PDA

View Full Version : pavel and low reps

GunnedDownAtrocity
02-16-2006, 11:26 PM
before i had my lil problem a couple years back pavel was all the rage around here, but lately i've caught a few mentions here and there of the disadvantages of low rep work outs over time. something along the lines of it destroying any muscular endurance.

i have been lifting again for several months now and have been thinking about going that route to mix things up a bit. ill still be doing body weight exercises and jujitsu for endurance so would that be alright or are there still other things to watch out for?

n.mitch
02-17-2006, 01:00 AM
I think if you just want muscle size( because your ma training takes care of your cardio then low reps with heavy weights has to work best, the big pros use that method eg. ronnie coleman, dorian yates. who have been the biggest over the last 14 years ,they must be on to something, yates used mike menzter method of one set to failure which normally meant 8 reps per exercises with 1 light warm up set,abs he did higher reps.
Even thought those guys are on the juice, Skip la cour uses the same method and he is natural. the only thing is those guts do one body part per week.

GreenCloudCLF
02-17-2006, 06:04 AM
GDA,

First, let it be known I am a personal trainer, so my advice is going to cost you.:D

As long as you are getting cardio and endurance training going, using heavy weight/light reps, is the easiest way to build strength and size. All routines should be based on your goals obviously.

I am a hard gainer, so I lift heavy weights, trying to increase me size and strength, but once I hit a point I am happy with, my goal changes to maintence of what I have.

So what are you fitness goals?

SevenStar
03-03-2006, 11:47 AM
before i had my lil problem a couple years back pavel was all the rage around here, but lately i've caught a few mentions here and there of the disadvantages of low rep work outs over time. something along the lines of it destroying any muscular endurance.

i have been lifting again for several months now and have been thinking about going that route to mix things up a bit. ill still be doing body weight exercises and jujitsu for endurance so would that be alright or are there still other things to watch out for?

naturally, it will make endurance suffer if you aren't doing any supplementary endurance exercises - the revers is also true - only doing endurance work, your max and limit strength suffer. But you are training, right? So for the most part, you'd probably be okay there.

IronFist
03-03-2006, 11:28 PM
SAID - Specific Adaptation to Imposed Demands

In other words, your body gets better at what you make it do and worse at what you don't make it do.

So, if all you do is high weight, low rep training, your body will get better at it, but over time you will lose your ability to do lower weight, higher rep endurance stuff because you're not making your body do that.

It's why sprinters train don't train by running long distances, and why marathoners don't train by sprinting.

If this doesn't make sense, I apologize. I'm kinda falling asleep. If you want more info just ask.

Ok bedtime.

dougadam
03-04-2006, 12:07 PM
When it comes to self defense it’s all about speed and where you strike. The ST-5 point takes very little strength to KO.

rubthebuddha
03-04-2006, 10:32 PM
and your chances of hitting the perfect point against a resisting opponent when you have adrenaline in your system and your vision has tunneled and ...

when it comes to self defense, it's all about preparing in every way possible, and not counting on any one thing to be your magic bullet.

dougadam
03-06-2006, 08:56 AM
and your chances of hitting the perfect point against a resisting opponent when you have adrenaline in your system and your vision has tunneled and ...

Those are all signs of an untrained person

rubthebuddha
03-06-2006, 11:05 AM
no. they're signs of someone who doesn't rely on the good fortune of a perfect shot on an uncooperative opponent. such shots are useful, but the reliability is very low unless you have a reasonable amount of control over an opponent.

besides, actually being able to move a lot of weight is quite handy for the other 95% of your life.

bodhitree
03-22-2006, 09:32 AM
does dougadam remind anyone of megafist???? Horse stance judo kicks anyone???