PDA

View Full Version : nice clip of ShiDeJain

bruceleroy/WFH
02-14-2006, 02:51 PM
shaolin applications by a monk supposedly finally.... this was shown to the shaolinwolf forum as well,but they thought downly of the clip....ENJOY

http://www.youtube.com/w/Shi-DeJian?v=mHJfUTm-fw8&search=shaolin

tell me what ya think?:D

Mortal1
02-14-2006, 03:07 PM
Those apps could get you killed. :p

Pk_StyLeZ
02-15-2006, 06:54 PM
that is awesome
i wish i had reaction skills like that
is he doing monkey style?
kinda look like monkey?

David Jamieson
02-16-2006, 10:29 AM
Stepping on your opponents feet is actually a pretty good move. I've used it with some success in free sparring. It immediately begates any footwork defense and opens a gate or two to the attacker.

I think many of those apps are pretty good. It is much easier to see them in teh context with which they are shown. Results would differ if the opponent was fully resisting and what not, but that doesn't negate the validity of them on that supposition.

GeneChing
02-16-2006, 10:36 AM
I was really lucky to be able to interveiw Dejian in 2003 (we ran the story later) (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/magazine/article.php?article=590). He's a special one. What is that video from? The subtitles make me think it's some documentary (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=36328).

If I had to pin those applications to a particular form, I'd have to say qixing.

Pk_StyLeZ
02-16-2006, 01:22 PM
u know what gene..after looking at the video again..i do see some qi xing in there...when you sa qi xing you are referring to seven star right?
but also..i learned some of the applications to qixing form before with one of the shaolin monks here in houston...and a lot of those applications on the videos never learned(i also understand there is 2190381+ ways to interepret a form and one application).....and what really gets me is the way he jumps around side to side, it really look like a monkey so yeah
and i also dont remember any butt attacks in the form either..lol so yeah
the beginning of the video i can see some qixing in there, but from the 1/4 and on i see a lot of monkey lolz
i guess it also because of the way he laughs, since monkey remind me of giggly happy person.

Mortal1
02-16-2006, 02:23 PM
That is just a dingbu stance when he jumps to the side. Common in all shaolin forms. I personally am not impressed with his apps. There is no sturcture or theory to it. What if he jumps to the side to avoid a feint punch and then when he is down there you kick his face in? Apps only make sense when they put you in a position of superioirty. Many of those apps put him in a bad position and only have one strike. That usually doesn't get the job done. I have seen people eat a perfect haymaker right down the pipe pick a guy up slam him and stomp him.
Amother question is when to use each one of these apps. That is the most important thing. In shaolin I have yet to be told when to use each app. So the answer when someone throws a punch is to duck into dingbu? Pretty ridiculuos if you ask me.

Songshan
02-16-2006, 02:55 PM
I think some of us have heard that almost famous "giggle" before we ended up on our back!! Nice Video :D

David Jamieson
02-16-2006, 06:41 PM
I think he got the hip and shoulder checks from watching canadian hockey. :D

Those types of moves have a proven track record on the ice. :p

Pk_StyLeZ
02-16-2006, 08:29 PM
That is just a dingbu stance when he jumps to the side. Common in all shaolin forms. I personally am not impressed with his apps. There is no sturcture or theory to it. What if he jumps to the side to avoid a feint punch and then when he is down there you kick his face in? Apps only make sense when they put you in a position of superioirty. Many of those apps put him in a bad position and only have one strike. That usually doesn't get the job done. I have seen people eat a perfect haymaker right down the pipe pick a guy up slam him and stomp him.
Amother question is when to use each one of these apps. That is the most important thing. In shaolin I have yet to be told when to use each app. So the answer when someone throws a punch is to duck into dingbu? Pretty ridiculuos if you ask me.

