PDA

View Full Version : Battle at the Boardwalk Report

GreenCloudCLF
02-19-2006, 06:44 AM
Here is my official report on what is billed as "The largest mixed martial arts event in the united States."

First I would like to preframe with 2 comments.

1) When I go to a tournament, I do expect them to run late, as is the case 75% of the time. Ido not like this fact, but I accept it as a necessary evil sometimes.

2) To make this tournament I took 2 days off of work (2 days in lost wages) paid $95 for my hotel room for the night, paid $120 in registration fees for the day, and spent other money on food and the like while I was out of state.
---------

I arrived at registration and weigh in at 8:00 AM, it had started at 7:30 and my daughter and my San Shou division was scheduled to start at 9:00AM. I proceed upstairs to the registration area, to find an incredible mass of people crowded together, vying for position for one of the 6 registration desks. I joined the fray.

Then, I looked over to my right and saw the preregistration desk. I was excited. I waited on that line until about 8:20 before it was my turn (not bad i thought). The kind woman behind the desk told me, since I only registered online last week, I had to wait on the regisrtaion line as my passes had not been printed yet. I kindly asked what the point of preregistration was...then walked to the other line.

I was on that line from 8:20AM until about 9:40 AM, that is when the line actually started moving (mind you my division was supposed to begin at 9 AM...and my line was moving, I was still 6 people back from the front, the same number I was when I got on the lin 80 minutes earlier). Then the girl in front of me left in disgust, and I was now 5 back. YES!!!!!!

The line started going quickly then, and I was up front by 10:15 AM, for my 9:00 AM start time. I got up there finaly, and gave the not so kind lady our names, she quickly handed me my daughters pass and dismissed me. I asked about mine, she asked my name again. After 15 minutes of drinking coffee (as I could see what she was doing) she came back to tell me they didn't have my pass. I asked her how they could receive payment for my daughter and not myself. She shrugged and asked if I had my PayPal receipt. (I in my forgetfullness had left my receipt in NY). So I made a snide comment to the effect that "I thought you guys would be organized enough so I didn't need it." She began to drink more coffee while pretending to help me.

Finally out of frustration I made another backhanded comment about the disorganiztion. That is when a big-wig in a suit came over. I was thinking "now we're going to get some action." He patted me kindly on the forearm and said, "don't worry we'll take care of you." AND THEN WALKED AWAY! Another gentleman who didn't speak English approached me and asked my name, stating he would help me.

He looked for my name among the passes, couldn't find them and started to help someone else. He then ripped up the slip of paper with my name and threw it out. Then 10 minutes later when he came back, he realized what he did and retook my name and the division I was competing in. After another 10 or so minutes, he came back and said, "This is what I can do. Repay the registraion fee, and when you get home you can call and get a refund." Well I just about sh!t my pants. (Please see above for the $$$ I had already dropped coming to this event.) I said I wasn't in a finanicial position to lay out another $75 (door registration fee price) for something I had already paid for. He walked away, a few minuted later I grabbed him and said, you know what forget it, this isn't worth it. Just give me a spectators pass and I'll get a refund for everything this week. He said, "Spectaor passes are $15 and sold downstairs." I looked at him and said, "No, you misunderstand GIVE ME a spectators pass." He found one in a few minutes and off I was.

I enetered the tourney area close to 11:00 AM (for the 9:00 AM start). There was no San Shou ring, cause it wasn't ordered or something. ALthough I believe the tourney director is on this forum so he can clarify what happened there. So San Shou was held in the cage (hexagon, not octagon:D ). I would have loved to fought in the cage...could've gotten some great pcitures...but you know, organization sucked.

The 9:00 AM San Shou finally started around 12;15 PMish...although I might be slightly off due to the fact the only thing I really saw was red...

I highly enjoyed watching my daughter fight in the cage (it was sooo cute) but couldn't stand being there any longer. We finally left around 1:00 PMish to eat.

