PDA

View Full Version : SHANG-CHI "MASTER of KUNG FU"

@PLUGO
10-01-2002, 12:24 PM
yes indeed... the Master of Kungfu is back at the comic shop...

brought to you by Doug Moench /Paul Gulacy

http://www.marvel.com/comics/onsale/covers/0902/mokf_1.jpg

I read it... should I review it or wait for a few other fans to check it out?

HuangKaiVun
10-01-2002, 03:39 PM
I have amassed about 1/3 of the old "Shang Chi" books.

Why the heck won't Marvel get them together into a "Essential Master of Kung Fu" black and white binding?

We don't need any more modernized plastic surgery Shang Chi's looking like kung fu prettyboys.

We need the good ol' stuff.

Chang Style Novice
10-01-2002, 04:31 PM
I want O'Neill and Cowan to start doing "The Question" again, personally.

shaolinarab
09-27-2003, 02:07 PM
Originally posted by Design Sifu
yes indeed... the Master of Kungfu is back at the comic shop...

brought to you by Doug Moench /Paul Gulacy

http://www.marvel.com/comics/onsale/covers/0902/mokf_1.jpg

I read it... should I review it or wait for a few other fans to check it out?

yes, please review it so we can see what it's like.

@PLUGO
09-30-2003, 11:55 AM
Actually...

I stopped buying it after the first issue...

it was rather disapointing. However, I only read bits of the original series, so it would be interesting to hear from someone who was a long time fan.

shaolinarab
09-30-2003, 12:00 PM
ha. that's too bad. i had 3 old issues that i bought for cheap nearly 7 yrs ago. haven't read much comics in college, but in high school i got into the valiant universe. my favorite was NINJAK. he was a badass.

but that reminds me...actually, in my third year of college i got into reading the translated lone wolf and cub graphic novels. talk about a real badass ronin. i think i got through the first 8 issues.

ah the good ol' days...anyone know where i can buy them used (LWAC) for cheap?

Chang Style Novice
09-30-2003, 12:27 PM
Speaking of The Question, there's apparently going to be a new series starting next spring written by Roarin' Rick Vietch and drawn by Tommy Lee Edwards. Sounds promising to me.

@PLUGO
10-01-2003, 10:11 AM
looks preety good no ? (http://images.comicbookresources.com/previews/ww2003_dc/big/Question.01.jpg)

Both "The Question" and "Vigilante" will examine how crime operates in Metropolis under the watch of Superman. Didio explained that "The Question and Vigilante are identifying the types of crime that Superman doesn't identify. ... the flip side of 'Gotham Central.'"

"The Question" will be written by Rick Veitch with art by Tommy Lee Edwards and will see the character face street level crime in Metropolis. The new "Vigilante" will be illustrated by Wildstorm artist Carlos D'Anda and will be written by 'StormWatch' scribe Micah Ian Wright. It will explore the wrongs committed by corporate entities, like LexCorp.

The Question and Superman... S T R A N G E

Chang Style Novice
10-01-2003, 12:56 PM
Not so much to me. I had an idea years ago (that obviously I should have developed and pitched) with Vic Sage and Clark Kent both being on the scene when a press conference by a controversial third world leader at the United Nations erupted into a terrorist attack. The idea was to use the "Die-Hard"ish setting as a way to explore their characters. Id've kept them both out of costume and let their personalities and goals determine their dealings with the attackers, instead of focussing on Superpowers and martial skills.

Looks like I've been beaten to the punch on that concept, though.

Shaolinlueb
10-02-2003, 07:03 AM
my friend at kung fu let me borrow them. saw so many guns being used to i jsut skimmed through it.

@PLUGO
02-20-2006, 10:57 AM
rumor has it. (http://www.aint-it-cool.com/display.cgi?id=22523)

On a recent interview regarding “Brokeback Mountain” with Spanish newspaper “El Mundo”, Ang Lee, when asked about future projects, revealed his status as producer on "The hands of Shang-Chi (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Master_of_Kung_Fu)", to be directed by Woo-Ping Yuen, and based on the martial arts comics by Marvel comics. He established the plot as “A martial arts master who must battle his own father, as he discovers his role as dangerous criminal”.

The interview was published here in Chile by newspaper“El Mercurio”, this Sunday, but Avi Arad confirmed a Shang-chi film to be in development in . . .without revealing any info on a director or producer.

thoughts?

GeneChing
02-20-2006, 11:06 AM
Given the success of CTHD and Brokeback, that would be fascinating. Could a comicbook get an Oscar nod? Well, the Hulk surely did not.

I've always said I though Ang Lee was best at directing women (and there's a Brokeback joke in there, I know). I think Hulk would have been more successful if it had been She-Hulk. Was there any significant women in Shang Chi's story? Could we add a few? How about She-Hulk?

mickey
02-20-2006, 11:53 AM
Greetings,

The thought of bringing back anything that equates Chinese and other Asiatic peoples with the "Yellow Peril" makes me cringe. Shang Chi was the son of Fu Manchu, a "dangerous person" to the efforts of colonialism and imperialism.

There was an issue where he was involed with the wonderful feminine aspect (I think it was Marvel King Sized edition #3). He accidentally kills her. The depiction of the two of them kissing on a park bench was HOT for the time. I remember it with much fondness.

mickey

SimonM
02-21-2006, 03:50 AM
Who to star?

@PLUGO
09-24-2009, 10:22 AM
As the rumors of a movie have all but evaporated we can at least enjoy a preview of the Master of Kung Fu's latest exploits (http://www.newsarama.com/php/multimedia/album_view.php?gid=1339).

doug maverick
09-24-2009, 11:15 AM
this movie was and still is in complete limbo...at one point i heard from very reliable source that keanu reeves was attached. but that fizzled and dont think yuen woo ping is attached anymore either. so we'll see.

sanjuro_ronin
09-24-2009, 11:24 AM
What about the Iron Fist movie?

doug maverick
09-24-2009, 01:11 PM
we'll see what happens and how popular ray park gets on hero's, thats the only thing i can see reviving that film. but then again now that marvel has disney money behind them, they can start doing films they werent able to before.

sanjuro_ronin
09-24-2009, 01:13 PM
we'll see what happens and how popular ray park gets on hero's, thats the only thing i can see reviving that film. but then again now that marvel has disney money behind them, they can start doing films they werent able to before.

If they don't kill him off on the series that is....
Ray's acting seems to get better but the jury is out.
I don't think I would make a movie around him as the sole attraction.

@PLUGO
09-24-2009, 03:21 PM
If they don't kill him off on the series that is....
Ray's acting seems to get better but the jury is out.
I don't think I would make a movie around him as the sole attraction.

Simple Solution . . . Heroes for Hire with Tyrese Gibson as Luke Cage...

As for Keanu's Kung Fu... last I heard he was going to be flexing it as the lead to the live action COWBOY BEBOP movie.

Jimbo
09-24-2009, 08:24 PM
I actually used to read the Master of Kung Fu comics back in the '70s. He had a female love interest, an agent oddly named Leiko Wu, I believe. The early issues in the series were the best. The artwork was excellent, esp. by Paul Galacy.

But I agree with mickey about the whole Fu Manchu thing. There was the race thing and all which was considered acceptable at the time, but would be a step back for Asians in cinema in the West. If they could scrap the whole Fu Manchu, Black Jack Tarr, Nayland Smith(?) aspect of the story, it would be good.

NOT Keanu Reeves, though. There's gotta be somebody way more qualified to play Shang-Chi than that. Though I think Keanu could look a lot like Sub-Mariner if he had a flat-top haircut and Spock ears. I'd much rather see Donnie Yen star as Shang-Chi. Plus his moves and his physique would more resemble the comic (Shang-Chi was often drawn in imitation of BL). Maggie Q might be a good Leiko Wu.

David Jamieson
09-25-2009, 05:09 AM
frickin Iron Fist!

yeah mofos!

http://www.wired.com/images_blogs/geekdad/images/2009/04/19/ironfist.jpg

sanjuro_ronin
09-25-2009, 05:37 AM
I actually used to read the Master of Kung Fu comics back in the '70s. He had a female love interest, an agent oddly named Leiko Wu, I believe. The early issues in the series were the best. The artwork was excellent, esp. by Paul Galacy.

But I agree with mickey about the whole Fu Manchu thing. There was the race thing and all which was considered acceptable at the time, but would be a step back for Asians in cinema in the West. If they could scrap the whole Fu Manchu, Black Jack Tarr, Nayland Smith(?) aspect of the story, it would be good.

NOT Keanu Reeves, though. There's gotta be somebody way more qualified to play Shang-Chi than that. Though I think Keanu could look a lot like Sub-Mariner if he had a flat-top haircut and Spock ears. I'd much rather see Donnie Yen star as Shang-Chi. Plus his moves and his physique would more resemble the comic (Shang-Chi was often drawn in imitation of BL). Maggie Q might be a good Leiko Wu.

I preferred Mike Zeck's work to be honest, his fighting was more "honest".
I agree, Donnie would make a most excellent Shang Chi.

sanjuro_ronin
09-25-2009, 05:38 AM
frickin Iron Fist!

yeah mofos!

http://www.wired.com/images_blogs/geekdad/images/2009/04/19/ironfist.jpg

I finished the "Immortal Iron fist" saga and loved it, though it was a tad too long.

doug maverick
09-25-2009, 06:06 AM
Simple Solution . . . Heroes for Hire with Tyrese Gibson as Luke Cage...

As for Keanu's Kung Fu... last I heard he was going to be flexing it as the lead to the live action COWBOY BEBOP movie.

i hope your joking about tyrese gibson.............

terry crews would be a better pick a way better pick.

Zenshiite
09-26-2009, 11:59 PM
I finished the "Immortal Iron fist" saga and loved it, though it was a tad too long.

It ain't over yet. Immortal Iron Fist is on hiatus. Pick up Immortal Weapons. The first issue is a good one about Fat Cobra.

sanjuro_ronin
09-28-2009, 08:10 AM
It ain't over yet. Immortal Iron Fist is on hiatus. Pick up Immortal Weapons. The first issue is a good one about Fat Cobra.

Yeah, I am all burnt out on comics, LOL !
Maybe when it gets to Tigers Beautiful daughter ;)

GeneChing
10-01-2009, 11:45 AM
Some reviews

Short And Sweet Review For New Shang-Chi Master Of Kung Fu One Shot (http://goodcomics.comicbookresources.com/2009/09/30/short-and-sweet-review-for-new-shang-chi-master-of-kung-fu-one-shot/)
by Brad Curran

It's awesome. Everyone should buy it, but especially Greg Hatcher, because it is pandering to him pretty heavily. But everyone should (hopefully) enjoy the lead story, by Jonathan Hickman and Kody Chamberlin, where Shang-Chi and Deadpool bond over hot dogs and something awesome happens frequently (at least every other panel; I'll have to re-read to make sure).

I hope you can overlook my past indiscretions and find it in your heart to give this one a shot, if not because of me, than in spite of me, because it really will improve your life. Or just follow the King's advice when it comes to things you might not totally understand but still desperately need in your life.

Shang-Chi: Master of Kung Fu #1 Review (http://comics.ign.com/articles/103/1030291p1.html)
The master of kung fu returns in an homage to his classic series.
by Jesse Schedeen

September 30, 2009 - Marvel and black-and-white comics don't necessarily get along these days, but they used to be good buddies a few decades ago. Characters like Shang-Chi and Blade thrived in the cheap, moody real of black-and-white. Apparently some of the current crew at Marvel have fond memories of those days, because Shang-Chi is back and thriving in a new blac-and-white adventure. I wasn't sure what to expect from Shang-Chi: Master of Kung Fu, but whatever expectations I had were blown away.

If you're not familiar with Shang-Chi, he's the other martial artist superhero in the Marvel Universe. He doesn't have Iron Fist's fancy iron fist or his yellow booties, but he does have an intriguing back story and Bruce Lee-style charm. The various stories in this special run the gamut from campy road adventures to traditional martial arts brawls. The only real uniting factor is the color scheme, or lack thereof.

I was admittedly concerned upon seeing Deadpool sharing cover space with Shang-Chi. Did this issue really need to resort to such shameless cross-promotion? Luckily, Deadpool's role in the opening story is very well done. Actually, those curious how Jonathan Hickman wold handle the Merc With a Mouth can rely on this issue for evidence. Hickman's story is utterly ridiculous in concept, execution, and even title. In short, Shang-Chi and Deadpool are competing in a cross-country motorcycle death race against the likes of a team of luchador wrestlers and a duo known as the Hitler Twins. This story is so very, very goofy, and I loved every panel of it. The quirky, independent sensibility that sometimes comes up lacking in Hickman's Marvel work is on full display here. Even Kody Chamberlin's exaggerated watercolors evoke Hickman's past Image work. By the final page of this odd tale I already felt like my money was well spent.

The following two tales are somewhat more traditional in execution. Mike Benson and Tom Coker team for a cinematic kung fu brawl. Essentially, this is the sort of noir story Coker should have turned in when he drew Daredevil Noir. Far from appearing static or posed, Coker's figures dance and fight like an old movie unfolding on the page. Benson's script is enjoyable, if not terribly creative. I did appreciate the way all the dialogue appeared in traditional Chinese script with English subtitles below. It was a clever way of achieving that foreign movie feel.

