PDA

View Full Version : Park Bok Nam in a 70's Karate Video...

Paul DiMarino
03-18-2001, 11:13 PM
Hi all,

I just got a copy of the documentary "Fighting Black Kings". For those that aren't familiar with it, it's about a full-contact karate tournament in Japan in 1975 in which participants were invited from all over the globe to compete. There were thai boxers, kung fu practitioners, karateka's, etc. During the scene where all the delegates are arriving at the airport, who walks out the door? None other than Ba Gua Zhang sifu Park Bok Nam. I'm wondering if anyone knows if he or any of his students fought. It'd be interesting to see how he faired. They never mentioned his name, but there were 128 competitors fighting tournament style, so obviously a lot of fights were skipped.

wujidude
03-18-2001, 11:20 PM
Paul:

How cool! Seventies all-comers all-styles tournament in Japan. Where did you get the film?

Just a guess, but Park may very well have competed himself in that tournament. According to the dates provided by Dan Miller in Park's first pakuachang book, Park was still studying under Lu Shuitien at that time. I think Park may also have been teaching under Lu's supervision then (I don't have the book right here), so he may have attended as a coach or representative rather than a competitor.

Interesting . . . I bet it was one of the first times that Park went out of Korea to represent pakua.

Monkey
03-18-2001, 11:40 PM
I saw that video years ago...
What did you think of those pitifull Wing Chun guys. They were totally unprepared for full contact fighting and got their asses handed to them. They were so bad the audience was laughing at them.

Ma_Xu_Zha
03-19-2001, 12:01 AM
but I dont think he was fighting, it was his student Glen Miller. glen is a black guy that is the longest student of Park and teachers in washington State somewhere and met park when he was stationed in koreea with the army.

Eight Immortals
03-19-2001, 12:26 AM
MA, I think you mean Glenn Wright.

Paul, Did you study under Master Park Before?? If so, with what study group??

Thanx

wujidude
03-19-2001, 12:47 AM
Ma Xu Zha:

Glenn Wright is now in Tennessee. I don't know if he is still teaching. You're right: Wright probably was in the tournament, with Park there as his teacher/coach. I recall a photo in Vol. 1 of Park's pakua books showing Wright circling on a mat in a tournament fight . . . he was wearing white gloves.

Paul DiMarino
03-19-2001, 04:07 AM
Unfortunately, the only kung fu fighters they had on the tape were the affore mentioned wing chun guys that got beat up badly. There definately weren't any ba gua guys on the video.

EI,

I only studied under Park for about 6 months with his Boston group. I met him once and got to go have lunch with him, and he's defiantely a great guy and has legit skills. I've been training at a couple other schools since I left the group.

razakdigital
03-19-2001, 04:22 PM
I love that tape...I like it a lot because it shows Karate in it's true essense. When you go to other Karate schools and see how they train and work and then you see this tape you realize that some of what they are doing is watered down.

Ma_Xu_Zha
03-19-2001, 06:28 PM
Your right it was Glen Wright, not glen miller?!? dont know where that came from but anyways all of parks senior disciples are very competent boxers.

Zhin
03-19-2001, 09:47 PM
Man,

I see that tape all the time, but I always thought it was some kind of 70's blacksploitation flick. Now I'll rent it.

Thanks!

OdderMensch
03-31-2001, 05:03 AM
I think just that one guy did "wing chun" and i think it was maybe his third week in the system. he and all the other Kung Fu guys SUCKED TOTAL A$$. I love kung fu and this was the worst I have EVER SEEN! The Quality of the Hong Kong Participants was just poor I think they went and said "hey lets send these crackheads to japan maybe they'll get thier butts handed to them and quit(or train for real)"

I am trying to find out more info on this tourny btw if anyone knows......