I hadn't eaten anything but an apple that morning, cause you know, I supposed to fight.
------

Three things I would rather do than go back to Debacle at the Boardwalk next year:

1) Pull me own fingernails out
2) Slam my testicles in a dresser drawer
3) Be annally raped by a Katana.
------

Now I must go apply for my refund (like that'll be easy)

Be well all and I hope you found this report informative as well as entertaining. (BTW my daughter lost in the first match 2nd round by decision).:mad:

Oso
02-19-2006, 07:40 AM
that sucks. 3 hours late is too late.

shoulda brought your paypal reciept though.

I hear you on the forgetfullness though. Here's what I do. I have a big box of regular file folders. When I start working on something, I label a new one and everything gets put into the file folder and then I only have to remember the file folder.

GreenCloudCLF
02-19-2006, 12:48 PM
I agree on the paypal thing, but just so I clear it up...after I gave up on competing through frustraion, there were still 100-150 people waiting in the registration lines...so it is not like I was the only one.

I spoke to several people who paid twice just to compete and several people who spent a few hours waiting on them to find their registration information...

Worst tournament ever!

Lama Pai Sifu
02-19-2006, 01:06 PM
Sorry to hear about the bad news. One of my instructors competed and took Gold Medal in mixed Chinese weapons - ROPE DART!

Contrats MR. Frank Hatsis!

Green Cloud
02-19-2006, 05:52 PM
The chinese division was none existant. There were only a handful of competitors and basicaly should have been canceled. There were so few competitors that a wu shu guy competed against himself and won a gold. The tourney was overpriced and unorganized.

wiz cool c
02-19-2006, 06:29 PM
How was the push hands. I wanted to compete but diden't have the money.

Green Cloud
02-19-2006, 08:05 PM
I didn't see any push hands :(

Shaolin Dude
02-19-2006, 11:11 PM
greencloudclf, do u know will preap?

GreenCloudCLF
02-20-2006, 05:50 AM

Name doesn't ring a bell...should I know him???:confused:

Green Cloud
02-20-2006, 07:30 AM
The MMA was cool but there wasn't a big turn out and the san shou division was cool too. I liked having the san shou in the cage that made it real interesting.

shuaichiao
02-20-2006, 07:39 AM
WOW! That sucks dude.

just out of curiosity did you see the USA vs China san shou matches? If so how were they?

Green Cloud
02-20-2006, 08:07 AM
No that was a bust as was everything else. They asked if one of my students would stay and fight for the grand championships but since they asked us at the last minute we had to decline since we were leaving Sunday morning, and most of us had to work on monday.

They may have scraped something together for the sunday night show but I doughbt it. All in all I think they did't do the right thing to promote it and get the CMA schools there.

Charging 175 dollars for three events and not taking care of the Sifus who were bringing the talent to there tournaments didn't help. They actualy wanted to charge me fourty bucks to be a coach.

Anyway AC was a fun way to bond with my boys, as far as next year is concerned we might go again for the fights but as far as the CMA divisions I'm not doing that again. AC is too expensive and could run you 500 bucks just to stay in the sheraton for two nights, forget the fact that you have to drop close to 200 bucks just to demo your forms and have no one else to compete against.

Basicaly the CMA division was me and Mike parela's student's. Ofcourse none of my training bros showed up so I had no one to hang out with except for Dave Ross who was busy running the San Da.

Oso
02-20-2006, 08:14 AM
how were the other divisions run?

was the whole event screwed or were the karate divisions run well?

why does it seem that the kung fu world can't get it's act together at this level?

Green Cloud
02-20-2006, 08:14 AM
If you guys want to go to an excelent event my buddy George Crayton is throwing a tournament in Farmingdale NY there should be a great turn out, just go to the green cloud site for more info.

greencloud.net

Green Cloud
02-20-2006, 08:20 AM
how were the other divisions run?

was the whole event screwed or were the karate divisions run well?

why does it seem that the kung fu world can't get it's act together at this level?