Charlie Huston and Enrique Romero offer what is easily the most traditional Shang-Chi story. This tale alone looks as if it could easily have been lifted from one of the old magazines. It comes up lacking in creativity, and Romero's art doesn't really stand out when compared to the others, but it still makes for a nice counterpoint to the other, more modern stories in the issue.

The final segment is an illustrated prose piece written by Robin Furth and drawn by Paul Gulacy. As with her back-matter material in the Dark Tower books, Furth does an excellent job diving into the nuts and bolts of our hero and exploring what makes him and his world tick. Gulacy's art is sparing, but mostly effective.

With 48 pages of story and no ads (apart from a single fake one), Shang-Chi: Master of Kung Fu #1 is one of those rare books that fully justifies its $4 price tag. I would have liked to see some level of contribution from classic Shang-Chi writers, but that's a minor complaint. Easily the most pleasant surprise of the week, I find myself wondering what could be done with a more long-term Shang-Chi project in the future. With the right creative team behind him, this hero could experience a resurgence every bit as big as Iron Fist's.

sanjuro_ronin
10-01-2009, 11:49 AM
Hmmmm, interesting....

GeneChing
06-14-2011, 10:00 AM
SPIDER-ISLAND's Shang-Chi Mini 'All About Kung Fu Action' (http://www.newsarama.com/comics/spider-island-shang-chi-antony-johnston-110606.html)
By Albert Ching, Newsarama Staff Writer
posted: 06 June 2011 02:22 pm ET

http://i.newsarama.com/images/SpiderIsland_DeadlyHands_ff.jpg

This year's Free Comic Book Day issue of Amazing Spider-Man gave Shang-Chi an important role to play in the Spider-Man corner of the Marvel Universe — using his "Master of Kung Fu" status to teach Spidey some serious skills, in order to compensate for the title character's recent loss of his Spider-Sense.

Shang-Chi is taking the next step in August by starring in Spider-Island: Deadly Hands of Kung Fu, a three-issue miniseries tying in to the summer's Spider-Man event. Writer Antony Johnston and artist Sebastián Fiumara are the creative team for the series, which also includes prominent roles for Iron Fist and The Bride of Nine Spiders.

Newsarama caught up with Johnston over email to chat about Shang-Chi's place in Spider-Man's world, reuniting with Fiumara, the writer's affinity for the wuxia genre, and some hints about his upcoming work outside of superheroes.

Newsarama: Antony, the last time we talked, it was about Shadowland: Blood on the Streets, and now you're taking on another lesser-known, street-level Marvel hero in Shang-Chi. Yet given the character's recent momentum from appearing in Secret Avengers and now becoming a part of the Spider-Man corner of the Marvel Universe, he may not be "lesser-known" for long. Do you see a possibility of Shang-Chi becoming a breakout Marvel star, much in the way that, say, Moon Knight has elevated in stature lately?

Antony Johnston: It’s a possibility, sure. I don’t think there’s anything preventing any particular character from breaking out, especially at the moment — it’s more a question of them being elevated to a higher status through the attention of a high-profile creator, or an editorial decision.

Whether that’s on the cards for Shang-Chi, I don’t know, but I’d love to see it. He’s a great character, with a rich history and loads of potential.
Ads by Google
Thor Movie Costumes
Thor Costumes & Accessories Like The Movie. Top Quality, Ships Fast!
buycostumes.com
K12 Online High School
Your Child Deserves an Outstanding Education Discover K12 Today!
www.K12.com
PBteen® Dorm
Head to College in Style with Dorm Essentials from PBteen. Shop Now!
www.pbteen.com

Nrama: That said, though he is a cult favorite, Shang-Chi as a starring character has traditionally had a hard time catching on with audiences as a whole over the years. What do you think might have kept Shang-Chi from taking off in the past, and are there any lessons to be learned in how you're approaching this project?

Johnston: All I’m doing is trying to tell the best story I can with a great character. I’m not here to deconstruct Shang-Chi, or go all post-modern on him.

As for having a hard time catching on, I disagree. This is a character whose original headline series ran for 125 issues. Just let that sink in a while, you know? These days, if a series makes it to issue #10 it’s a raging success.

Shang’s problem is that, in most people’s minds, he’s intrinsically tied to the 70s kung fu craze. And there’s no way of getting round that — it’s why he was created, after all. But it’s just a perception we need to get people over. Like I said, all it would take is a concerted push from somewhere. Remember when Deadpool was a one-joke character with no future?

Nrama: The big hook of Spider-Island is that all of Manhattan is getting super-powers — including Shang-Chi. Since he's one of Marvel's most prominent unpowered superheroes, what kind of opportunity is it to get to write him with powers (at least temporarily)?

Johnston: It’s fun, it changes some of the things you can do with him and his martial arts. Make no mistake, this book is all about kung fu action. But the events of Spider-Island mean we can now do kung fu with people sticking to walls and jumping eighty feet in the air, like a classic wuxia movie. Brilliant.

Shang’s spider-powers aren’t just about extra-cool kung fu moves, though. They have an important part to play in the actual plot, too.

Nrama: This year's Amazing Spider-Man Free Comic Book Day issue established Shang-Chi's place within the Spidey side of the MU, and this miniseries further cements that status. Why do you think Shang-Chi is a good fit with the world of Spider-Man?

Johnston: Spider-Man’s just more down to earth than many other heroes, and despite all his philosophical Chi musings, so is Shang-Chi. I think they see good qualities reflected in each other. Bravery, honesty, the will to stand up for what’s right, no matter the cost — despite the fact that neither of them has godlike powers, or can regenerate, or whatever.

I’ve said it many times — what makes characters interesting to me is how susceptible they are to threats. There’s a class difference with superheroes; you can either take a bullet to the head and survive, or you can’t. Both Spidey and Shang are firmly in the “can’t” category.

Nrama: Speaking of members of the New Avengers — Iron Fist is also in this series. How big of a role does he play? The Bride of Nine Spiders is also in the series, which is interesting, since the Immortal Iron Fist series was a natural tonal match for Shang-Chi. (And that series helped raise the profile of Iron Fist, like how Shang-Chi might be headed for a similar bump.)

Johnston: Iron Fist and The Bride of Nine Spiders are both major players in this story, you’ll be seeing plenty of them. I was a huge fan of the Immortal Iron Fist series, so I’m very happy to be writing them here.

I agree they’re a good fit with Shang-Chi, it surprises me we haven’t seen them working together more already. Maybe that’ll change...

Nrama: For this series, you're reuniting with artist Sebastián Fiumara, who you worked with several years ago on Alan Moore's Hypothetical Lizard. How has his art evolved since then? And why do the two of you seem drawn to stories with animals in the title?

Johnston: Our next book will be Squirrel Girl.

Seba’s come on leaps and bounds since we did Lizard, and frankly, he was no slouch back then. He’s just a great artist, a clear but imaginative storyteller, and his character designs are great. I love working with him.

Nrama: Outside of Shang-Chi, there isn't too vast of a history of kung fu in comic books, but there is certainly one in film — any particular titles that may have inspired you in the crafting of this series?

Johnston: I’m a fan of wuxia in general, so straight off I’ll watch anything directed by Tsui Hark, or with Yuen Woo-ping choreographing. Donnie Yen’s made some great movies in that vein, as has Jet Li (and they’re great opposite one another in Once Upon a Time in China II) but be warned, they’ve also made some pretty bad stuff which is only worth watching for the fights, like the Legend series.

And then there’s all the other Golden Harvest releases, and Chow Yun Fat’s occasional wuxia roles, the ’70s Bruce Lee classics... the point is, there’s no one particular movie that served as inspiration for this story. It’s just a general love of the martial arts genre, especially wuxia. And if anyone reading this wants to get into it, there’s plenty of stuff out there to choose from.

Nrama: Finally, I just wanted to ask if you're working on anything else you'd like to talk about — I think people familiar with solely your Marvel work may only know you from street-level crime books like Daredevil and Shadowland: Blood on the Streets, but your work first caught my attention with Three Days in Europe, which was pretty far removed from all that.

Johnston: Unfortunately, I can’t talk about the majority of things I’m working on right now. Another series for Marvel, a couple of videogames, and some graphic novels, are all ongoing at the moment, but I’m not allowed to discuss them yet.

If someone who liked my DD work wants to see what else I get up to, they’re probably in for a shock. Most of my work is very far removed from superheroes, like Wasteland (post-apocalypse), the Dead Space games (horror) or even the Alex Rider graphic novels (teen spy).

Even the one thing I can talk about, The Coldest City is different again — a Cold War espionage graphic novel by me and Sam Hart, due out next year through Oni Press.

But it’s all very "me," so of course I’d encourage readers to check all those books out! There’s more info about all my work on my website, antonyjohnston.com.
Deadly Hands of Kung Fu...now where have I heard that before? :rolleyes:
http://a1.l3-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/120/bd858ae364504e40991e849feafea73c/l.jpg

sanjuro_ronin
06-14-2011, 10:04 AM
Not sure if I am a fan of Shang having super powers....
I think that the whole Shang Chi story, set in a modern time, would be very cool.

Jimbo
06-22-2011, 02:54 PM
That Deadly Hands of Kung Fu cover brings back memories...I had probably every issue of that big B&W mag. The Shang-Chi stories in Deadly Hands fashioned him into a wandering modern-day Kwai Chang Caine, as opposed to the regular comic series. The first time Spiderman and Shang-Chi appeared together was in a special Spiderman issue back around the mid-1970s.

Why would they give everyone superpowers? Doesn't that kind of cancel out any advantage of having them?

I always preferred Shang-Chi over Iron Fist. Except for the Fu Manchu connection.

sanjuro_ronin
06-23-2011, 05:58 AM
That Deadly Hands of Kung Fu cover brings back memories...I had probably every issue of that big B&W mag. The Shang-Chi stories in Deadly Hands fashioned him into a wandering modern-day Kwai Chang Caine, as opposed to the regular comic series. The first time Spiderman and Shang-Chi appeared together was in a special Spiderman issue back around the mid-1970s.

Why would they give everyone superpowers? Doesn't that kind of cancel out any advantage of having them?

I always preferred Shang-Chi over Iron Fist. Except for the Fu Manchu connection.

Which B&W series is that?

Jimbo
06-23-2011, 09:46 AM
The Deadly Hands of Kung Fu. It was one of the larger comic mags that were all in B&W. Marvel had other B&W mags too, like The Savage Sword of Conan, Cracked (a Mad Magazine knockoff), Vampire Tales, etc., etc. Deadly Hands contained different stories, including Shang-Chi, Sons of the Tiger/The White Tiger, and others.

sanjuro_ronin
06-23-2011, 09:49 AM
The Deadly Hands of Kung Fu. It was one of the larger comic mags that were all in B&W. Marvel had other B&W mags too, like The Savage Sword of Conan, Cracked (a Mad Magazine knockoff), Vampire Tales, etc., etc. Deadly Hands contained different stories, including Shang-Chi, Sons of the Tiger/The White Tiger, and others.

It was an older one then? 80's ?

Jimbo
06-23-2011, 10:07 AM
Deadly Hands ran from approximately 1974 to '76 (I think) or '77 at the latest. I stopped collecting Marvels around '81 or so, and by then Deadly Hands was long-gone.

GeneChing
09-06-2011, 09:54 AM
Anyone pick it up yet?

Spider-Island: Deadly Hands of Kung Fu #1 (http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=user_review&id=3866)
by Ryan K. Lindsay, Reviewer |

http://www.comicbookresources.com/assets/images/covers/1315106303_cvr.jpg
Story by
Antony Johnston
Art by
Sebastian Fiumara, John Lucas
Colors by
Dan Brown
Letters by
Joe Sabino
Cover by
Sebastian Fiumara
Publisher
Marvel Comics

Cover Price
$2.99 (USD)
Release Date
Aug 31st, 2011

Sat, September 3rd, 2011 at 8:18PM (PDT)

This is a Shang-Chi comic, make no mistake about it. Though it might be tied to the Spider-Island event stemming from Marvel’s flagship character, this is an independently styled comic in almost every respect. Antony Johnston has touted this mini as something that completely stands alone and, as a reviewer who is not reading Spider-Island, I can attest to this autonomous vibe. This book is just a wacky kung fu mystery, and a **** good one at that.

Shang-Chi is not the most popular nor relevant character in the Marvel stable. A kung fu exploitation character who barely made it into the 80s, many fans state their love and yet still won’t vote with their wallets for a book headlining this master of the deadly arts. Maybe that’s because not all of the books featuring Shang-Chi have been any good. If that’s been holding you back then prepare to invest $2.99 this week because Johnston delivers one of the most enjoyable and believable Shang-Chi depictions ever. The captioned narrative doesn’t try to ape any sort of pulp noir or gritty comics; we are simply given access into Shang-Chi’s mind and the results are fantastic. This voice over catches people up on the basics of this character, it shows his connection to the main premise of the event tale, and then it takes this story forward in leaps and bounds. Shang-Chi finally reads like a real man and shows how he can carry an entire mini on his own back.

The heart of this tale isn’t Spider-Island-centric. It uses that premise to springboard into a darker mystery set within the parameters of New York. The motivations behind the Bride of Nine Spiders and her interaction with Iron Fist aren’t clear, but they make for great action set pieces. Johnston applies plenty of kung fu moves to his script. While it is a method stolen from the Matt Fraction/Ed Brubaker/David Aja run on “The Immortal Iron Fist,” it is very effectively used here. Johnston doesn’t try to go for the snarky cool moves of the previous title and instead delivers some very classically mystical sounding noun groups.