yeah i know stance it is
but look at the way he jumps. just like the way you jump in monkey style
lolz
there are many things you can do when someone throw a punch obviously. and obviously he was just showing some technique. and doesnt mean its neccesary the best technique to use either. but he was just showing different applications that shaolin has. (that what i think and form what i see)(probably was just showing some of the *tradtional* ways of fighting)
shaolin never tell you when to use each apps, because that is for you to figure out. that is the fun part of shaolin. when you learn and understand WHEN and HOW to use each applications, you know you are advancing and improving. =)

o and tehcniqually that isnt dingbu stance, dingbu stance is when the legs are together and the you are pretty balled up, standing one foot and your other foot on the toes. that stance(shown in the video) is some stance from qixing chang.
i

rickyscaggs
02-16-2006, 08:34 PM
How are you supposed to apply them if you've only been shown what they are but not how to use them. At least in the beginners stage you should be taught that. Otherwise I'd guess the teacher doesn't know how to use his style in fighting. The fun part is having a teacher not teach you and you have to guess things and find out for yourself? Why not quit Shaolin and make your own style if that's the way you're taught?

Pk_StyLeZ
02-16-2006, 08:43 PM
i figured out a lot of applications without my teacher showing me what they are?
i mean i might not be able to use it in a fight. but if we do it in slow motion, i can apply it. lolz
but its possible, just gotta do the form a lot, slow it down, do it fast, break it down, and it will come to you. =)
that is why it is called KUNG FU
hard work

richard sloan
02-16-2006, 11:20 PM
one thing I liked about the vid was the foot plants. now you know why there are all the foot "stomps" sometimes not stomps at all but they keep your man right in line for the attack.

i've used that on quite a few drunks I've needed to move along.

one thing I did not think were so great were some of dejian's kicks and some of the strikes, I think this was just a couple of guys kind of goofing around a bit but I have seen some monks really use the six harmonies, well, the three physical ones and that usually requires a lot of extension.

could have been more resistance between the two.

de jian could afford to cut out of line and attack, he wasn't in danger of a second attack or set up as they were pretty much goofing along the you do this I do that and badabing bada boom.

Brad
02-17-2006, 08:55 AM
Yeah, looked kind of relaxed and goofy... maybe just messing around for the camera... A couple times Shi De Jian did shock me with his quickness though, and I think he looks pretty strong too :eek:

Mortal1
02-17-2006, 09:34 AM
I agree with Rich the foot stomps are very usefull.

I use them all the time in sparring. But as far as figuring apps out on your own. That is just ridiculus. That is what teachers are for. Since the younger generations of "monks" is just focusing on taolu the apps aren't even tauhgt and are slowy but surely dissapearing from the forms.

Kungfu is called hard work but you need to be taught what type of work to do. You aren't suppossed to be figuring things out things for yourself. Just invent your own system for that matter.

Also that is no where near monkey on any level. Seven star maybe. Shaolin monkey style is imitative boxing without much application.

I strongly suggest seeking out an insturctor that actually teaches real fighting. Then you will see why those apps are beyond ridiculus.

David Jamieson
02-17-2006, 10:42 AM
Sorry, it is incorrect to assume that you should not attempt to find applications on your own. In fact it is standard practice in many traditional teaching formats to allow discovery to the student so that the process of achieving kungfu is real as opposed to spoon fed.

teachers offer keys, you open the door yourself.

Every ma teacher I've had has encourage me to find applications besides those which have been shown. Occaisionally, the teacher will provide guidance on some of the applications that perhaps you didn't think of. There are definitely multiple applications to any given motion in martial art because it is dependent upon your position in a confrontation.

WOW
02-17-2006, 11:55 AM
wow!

I used to think foot stomp was good and used it in training, but my sifu said I was too slow and gave up groud!

You got to start somewhere with applications. Most techniques will have a variety of applications and generally basic ones are taught at the beginning until the student has reached a level of proficiency where more advance apps can be applied.

rickyscaggs
02-17-2006, 02:26 PM
If I were to study a foreign language and my teacher only taught me how to pronounce words and phrases and maybe a couple sentences, I wouldn't really be learning the language. I'd need to learn what those words mean and learn grammar as well. Am I supposed to figure out what the words mean and guess how to use them the best I can? What kind of teacher is that? I know how the language sounds but I have no clue on how to hold a conversation with it because I was told to figure it out on my own. I could show off my pronunciation skills which may get very good. But when it came to a situation where I had to use this language in a conversation with someone, I'd be totally embarrassed.