Dear OSO the event was run by a TKD federation that's why the kung fu division was a flop. I was a bit hesitant to go because I never heard of these guys. As far as the Karate events well lets say that the promoters ate their shirts.

As far as kung fu tourneys, they have come along way and are run great. One of the best event's ever is the Wongs tourney in washington DC. Sifu Wong realy knoww how to take care of his judges and the schools that show up.

Oso
02-20-2006, 09:02 AM
I didn't realize it was run by a non-kf person.

I haven't had a chance to go to Wong's yet...maybe this summer. but, it's the same month as Scrima's in Orlando and the rest of Pong Lai wants to go there.

I think the trick would have been for the tkd guy to get a good kf guy on board to run that segment of the event.

sounds like he tried to diversify too much.

Mutant
02-20-2006, 09:30 AM
I know Will. :D

I heard he won his first San Da fight, good for him.

I also heard that his coach specifically asked if they would have time to go get something for lunch before he had to fight again, they were told 'yes, go get lunch', so they did, and then they went and called his name for the second fight while he wasnt ringside so he forfited his second match. Now that sux.

Anyway big congrats to Will for his win though!

lkfmdc
02-20-2006, 09:37 AM
except for Dave Ross who was busy running the San Da.

I hate to vent, but I got blamed for tons of stuff down there and the reality was I was NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY OF IT

I was not a director or organizer of any of the events at the event... I was there only because I had two students doing MMA (both won :D !!) and to run the MMA rules meeting...

I ended up judging the San Da because otherwise it wouldn't have run. I had NOTHING to do with the Thai boxing and got attacked by some yahoo because of how poorly that went... crazy f-in people

Oso
02-20-2006, 09:38 AM
wow...sounds like it was SNAFU....

how in the world did they expect to do this thing w/o getting people, like Ross, to run each separate division?

seems like if you wanted to run a multi-discipline event like this you would see out leaders in each discipline and get them to run each segment while you, as overall director, just made sure that your managers were doing their job.

GreenCloudCLF
02-20-2006, 01:51 PM
I know Will. :D

I heard he won his first San Da fight, good for him.

I also heard that his coach specifically asked if they would have time to go get something for lunch before he had to fight again, they were told 'yes, go get lunch', so they did, and then they went and called his name for the second fight while he wasnt ringside so he forfited his second match. Now that sux.

Anyway big congrats to Will for his win though!

Mutant,

This stuff happened all over. I saw guys competing in the braking division, who had to forfeit their righ to break so they could compete in the Self Defense division. They had paid for both events, but only got to compete in one.

The web site said that if you are competing in multi events with same start times, let the judges know and they will shuffle you around accordingly...those judges all were having ****ing contests over which event was more important and took priority over the "less important" event...With the exception of the CMA forms and San Da...those people got to compete in both.

Oh and as a side note...if ANY of those people who competed in the self-defense aspect got jumped...they would be killed...If I knew what the event would look like I woul've competed in it, just to take a gold medal...really sad stuff. I saw so many guys using the knife, and dragging the blade across their stomachs and necks to deliver the technique:eek:

Mr Punch
02-21-2006, 03:45 AM
1) Pull me own fingernails out
2) Slam my testicles in a dresser drawer
3) Be annally raped by a Katana.
Just let me or GDA know when. 2 sounds like a lot of fun.

Sucks about the tournament though.

GreenCloudCLF
02-21-2006, 06:15 AM
Just let me or GDA know when. 2 sounds like a lot of fun.

Sucks about the tournament though.
Mat,

I was just wondering if you would like to explain to all the members of this forum why it is you want to touch my testicles...and why you think it would be fun?:p

Ray Pina
02-21-2006, 11:48 AM
How was the MMA under that rule set, with not allowing head strikes on the ground?