The art team of Sebastian Fiumara and John Lucas are astounding in these pages. There’s a kinetic rawness that feels like it would be more at home within an old “Deadly Hands of Kung Fu” anthology than gracing the pages of a Marvel event tie in, and that’s exactly why this works. The fighting pages are raw enough to hurt and clear enough to marvel at. Coupled with the sublime colors of Dan Brown, each impact of a foot to the face melts off the page with toxic glee. It is delightful to see Marvel experiment with allowing this sort of art in one of their books. It is a complete win to see the art then be such a success on all levels; small panels excel as well as one of the most glorious and powerful fight scene double page spreads in a long time.

For those with a gap in their heart for the great kung fu days of comics, this book is exactly what you need. The fights are worth the price of admission alone, but then Johnston weaves the hint of a story behind it that will have you coming back for more in 30 days. There’s murderous kung fu afoot and Immortal Weapons versus just one man (now with Spider powers) is going to make for one hell of a brawl. The mystical arts are back and they’re being told better than they have been in a long time.

sanjuro_ronin
09-06-2011, 09:58 AM
Its on my to do list, but just keep forgetting to do it, LOL !

@PLUGO
11-29-2011, 03:25 PM
Shang Chi makes a strong 1 issue come-back in the pages of Secret Avengers. Check out issue #18
http://media.comicvine.com/uploads/6/67397/2088869-18a_super.jpg

well written by Warren Ellis
and beautifully drawn by the amazing David Aja.

It's a self contained story which places Master of Kung Fu Shang-Chi along side the original Captain America and his team of Black Ops Avengers.

GeneChing
02-11-2014, 09:41 AM
Shang-Chi Strikes in Marvel's New DEADLY HANDS OF KUNG FU Series (http://www.newsarama.com/20285-shang-chi-strikes-in-marvel-s-new-deadly-hands-of-kung-fu-series.html)
by Chris Arrant, Newsarama ContributorDate: 11 February 2014 Time: 09:13 AM ET 551 151Reddit59Submit0

http://i.newsarama.com/images/i/000/122/979/i02/DHOKF2014001.jpg?1392128254
Deadly Hands of Kung Fu
CREDIT: Marvel Comics

Bruce Lee meets Jason Bourne.

In a world of superhuman, supernatural characters and cosmic enemies, one of the most dangerous men in the Marvel Universe is someone without any of those powers. Good thing Shang-Chi’s on our side.

This summer, Marvel will once again unleash Deadly Hands of Kung Fu as a four-issue series centered on the martial arts hero Shang-Chi as he follows a bloody trail of murder and mystery after the death of a former lover who worked for England’s MI-6. Shang-Chi has had a heightened profile in Marvel as of late, being recruited into Avengers in 2013 and fighting on the front lines in the summer event series Infinity. Shang-Chi is the key player in this month’s Avengers World, but in Deadly Hands of Kung Fu he’s going solo to avenge the death of a friend.

Writer Mike Benson is a long-time fan of Shang-Chi, the 1970s Deadly Hands of Kung Fu series and the larger kung fu genre in comics and films, and working on the Master of Kung Fu is something he’s been vying for since writing him in 2009 for the Marvel anthology Shang-Chi: Master of Kung Fu. After a brief hiatus from comics to focus on his film work like Entourage and several new series for HBO, Benson is back to bring Shang-Chi back into focus and for this four-issue story he’s partnering with Malaysian artist Tan Eng Huat. The 2002 Russ Manning award-winner has spent the past year drawing X-Men Legacy, but this new Deadly Hands of Kung Fu series offers the artist a change to return to his roots in Hong Kong action comics and do the type of series he’s never done before.

Newsarama: What can you tell us about this new Deadly Hands of Kung-Fu miniseries?

Mike Benson: Deadly Hands of Kung Fu is going to be a combination of the old 70’s title, which really was heavy on Bruce Lee, David Carradine and all those great Sunday afternoon Shaw Brother films mixed with a heavy helping of the Bourne films. That’s really the tone more than anything. The story’s jumping off point starts when someone from Shang-Chi’s past which he was close with was murdered. When Shang0Chi learns of her death, he is appropriately devastated and goes to the United Kingdom to pay his last respects. It is here that he gets drawn into a much larger scenario.

Tan Eng Huat: It’s always appealing to see ordinary people overcoming obstacles greater than normal.

Nrama: So who is Shang-Chi up against to get revenge and justice?

Benson: Shang-Chi does not go to the UK for revenge. He goes to pay his respects to someone he had strong feelings toward. However the people who killed this person expect Shang to react exactly in that way and so they actually fuel his fire even further. I wanted to really mix it up. Shang-Chi will go up against a few of his old classic enemies and a few new ones. Again, I’d rather not get too specific but one old baddie who will bare his head is Razor Fist. I wanted to populate Shang-Chi’s world with both smaller and larger characters from his past. We will see the Sons of the Tiger and the Daughters of the Dragon at different points throughout the miniseries with their own agendas.

Nrama: Sounds like it’s an informal reunion of the 1970s Deadly Hands of Kung Fu series and not just Shang-Chi. Can we look for any others from that great pulpy series to rear their head as well?

Benson: Yep, as I stated above, we will see a bunch of them. I collected Deadly Hands of Kung Fu as I did Master of Kung Fu. I’d marvel at the artwork. I always loved reading the mini stories about seemingly regular people who didn’t posses super =powers but just had an incredible skill set. That’s why I loved Bruce Lee films growing up so much. Aside from being the coolest guy to walk the planet, he was just a man who was a highly skilled martial artist but could be killed at any time. I would get the same type of rush from the Deadly Hands of Kung Fu magazine.

http://i.newsarama.com/images/i/000/117/390/i300/AVENWORLD2014003_Alessio.jpg?1384357362
Cover to Avengers World #3

Nrama: Shang-Chi has recently been appearing in the main Avengers books, even playing a role in Infinity. How would you describe his role at present in the Marvel universe?

Benson: I’d have to say as the cool, calm, collected kung fu butt kicker with a meditative, thoughtful side. Not too long ago, Ed Brubaker did a bang up job of Shang-Chi in Secret Avengers with an arc called: “Eyes of the Dragon.” I thought he really he really raised the bar.

Nrama: Mike, you’ve been away from comics on a regular basis since Deadpool Pulp ended in 2011. What were you doing in that absence, and what brought you back?

Benson: I’ve been away but I’ve never really been gone. Comics are something I truly love and when I heard about Deadly Hands Of Kung Fu I pitched on it a couple of times and one of my pitches seemed to resonate with my editor Jake Thomas and Editor-In-Chief Axel Alonso and when I heard I got the gig I was super excited. This is a dream job for me.

Nrama: What about you, Tan? What brought you to do this series?

Huat: In my many years of doing all sort of superhero characters and their superpowers, I’ve never come across a character like Shang-Chi. Simply said, I’ve never done anything kung fu related. [laughs] So the chance to do that made me very excited.

Nrama: You live in Malaysia, but I’m sure like Benson you had easy access to kung fu movies. How would you describe your awareness of the genre?

Huat: I grew up reading along of comics from Hong Kong, which are mostly martial arts types comics. And before I worked on American comics I worked as an assistant for a Hong Kong artist named ??Zho Sheng, so hopefully that will help. I love the intense line work and the fluidity of movement, so I will try to apply that into the story and character itself.

http://i.newsarama.com/images/i/000/117/391/i300/AVENWORLD2014003Morales.jpg?1384357369
Cover to Avengers World #3

Nrama: And its’ not like you haven’t worked with Shang-Chi in the past. Back in 2009 you wrote the excellent short story “Once Upon a Time In Wan Chai” for the one-shot Shang-Chi: Master of Kung Fu. What’s drawn you to this character not just once but now twice?

Benson: Like many kids I practiced martial arts (Kyokushinkai Karate) for 6 years and watched a ton of martial arts films. I have a lot of respect for anyone who practices any form of martial arts. So what draws me to Shang-Chi is probably some type of wish fulfillment. To be able to carry yourself with that type of inner peace is something I’ve always aspired.

Nrama: That earlier story was very evocative of 1970s kung-fu movie – is that a feel you’re going for here as well?

Benson: The 70’s are a very special time. I was just a kid but looking back, all my favorite films are from that era, both in American and Asian cinema. I love so much from that time period, music, style, dress, so to answer your question there will be for sure a 70’s influence. Alas....the 70s...:rolleyes:

@PLUGO
05-12-2014, 05:26 PM
Preview pages.

I'm not very impressed. I think the recent relaunch of IRON FIST (issue #2 is just out (http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=preview&id=21465)) works better, the kung fu art/action/choreography is much more enjoyable.

sanjuro_ronin
05-13-2014, 04:35 AM
Why does Shang look like a teenager?

GeneChing
02-03-2015, 11:27 AM
Exclusive: Haden Blackman Jumps into SECRET WARS with MASTER OF KUNG-FU (http://www.comicvine.com/articles/exclusive-haden-blackman-jumps-into-secret-wars-wi/1100-151191/)
by Tony 'G-Man' Guerrero on February 2, 2015
Prepare to take a trip to a K'un Lun you haven't seen before.

Secret Wars is coming and we're not quite sure what to expect. We have seen the big map Marvel has released and one of the regions is K'un Lun. It turns out it might not be the K'un Lun we're familiar with (an interactive map is HERE).

Marvel will be releasing a mini-series written by Haden Blackman, with art by Dalibor Talajić, focusing on Shang-Chi in the mystical land of K'un Lun. It's a place where everyone trains in the deadly arts. What happens if you don't quite meet the standards put in place?

We had the chance to talk to Blackman about this series. (Check out Francesco Francavilla's cover and Talajić's early concept sketches).

http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/ignore_jpg_scale_super/0/40/4368947-master_of_fu_tease_wm.jpg

COMIC VINE: How did you become attached to writing MASTER OF KUNG-FU?

HADEN BLACKMAN: After we knew that ELEKTRA would end with Issue 11, editor Sana Amanat asked me if I'd be interested in doing another project at Marvel, and pitched me on a martial arts themed book as part of Secret Wars. I've always loved the notion of the "multiverse," and the ways in which familiar characters can be re-envisioned -- as a kid, I consumed WHAT IF...?; EXILES remains one of my favorite series; and I still go back to reread AVENGERS FOREVER just for the battle at the end that incorporates hundreds of Avengers from multiple times and realities. There was no way I was going to pass up an opportunity to flesh out a new corner of the Marvel universe revolving around martial arts and the supernatural.

CV: What can you tell us about this version of K’un Lun?

HB: Life in K'un-Lun revolves around martial arts, and specifically the many different schools that train the populace, each of which focuses on different techniques. Mastering these techniques provides a wide range of powers and abilities -- from something familiar, like Iron Fist's ability to focus his chi to empower his attacks, to intangibility and even shape-shifting.

CV: Were you given any guidelines or just set loose to write what you wanted?

HB: I was provided with an overview of the Battleworld concept, and asked to avoid using a few specific characters, but in general I've had a great deal of freedom.

http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/ignore_jpg_scale_medium/0/40/4368948-2+master_kung_fu_characters_02.jpg

CV: Is it easier to write a world you get to make up compared to a version people are already familiar with?

HB: I wouldn't necessarily say "easier," but it does present different challenges. An established universe comes with its own set of rules, characters, and locations that are already known to most readers (and collaborators) so there's a certain short-hand that can be used, and less work required to set everything up. But, it means that, as a writer, you need to stay true to what has come before, which can be particularly challenging when trying to capture a character's voice. MASTER OF KUNG-FU is liberating in some ways because I can use a wide range of characters, many in new and different ways. But, I think it's still very important that I remain true to the core of those characters somehow.

CV: How does Shang-Chi compare to the version we’re familiar with?

HB: In many ways, Shang-Chi will be familiar -- he is the son of a great master, but has a very different moral compass than his father. Accused of murdering a master, Shang-Chi has been exiled from his father's school. In this world, anyone who is not affiliated with a school, who is not training to reach the peak of his or her abilities, is considered an outcast, the lowest caste in society. With nothing left to give him purpose, Shang-Chi has become a vagrant and a drunk.

http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/ignore_jpg_scale_super/0/40/4368951-1+master_kung_fu_characters_01.jpg

CV: If everyone in this world knows Kung-Fu, is there always a struggle to make yourself master the arts even more to become better than others?

HB: For most people in K'un-Lun, martial arts is like a religion, something they practice with varying degrees of fervor and dedication. The tenets of a student's school becomes his or her beliefs, guide the student through all aspects of life. Anyone who turns their back on training, or who is deemed unworthy to train for some reason, is a pariah.

For the great masters -- the men and women who run the schools -- mastery of martial arts could lead to great power. K'un-Lun is ruled by an Emperor selected every thirteen years through trial by combat, but only the schools' great masters compete in this tournament, so most spend their entire lives training for the event.

CV: How will superpowers fit into this world? Do those with powers have an advantage over others is mastering the arts?

