PDA

View Full Version : Is BJJ the best method of fighting?

GreenCloudCLF
02-22-2006, 01:27 PM
These thoughts are being processed in a free flowing manner...All thoughts may be incomplete, or incoherent, and I apologize ahead of time.
---

We've all seen the MMA guys, the BJJ guys, and the wrestlers even, talk about how these styles are best suited for combat. And what I was thinking today is the TYPE of person to train in these arts, as well as other arts.

If an out of shape person goes into a BJJ school, do they have the same probabilty of staying there as they do if they had walked into a Wing Chun school? I would assume a certain type of person stays with and trains in BJJ. My father wouldn;t enjoy training in it, but I could see him doing TKD.

Is a BJJ atmosphere geared towards a certain type of person? Perhaps they are taking Darwins Survival of the fittest to the next level. Maybe they haven't found the best "street fighting" method (cause we all know that is Ghetto Blocks), but maybe they found a way to get the strongest and toughest people to walk in their doors?
----
I know MMA v. KF has been done to death and apologize ahead of time for that, but I'm curious as to whether or not type of person effects the style. We all have said "It's not the style, but the fighter." So has BJJ managed to get the fighters?

Ray Pina
02-22-2006, 01:41 PM
First to answer the title's question: I think BJJ is a good fighting method because of some of it's core principles, mainly the smothering affect ... that takes care of the other guy's punching, makes it hard for the tall guy to use his long arms .... very few people train to strike in limited space. For that I think it's good.

At the same time, I believe we'll see the tide go back to a focus on striking ... but everyone will maintain their ground skills. You need them.

I think another thing BJJ has for it is that it draws young competitve men who want to train hard. The focus on grappling allows for full power/full speed play amongst students that makes them good at what they do.

The only draw back is, I'm running into more cats that want to ground play but they won't play if you include striking. But I guess there will always be people like that, and probably the majority, in any style. As long as each school has a student or two that explores all sides of unarmed combat, the style will survive.

As far as kung fu, I have to say we draw the most interesting lot .... and that might be a nice way of saying we are surrounded by freaks. Not all, but there are a lot of wierdo kung fu guys. Or is that just me?

Seems like BJJ are more athletic types were as Kung Fu guys tend to be dreamers/fantasy types. Of course these are generalizations, and only limited to my experience.

MasterKiller
02-22-2006, 01:42 PM
First off, BJJ is not MMA. I would say MMA is more likely to attract a more "athletic" and "aggressive" crowd than TMA and even BJJ because of the format of the training and level of instensity in the ring.

Since both are focused on competition, though, they do attract people with a similar mindset.

But, BJJ has fatso, loser, wanna be's just like TMAs. However, since promotion in BJJ requires you to actually be good, you don't see these people progressing to 15th Dan of the Universe just because they showed up twice a week and paid their tuition on time.

Plus, getting armbarred 15 times a night tends to clear up any misconceptions you have about your abilities...

lkfmdc
02-22-2006, 01:56 PM
I have yet to see an art which has developed fighting off your back to the same degree.... ie BJJ offers a specialization that very few arts have even thought much about, and has offered very developed techniques in this area...

The initial strength of BJJ in MMA competitions was that many arts want to put the other person on their back, either striking them until they fall down or throwing them.... so often people put their BJJ opponents on their back themselves, then discoverd to their horror that the BJJ student could still fight from this position... and if you don't know how to fight a BJJ guard, you will be either submited or swept....

In other words, underestimating your opponent and/or being ignorant of the possible dangers is always a formula for defeat

Knifefighter
02-22-2006, 05:59 PM
BJJ and MMA (as well as Sambo, wrestling, Judo, boxing, and Muay Thai, for that matter) don't just attract the athletic individuals- their training methods mold people into that. Many top BJJ guys started off as completely unathletic spaz cases.

ShaolinTiger00
02-22-2006, 10:08 PM
To add to KF's statement I just wanted to share a story about a student who was a very good athlete at one time but thru time and life got way too fat dumb and happy. He came into the gym 40lbs overweight and could not kick above his waist and had trouble finishing 3 rounds of pad work. he left that night with a black eye a cut across his nose and a scrape from his elbow to his wrist. I thought I'd never see him again.

3 months later he is 35 lbs lighter, can kick past his own head, has a decent grappling game and is fighting on an amateur MMA card this spring.

Fighters are forged not born.

Merryprankster
02-22-2006, 11:57 PM
Basically, it's not the "best" method of fighting.

Boxing, Judo, Wrestling, Muay Thai - all have one thing in common: They limit the skill set you learn to a set of "safe" techniques, and frequently practice them full speed, full contact.

Training any one of these makes you a force to be reckoned with. A decent boxer has skills that will serve him well, a successful high school wrestler has skills that will serve him well.

IMO anything you train in will be successful if you engage in full speed, full contact application. You will find what works and what does not, and that will be that.

In all cases, people need to be aware of the limitations of what they do. A person who has trained straight BJJ at a competition oriented school for 5 years is likely to be deficient in takedowns and striking. This has been the downfall of many straight BJJers in MMA. Boxers often just assume they'll hit a grappler on the way in and that will be that, etc.

I'd say the biggest factor is not to kid yourself about what you are doing. For some, that means recognizing they are sportive grapplers, vice "fighters." For others, that means recognizing they need to add full contact, full speed sparring, etc.