Was it like a combination of San Da stand up and Grappler's Quest? That's kind of how I imagined it. Though now I was thinking the prospect of San Da but with MMA gloves could actually be interesting. Though I don't like the idea that you can't punch someone's nose who's trying to twist off your arm.

Congrats for your fighters Ross. That's something to be proud of.

Ford Prefect
02-21-2006, 12:16 PM
Sounds like par for the course for the most part with the new wave of combat sport. When I was doing submission grappling tournies, there was always some similar snafu, and at the very least all the divisions would start late. I ended up paying twice a couple times because I didn't want to walk away after driving 3 freaking hours. Pretty ridiculous.

It was the polar opposite when I boxed. True enough I was on a team, but I got to the tourney, gave my name, hit the locker room, and did my own thing until it was fight time. No hassle. No BS.

Mutant
02-21-2006, 01:03 PM
It was the polar opposite when I boxed. True enough I was on a team, but I got to the tourney, gave my name, hit the locker room, and did my own thing until it was fight time. No hassle. No BS.

Got to hand it to LKFMDC, this is how the fights that he organizes are run, at least the ones i've been to. Wish all could be that smooth, most are barely worth going to, total flusterclucks.

lkfmdc
02-21-2006, 02:12 PM
Got to hand it to LKFMDC, this is how the fights that he organizes are run, at least the ones i've been to. Wish all could be that smooth, most are barely worth going to, total flusterclucks.

Thanks for the kind words, we try to do our best... because we've either been fighters or have fighters and understand the "other side" of the coin...

GreenCloudCLF
02-21-2006, 06:04 PM
One of my students ended up winning 2 golds in the sword fighting division...man those medals are heavy....Good job Charlie Trenka...

Video and images to follow after her dad gets me the DVD.

chud
02-21-2006, 07:53 PM
Congrats to your student. It's a shame the event was so poorly run though. I've never understood how people can do things that way; based on your description it's almost like they couldn't have messed it up more if they tried.

Jules
02-21-2006, 09:43 PM
Sifu, I'm posting from my laptop and can only access once in a while this week. But, which o f our guys fought? Did Tristan and Corwin enter? How was the rest of th trip and who else went? I wish I had been there.

~~J

EdwardHsu
02-22-2006, 12:47 AM
I won't make up excuses for the reistration process...that is the first issue we are dealing with...it is hard when you have all those people register at the door, and with all the disciplines it was hard to get it done correctly.

I will say this, the month going into the tournament I was forced to take over the Pro MMA show, I literaly spent almost every minute of every day coordinating it...the last week yp to the tournament I had to spend picking up fighters, bringing them to the hospital for there meds, working out logistics...because the group I had involved with the Pro Show were not allowed to come into NJ ...

I will admit, we did too much the first year, and for a first time event were not prepared ... however, after speaking with the discipline leaders we have already instituted many changes...

-For 2007 BATB we will utilize 50,000 less sq. ft of space...the space we had used was entirely too much
-We will only focus on the Championships, there will be no Pro Shows, No Banquet, no additional festivites...we will include more championships
-We have set up a few Directors meetings, we definitely did not hav enough meetings before the event...this will help coordinate times...
-Though I have a TKD background, I do not run any of the Championships, I will be utilizing a 'local' CMA director...though the CMA director has run large events in the midwest, it doesn't help in the NJ metro area (any suggestions?)
--he will help in the tournament logistics though.

-We will be using a service for the registration process next year, We have already spoken with UTC (Ultimate Tournament services) to run the registration desk next year...

I will be the first one to say things didn't go 100% but everything that didn't go right can be changed, fixed and made better...

ALot happened at the BATB, so much that I could write a book about it...however I am taking that as a learning experience to make future events better...

Ed Hsu

GreenCloudCLF
02-22-2006, 05:27 AM
I won't make up excuses for the reistration process...that is the first issue we are dealing with...it is hard when you have all those people register at the door, and with all the disciplines it was hard to get it done correctly.

