PDA

View Full Version : Attn: fu jow regarding Siu Mui Fah video post

Fu-Pow
02-25-2006, 01:15 AM
http://www.youtube.com/?v=xcJNM4QBr1o

i was at the dog park yesterday, and my friend had a digital camera that can do video, so he filmed me doing part of our siu mui fa. ive never put myself out there like this, im still kind of a beginner, but i had fun doing it.

Nice job. It looks pretty good for a "beginner." The one thing I would recommend is that you go a little lower in your Chan Fu and Sou Geuk. The hands look pretty good. Remember to keep your fingers together and your thumb tucked in, that way you run less of injury if you apply this stuff in real life.

FP

GreenCloudCLF
02-25-2006, 07:38 AM
Looks nice...like the sleeves.

hskwarrior
02-25-2006, 08:38 AM
is that guy from san francisco?

the background looks like an area of SF. if any of you have ever watched Full House with the little olson twins and uncle jesse.

GreenCloudCLF
02-25-2006, 09:07 AM
is that guy from san francisco?

the background looks like an area of SF. if any of you have ever watched Full House with the little olson twins and uncle jesse.

mmmm...those Olsen twins have grown up lovely!!!

Eddie
02-25-2006, 09:40 AM
pretty good. on that page there is a link to a CLF spear form too ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PaFxbCHdVXY )

also thought of Full House when I saw those houses in the back. Looks like a pretty cool area too.

gwa sow
02-25-2006, 11:08 AM
its sup sam chuerng

Eddie
02-25-2006, 11:31 AM
yep i know that :rolleyes:

looked at the siu moi fah video again, fu jow, its really pretty good. :) which school are you from?

hskwarrior
02-25-2006, 11:48 AM
thats a cool link eddie,

i saw a few of us on there meaning sifu troy dunwood and his student doing the stick spar, sifu gus kaparos doing the fan form. the full house guy.,.....

cool stuff

hskwarrior
02-25-2006, 11:49 AM
if he's in sf then he's a tat mau wong guy.

fu jow
02-25-2006, 12:24 PM
exactly. i started taking my dog there recently and only just noticed the victorians in a row and then the trans am building behind it. a pretty famous view. and yes, im a tat mau wong guy. i started taking classes at his sf school, this april will be 2 years. when i think about all the years the people on this forum have been doing kung fu, i feel like a drop in the bucket, but its pretty much taken over my life since i started. and i appreciate the feedback, thanks you guys.

yutyeesam
02-26-2006, 01:37 AM
nice job! you may want to emphasize the waist twists a little more for sow and biu - but i realize that that may slow down the form, so for performance, I can understand making those waist twists a little smaller to make it go faster.
that's really super darn good for only two years of training! are you learning sil lum gwun now?

fu jow
02-26-2006, 12:21 PM
thank you so much for saying that. i actually learned that staff form recently, now im learning tuet gin kuen. working on the first half anyway. its one of my favorite hand forms. its hard with all the spinning, but so beautiful to watch.

Eddie
02-27-2006, 12:02 AM
Tit jin is what we use for san da training. That form is realy practical, very cool. not that nice to perform tho, the turns could make you dizzie :) but a very very epxlosive and practical form

Shaolindynasty
02-27-2006, 09:44 AM
Wow, the LKH Sui Mui Fah is completely different from ours. Same in the name only.

hskwarrior
02-27-2006, 09:59 AM
to have different sets completely but maintain the same name is very commonplace within almost all schools due to individual influence and such.

Like the Cheh Kuen, i'm sure mine is alot different than most everyone outside of the fut san hung sing kwoon. even within it there are variations of the same set.
different people tend to put an emphasis on certain aspects and focus on that, therefore putting a different face on the set.

I think what matters is that there should be something identifiable within the set that makes it Siu Mui Fa, or che kuen, etc.

Sup JI Kau Da is different in almost everyshool as well. but there is the sup gee part of the set that all schools have the same patterns (lay out of the section) but sometimes different hands, but to the eye you would say that looks like sup gee kau da but just a little different.

Shaolindynasty
02-27-2006, 10:35 AM
HSK- yeah I know, I was just pointing that out.

Some of the comments made about the vid mentioned that your Siu Moi Fah was short. On average how long does it take to perform?

Ours is considered long and can take about 4-5min depending how fast you go.

Lama Pai Sifu
02-27-2006, 10:39 AM
Frank,

What's the line from Siu Sahp Jih that everyone should have in common? I want to check mine....lol

Eddie
02-28-2006, 09:32 AM
there were two video clips of fujow doing his forms. the one is sort of half way - i think the video clip is about 20 seconds, then the other one was longer, i think it went right to the end or close to the end - cant seem to remember seeing the end tho

lianweijun086
02-28-2006, 12:14 PM
pretty good. on that page there is a link to a CLF spear form too ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PaFxbCHdVXY )

Hey, pretty cool that you guys found my form on YouTube. The link is dead though, because I replaced that with a cleaner version with sounds, same video, just unedited. You can find it here >>http://youtube.com/watch?v=arc9TxeCG_I. Just wondering if any of you had any comments?
I guess I can start off by critiquing myself first.
Firstly, I see alot of tension in my shoulders, and my heads all tucked in. I guess this is also probably the reason that I don't get full extensions, like ALL over the place.
Near the end, my stances get all screwed up, bent knees in bow stance, I think my heel might even have popped up once or twice.
My bang tui was pretty ugly, and I leaned way too far back on the tornado kick, which killed the stability of the landing. It looks like I was trying for a 540 but failed...
Anyway, that's all I remember! Comments would be appreciated!

Ed.

Eddie
02-28-2006, 01:40 PM
Ed? Cool name :rolleyes:

which school are you from? how long have you been training?

lianweijun086
03-01-2006, 10:32 AM
Thanks Eddie, your name has a pretty nice ring to it too!

Anyway, I started at the Martial Arts Training Academy in South FL under Sifu Ken Chong (once removed from LKH) about 7 years ago. Trained for a year, and then quit after my brother went to college. Then I began to build an interest (wasn't into MA the first time around) and went back (when I had time, like during summer vacation) after I started college. So, I've been training on and off, by myself and with the Meihua Student Association of Martial Arts up here at UF. All in all, I'd say I've had about one and a half years of formal training, and about a year and a half to two years training on my own or with the club.

Ed.