendencies? Thanks Clyde, things were going soooo well, and then you come along with your high standards and your on-the-topic behavior. I suppose next your going to tell me that I need to take down the picture I made of GeneChing's head on Michelle Yeoh's body. :(

Clyde the Glide
10-21-2001, 07:12 PM
Sorry, did not mean to go against accepted forum ettiquette. From now on it will be strictly off-topic ****sexual comments. I just want to fit in, er uhm, blend in; I think........

KC Elbows
10-21-2001, 07:16 PM
Geez, that was close. Don't worry, Gene Yeoh, our love can continue...

Chang Style Novice
10-21-2001, 07:16 PM
You don't have to reregister. You can edit your profile, including your name by clicking preferences. For a day or two I was "Grand Ultimate Silk Pajamas," as an example.

(obligitory lewd comment)

Ryu
10-21-2001, 07:19 PM
LOL!
Well there's no real way to be in a bad mood now!

You guys all know you liked it!
Admit it!

Ryu

"One who takes pride in shallow knowledge or understanding is like a monkey who delights in adorning itself with garbage."

KC Elbows
10-21-2001, 07:23 PM
I must say, Clyde, this is one of the funnest "Hello everyone" posts I've taken part in. Gene Yeoh says he likes it too.

..and Ryu, I've been kicked out of four bjj schools trying to use the "sprawl" you showed me. ;)

Ryu
10-21-2001, 07:26 PM
Keep trying, you have to "wiggle" I told you.

LOL, Okay I'm gonna stop posting on this thread, and NOW :D

By the way, your Gene Yeoh stuff is killing me!

KC Elbows
10-21-2001, 07:38 PM
There's nothing wrong with my wiggle!!! :D

Now Clyde, pay no attention to these less mature forum members. They hound me day and night, ruining the serious and scholarly tone I single-handedly bring to this forum. I look forward to hearing your take on grappling, fighting, and life in general. Between you and I, I feel we can make this forum a better place where decent people can....

Hey! Stop looking at my Gene Yoeh!
I can't trust any of you guys. You're all after my Gene Yoeh. :(

Ryu
10-21-2001, 07:40 PM
I aint gonna stop looking until you leave my
Bruce Miao alone!!!!

(now I'm grossing myself out :D )

Ryu

KC Elbows
10-21-2001, 07:45 PM
I hate to tell you this Ryu, but this is what friends do:

I think I saw your Bruce Miao out last night with Sifu Abel's Britanny NoKnow. I'm sorry, these things can be so hard.

Ryu
10-21-2001, 07:48 PM
It's not true!!!! He said he was just rehearsing a movie script with a friend!!!! :(

Ryu
10-21-2001, 07:50 PM
LMAO,
it's been fun, but I have to get to some classes haha :D

Ryu

GunnedDownAtrocity
10-21-2001, 08:57 PM
i didn't get no coffee or nothin ....

he just said "C'MERE B!TCH" and i'd rather not talk about the rest.

where's my beer?

GunnedDownAtrocity
10-21-2001, 08:57 PM
at least severstar cuddles afterwards.

where's my beer?

Clyde the Glide
10-21-2001, 09:16 PM
This is as bad as the Other Ground. What a bunch of sickos and perverts. :eek:

Badger
10-21-2001, 09:24 PM
This was a fine upstanding forum until you put up this trashy thread.
You should be ashamed of yourself!

Badger

KC Elbows
10-21-2001, 09:28 PM
Yeah, Clyde, ya sick, sick man! Shame on you! :D

nightair
10-21-2001, 09:38 PM
Greetings..and salivations to you to. :)

DOH!!