View Full Version : Best chopsticks fight scene ever

jethro
02-26-2006, 10:09 PM
I would have to go with:
HITMAN IN THE HAND OF BUDDHA

see what everyone thinks

dwid
03-05-2006, 10:22 AM
Actually, I'd have to give it to Takeshi Kitano in Sonatine or Fireworks (I get the two mixed up). Where the low level Yakuza guy is talking smack and he stabs him in the eye with a chopstick.

Very cool.

jethro
06-02-2006, 09:35 PM
I haven't seen that yet is it pretty good? I LOVED deadly outlaw:rekka? Hitman In the Hand of Buddha was my favorite chopstick fight ever. But you people can't even come up with a favorite "throw" ever. My pick for that would be The One Armed Swordsman. Wow. BTW-that is easily one of the hottest chinese woman ever(one who slices jimmy).

dwid
06-02-2006, 09:49 PM
I'll be honest, I love pretty much all movies directed by Takeshi Kitano. He also stars in them as the character actor Beat Takeshi (same guy, but he gives himself a different name as the actor). He's a bit overexposed in Japan, as he does lots of comedy and stuff, but his movies are awesome. Check out Sonatine, Fireworks, Violent Cop, Kikujiro, even Brother. Very cool stuff.

Violence in Takeshi Kitano movies seems more realistic and raw than it does in lots of other movies. When sh!t goes down, it is very sudden and generally ends quickly. He's a bit of an every man with a savage twist, kind of like Charles Bronson in some of his old movies.

jethro
06-02-2006, 09:58 PM
I'll check out the reviews and see if it's for me. Butr the newest zatoichi was sweet. Let me indulge myself here. Remember when the young dude thinks of how he is gonna chop Z up , and then the fight actually happens. Awesome movie!!!!!!!

dwid
06-03-2006, 04:34 AM
Actually, I haven't seen that one yet. I have the DVD around somewhere though, I'll check it out.

jethro
06-03-2006, 10:51 AM
Cause it is good going into the new zatoichi not knowing what is gona happen. If you need a movie like iron monkey, you won't like it, but I think you will cause it sounds just like your description of his other movies. Also if you are a movie fan AND a music fan, deadly outlaw is one of my favorite stylistic movies ever. Nothing lasting, just serious fun being put to the screen. Which reminds me, is Audition by Miike good?

dwid
06-03-2006, 11:02 AM
Which reminds me, is Audition by Miike good?

I like it. If you like Miike, it's pretty awesome. I'd say if you like creepy horror in general, you can't go wrong with Audition. Some really f'ed up scenes in that movie.

jethro
06-03-2006, 12:56 PM
I like it. If you like Miike, it's pretty awesome. I'd say if you like creepy horror in general, you can't go wrong with Audition. Some really f'ed up scenes in that movie.

You surprised me there, I have only seen rekka and izo, and izo was a littel scary, but just too weird to give me a creepy feeling. When Izo does it with the mother of mankind or something, that is definitely creepy.

But you are saying Audition is a scary movie, I didn't like Saw casue I thought the gore came in too late and was very unnecassary. But I have heard good things about japan horrors, so I will check that out and beat's stuff when I get a chance. :) I tend to like effed up scenes.:)

dwid
06-03-2006, 01:12 PM
There is some stuff in Audition that is disturbing to watch. However, it isn't gore for gore's sake. Miike knows what he's doing, and often you don't have to see much to be creeped out. I'll wager you'll enjoy Audition. It's not supernatural horror. In fact, unlike Miike's other stuff I'm familiar with, the storyline is very much anchored in the real world and is not too difficult to follow.

jethro
06-09-2006, 05:28 PM
you seen rekka yet, just so you know, this is a real world type of movie(liek you say audition is) with some unreal things happening. break down the ending if you can for me, I tac it up to not having enough shooting time, btu I still can't figure that thing out:D

dwid
06-09-2006, 07:49 PM
I just got it from netflix and plan to watch it this weekend.
I'll let you know what I think.

Jimbo
06-10-2006, 01:15 PM
If you like Takashi Miike's stuff, and you like weird movies, you should check out Gozu. It's kind of long, but it's very bizarre, and some of the scenes in it can make your stomach crawl, especially near the end. It's funny, though, in more of a tongue-in-cheek kind of way, though it is NOT an action movie. Kind of a mixture of a Yakuza/horror/ironic comedy film. It seems like people either like it or they hate it.