Time to find a new teacher who knows how to TEACH.

GeneChing
02-17-2006, 04:35 PM
I ask every teacher I train under how to use such and such. They've always told me, including the monks. Actually, most of the monks just thumped me with it. After a while, I stopped asking and starting looking more, so I wouldn't get thumped so often. Now I only ask if I really can't see the app in a form. But usually, I can now. I find my own apps too, mostly becuase I'm not fast/agile/powerful enough to make all the apps work verbatim to the masters' execution. I've got a quirky physique, so I got to modify stuff to fit.

As for Dejian's apps, it's pretty harsh to judge him based on a short video. I'm still curious about where that video came from. And I think there's some decent stuff in that video. Sure, it's playful, but we can't all practice like steroided MMA guys all the time. The critics here just want to bash Shaolin. FWIW, the monks do tend to laugh after they've thumped you. I'm not sure why that is. It's a playful laugh usually, not an evil maniacal bwahahaha kind of laugh (although I'm generalizing here - I've heard a few evil monk laughs too).

bruceleroy/WFH
02-17-2006, 06:21 PM
to me,what the monk ShiDeJain was showing was just different techinques on one simple attack........but if you look closely,the opponent is actually not using the same moves over and ove,plus do you even now how many techinques this monk probably knows,too many so he just picked some out of his head and you are not happy,people can be very judgemental...also since i got this from my other forum i am going to post what i put on there.......:

Well,at first i started to view the point of angel where as the fighting applications were "unrealistic" which is quite true....BUT,when you point out that the monks parries or ducks are misleading and don't work,i think your quite wrong because angel says is he was to duck that way,i could easily throw a low kick to the face,.....WRONG,because of the speed of the shaolin monk,you think he is gonna throw a low kick that fast....no,by the time you re-track your arm back and get ready to throw out the kick,it would be too,too late b/c first you would be off balance,second,the monk seems "handy" or pretty quick so the duck or the monks evading would be over and he would be already in normal fighting position again.

ALso,some of the techinques look simple such as the first chi-na or "seize and control" techinque he did,but see those techinques are the ones that work best,simple and easy and those are the one people commonly demostrate because they are the best to use in almost any demostration or position.

And then when the monk ducks the punch during the second techinque he demostrates seem unrealistic but to me its not...One simple thing the monk did before he blocked the incoming punch,he parried to the side slightly so that he could set up the block with his hand,when he parries underneath the other incoming punch and plants his foot on the opponents side....So,when he "swong" his arm underneath the punch to the back/side of the opponents head,he could easily take him down by pushing his head on the wrong side of his body alinment and where his head goes,his body will do the same causeing him to quickly trip of the monks planted leg and topple or fall over it...

And to add,some of the punches peformed or thrown by the opponent or "foreigner" made it very hard for him to counter-attack with a low kick,almost impossible[plus,when really fighting,trust me,the monks hands would not be planted at his side like they were in the beginning of the film]To me,that was like 4% of what a real master of gong fu is capable of doing,and that was just a "demo

Pk_StyLeZ
02-17-2006, 07:28 PM
ok please dont compare kung fu to learnign a new langauge..totally different....

maybe in the modern monkey form you see the *monks* perform now has no application, but im pretty sure the traditional has applications in it. and from what i see, he look like he is fighting *traditional way*

that one moves he does, jumping aside..and then swing his arm back..the application he does before the first *foot stepping*..that really reminds me of monkey and look like a monkey
and also..the BUTT attack..lolz

im not going to argue anymore about learning your own application or not, everyone has their own opinion. and i shared mines =) agreed or not i can care less =)

rickyscaggs
02-17-2006, 08:52 PM
I wasn't speaking about this particular monk and his teaching. I don't know what he teaches. I'm talking about those who say you should find your own stuff without the teacher teaching you. At least in the beginning stage you NEED it. Maybe after that you can find your own but when you start to reach a higher level you will again NEED a higher level teacher show you how to do things and how they work or don't work. Otherwise you're not learning your style.

Don't compare learning a new language to learning martial arts? Why not? First of all, it's the point I'm trying to make. You were unable to pick that out of the analogy just like poor martial arts teaching. You can't just pull things out your bum or you're not learning how to use your style, but learning an skeleton of a martial art and making up your own way to use it.

