PDA

View Full Version : The 100 men test

X-Warrior
02-22-2006, 11:17 AM
I was just browsing martial arts websites and came across this Kyokushinkai karate site (they call this style one of the toughests in karate).

This guy was taking his test for the 2nd degree black belt, and one of the test requirements is to fight with 40 opponents, using no protective gear. You get two minutes maximum per fight but they say the best if you knock out your opponent fast as you can so you don't have to spend much time/energy. Still usually you fight for about an hour because soon as you done with one, the next immediately comes at you. The higher rank you test, the more people you have to fight with, up to a 100 (if you ever get to the 10th degree).

Pretty interesting, sounds like a tough test.

-X-

Jun Fan
02-22-2006, 12:22 PM
I just downloaded a video from bullshido of some Kyokushinkai black belts sparring some Drunken KF dudes. The Karate guys looked pretty dern good.

GreenCloudCLF
02-22-2006, 01:15 PM
I just downloaded a video from bullshido of some Kyokushinkai black belts sparring some Drunken KF dudes. The Karate guys looked pretty dern good.

Yeah those Kyokushin guys are some tough summs a *****z. I had a friend who did it, and he told me they don't cut angels...they just stand toe to toe and fight till someone falls...

Oh and I saw that Drunken vid too...those drunken guys weren't too good.:(

Jun Fan
02-22-2006, 01:28 PM
Oh and I saw that Drunken vid too...those drunken guys weren't too good.:(

Nope.

I love watching my Shifu do the drunken forms, but I would NEVER try to use that style in an actual fighting situation.

Neither would he.;)

GreenCloudCLF
02-22-2006, 01:31 PM
Nope.

I love watching my Sifu do the drunken forms, but I would NEVER try to use that style in an actual fighting situation.

Neither would he.;)

Dropping a drunken technique in the middle of a fight isn't the worst thing in the world. I'm not talking about stumbling around, but there are some valid techniques that can be used.

I have a series of three techniques from a drunken form I like to pepper into my sparring, cause it's a nice fast series of hits....to reiterate: I am not stumbling around (unless I;ve actually been drinking).

X-Warrior
02-24-2006, 10:36 AM
It's not the style that mostly matters but how you can use it. Kyokushinkai karate is one of the rare practical karate styles where you actually have to apply what you know. Most other styles just punch and kick the air and do their forms as training, howeve this can get you only so far.

Drunken style can be used if you keep fighting with it and adjust to what really works for you. The secret is in sparring and not the style itself. I read in a book that in Thailand if you're a Thai boxer, you have to go and fight almost every weekend. That is why those Thai fighters are so dang tough and beat up so many karate/kung fu masters. I keep telling these to my students all the time. Learn it, then use it!

All secrets are hidden in the application and revealed only to those who do it. (X-Warrior wisdom :) ).

lianweijun086
02-28-2006, 01:12 PM
Funny that you guys should mention not using drunken in a sparring match. I met Sifu Des Jackson last year here in Gainesville, and he totally DESTROYED me with drunken boxing, funky blinking, stumbling, and all. He gave me the privelage of choosing which style he would use to hand my arse to me, among them were taiqi, xinyi, five animal, and a couple others that I can't remember.
I remember the strangest thing was, when went into crane stance, I went in for a sweep, and even though he was teetering around, his stance was solid. He tossed me around like a rag doll, and I don't mean to brag, but I'm not that shabby of a fighter.
I guess it takes alot of practice to be able to utilize stances and techniques found in forms (like chin na, and poon kiu) in a sparring situation. I was never actually trained to fight in form, so I'd imagine that I'd suck at it :P Just thought it would be interesting to share that some people can fight with drunken as you see it in the forms.

Ed.