HB: Mastering the arts is how one gains powers. In this reality, no one is born with powers, or gains them through a scientific experiment gone wrong. That doesn't mean that characters who are classified as mutants or accidents of science in the Earth-616 reality won't be show up in this series; but in our version of K'un-Lun, they have unlocked their special abilities through years of training. And because nearly everyone trains, the result is a whole kingdom full of metahumans.

CV: Will the X-Men play a big role in this series?

HB: The series really revolves around Shang-Chi and a few other well-known martial artists, including Elektra and Iron Fist. However, a number of other characters appear, and several could be considered "X-Men." Growing up, I never missed an issue of THE NEW MUTANTS, so expect to see a few of my favorite characters in the mix...

CV: Will Emperor Zu be the big bad guy here?

HB: Zheng Zu, Shang-Chi's father, doesn't see himself as a villain. He believes he is a just and decisive Emperor who has K'un-Lun's best interests in mind. Shang-Chi doesn't agree...

CV: How are your Kung-Fu skills? Did you find yourself doing more as you started mapping out the series?

HB: Terrible! My fighting skills are limited to video games. But I've been consuming martial arts movies since I was a teenager, so I'm mining some of my favorites for inspiration. And fortunately, Dalibor Talajic -- the artist on the series -- is a real student of martial arts, so I plan to rely heavily on him for ideas on the fight scenes.

MASTER OF KUNG-FU is on sale May 6, 2016.

"With nothing left to give him purpose, Shang-Chi has become a vagrant and a drunk.
" Ain't that the fate of so many Kung Fu masters? :p

GeneChing
02-27-2015, 09:43 AM
BLACKMAN TRAINS WITH A "MASTER OF KUNG FU" TO BATTLE "SECRET WARS" (http://www.comicbookresources.com/article/blackman-trains-with-a-master-of-kung-fu-to-battle-secret-wars)
Posted: 18 hours ago

http://www.comicbookresources.com/imgsrv/articles/0/0/1/HEADER-kungfu.jpg
Dave Richards, Staff Writer13

Some of the most intimidating Marvel Comics heroes don't need super powers to fight crime. Heroes like Shang-Chi, Iron Fist and Elektra have mastered their chosen forms of martial arts, achieving a level of perfect that they've unlocked techniques that endow them with seemingly super human abilities and become more than a match for many an evildoer.

This May, as the Marvel Universe becomes Battleworld as a result of "Secret Wars," these heroes will become embroiled in an entire world of martial arts-based incarnations of established Marvel characters. Who they fight alongside and against will be just one part of writer Haden Blackman and artist Dalibor Talajic's four-issue "Secret Wars" miniseries "Master of Kung-Fu," which takes readers to the Battleworld dominion of K'un Lun where rival kung fu schools clash and Shang-Chi is an outcast wanted for murder.

CBR News spoke with Blackman about Shang-Chi's journey across the series, the villainy of his father who serves as Emperor of K'un Lun, and the many martial arts incarnations of Marvel characters that play roles in the book.

CBR News: Haden, you're known for your work on "Elektra" and "Batwoman," two characters who are expert hand-to-hand combatants and whose fathers have loomed large in their lives for various reasons. With "Master of Kung Fu" you're telling a story focusing on another martial artist whose father played a large role in his life, Shang-Chi. Is this a coincidence or is there something you find especially intriguing about these types of characters?

Haden Blackman: Just luck, really. I definitely see some similarities -- all three have almost superhuman determination, which manifests in their ability to train relentlessly. But, beyond that, I think they are very different. Batwoman is motivated by a desire to serve. Elektra (at least in my run) is trying to find out who she really is, what lines she won't cross. And Shang-Chi is trying to prove himself to a father who will never accept him because their moral codes are so different.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/imgsrv/imglib/0/225/1/MasterofKungFu1-ecb99.jpg
Haden Blackman moves from "Elektra" to "Master of Kung Fu" during "Secret Wars"
Cover by Francesco Francavilla; EXCLUSIVE character designs by Dalibor Talajic

Shang-Chi's story in "Master of Kung-Fu" takes readers to "Secret Wars'" Battleworld, specifically the Dominion of K'un Lun. I know one of the ways this K'un Lun differs from the Marvel Universe one is there are a variety of martial arts schools that often endow their students with seemingly super human powers, but what else can you tell us about it? Do these schools all get along? Are some more powerful in society than others? And what kind of role does technology play in this world?

The schools' relationships vary. Some are bitter rivals, others are allies. The schools also have a pecking order. The most powerful and popular is the Ten Rings, whose Great Master is also the Emperor. Shang-Chi is also a student of the Ten Rings, though he has turned his back on the school's teachings. The Iron Fist school is highly-respected, while the Red Hand is feared; but both are allied with the Emperor and join in his hunt for Shang-Chi. Beyond that, there are a number of other schools, from the Panther Clan to the House of the Jade Tiger and the Spider Cult. The schools are so important that anyone who has not trained or has been drummed out of a school for whatever reason is considered a pariah; this is the Lowest Caste of society. Since this really is a supernatural martial arts epic, technology is limited, but the residents of K'un Lun don't need it...

We know when your story begins the Shang-Chi has become a societal outcast because he was accused of murdering a martial arts master. Exactly how far has he fallen? Who is already after him, and what is he thinking about the situation when "Master of Kung Fu" begins?

When the story opens, it's been a few years since Shang-Chi was tossed out of the Ten Rings and vanished into the slums of K'un Lun, where he has been trying to forget his past with the help of the bottle. No one expected him to ever resurface, but he's still a wanted killer; when he is recognized by students of the Ten Rings, the Emperor vows to hunt him down with the help of the Red Hand and the Iron Fist.

Is "Master of Kung-Fu" a redemption tale?

Shang-Chi claims that he wants to forget his past and turn his back on his father and his past completely. But, he hasn't left K'un Lun for a reason -- some part of him will always be seeking his father's approval, even if he won't admit it. The question is: Will he become his father in order to prove himself?

Let's move into supporting roles. Shang-Chi's father Zheng Zu is of course a prominent figure in "Master of Kung Fu," but instead of a criminal mastermind he's the Emperor of K'un Lun, correct? What can you tell us about Zheng Zu's rule when the series begins? Is he a tyrannical figure or beloved by his people?

http://www.comicbookresources.com/imgsrv/imglib/0/225/1/dailbor1-d07e5.jpg
Series artist Dalibor Talajic, a practicing martial artist, created these pages for Marvel to secure the gig

Zheng Zu is indeed the emperor of K'un Lun, a position he earned (and has defended multiple times) through a ritualized trial by combat. In the first issue, Shang-Chi reveals that whether Zheng Zu is a benevolent ruler or a despot really depends on who you are -- Zu has ushered in a golden age of prosperity, but the Ten Rings training is brutal and unforgiving. Most importantly, Zu's followers perpetuate the belief that the untrained should be eliminated.

What kind of roles will some of the other martial artists of K'un Lun play in "Master of Kung Fu?" Will Shang Chi have allies? Does the series eventually become an ensemble book or is pretty much Shang's story from start to finish?

There's a pretty large cast. Shang-Chi is definitely front and center, but he'll find a few very important allies and face off against former rivals and friends alike. I'm basically trying to integrate as many of my favorite characters as possible...

The preview art I've seen suggests we'll see new versions of Elektra and Iron Fist, but also a number of X-Men characters as well. Is this series in a sense "What If the Shaw Brothers Designed the Marvel Universe?" Which corners of the Marvel U are you mining for supporting characters and antagonists in this series?

All corners! I started with the Marvel Universe's most well-known martial artists, a list that (in my mind) always includes Kitty Pryde. Since K'un Lun society revolves around a number of different schools, I've been able to incorporate nearly any of these fighters -- there will be versions of Black Panther, Taskmaster, Typhoid Mary and others. But, there will also be some surprises...

You're designing the cast of "Master of Kung-Fu" with artist Dalibor Talajic, who I understand is a real martial arts practitioner. How much fun are you guys having designing these characters and this world? What's it like seeing Dalibor bring these characters to life?

http://www.comicbookresources.com/imgsrv/imglib/0/225/1/dalibor2-f1eb4.jpg
Blackman is enjoying Talajic's inventive panel layouts and designs

It's been a blast. I love world building, and we're hopefully creating a setting that can support an endless number of stories. We're really trying to push the richness of the kingdom, from the architecture to its history and traditions to its people. Dalibor has been doing an incredible job with all of that, and perhaps most importantly, with the characters themselves -- there's over a dozen in the first issue alone, and each is fantastically "familiar but new" -- a unique take on an existing character. Dalibor is also very inventive when it comes to the panel layouts and designs, which I think is really important to create the sense of place and history.

Finally, if fans take to "Master of Kung Fu" would you be interested in telling more adventures with Shang-Chi following "Secret Wars" and have you already begun thinking about them?

Absolutely. I think that K'un Lun itself lends itself to more stories, and I'd be keen to explore more of the schools, the characters, and some of the areas of the kingdom we only reference. And while Shang-Chi has a definite arc in this series, his journey is by no means complete -- if anything, the series ends with him poised for even more adventures and challenges.

I just want to thank all the fans of our run on "Elektra." Without their support and all the nice things they've said about that series, I might not have been given the opportunity to work on "Master of Kung-Fu." As with "Elektra," I'm treating every issue of this series as an audition for the next issue.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/imgsrv/imglib/0/200/1/characters-05-small-cf4f6.jpg
"Master of Kung Fu" character designs by Talajic
"Master of Kung Fu" #1 conquers Battleworld this May at Marvel Comics.

Emperor of K'un Lun :rolleyes:

curenado
02-27-2015, 11:11 AM
"Outcast wanted for murder"....shades of Kwai Chang caine?
I actually can't remember the deets from the comic about that. I loved it, but that's been years back.
The new look is a little....I like old Shang better.
Got to check out the movie regardless and spin offs at least once.
I guess lost, goofy white people should hold a feminist protest on behalf of chinese people who probably think it's cool too. Ahaha! Doubt the sisterhood and it's eunuchs will be able to ruin it for everybody, that was a popular comic.

GeneChing
04-06-2015, 10:40 AM
Visit Mysterious K’un-Lun in Marvel’s ‘Master of Kung Fu’ [Preview] (http://comicsalliance.com/marvel-master-of-kung-fu-preview/)
by Andrew Wheeler April 6, 2015 1:00 PM

Among the myriad worlds unveiled in Marvel’s Secret Wars this summer is one inspired by Tibetan mysticism, Chinese mythology, and Marvel’s very own mysterious fictional enclave of martial artist, K’un-Lun. Master of Kung-Fu by Haden Blackman and Dalibor Talajic offers a Shaw Brothers spin on the Marvel Universe, centered on Shang-Chi‘s fight with his evil wizard father, and introducing new versions of Kitty Pryde, Elektra, Iron Fist, and more.

Marvel has provided us with an exclusive unlettered four-page preview, which you can check out below. The preview offers a beautiful preview of the history of the battles that defined K’un-Lun, and introduces us to Shang-Chi at what looks like a pretty low ebb. To get a taste of the rest of the cast, check out the previously released character sketches for the series in the gallery above. Based on everything we’ve seen, it looks like a treat for the eyes; hopefully the fight scenes will be just as impressive!

http://wac.450f.edgecastcdn.net/80450F/comicsalliance.com/files/2015/04/mokf0101col-s1.jpg
http://wac.450f.edgecastcdn.net/80450F/comicsalliance.com/files/2015/04/mokf0102-3col-s1.jpg
http://wac.450f.edgecastcdn.net/80450F/comicsalliance.com/files/2015/04/mokf0104-s1.jpg
http://wac.450f.edgecastcdn.net/80450F/comicsalliance.com/files/2015/04/MASTER_OF_FU_1.jpg

I once practiced a Kun Lun sword form...I just mention that here to fulfill the character minimum...

GeneChing
09-25-2015, 09:49 AM
Master Of Kung Fu To Get Four Omnibuses, Beginning In 2016 (http://www.bleedingcool.com/2015/09/25/master-of-kung-fu-to-get-four-omnibuses-beginning-in-2016/)
Posted September 25, 2015 by Rich Johnston

http://cdn.bleedingcool.net/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/Master_of_Kung_Fu_71-228x350.jpg

Yesterday, at the Baltimore Diamond Retailer Summit, Marvel Comics committed to publishing the entirety of the Master Of Kung Fu in a series of four Omnibuses.

The series was created after Marvel failed to get the rights to the Kung Fu TV show, but did get the rights to the character Fu Manchu. So Marvel creates a comic book starring his son, Shang-Chi.

The series began in 1974 with issue 15 of Special Marvel Edition magazine by Steve Englehart and Jim Starlin before it was renamed to The Hands of Shang-Chi: Master of Kung Fu, gained massive popularity and ran until issue 125 in 1983.

And now it’s coming back to your bookshelf.

Cool. Maybe I can read it all now...;)

Jimbo
09-25-2015, 11:04 AM
I'll buy them. I have all the issues form back in the day, but they're in storage with all my other old comics. Hope they include the colors. The first couple years had good stories and art.

Another hard to find series from the 70s I'd like to see reprinted in volume(s) is Werewolf by Night. It didn't last long, but was mostly quite good.

boxerbilly
09-26-2015, 10:13 AM
I wonder if Marvel will ever make this a movie ?

boxerbilly
09-26-2015, 12:06 PM
I skimmed the threads and it seems bit of discussion as it being a film.