I didn't register at the door...I registered online WEEK before....seems like it would have been easier to pay the extra money and register at the door...

EdwardHsu
02-22-2006, 06:54 AM
The problem we had was with the paypal registration process...many of the online registrations never made it through...also if there was even a slight spelling mistake we had problems with the pre-reg.

Again, for a tournament of this size and with all the disciplines we are trying to rectify all the problems...what needs to be fixed is fixable. I apologize for any inconvienance this may have caused...though when the Championships did get started everything did go smoothly...

Ed Hsu

Ray Pina
02-22-2006, 07:03 AM

Agreed. Though the events run at the gym in the city were much smoother than the last one in Jersey, though that should be expected because of the sheer size of the thing.

Just hard when you eat breakfast at 8:30 expecting things to start by 11 so you bring an apple or two to hold ya over but then don't fight until like 2:00 or 3:00 p.m..... just too much up and down with nerves. But that's a part of it too, though, and experience is a great teacher.

Overall, have to say Ross runs a great show. The city ones are ideal. Show up, crash in the locker room and wait for the call. That's perfect scenario.

EdwardHsu
02-22-2006, 09:02 AM
Again, I understand how important the scheduling is...

It seems that the worst of it happened to the CMA and related events...don't know why.

The registration process is our First priority and one that we have fixed for next year. To process all the apps and bracket each discipline was not an easy task.I hope you understand the undertaking this project was and understand that it is our priority to make this event run smoother next time around.

I appreciate Sifu Ross with the bracketing...no one believed that the Amateur MMA was bracketed that same day and that it wasn't pre-bracketed...

Please, I welcome your comments and suggestions...my concept is a good one, however there are issues to hammer out to make it the best posssible event it can be.Thank you all for your understanding.

Ed Hsu

Green Cloud
02-22-2006, 09:18 AM
One of the problems we encountered was the lack of CMA participants, and I could tell you why that was.

1. Coaches ( sifu's) should never be charged admission, certainly not 40 dollars for a coaches fee. The Sifu's are the ones bringing the talent and it should't matter wether they bring 10 guys or 1. All I could say when I was asked to pay was well I never! I had 10 people but I arrived on friday and of course there was all the confusion.

2. treat the coaches right and they will respond the same way back. Most of the CMA events that I have attended usualy have some snafus but since courtesy is contagious we all lend a hand and make it happen.

3. Most kung fu guys I know are very frugal and probably won't come to martial arts event if it costs over 100 bucks. I had guys that competed in 4 events that paid close to 200 bucks to compete. Hey I told them we are in AC and it's expensive. Once we stepped into the competition imagine their dissapointment when they saw the lack of competitors.

When we go to kung fu tourneys we are also going there to see old friends that otherwise we don't see unless we go to these competitions.

4. Get judges from the east coast that everyone knows and trust, not that the guys that were there didn't do a good job. Including the events organizer that will alay the fears of competitors going into an event blindly. The kung fu world is a close knit community and everyone knows each other.

5. Give the fighters a break on the reg price they are the entertainment and are the ones bringing in the spectators. Charge the spectator more they will pay to see the fights. Back in the nacmaf day we never charged the fighters in the san shou divisions to atract more fighters. And we held the events during the evening shows and let me tell you it was a packed house.

6. Oh yea how about adding a continuous sparring division, since that's what most kung fu guys compete in at CMA events.

7. Hire a respected Sifu to organize the whole thing not an events organizor.

I must say that the San Da ran smoothly once it got started and doing it in the cage was pretty cool. Hey we may have started a whole new sport SAN CAGE.:D

greencloud.net

lkfmdc
02-22-2006, 11:09 AM
Mr Hsu,

I was more than happy to help out at the event, in fact it was an honor. My only comment was about being confronted aggressively about something in the Thai boxing when I had NOTHING to do with that event.... literally nothing, I was a spectator in the stands :D

Next year, I'd be more than happy to help out, even taking on an official position if you want. Feel free to email me at LKFMDC@att.net

EdwardHsu
02-22-2006, 05:17 PM
Thank you for the suggestions, and thank you for the assistance Sifu Ross...

