PDA

View Full Version : Transition between the brandches of Hsing-i

Stranger
03-15-2001, 06:11 AM
Do you believe that the study of one style of Hsing-i (ie. Honan, Hebei, Shanxi) would aid in your learning of one of the other branches? How different are they? Does one of these branches blend more smoothly with training in the other internal arts?
Thanks in advance.

bean curd
03-15-2001, 02:45 PM
in the scheme of things to learn one xing yi, would not be detrimental to learning another.

i have been taught two xing yi, hebei and shaanxi.

there are differences in body mechanics, different movements of the animals or weight ratio difference, but the intention of the elements and animals are the same.

it would be like using a spear that has length difference, yet the spear head is the same.

the length of coarse will dictate a variation of usage but both are still spears.

TheBigToad
03-15-2001, 05:27 PM
Like mentioned above, the elements or best described as the intention behind each quality relating to the 5 phases(Metal/Splitting, Warter/Drilling, etc) in the spectrum of Xingyiquan has somewhat a set standard. The only real difrences lay in the Animals (My Xinyiquan as sometimes up to 4 variations of each animal form) and the weight ratio between the feet.
-Kevin

Kevin Wallbridge
03-17-2001, 03:08 AM
Xinyi Liuhe Quan (Henan style) is quite a bit different from the 5 element/12 animal styles. Animals are trained first, and the animals are much more free than any I've seen in 12 animal styles. Forms are trained last, and improvisation on the themes is encouraged.

"The heart of the study of boxing is to have natural instinct resemble the dragon" Wang Xiangzai