This is a bit old now. Maybe one day.
http://moviepilot.com/posts/2014/09/12/10-reasons-why-it-looks-like-we-ll-be-getting-a-shang-chi-master-of-kung-fu-film-soon-2256753?lt_source=external,manual

They may have a script- http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0366547/

sanjuro_ronin
09-28-2015, 04:47 AM
If only Donnie yen was younger...

Jimbo
09-28-2015, 07:37 AM
How about Philip Ng? IMO, he could make a good Shang Chi. He has plenty of experience in MA films, is likable onscreen, and his MA skills are more than up to the task. However, considering it's going to be a Hollywood film, they'd probably cast Taylor Lautner or another non-Asian to pass as Asian.

sanjuro_ronin
09-28-2015, 07:48 AM
How about Philip Ng? IMO, he could make a good Shang Chi. He has plenty of experience in MA films, is likable onscreen, and his MA skills are more than up to the task. However, considering it's going to be a Hollywood film, they'd probably cast Taylor Lautner or another non-Asian to pass as Asian.

I certainly hope not, there are many very good asian actors around.
Depending on the age they will go with, they can go with Philip Ng, or Rain ( from Ninja assassin) or Lee Byung-Han or some of these guys:
http://www.imdb.com/list/ls070413780/

Ian Anthony dale, Sung Kang, I mean there are quite a few.

Jimbo
09-28-2015, 08:10 AM
I
I certainly hope not, there are many very good asian actors around.
Depending on the age they will go with, they can go with Philip Ng, or Rain ( from Ninja assassin) or Lee Byung-Han or some of these guys:
http://www.imdb.com/list/ls070413780/

Ian Anthony dale, Sung Kang, I mean there are quite a few.

There are actually a lot of very good Asian male actors, not only overseas but here, too. I even knew a couple of other Asian guys who could really act. But it's extremely hard to be cast in decent roles, much less as the lead in a major Hollywood film. When I was into acting, I would hear time and again, from casting directors, agents, professional headshot photographers, and even other actors, that right now, the most highly sought-after commodity in Hollywood is Asian male actors, from young to middle age. But actually getting cast in anything is far more difficult than for actors in any other ethnic category. The only Asian males who get lots of work in Hollywood are those of Indian descent. Asian females are cast at a much higher rate, and there are many more roles available for them, so they're in a different category.

A number of Asian-American actors who have some cultural connection to their roots have relocated to Asian countries such as S. Korea, China/Hong Kong, Taiwan, the Philippines, Vietnam, even Japan (Kane Kosugi), etc., to pursue their acting careers.

I hope that if they do make a Shang Chi movie, they do the right thing and cast a truly deserving actor, not someone to 'pass' because they're more famous here, or seen as less of a risk.

mickey
09-28-2015, 06:29 PM
Greetings,

I think the Shang Chi character has a level of complexity that cannot be conveyed with the casting of one actor.

For the mature Shang Chi, I would have to go with either Lo De Hua or Robin Shou

For a late adolescent early '20's Shang Chi, I would go with Wu Jing.

I think the flashback stuff used in the TV series "Kung Fu" would work incredibly well; come to think of it, ?Shang Chi: Master of Kung Fu" would work incredible well as a TV series. I think we have a strong bench of Asian actors who can handle choreography better than those on Hong Kong. If the flashback thing was used, Donnie Yen would not be too old for the part.

mickey

boxerbilly
09-29-2015, 03:24 AM
Yeah, I sometimes forgot how old Donnie is getting. I just saw him in a Highlander movie the other day. It may have been his first Hollywood film ?

mickey
09-29-2015, 07:02 AM
Greetings,

Billy, I never saw the Highlander films as a Hollywood film given its filming location and its star lineup. I checked out the imdb and it seems that the Hollywood companies were only involved in distribution. That might have been a good thing for Donnie Yen.

mickey

Jimbo
09-29-2015, 07:42 AM
Donnie's first "Hollywood" film was either the Highlander film, or Blade II. Either way, Donnie's been in starring in movies since 1984, so he's old-school, albeit he came at the very end of Kung fu cinema's golden era. It's amazing that he didn't seem to hit megastardom until the first Ip Man movie (or possibly Sha Po Lang). Gotta admit, though, for a 52 year old, Donnie's aged more gracefully to this point than any other KF or action star before him, back problems and all. Maybe having not achieved megastardom until later in his career preserved him a bit?

As for Shang Chi, I don't see why one actor couldn't portray even a complex character. I highly doubt that a Shang Chi movie would be done in flashback from the perspective of an old Shang Chi. But IMO, if an actor is a good character actor, he should be able to portray Shang Chi at any adult age.

GeneChing
02-26-2016, 09:37 AM
I totally support this. :cool:

http://images-cdn.moviepilot.com/images/c_fill,h_458,w_640/t_mp_quality/d0xfcrta7p9wcarfqsp0/shang-chi-master-of-kung-fu-is-the-perfect-story-for-deadpool-2-with-bonus-hitler-kill-856285.jpg
Shang-Chi: Master Of Kung Fu Is The Perfect Story For 'Deadpool 2' (With Bonus Hitler Kills) (http://moviepilot.com/posts/3795651)
By Jack Carr ⋅ Posted on February 24th, 2016 at 11:26pm

Deadpool may have killed the Marvel universe, but there's one man who's yet to die at his sword, and his name is Shang-Chi: Master of Kung Fu.

It doesn't take a genius to work out where Shang-chi's talents lie, and a prior hook-up with Deadpool (not that kind of hook-up) makes him a great candidate for a supporting role in Deadpool 2.

If you're not a religious reader of Marvel's one-shot comics, you may have missed Shang-Chi: Master of Kung Fu #1. The 48-page issue from 2009 is entirely black and white, and includes four vignette stories, the first of which features our friendly neighborhood Deadpool.

http://images-cdn.moviepilot.com/images/c_limit,h_547,w_640/t_mp_quality/oh7dlae2ipkooq0hpd1u/shang-chi-master-of-kung-fu-is-the-perfect-story-for-deadpool-2-with-bonus-hitler-kill-856361.jpg

For the uninitiated, Shang-Chi is the Marvel martial artist who isn't Iron Fist. He has no superpowers whatsoever, but does sport an incredible response time that allows him to dodge bullets, while being the world's greatest living practitioner of kung fu. He's just a little bit awesome.

In the first of the four vignettes, Deadpool and Shang-chi are competing together in a cross-country motorcycle death race. Among their competitors are the Hitler Twins, who are exactly what they sound like...

http://images-cdn.moviepilot.com/images/c_limit,h_901,w_640/t_mp_quality/www0ekyvcp5s3gfinnjc/shang-chi-master-of-kung-fu-is-the-perfect-story-for-deadpool-2-with-bonus-hitler-kill-856394.jpg

The whole vignette is illustrated in black and white, in a style that reminds me of Sin City and the flashbacks in Kill Bill. Obviously I'm not suggesting there's enough material in this wacky drag race to sustain a whole movie, but as an intro or pre-credits sequence with no bearing on the main plot of the film, I would die for a Deadpool and Shang-Chi team-up.

The film's R-rating would also allow a lot of blood to be spilled in classic, pulpy martial arts style. Of course, it would be even more epic if Blade made a cameo (as played by Wesley Snipes — anyone else can suck it), but Marvel is clutching onto his rights like a newborn baby in his mother's bosom. Allow me to dream.

To summarize: If you want to see Deadpool kill Hitler, not once but twice, you should campaign with me for the Master of Kung Fu to get his Deadpool 2 on.

In case you've spent the last two weeks getting tortured by Ajax without wifi, Deadpool 2 is already confirmed to feature Cable. Unfortunately, he won't be played by Keira Knightley, but whatever. The movie is being directed again by Tim Miller and should release sometime in 2018.

GeneChing
03-07-2016, 10:06 AM
EXCLUSIVE: SHANG-CHI JOINING MARVEL'S IRON FIST (http://mcuexchange.com/exclusive-shang-chi-joining-marvels-iron-fist/)
MARCH 04, 2016 CHRIS NELSON

http://mcuexchange.com/content/images/2016/03/sc--1--png.jpeg

After a tumultuous response to the casting of Finn Jones as Danny Rand in the upcoming Iron Fist series, Marvel could really use a new notch in their diversity belt. Luckily, MCUExchange and That Hashtag Show can independently confirm that Marvel and Netflix are in the midst of casting Shang-Chi for Iron Fist - which we're told is set to begin production in April.

Additionally, in case anyone had concerns, they are exclusively auditioning males of Asian descent. You can watch That Hashtag Show's Report below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPqr1Pru918

So, just who is Shang-Chi? Our own Jeremiah Peace summed him up pretty well in his own One-Shot last week(which also included some cool fan casting ideas):

The son of 70's pulp Kung Fu villain Fu Manchu, a character to whom Marvel acquired the rights, Shang-Chi has worked with British Intelligence as an agent of MI-6 and alongside Luke Cage and Danny Rand as a hero for hire. More recently he has been an Avenger and, interestingly enough, a significant part of the Shadowland arc that many people are anticipating will be adapted to the Netflix series.
Additionally, That Hashtag Show is told that if the reception is positive, there is a possibility that he could be getting his own Netflix series.

What are your thoughts on his inclusion in the show? Who would you like to see play the role? Sound off in the comments below. And as always, for all things Iron Fist be sure to follow along here.

Didn't copy their Iron Fist link, but I'll copy ours here (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?49086-Iron-Fist). ;)

GeneChing
10-10-2016, 10:27 AM
...a white lead? :p

#Marvel
What A Shang-Chi Movie Could Learn From 'Mad Max: Fury Road' (http://moviepilot.com/p/what-a-shang-chi-movie-could-learn-from-mad-max/4115340)
October 10, 2016 at 01:06PM

https://images.moviepilot.com/image/upload/c_fill,h_470,q_auto:good,w_620/zknpqr9wgya4lbakwujf.jpg

Posted by Steven Brinn @DouchebagBatman
Covering action movies, horror and assorted other wackiness.

Between Marvel Studios, the Fox-licensed properties, and DC Films, it can feel like there are too many comic book movies in theaters. It is easy to forget that this wasn’t the case just a few years ago. In fact, before the comic movie boom, Marvel had a hard time getting anything off the ground. The stories of James Cameron's Spider-Man and Roger Corman's Fantastic Four are the stuff of legend at this point. One of the ideas to languish in development hell the longest has been Hands of Kung Fu, Shang-Chi.

First announced in 2001, it was to be directed by Blade director Stephen Norrington. Despite high hopes, the project wouldn't get past pre-production. There wouldn't be rumblings about the movie until 2005, when Marvel made a deal with Paramount Pictures to work on several films. Not only did they announce the movie, but that a dream team of Hulk's Ang Lee and Fist of Legend director Yuen Woo-Ping were working on the film. Even with these two legends of Chinese action behind the scenes the project never got off the ground.

As unlikely as it may seem, there is still hope for the film. Plenty of films have made it out of film purgatory over the years, such as Deadpool, Watchmen and Freddy vs Jason. One of the most successful — both financially and critically — was the Academy Award-winning Mad Max: Fury Road. In fact, there is quite a bit that Marvel could learn from it if they want to make a Shang-Chi movie.

Who Is Shang-Chi Exactly?

https://images.moviepilot.com/image/upload/c_limit,h_1000,q_auto,w_710/yb3cf8bcvkchh2euq1rz.jpg

Conceived in late 1972, Shang-Chi was originally pitched as a comic based on the TV show Kung Fu. When Time Warner denied Marvel the use of their show they created their own character, Shang-Chi. Making his debut in 1973's Special Marvel Edition #15, the secret son of Yellow Peril villain Fu Manchu (later renamed Zheng Zu) would turn on his father and try to take down his criminal empire.

Debuting around the time Bruce Lee exploded in the United States, Shang-Chi would become so popular that the character would get his own series lasting more than 100 issues. Since then he has become a bit of a cult favorite, teaming up with the likes of Spider-Man, Wolverine and even became an honorary Avenger.

With such a great history it is easy to see why a movie based on "the Master of Kung Fu" is always considered. While seemingly the opposite of Mad Max: Fury Road, there is a lot Marvel can learn from the Australian blockbuster if they wish to do a Shang-Chi movie right.

You Need The Right Creative Team

https://images.moviepilot.com/image/upload/c_limit,h_1000,q_auto,w_710/wifpbcn1unj0f3mdmzyv.jpg

Re-acquiring the rights to Mad Max in 1995, it would take director George Miller nearly 20 years to complete the film. From natural disaster to actors blacklisting themselves, Miller would encounter every road block imaginable. It was seemingly the ultimate case of everything that could go wrong would go wrong. Despite these pitfalls, Miller was devoted to the film and it shows in the final product. This is the kind of dedication a cult comic character like Shang-Chi needs to succeed in the big screen.

Without a doubt, Ang Lee and Yuen Woo-Ping is an amazing team to have for any martial arts movie. However, with their careers so busy could they dedicate the time needed for a Marvel film? Would they try to tamper too much with the character like the early Marvel movies? As obvious as it may sound, a dedicated crew is a big factor when it comes to making a killer movie. It is easy to tell which directors truly enjoy the comics and which are there for a paycheck.