:eek:

rickyscaggs
02-17-2006, 08:58 PM
Gene

The critics here just want to bash Shaolin? That's retarded. The critics here want to point out what poor teaching and training is. We weren't speaking specifically about anyone or any style. If someone points out a bad thing that's not bashing. If I say Shaolin is full of poor teachers and crap applications or no applications at all because you have to make them up yourself, then I'm probably bashing Shaolin. I'm speaking in general.

richard sloan
02-18-2006, 09:40 PM
anyone will tell you the best way to learn a language is naturally, without text books and rote memorization lessons, vocabulary developes along conceptual lines as opposed to being compiled in lists and that is why there is usually big differences from those who learn language as a native speaker and those who are textbook.

in martial arts both methods are employed. if you just expect to learn by rote, with everything spoon fed you, you will suck, especially since nothing in a fight is necessarily rote. I've personally known a lot of ma's who have had their rote ass handed to them in a handbasket. personally, coming from that background, I prefer to ditch the scripts.

if I had to say there was anything unrealistic about this exchange it would be to say there was no resistance and it is relatively easy to deal with one thrown punch, successive attacks tend to repudiate application training, which is why some monks say that they just knock you out, despite your silly tricks. that is because, especially amongst experienced or knowledgeable ma's, applications are like cat and mouse games.

particular to shaolin I would say they do not feel you need to know anything at all in the beginning, especially not applications, and neither forms- no where near the very beginning at all. what they feel you need are basics, endless, endless basics- strengthening, quick muscle building, stretching, and conditioning basics. Many of the basics don't even have martial application which I think also contributes to many of the 'it's just wushu" comments.

I was told, right before being whacked with a staff and chuckled at, that it takes 3-5 yrs of hard, daily practice of basics before you are even really ready for anything serious. I'd hazard to say, when you are talking to people who grew up splitting their knuckles open just to make fists in the winter, that our ideas of training are basically a joke.

now that may suck, but that is the way it is.

you don't "make up" the applications, but many would say they reveal themselves, others require guidance of instructors.

the problem with many students in shaolin is they can not stand to endure 3-5 years of just simple basics.

pk, nice picking up on the step as opposed to stomp. the step plants your opponent.

WanderingMonk
02-19-2006, 08:54 AM
As for Dejian's apps, it's pretty harsh to judge him based on a short video. I'm still curious about where that video came from.

unless I am mistaken, I remember you posting a reply on the board saying that you will have the 3 part dejian documentary ready for a friend when he drop by your office (this was a while back).

These clips of him playing with the westerner demoing his app came straight from that three part tv documentary produced by CCTV. I remember that segment of tv documentary (the whole series was twenty five episodes) won some kind of prize at Italy.

Shaolinlueb
02-19-2006, 11:36 AM
those were pretty good. sure at the end it left him "open" but he wasnt continueing on with the move. he is fast too. looks like he was just toying with the westerner too.

GeneChing
02-20-2006, 10:45 AM
YouKnowWho: Those are fine questions, but if a student came to me with all that right after I showed him or her something, I'd probably just smile and walk away. Ok, actually, my reaction would depend on the student's level. If it was a new concept and the student asking couldn't grasp it at all, then I'd probably back track to something less difficult and write off those comments off to some one trying to cover lack of skill with questions. If it was someone that could emulate the move fairly quickly, then we'd move on to counters and training equipment. If they can't get the initial move, there's no use moving on to counters. Of course, I'm speaking very generally about pedagogical methods and no where are those written in stone. The character of the student determines everything. I would teach applications before form to someone who only wants to learn how to fight. I would teach form before applications to anyone else.

WanderingMonk: Hmm, I have seen that but I don't remember that scene. Perhaps I don't have all three episodes. Perhaps I just got hit in the head really hard and that synaptic path was severed. I've seen way too many Shaolin documentaries. They're all blending together. I'll have to dig that one out a look at it again when I get the chance...

rickyscaggs: Retarded, eh? I know you are but what am I? :p

jmd161
09-02-2006, 06:37 PM
Monk seems to know his techniques, a lil Shaolin monkey perhaps?

