PDA

View Full Version : Chin Na in Bagua

jacob360
03-16-2001, 03:48 AM
I don't know very much about bagua, but am very interested in it. I was wondering if there are any chin na applications in bagua. Thanks for any info.

PEACE

neijiachuan
03-16-2001, 04:00 AM
Yes, there are hundreds if not thousands contained within the palm changes, stepping techniques, etc. This particular art has many "hidden" applications within the forms and such that resemble many different chin na techniques, throws, takedowns, etc and are practiced almost identically to any other art containing chin na.

neijiachuan

count
03-16-2001, 04:07 AM
Does anyone else talk about nine cups in bagua chin na?

˙

Waidan
03-16-2001, 12:36 PM
I've heard a lot of references to the teacups, but I've never seen the excercises. I'm missing out :(

I don't know if it was omitted from 9 Palace, or if Srfu just doesn't teach it currently.

count
03-16-2001, 01:00 PM
No reference to tea cups. Rather 9 spaces on the body made up of three points that make a curve. For example, between your shoulder and wrist with the elbow in the middle is one cup/two sides. To make a lock you either shorten the distance between the two or lengthen it. There are 9 cups on the body you can lock with chin na. Very interesting to play with. I just wondered if other teachers use this theory.

Waidan
03-16-2001, 08:17 PM
I thought you were referring to the teacup excercises. It's my understanding they're a set of excercises focused on conditioning the wrists and training chin na techniques.

To answer your question, no, my teacher has never mentioned the 9 cup theory...but you can bet I'll ask him about it today! (I've got a lesson in half-an-hour).

Thanks for the explanation, Count.

Stranger
03-16-2001, 11:24 PM
You can download an mpeg file at www.hsing-i.com (http://www.hsing-i.com) that contains a short clip of the teacup exercise.

There is also a cool pole exercise. Good stuff!

TheBigToad
03-16-2001, 11:43 PM
Qinna(Chin na) is great stuff, but in my mind qinna is really only a transistory system which should be used to move, lead or change an attacker's shape or energy into a more effective means of finishing him off. To apply a lock on someone and hold it will cause pain.. in some cases exterme pain however this alone won't or very rare solve a problem because there comes a time when his pain reseptors in the brain will cease to transmit signals and he will be more angery and intent on hurting you.
I work with sometimes intoxicated and or mentaly unstable persons and at times physical conflict comes of it, these people don't feel pain like most and some I use very sharply applied qinna locks to change their intent or shape and place them in disadvantaged posistions.
Most Qinna should be used to help further the power behind a thrown or to steady them for a striking assult.
As for the 8 tea cup exercises I practice 3 of them daily, there are the Silk Reeling of Baguazhang and help with dragon body movements and the ability to shake off someone else applying qinna or weaving in and out of strikes.

Self-Thinking Follower
03-17-2001, 01:24 AM
See link for 64 chin na techniques of Yin Style Bagua video.

http://www.plumflower.com/new_products.htm