Be More Than An Origin Story

https://images.moviepilot.com/image/upload/c_limit,h_1000,q_auto,w_710/ao3iovmhppvkzswoiipw.jpg

Going into the movie, Fury Road looked like a typical action reboot. It was just another take on the post-apocalypse wasteland. Nobody could have predicted that a movie where someone played a guitar that shot fire would be a surprisingly effective film about the importance of family, home and feminism; a film that would appeal to both the casual audience and film academics.

Similarly, martial arts movies have a history of telling deeper stories through the fighting. From the strong female characters in films like Come Drink With Me and 14 Amazons to the anti-Imperialism thread that runs through the Ip Man series, the best kung fu movies have always been more than just a collection of fight scenes. In fact, a predominantly Asian cast would be a huge statement by itself. Racial politics in film are more important than ever before and building a franchise around an Asian-American would be a massive leap forward for equality in Hollywood. It would certainly go far in dispelling the notion that there is a lack of diversity in the Marvel Cinematic Universe. It may even prove to executives that Eastern voices are worth investing in. In a world where superhero movies can easily become formulaic, a Shang-Chi movie has the unique opportunity to say things no superhero movies can.

Good Action Scenes Are Key

https://images.moviepilot.com/image/upload/c_limit,h_1000,q_auto,w_710/hlc4nzx4gsnbj5zhbavm.jpg

Above all else, what made Mad Max: Fury Road a hit with audiences was the stellar action. In true Ozploitation fashion, it uses the vast Australian landscape to its advantage, staging elaborate and exhilarating chase scenes; each scene building on one another before rolling into one of the most chaotic chase scenes in film history. Beautifully shot, Fury Road also did a brilliant job blending practical effects and CGI. As crazy as it sounds, Shang-Chi has the potential to not only be as good as Fury Road, but maybe even top it.

Although martial arts movies are always popular for the past few years, we have seen a renaissance of sorts within the genre. From the traditional martial arts featured in Kung Fu Jungle to the bone-crunching battles of The Raid, fight choreography is better than it has ever been. A Shang-Chi movie is the perfect place to showcase any number of talented fight choreographers from all over the world. With the character requiring few, if any, special effects and a focus on martial arts, a Shang-Chi movie has the potential to be one of the best and most unique US action movies in years.

Rise Of The Legend

https://images.moviepilot.com/image/upload/c_limit,h_1000,q_auto,w_710/ddbxg9ap0mkca9tt8lvg.jpg

Even though a movie seems unlikely at this point, there is still hope for the Master of Kung Fu. There have been rumors of Shang-Chi making an appearance in the Iron Fist Netflix series. I’ve even read that it could be a backdoor pilot for Shang-Chi to have his own Netflix series. As cool as that is, a Hands of Kung Fu: Shang-Chi as a full-fledged movie may be Marvel's greatest cinematic "What if."

sanjuro_ronin
10-11-2016, 07:32 AM
This would make an ideal NetFlix series and an almost all-Asian cast would be excellent.
Personally, I would love for them to follow the original origins story somehow.

Jimbo
10-11-2016, 08:04 AM
I can't fully agree with that article about fight choreography being better than it has ever been. There has been some great choreography in recent years, but there was so much more great choreography back in the day. I guess it depends on what you consider 'better' choreography. There is camparatively little coming out today than in decades past, so what does stand out, stands out far more. IMO, most people who say that today's MA movies are the best ever are mostly millennials whose only exposure to old-school MA movies were the Bruce Lee movies, Jackie Chan's Brett Ratner-directed movies, Jet Li's later fantasy-themed movies, CTHD, and possibly limited exposure to bits of pre-1974 'basher-style' Hong Kong movies. Okay, Brett Ratner's JC movies, Jet's later fantasy films and CTHD are not old school, but to many millennials they would be considered as such.

@PLUGO
10-26-2016, 02:01 PM
I saw an article somewhere mentioning Netflix wanting to tap the creators of The Raid for a Shang Chi mini-series.

GeneChing
08-17-2017, 07:38 AM
SHANG-CHI "MASTER of KUNG FU" (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?40472-SHANG-CHI-quot-MASTER-of-KUNG-FU-quot) by CM Punk (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?69298-CM-Punk)

http://www.syfy.com/sites/syfy/files/styles/1140x640/public/2017/08/shangchi.jpg?itok=SmWaiel7

EXCLUSIVE: MEET THE CREATIVE TEAM BEHIND THE NEW MASTER OF KUNG FU MARVEL LEGACY TITLE (http://www.syfy.com/syfywire/exclusive-meet-the-creative-team-behind-the-new-master-of-kung-fu-marvel-legacy-title)
Contributed by Mike Avila
@MikeAvila
a day ago

The most skilled martial artist in the Marvel Universe, Shang Chi, is back headlining his own comic.

SYFY WIRE is happy to give you the FIRST LOOK at the cover to the brand new Master of Kung Fu one-shot, drawn by all-star artist Mike Mayhew.

http://www.syfy.com/sites/syfy/files/styles/700xauto/public/MOKFU2017126_FOC.jpg?itok=2x741QrA

You'll notice the issue number is #126. The original Bronze Age MOKF series ended its run with issue #125, and since the Marvel Legacy initiative is all about connecting the publisher's past with its present and future, the numbering will fall in line with the earlier series. The one-shot hits comics shops in November.

That's not the only news we have to break here regarding Legacy. We can also reveal the creative team behind Shang-Chi's star turn. WWE legend CM Punk will be scripting the book, alongside artist Dalibor Talajic. The former wrestling champ, whose real name is Phillip Jack Brooks, is no stranger to comics. He wrote the Drax ongoing series for Marvel, which lasted for 11 issues. The Croatian-born Talajic has penciled all manner of Marvel books, including the Secret Wars: Master of Kung Fu ancillary series. He's particularly jazzed to tackle Shang-Chi on an ongoing basis. Talajic is hard at work right now on the book, but he was kind enought to let us hit him up for three quick questions.

MOKF is an iconic title for Bronze Age Marvel fans. Were you both familiar with Shang-Chi and his earlier series before you got the gig? How did you get the assignment, exactly?

Dalibor Talajic: I grew up on Shang Chi! I am a huge fan of Bruce Lee, so naturally I adore Shang Chi as well. I love both Gulacy and Zeck stuff. Gulacy treated Shang Cji like a noir book, while Zeck made it very impressive in fight scenes. I had my dream come true some two years ago when I did the Master of Kung Fu mini with Haden Blackman. The editor on this project, Kathleen Wisnecky, knows me from that time, so I hope she was pleased with what we did back then and she called me back.

http://www.syfy.com/sites/syfy/files/styles/1100xauto/public/mokf.png?itok=p2s99M92

Is he going to be wearing the classic red jumpsuit?

I don't know yet, depends on the story I guess. But intimately, I hope he wears his classic kimono suit. A bit modified -- the '70s are gone -- but yeah ... I'd go for kimono anytime. But we'll see ...

Can we expect some crazy fight scenes depicted in your artwork? Safe to assume this will be an action-packed comic?

Well ... I myself was a kung fu practitioner. So if there are going to be fight scenes, you can expect them to be quite grounded in something that's persuasive, not just random kicks. If you browse through the books I did so far, I always try to make my action scenes fluid and forceful. Over the top sometimes, yes, but fluid. And since it's Shang Chi we're talking about ... He IS the greatest fighter there is -- so yes, you can expect some seriously spectacular stuff.

**Editor's Note: This story has been clarified to note that MOKF is a One-Shot comic, not an ongoing series**

Here is the full solicit for Master of Kung Fu #126:

The Marvel Universe is full of fighters: brawlers, scrappers, weapons experts, mystical kung fu virtuosi. But there’s only one martial artist skilled enough to be called the greatest. SHANG-CHI has been a pinch hitter for a long time, stepping in for Avengers missions when no one else would do, but when no one can match your speed or skill, sometimes it’s best to work alone. To see what you’ve been missing if you don’t know Shang-Chi, don’t miss MASTER OF KUNG FU!

sanjuro_ronin
08-18-2017, 04:28 AM
Little know fact:
When Doug Moench ( Sp?) took over from Mike Zeck, lots of the moves were from a magazine called "Martial arts movies" from the 80's.
You could actually see the very same moves form some of the pics being done by Shang-chi.

GeneChing
10-25-2017, 10:11 AM
Maybe CM Punk has found his niche?

SHANG-CHI UNLEASHED: A MASTER OF KUNG FU SKETCHBOOK (https://news.marvel.com/comics/79157/shang-chi-unleashed-master-kung-fu-sketchbook/)
Published Oct 24, 2017 By Tj Dietsch

https://a.dilcdn.com/bl/wp-content/uploads/sites/28/2017/10/mof_post_master.jpg

Dalibor Talajić and CM Punk give the martial arts hero a wild day off!

Even a true leader in his field needs a break. Of course, when someone throws on the sweats and hopes to relax, any number of problems can come up. For you and I, thought might mean a plumbing issue or noisy neighbors—but we’re not Shang-Chi!

With MASTER OF KUNG FU #126, writer CM Punk and artist Dalibor Talajić take Shang-Chi from lounger to fighter in one issue. For his part, Talajić drew on previous incarnations of the ferocious fighting hero to help give this more out-there tale a firm base.

We talked with the artist about balancing the wild tone of the story with more grounded art, working with Punk, and taking inspiration from artists like Paul Gulacy and Mike Zeck.

Marvel.com: In the wake of his initial series, Shang-Chi’s been a guest star and team player for the most part. Why do you think it’s important to showcase him in his own book like this?

Dalibor Talajić: Well, times do change. His initial series was during the “Enter The Dragon” Bruce Lee era. And even though Bruce Lee is still considered the king of the martial arts realm, his time did pass. I guess Shang had to redefine himself and find his place under the sun anew.

His own book was also a team book, so naturally various comic book teams wanted to place him within a [group]. So, yes I do believe it is important to give him a chance to breathe on his own—so to speak—even in a story like this, where circumstances are almost ridiculous, one might say to see him on his off side.

Marvel.com: Shang’s always been tough, but in the last few years he’s proven himself on a larger scale by working with the Avengers. Has that changed how he handles himself at all?

Dalibor Talajić: Well, I guess his self-confidence in what he does better than anyone is what places him among the heavy hitters. True, he has no special powers, but his focus, his stamina, and [his] philosophical depth make him a genuine super human.

Yet his philosophical depth is what keeps him constantly questioning both his actions and himself, and thus keeps him down to earth. He won’t allow himself any arrogance. But all these features combined open the doors for his endless growth as a character. This is something that reflects our own lives: the possibility of growth that only needs to be noticed by us. This is why I love this character; he is closest to us, to the best in us.

https://news.marvel.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/28/2017/10/MOKFU2017126003.jpg
https://news.marvel.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/28/2017/10/MOKFU2017126003_sm.jpg
https://news.marvel.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/28/2017/10/MOKFU2017126004.jpg
https://news.marvel.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/28/2017/10/MOKFU2017126004_sm.jpg
https://news.marvel.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/28/2017/10/SCL0116WEB.jpg

Marvel.com: What was it like figuring out his look for this series?

Dalibor Talajić: Well, given the nature of the story, I imagined him in his sweatshirt and stuff. You know Sunday afternoon stuff that you wear while watching TV and having a nap. The circumstances take him off guard and he stays dressed like that all the way through. He even loses his sneakers at some point. Here and there, through flashbacks, I would nod to Bruce Lee’s famous yellow jump suit. Or the fact that he ends up topless. But the idea was the everyday Joe looks. As I’ve said—one of us.

Marvel.com: Overall, how’s it been working with CM Punk on this project?

Dalibor Talajić: Well, fun! CM writes very funny dialogue. But the story is a slippery slope. In it’s essence it’s so pulpy that it’s close to ridiculous so I had to be very careful to keep it balanced. If I was leaning to a stronger stylization, as the story might trick you into, it would end up like a flat out crazy cartoon. Instead, I went for “realism” so that ridiculous part would serve as a crazy Bond-like villain comedy.

Marvel.com: How has it been digging into Shang-Chi’s history with this story? Are you looking back at a lot of his other comics for reference or possibly other mediums?

Dalibor Talajić: That was a difficult task. Because initially Shang-Chi is a serious character. So was the art depicting it. [Paul] Gulacy was treating him with an almost noir atmosphere, while I don’t think is possible to make him more badass than [Mike] Zeck did. Even I treated him seriously a few years back in [the] MASTER OF KUNG FU [limited] series. There, I wanted to mimic classic flashy Hong Kong action films.

So I guess I tried to combine all of that a bit and hopefully blend it into something that honors all those beautiful incarnations of the character that were already there long before me. I can only hope I did Shang-Chi justice.

CM Punk and Dalibor Talajić give Shang-Chi a less-than-relaxing day off in MASTER OF KUNG FU #126 on November 8!

GeneChing
12-03-2018, 02:35 PM
This will need its own thread when a title is announced. For now, I'm just posting this on SHANG-CHI "MASTER of KUNG FU" (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?40472) & Which actors would do justice to Shang Chi in a movie (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?8550-Which-actors-would-do-justice-to-Shang-Chi-in-a-movie)?