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-2081264493779407503&q=kung+fu

Is this that documentry where the guy travels and trains at shaolin 6 months a yr? I think I saw part of this on the discovery channel before.

jeff:)

Faruq
09-02-2006, 07:23 PM
The guy should enter Pride or the UFC. Finally TMC would be vindicated.

jmd161
09-02-2006, 07:25 PM
The guy should enter Pride or the UFC. Finally TMC would be vindicated.

What's TMC?

Jeff:)

TenTigers
09-02-2006, 08:36 PM
what exactly is pwned. I have used the term owned, why the p?

ChoyLeeFat
09-02-2006, 08:57 PM
pwned is just "owned"...ppl typed too fast and accidentally hit the "p" key instead of the "o" key...so owned just becamed pwned

SifuAbel
09-02-2006, 09:07 PM
Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooo

That came from an old japanese video game port ["Zero Wing (http://www.classicgaming.com/rotw/zerowing/)" 1989]that had some guy write it from his english from one summer in Ney York.

"all you bases are belong to us"

Zero Wing (http://www.classicgaming.com/rotw/zerowing/)

David Jamieson
09-02-2006, 09:56 PM
Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooo

That came from an old japanese video game port that had some guy write it from his english from one summer in Ney York.

"all you bases belong to us"

"all your base are belong to us"
"send up the bomb"

...good times :p

lunghushan
09-03-2006, 12:04 AM
Could be monkey, who knows. It is very strange.

Does anybody else think the Shaolin martial arts from the PRC just seem wrong?

I don't know what's more disturbing that weird chin-na move or the fact that the guy seemed to have no clue how to get out of it.

David Jamieson
09-03-2006, 06:17 AM
Im not certain this is a good demonstration. For one thing, the "target" is a complete tard in his reactions and doesn't ever represent any real threat. he's slow, he doesn't have intent and there is no purpose in his movement.

the monk makes too many precursory motions which are as far as I'm concerned, a waste of time and energy.

In attacking or counterattacking it is important to be direct and to the point with intent and purpose.

Too fancy shmancy. He could tighten that up a lot and wind up with something much more effective in my opinion and he should stop training on inept sacks of rice. :p

Yao Sing
09-03-2006, 07:29 AM
"all your base are belong to us"
"send up the bomb"

...good times :p

All Your Base (http://rmitz.org/AYB3.swf)

David Jamieson
09-03-2006, 09:17 AM
lol.

yeah sorry, it's "somebody set us up the bomb"

again...good times. :D

lunghushan
09-03-2006, 10:26 AM
Well the thing is, the monk leaves himself open on just about every technique. He's relying more on speed and surprise, rather than good technique.

Actually the back to the head ones aren't bad. I guess it's not too bad, just seems to be done weirdly.

jmd161
09-03-2006, 11:55 AM
Don't get me wrong!

I wasn't saying he was great, I was just saying he seemed to know a bit about actual techniques. That's a bit of surprise for the obvious Wu Shu they learn there. But I heard somewhere they were starting to learn some applications also...

jeff:)

Chief Fox
09-03-2006, 02:40 PM
So many techniques/applications begin with an initial block or capture of the right punch. I would like to see more techniques that start by defending against a front snap or round house kick.

Good stuff though. It really shows that when you attack, you open yourself up.

Thanks for the link.

GunnedDownAtrocity
02-04-2011, 10:06 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9TajusIENTs

Shaolin
02-05-2011, 08:46 AM
Old but still a worthy post.

GunnedDownAtrocity
02-05-2011, 02:39 PM
i dont remember posting that . . .

bawang
02-05-2011, 05:22 PM
master shi de yang knocking out a challenger at songshan temple

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sLsqEL8TFwM

GunnedDownAtrocity
02-05-2011, 09:22 PM
that is one of my favorite videos of all time.

GunnedDownAtrocity
02-05-2011, 09:23 PM
Old but still a worthy post.

worthy how? funny worthy?

wenshu
02-05-2011, 09:40 PM
master shi de yang knocking out a challenger at songshan temple

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sLsqEL8TFwM

I'd hit it.