We are aggressively working on making the 2007 Battle at the Boardwalk a successful event...

Ed Hsu

Green Cloud
02-25-2006, 09:29 PM
Ed do the right thing next year and I'l be back, I realy did enjoy the san da.

greencloud.net

GunnedDownAtrocity
02-25-2006, 10:08 PM
Mat,

I was just wondering if you would like to explain to all the members of this forum why it is you want to touch my testicles...and why you think it would be fun?:p

no explanation required.

im in dude.

Jules
02-25-2006, 11:10 PM
I'm going to get a CD of some of my training brothers' fights! I can't wait. I hear that Tristan won in his first round. I wish I could have seen that. :D

~~Jules

Green Cloud
02-26-2006, 08:54 AM
hey jules, Tristan did great the first fight. He realy shouldn't of competed in the forms division since he was tired going in to the fight. He finished his last form and had to run to the cage. The cage made it all very exciting.

Corwin won his first fight, but hert his foot on his opponents elbow, I wasn't aware of the injury till after he fought his second fight. All in all he did agreat job and earned every ones respect.

The rest of the night we kept the poor guy sadated on booze as he hobbled through the casinos.

Chuck held his own as usual but lost his first fight, to a better fighter who had 50 tai boxing fights and owned his own school. Personaly I think he did great considering it was his first time in the ring, not to mention he fought a pro. He hit the guy hard but lost points on point. None the less I knew he gave the other guy a hard time when I saw his opponent sucking on his Inhaler.

The new school is starting to look great and the view of the pond from the training area is awesome.

greencloud.net

GunnedDownAtrocity
02-26-2006, 11:08 AM
i want to see the vids. let me know if you need help hosting them.

EdwardHsu
02-26-2006, 04:20 PM
The video is being worked on right now, I will certainly make all the necessary changes for the CMA event for next years Battle at the Boardwalk. I have had a chance to speak with the directors and my staff...what I did like was there was NO politics at this event!

Again, please feel free to make suggestions on a 'local' CMA director...this event is the first one we address for the following BATB...thanks again.

Ed Hsu

Jules
02-26-2006, 06:46 PM
I am so proud to have such training brothers. I wish I could have been there! Sounds like you all had a blast. I hope Corwin's foot is all right, he didn't break it, did he?

Thanks fo the update. Can't wait to see you all, I will try to make Holbrook classes sometime this week!

~~J

CoRWiN
02-26-2006, 08:46 PM
Didn't break it, i think i just hyperextended it. It's got this really wild camoflauge pattern of purple all over it so i'm thinkin it's just broken blood cells. I've been hobblin all week but i'll be back to trainning tomorow.

now sure the logistics and the sheer cost of the event sucked, nothing could possibly put a damper on what occured in that ring. I've never experienced anything like it before. To quote Fight Club life kinda just has this buzz now, everything has faded a bit into the backdrop. It's hard to describe the surreal experience of walking into the ring, or the complete lack of cognitive thought that arises do to the stress of conflict. Many of my theories on how i should be trainning panned out in the ring and i'll be hitting the gym with not only a new fervor but a new level of understanding. My friends have even commented on the level of tranquility i've been given off since the fight. Words do it all no justice.

Jules
02-26-2006, 09:00 PM
Hey, Corwin! Glad to have you back. I've been trying to email you for like a month but your email is bouncing. :eek:

Sorry about your foot, but glad that you had a great time anyway, and such an epiphany. I really hope to reach such a level someday. I'm looking forward to seeing that CD, too, with all of you guys on it.

Hope to see you sometime this week in Holbrook!

~~J