DECEMBER 03, 2018 10:04am PT by Mia Galuppo , Graeme McMillan
Marvel Developing Shang-Chi Movie with 'Wonder Woman 1984' Writer (https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/marvel-developing-shang-chi-movie-as-first-asian-lead-1165752)

https://cdn1.thr.com/sites/default/files/imagecache/scale_crop_768_433/2018/12/gettyimages-859609996-h_2018.jpg
Matt Winkelmeyer/Getty Images
Dave Callaham

Dave Callaham is penning the film, which would be the studio's first to focus on a superhero of Asian descent.

Marvel Studios is developing a new feature that will center on hero Shang-Chi in a project that would act as the superhero studio's first stand-alone movie with an Asian lead.

Dave Callaham will pen the screenplay, The Hollywood Reporter has confirmed. A director is not yet attached.

Shang-Chi — or, as Marvel refers to him, the Master of Kung Fu — debuted in 1973’s Special Marvel Edition No. 15, created by Steve Englehart and Thanos creator Jim Starlin after an attempt to acquire the comic book rights to the television series Kung Fu fell through. The son of infamous pulp villain Fu Manchu, Shang-Chi was trained as a martial artist assassin by his father, only to rebel against him and become a superhero instead. The character was a massive success through the 1970s, and was recently revived as a member of the Avengers during 2012’s Marvel Now! Publishing event.

Callaham is no stranger to the superhero genre, having helped to pen Warner Bros. and DC's upcoming Wonder Woman sequel, Wonder Woman 1984. His credits also include The Expendables franchise and Sony's upcoming Zombieland 2. He is repped by UTA and Kaplan Perrone.

The Shang-Chi news comes as Hollywood is embracing projects with Asian leads following the success of Warner Bros.' Crazy Rich Asians, which pulled in more than $236 million at the global box office. Warners’ film arm New Line has picked up China-set romantic comedy Singles Day, based on a spec by Lillian Yu. Last week it was announced that Crazy Rich star Awkwafina created and will star in a Comedy Central series based on her own life.

GeneChing
12-05-2018, 09:42 AM
Like I said on the Black Panther thread "Because all minorities are the same?" (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?70307-Black-Panther&p=1310184#post1310184) Why does Shang-Chi (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?40472-SHANG-CHI-quot-MASTER-of-KUNG-FU-quot) gotta be in the Wakanda wake? Why can't it just be the first in a new franchise?

DECEMBER 04, 2018 11:33am PT by Richard Newby
How 'Shang-Chi' Could Be Marvel's Next 'Black Panther' (https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/how-shang-chi-could-be-marvels-next-black-panther-1166159)

https://cdn1.thr.com/sites/default/files/imagecache/scale_crop_768_433/2018/12/bruce_lee_and_shang-chi_marvel_split-h_2018.jpg
Bryanston Distributing/Photofest; Courtesy of Marvel
Marvel's Shang-Chi (right) was modeled after Bruce Lee.

The studio is focusing on increased representation as its mysterious post-'Avengers 4' plans come into focus.
Even though we may still be waiting on the title and first footage for Avengers 4, Marvel Studios’ plans for its future are becoming increasingly clear. Phase 4, or whatever this next iteration of the Marvel Cinematic Universe ends up being called, is shaping up to run quite the gamut of characters, locations, and time periods with Black Widow and The Eternals set for their own films, while sequels featuring characters Spider-Man and Black Panther are also in development. Monday, an unexpected but welcome addition was added to the roster: Shang-Chi, the oft-labeled Master of Kung-Fu.

Marvel Studios head Kevin Feige has discussed his desire for increased representation in Marvel’s films going forward, not just in front of the camera but behind it as well. With Anna Boden co-directing Captain Marvel alongside partner Ryan Fleck, Chloe Zhao taking on The Eternals, Cate Shortland delving into Black Widow’s past, and Ryan Coogler returning to direct the sequel to Black Panther, the future of the Marvel Cinematic Universe is shaping up to be a space for voices and visions the industry desperately needs more of. Coupled with the Peter Ramsey co-directed, Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse at Sony, James Wan’s Aquaman and Cathy Yan’s upcoming Birds of Prey (And the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn) at Warner Bros., it’s clear that the future of superhero movies will no longer be dominated by white male voices. This doesn’t just mean new opportunities for filmmakers, but new stories that can change how we perceive the ever-popular mythology of superheroes.

https://cdn1.thr.com/sites/default/files/2018/05/black_panther_2018_24_copy.jpg
Photofest
Michael B. Jordan in Black Panther.

The news broke Monday that the character Shang-Chi is on the fast-track for a film with Chinese-American screenwriter Dave Callaham (Wonder Woman 1984, Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse 2 ) on script duties. While Shang-Chi might be largely unknown, even amongst comic readers, the character is primed to break out in a way similar to Black Panther earlier this year. Marvel is searching for Asian and Asian-American filmmakers to helm the feature in the effort to make sure the film offers a perspective on Asian identity, something Hollywood is coming to realize the importance of and desire for, following this summer’s breakout hit Crazy Rich Asians. Despite his lack of recognition, Shang-Chi has been a key player in Marvel Comics with a rich, though often trope-defined history, that is ready to receive a new perspective just as illuminating and unique as any to come out of Wakanda.

Created by Steve Englehart and Jim Starlin, Shang-Chi first debuted in Special Marvel Edition No. 15 in 1973. His existence actually came about because Marvel Comics couldn’t get their hands on another popular property: the Warner Bros.-owned television show Kung Fu starring David Carradine. Ultimately, this ended up for the better as Marvel was able to create an original Chinese character, rather than utilizing a white dude playing at being Asian. Shang-Chi proved to be popular, largely because of the increased distribution of kung fu movies in American cinemas. Modeled after Bruce Lee, Shang-Chi became an unofficial means to continue the legacy of the martial arts icon. In 1974, Special Marvel Edition changed its name to The Hands of Shang-Chi: Master of Kung Fu to capitalize on the increased appeal of the character. While Shang-Chi’s reign was short, and his series ended in 1983, his team-ups with Iron Fist, Daughters of the Dragon, Heroes for Hire, Man-Thing, and Spider-Man cemented his place in Marvel’s history.

Despite good intentions and attempts to honor the legacy of martial arts films like The Big Boss (1971) and Enter the Dragon (1973), Shang-Chi’s appearances in the '70s and '80s relied on archetypes and troubling depictions. When Marvel couldn’t acquire the rights to Kung Fu, they instead bought the rights to Sax Rohmer’s pulp villain Dr. Fu Manchu and made Shang-Chi his honorable son. As a result, the history of Shang-Chi is also a history of one of pop-culture’s most controversial figures, one that relies on “Yellow Peril” and Asian-centric xenophobia spurned by World War II. Recent Shang-Chi appearances in the 21st century have retconned the Fu Manchu connection, possibly due to a loss of rights, and have instead made Shang-Chi the son of an ancient Chinese sorcerer Zheng Zu. As to whether this change was any better is a discussion best left to Asian-American voices.

Despite a dated history, Shang-Chi has evolved over the decades, though intermittently used and his evolution hasn’t taken him as far as it should have. While his powers have evolved beyond kung fu mastery to the ability to create duplicates of himself, and he’s helped heroes like Spider-Man refine their skillsets, and even joined the Avengers for a time, he still feels like something of a relic belonging to just a screen over from Blaxploitation films. Marvel was able to re-envision a character with a similar dated appeal with Luke Cage on Netflix. Thanks to Brian Michael Bendis’ Alias and New Avengers run, Luke Cage had once again returned to prominence among comic readers. But the series further eliminated some of the thug-life tropes that made him a black folk hero for our modern times, placing him within the context of contemporary race relations rather than the fantasy just outside of it. Shang-Chi felt deserving of a similar chance to shine on Netflix, especially following the controversy of Iron Fist, until it became clear Netflix and Marvel's relationship is winding down. But, it speaks volumes about Marvel’s plans for the character given that it is perusing a feature film for Shang-Chi, rather than a series on Disney+. Marvel wants to get as many eyes on Shang-Chi as possible, and that can only be a good thing.

https://cdn1.thr.com/sites/default/files/2016/09/luke_cage_still.jpg
Courtesy of Netflix
Mike Colter in Luke Cage.

With Monday's news came a number of social media opinions that the film should be Marvel’s PG-13 take on The Raid (2011) or The Night Comes for Us (2018). As awesome as those films are, and as important as fight scenes will inevitably be to the film, we’ve had plenty of Asian action heroes who are cooler than cool, but few we’ve gotten to know as characters in the same way we know the plights of white action heroes like John McClane, Rambo, or Ethan Hunt. Shang-Chi is an opportunity to depart from the Asian martial artist as the sleek, unphased fighting machine, and instead our chance to get to know a distinct and highly-skilled character faced with challenging the perception pop-culture has so often attached to the Asian hero. Shang-Chi can be so much more than Marvel’s Bruce Lee.

There are Asian-American writers who can better speak to their hopes for the Shang-Chi movie and the kinds of trials and triumphs they’d love to see reflected from their own experiences. But as a black writer, I can speak to the fact that Black Panther illuminated concepts I never thought I’d see in a superhero film. From the feeling of being separate from Africa, to the importance of black women, and Killmonger’s plight, Black Panther is so clearly a film driven from the black perspective. It’s a film that allowed its titular character to become more than a stoic paladin, and instead become an actual character faced with authentic challenges and a place in the world that all audiences could learn from if they listened. I want Shang-Chi to be that for Asian and Asian-American audiences. I want Shang-Chi to be that for all audiences who are willing to listen to a story that offers more than kung fu – a story that will undoubtedly shape our next decade of comic book films and the people hired to tell them.

GeneChing
12-06-2018, 08:48 AM
"Shang-Chi movie in the works!" (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?71109-Shang-Chi-movie-in-the-works!) needs its own indie thread, distinct from our general SHANG-CHI "MASTER of KUNG FU" (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?40472-SHANG-CHI-quot-MASTER-of-KUNG-FU-quot) thread, which is already 5 pages deep.

Casting Shang-Chi In The MCU (https://screenrant.com/shang-chi-mcu-casting/)
BY COOPER HOOD – ON DEC 04, 2018 IN SR ORIGINALS

https://static3.srcdn.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2018/12/Shang-Chi-Casting-Steven-Yeun-Lewis-Tan.jpg?q=50&fit=crop&w=798&h=407

Marvel Studios will soon be in the casting process for Shang-Chi, so here are some names they should consider. Kevin Feige is pulling the Master of Kung Fu out of development and is now fast-tracking what could be the first Asian-led superhero movie. The Shang-Chi movie just took a major step forward with David Callaham writing the script.

Shang-Chi was created by Steve Englehart and Jim Starlin in the early 1970s as one of the greatest martial artists in the world. Commonly known as the Master of Kung Fu, Shang-Chi was modeled after Bruce Lee. Shang-Chi isn't a stern warrior though, with his humor and playfulness also being a main component to his character. But, this doesn't mean he's totally lighthearted either, as he was raised to be a deadly assassin by his super villain father Fu Manchu. The character was originally set to be introduced on the big screen much earlier on, as Shang-Chi was among a variety of projects initially announced by Marvel Studios in 2005. There has been no movement on the character since the MCU has formed and grown to what it is now, but it appears he never completely was forgotten about by the executives crafting the universe.

Word of a Shang-Chi movie being back in-development is exciting news, with Marvel potentially getting an action-heavy franchise that once again adds diversity to the universe and reaches another community that hasn't been targeted by superhero films. But, since they are moving quickly with the project, it may not be too long before the kung fu master is cast. Marvel Studios and Callaham's take on the martial artist will "modernize the hero to avoid stereotypes that many comic characters of that era were saddled with." In order to do this, they'll need to properly cast the role soon - unless Remy Hii's already playing Shang-Chi in Spider-Man: Far From Home.

Before the potential candidates are laid out, some general ground rules should be implemented. Although Shang-Chi is specifically Chinese in the comics, it's possible Marvel will look at actors from all across Asia to fill the role. Additionally, Shang-Chi's martial arts experience is a major part to who he is, but that doesn't mean Marvel must or will cast someone who is previously trained. Without a character breakdown, it's impossible to know how much of an emphasis the studio will put on the action element, but Marvel's casting process is different compared to other studios. There's several different directions in terms of age, experience, and background for them to go when making their choice, so here are some options to help.

STEVEN YEUN

https://static0.srcdn.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2017/06/Steven-Yeun-as-Glenn-in-The-Walking-Dead.jpg?q=50&fit=crop&w=738

One actor Marvel Studios can look at for Shang-Chi is Steven Yeun, who's most well-known for his role as Glenn on The Walking Dead, a role that truly established him as a major TV star. In The Walking Dead series, Yeun proved that he not only has leading man potential but also can perform action-heavy scenes as well. Even though he isn't a trained martial artist, it's easy to imagine Yeun picking up enough in training to do some of his own stunts. Outside of his Walking Dead performance, Yeun has starred in Okja, Mayhem, and Sorry to Bother You. With plenty of fans already, which apparently includes Feige (who recently met Yeun at an awards ceremony, via Twitter), the 34-year-old actor could already be on Marvel's radar.

LEWIS TAN

https://static2.srcdn.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/Actor-Lewis-Tan.jpg?q=50&fit=crop&w=738

A fan-favorite choice for any martial arts-related superhero role is Lewis Tan, and he's another person Marvel Studios should be looking at for Shang-Chi. Tan first gained attention for played the drunken kung fu master in Iron Fist season 1, after also publicly lobbying to be cast as an Asian version of Danny Rand. He then followed this up by briefly playing Shatterstar in Deadpool 2, but that role could be short lived due to Disney's upcoming acquisition of 20th Century Fox. He has gone on to land roles in Into the Badlands and Wu Assassins, but his leading role many want to see is still needed. If Marvel does wind up prioritizing casting someone who can do most of their own stunt work, then this role could swing in Tan's favor. After all, he's a rising talent at only 31 years old who could really breakout as Shang-Chi.

ROSS BUTLER

https://static0.srcdn.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2017/04/Ross-Butler-Riverdale-13-Reasons-Why.jpg?q=50&fit=crop&w=738

Now, if Marvel wants to go for someone with the leading man stature that can stand tall with the MCU's various other heroes, then Ross Butler could be a nice choice as well for Shang-Chi. Butler has primarily stayed with TV as of late and has left a good impression. Roles in The CW's Riverdale and Netflix's 13 Reasons Why helped solidify his place in the industry, but he's also secretly joined the cast of DC's Shazam!. That role is likely a small one as another member of the Marvel family, yet it may be joining the Marvel Cinematic Universe that can launch his career even further. Butler has the charisma that Shang-Chi could use and 6'3" build to become a powerful fighter. With a bit of training and a chance, Butler could be Marvel's next star. (Plus, it's worth mentioning that Marvel is already starting to mine 13 Reasons Why's cast for talent, as they recently cast Katherine Langford in Avengers 4.)

LUDI LIN

https://static1.srcdn.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2016/10/Ludi-Lin-as-Zack-in-the-Power-Rangers-movie1.jpg?q=50&fit=crop&w=738

If plucking someone from a small DC role isn't off limits, though, Ludi Lin may prove to be an excellent choice for Shang-Chi. The Chinese-Canadian actor got his breakout role as Zack the Black Ranger in 2017's Power Rangers movie; he also plays Murk in James Wan's Aquaman. Even though his role is small in DC's first Aquaman movie, it's not something that's expected to turn into a bigger role down the line. The 31-year-old actor could instead join the MCU to bring the Master of Kung Fu to life. (After all, it wouldn't be the first time that an actor or actress has appeared in both franchises.) Additional evidence that he's the perfect fit for Shang-Chi is the fact that he's studied Muay Thai, Jiu-Jitsu, and Olympic style wrestling, and still trains today. Lin isn't a household name right now, but there's the potential for him to truly embody everything that makes Shang-Chi unique - and for years to come should Marvel look his way.

KI HONG LEE

https://static3.srcdn.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2018/12/Ki-Hong-Lee-Maze-Runner-The-Death-Cure.jpg?q=50&fit=crop&w=738

Another Asian actor who could easily become Marvel's next action star is Ki Hong Lee. Best known for his role as Minho in The Maze Runner movie trilogy, Lee's role continued to become more prominent as the franchise continued. By the end of the action-heavy series, Lee's ability in an action-heavy role is unquestioned. Beyond just the physical side of the role, Lee has also demonstrated his acting range in The Maze Runner trilogy and The Stanford Experiment, not to mention showing his comedic chops on Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt. Considering the tone the MCU has established, Lee can bring a full personality to Shang-Chi.

YOSON AN

https://static2.srcdn.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2018/12/Yoson-AN.jpg?q=50&fit=crop&w=738

Likely the least-known actor on this list for many people, Yoson An is not a stranger to Disney - and that's a significant factor in him being a possible candidate for Shang-Chi in the MCU. The up-and-coming actor is appearing in Disney's live-action Mulan movie. Yoson will play Mulan's love-interest, but the war setting of the live-action remake could provide him with plenty of opportunities to show off his acting skills, including possible action capabilities. Disney likes to stay in business with people they enjoy working with, and even though audiences have yet to see Yoson in Mulan, he impressed the studio enough to cast him in a big role. If word from Mulan's set is positive, then Yoson could once again find himself as part of a major Disney release.

GeneChing
03-13-2020, 08:23 AM
A new Shang-Chi series by Gene Luen Yang, **** Ruan and Philip Tan is a welcome new look at the character (https://www.comicsbeat.com/a-new-shang-chi-series-by-gene-luen-yang-****-ruan-and-philip-tan/?fbclid=IwAR32RGCA0SuuDg71A47wyz3LXpW_3V1CHZMZgy81 fMW3VtOLHk5sHLVF3is)
Yang's first work for Marvel hits the stands in June.
By Heidi MacDonald -03/12/2020 4:30 pm

https://i1.wp.com/www.comicsbeat.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/03/image003.jpg?w=634&ssl=1

Shang-Chi is getting a new series from Marvel this June, written by acclaimed cartoonist Gene Luen Yang with art by **** Ruan and Phillip Tan. And that’s pretty welcome news.

Marvel’s “Master of Kung Fu” is finally getting his own MCU film next year, starring Simu Liu, Tony Leung and Awkafina. But the comics character has had a lot of ups and downs. over the years. The original series from the 70s and 80s was launched in the wake of the “kung fu” craze of that era. It’s loved by old timer comics fans (like The Beat) but rightly condemned as problematic for its many stereotypes, including main villain Fu Manchu, one of the worst “Yellow Peril” villains of all time.

But as announced in The New York Times, National Book Award nominee Yang is excited to be taking on the character.

“I mean, it’s Shang-Chi. He’s probably the most prominent Asian — I guess he’s Asian-American now since he’s moved over here — Asian-American super hero.”

It’s Yang’s first work for Maarvel and he’ll be joined by artists Ruan (Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man) and Tan (Black Order). Ruan will draw the modern day part of the story and Tan will handle flashbacks. Plus Shang-Chi will have a new costume designed by Jim Cheung.

In this new series, Shang-Chi’s fight for justice will collide with his past. When the hero finds himself pulled back into the fold, no one will be ready for what will be unleashed. With a target on his back after the revitalization of his father’s secret society, the balance of power will shift in an epic tale of succession, family, and betrayal.

“The basic idea that his father is a supervillain is still there,” said Yang. “Zheng Zhu has been around a very long time. He has other kids besides Shang-Chi, so we’re going to explore some of those sibling relationships.”

In his Times interview, Yang, whose American Born Chinese was a breakthrough exploration of the Asian-American experience, expanded on how he had avoided Shang-Cho in the past .

But Yang, 46, avoided the character until college. “It’s that same embarrassment I had in third grade,” he said. “There was a second grader who moved here from Taiwan and the teachers really wanted me to be his friend. I felt embarrassed about it and I didn’t know why. It was almost like picking up a Shang-Chi comic would have been highlighting what made me different from the other nerds at the comic book store.”

He says that films like Black Panther show that these characters have a different meaning for today’s audiences, and can be a positive sign of representation. “I just don’t think that kids growing up today, for the most part, have that same sort of embarrassment. I think for a lot of them, it sort of flipped. I think that conversation is changing too for Asian-Americans.”

Shang-Chi #1 hits stands in June.

Congrats to Gene Luen Yang! We've helped to promote his previous work - see Boxers and Saints by Gene Luen Yang (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?65168-Boxers-and-Saints-by-Gene-Luen-Yang), The Shadow Hero by Gene Luen Yang & Sonny Liew (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?67197-The-Shadow-Hero-by-Gene-Luen-Yang-amp-Sonny-Liew) & Avatar: The Last Airbender - The Promise by Gene Yang (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?62554-Avatar-The-Last-Airbender-The-Promise-by-Gene-Yang).

There's also Chinese Superman Kenan Kong (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?69516-Chinese-Superman-Kenan-Kong) for which we didn't do any promotions.

GeneChing
03-28-2022, 08:02 AM
Shang-Chi's Simu Liu Refuses to Sign Master of Kung Fu Comics (https://www.cbr.com/shang-chi-simu-liu-master-of-kung-fu-comics-refusal/)
While attending Awesome Con 2022, Shang-Chi actor Simu Liu will not be signing any Master of Kung Fu comics, the character's original comic title.

BY JULIE RIVER
PUBLISHED 1 DAY AGO

https://static1.cbrimages.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2022/02/Simu-Liu-in-Shang-Chi.jpg?q=50&fit=crop&w=960&h=500&dpr=1.5
Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings actor Simu Liu will not be signing any copies of the Masters of Kung Fu comics or any other offensive works at fan conventions.

A stipulation was added to his upcoming appearance at Awesome Con that he will not sign Master of Kung Fu comics or "other comics deemed offensive". The character of Shang-Chi was introduced in Special Marvel Edition #15 in December 1973. When the character was brought back for the two following issues, the title of Special Marvel Edition was changed to The Hands of Shang-Chi: Master of Kung Fu. Despite being the original comic book run for Shang-Chi, the Master of Kung Fu title has many outdated and offensive cultural stereotypes.

Liu has proven himself as a champion of Asian rights and culture in the past. Speaking at an awards ceremony while receiving the Breakout in Film honor, the actor referred to himself as "unapologetically Asian." "There are so many people here tonight fighting the good fight," Liu said in his speech, "Showing me what it means to be unapologetically Asian... The more I think about it, the more it feels like a super power."

Shang-Chi co-star Awkwafina has been battling accusations that she is culturally insensitive herself. In February, the actor addressed complaints on Twitter about her use of African American Vernacular English (AAVE) before leaving the platform. Many were dissatisfied with her comments on the issue, with some pointing out that her statements offered an explanation but no apology. Awkwafina had originally tweeted, "As a non-black POC, I stand by the fact that I will always listen and work tirelessly to understand the history and context of AAVE, what is deemed appropriate or backwards towards the progress of ANY and EVERY marginalized group," before stressing that she never intended to mock anyone.

Iron Man 3 managed to sidestep any accusations of cultural insensitivity with its depiction of The Mandarin, which wound up being a fakeout and turned the villain into nothing more than a British actor, Trevor Slattery (Sir Ben Kingsley). Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings introduced the real Mandarin to the Marvel Cinematic Universe, though his backstory and character were changed significantly from his comic book counterpart. Shang-Chi also brought back Kingsley for the role of Slatterly, following up on his apparent disappearance in the MCU one-shot, All Hail the King.

Simu Liu will be in attendance at Awesome Con on June 4, 2022, alongside Shang-Chi actors Meng’er Zhang and Florian Munteanu. Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings is now streaming on Disney+.

threads
SHANG-CHI-quot-MASTER-of-KUNG-FU-quot (https://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?40472-SHANG-CHI-quot-MASTER-of-KUNG-FU-quot)
Shang-Chi-and-the-Legend-of-the-Ten-Rings (https://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?71109-Shang-Chi-and-the-Legend-of-the-Ten-Rings)

GeneChing
08-29-2022, 08:49 AM
Marvel Comics Removes Masters Of Kung Fu Mentions From Its Website (https://bleedingcool.com/comics/marvel-comics-removes-masters-of-kung-fu-mentions-from-its-website/)
Posted on August 26, 2022 by Rich Johnston

Bleeding Cool reader Andreas Decker writes "I wanted to buy some single issues of Marvel's "Master of Kung Fu" by Doug Moench and Gene Day as the third Epic Collection of the series never materialized. I had them for some time on my wishlist, after the self-destruction of Comixology now on my Amazon Wishlist. Imagine my surprise that they are no longer avaiable. I also looked Marvel up, but the whole series – the 1974 – 1983 edition only – is no longer listed there. Amazon also doesn't sell the two Epic Collections and most of the digitalized Deadly Hands of Kung Fu any longer. (Which also vanished from the Marvel site, btw) Can you confirm this? Marvel can sell what they want, of course, but isn't this taking Political Correctness a bit too far? Again? Or is the digital edition just taken from distribution to get another embarrassing apology on page 1 because the past is a foreign country? Moench, Gulacy, Zeck, Day and all the other artists and writers deserved better than this nonsense. Sad."

He is not the only one to have noticed this. Indeed it seems almost all of the Master Of Kung Fu comics from the Doug Moench era that introduced and starred the character of Shang-Chi era have been digitally deleted from Marvel's website, Amazon's ComiXology and Marvel Unlimited. You can see them listed here, but most of them resolve to a 404 unknown page, such as his very first appearance.

https://mlpnk72yciwc.i.optimole.com/cqhiHLc.WqA8~2eefa/w:600/h:420/q:75/https://bleedingcool.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/08/Screenshot-2022-08-26-140307-1.jpg

This includes comics such as What If? #16 and the Giant-Size Spider-Man issue #2 that starred the character. Or the Deadly Hands of Kung Fu magazine issues, which also featured the character only #19-#23 and #25-#30 remain, as do the modern-day revivals of both titles for Marvel Legacy and Secret Wars.

Is this all because of the portrayal of East Asian characters in a fashion that is colloquially called "of its time"? No, no it is not. It is because Shang-Chi was created as the son of the trademarked and licensed from the estate of Sax Rohmer character Fu Manchu. There are also appearances of those Rohmer characters such as Fu Manchu's daughter Fah Lo Suee and adversaries Sir Denis Nayland Smith and Dr. Petrie. And any mention of that fact, has to be excised as Marvel appears not to have renewed their license with the estate this year. And as result, Marvel cannot sell them anymore. If you have your copies, they won't suddenly disappear from your library. But if you haven't you are out of luck.

But to remove them from the Marvel.com website entirely? Must be one of those Jedi mindwipes that currently Marvel Comics does have the rights to.
Anyone know any more on this?