Another Miike film that is VERY extreme is Ichi the Killer. I really can't recommend this film unless you're into very intense violence. It's a little cartoonish, but very bloody and all the characters are perverse. It's about a child-like guy named Ichi who's a hired killer/peeping tom, and how he's put up against a nasty young crime boss/murderer played by the same guy who was the young samurai in the new Zatoichi. For myself, it's not a film I'd want to see again soon, though there are some rather interesting parts in it. I watch a lot of films, many of them very bloody and violent, and though this one is exaggerated, I have to admit there are some parts that really bothered me about it.

As far as best chopsticks fight ever, I have to agree it's probably the one in Hitman in the Hand of Buddha (Hwang Jang-Lee vs. Tino Wang). Though I did see the Takeshi Kitano "chopsticks in the Yakuza's eye" scene...I think it was in Sonatine (?). In Fireworks, Kitano plays one of a pair of gay (I only mention this because it's relevant to the story) hit men, and in this movie, he's actually a bit scary in his brutality.

dwid
06-10-2006, 01:48 PM
I honestly couldn't sit through Gozu. Maybe I'll give it a try again one day.

Ichi the Killer looks interesting, and I'll probably check it out in the near future.

dwid
06-10-2006, 01:52 PM
you seen rekka yet, just so you know, this is a real world type of movie(liek you say audition is) with some unreal things happening. break down the ending if you can for me, I tac it up to not having enough shooting time, btu I still can't figure that thing out:D

I just got through watching it. I actually really liked it. As far as the ending, WTF???? I don't know. Maybe they ran out of money, maybe they ran out of script. Maybe it's just Miike entertaining himself with some private joke at the expense of the audience.

I like that the rockets had ridiculously devastating power. And some of the stuff was really funny, like the hands around the guy's neck at the beginning and the decapitated head that opens its eyes.

jethro
06-10-2006, 03:06 PM
I knew you would come through with seeing Hitman. It was honestly one of the dumbest movies I have ever seen. "That style doesn't work on me anymore
I know monkey's stick". The choreography ws a bit diffeent from ALL other fu movies and the finale was a bit dissapointing but some of the greatest kicks in screen history are being let fly.

The chopsticks scene was such a classic becuase the choreography in that whole scene was beautiful. But then when Hwang gets the chopsticks in his hand, I rewound for quite a while:rolleyes: then they top it off with the CHEESIEST BEST part. Hwang takes like 4 chopsticks and like makes a little catapult, and lets them loose and sends tino flying through the air.

I am horrible at explaing these things, btu I will tell everybody-watch the opening kicks galore sequence(this will also help you realize how stupid it is). Next is the chopsticks. Then hwang vs. tino wong again. then the finale has some of teh best kicks EVER.

And GOZU-have you seen Izo!!!!!!!!!!, compare it to that and make sure it is better if you can. I really did not enjoy Izo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! so let me in on Gozu if you can, much appreciated.

jethro
06-10-2006, 03:10 PM
glad you liked it. You can tell it is not for everyone. Kinda borign during a few scenes, but after the opening sequence in that movie, I was hooked forever. I have seen that movie like 10 times now and the music is everlasting but in my opinion, that old japanese leader at teh start(and the end) was the best part of the movie. Followed closely by the hitman coming back in to get a candy bar or something. The music intertwined with the dialogue was brilliant...

I freaking loved it, I know I probably mentioned it, but I love the way miike makes the camera a character. Most directors just give themselves a cameo or something, you can tell miike makes movies for people to enjoy , I appreciate that.

Su Lin
07-07-2006, 05:57 PM
Having tried to explain the plot of Gozu to someone I had to give up, and it still makes my brain hurt, but was great (I think!)
On the other hand Takeshi Kitano , possibly my film hero , apart from Mifune. Zatoichi- amazing! Kikujiro is amusing .He has everything really. Has anyone seen Takeshis, his new film? Don't think its going to be over here in England for ages yet???

jethro
07-16-2006, 08:45 PM
Beat's zatoichi is the first z movie I ever saw. I loved it but after seeign the real zatoichi, there is really no comparison. I have only seen one movie(chest of gold) and am hooked and will have to buy all the rest.

Su Lin
07-17-2006, 07:45 AM
The other ,original Zatoichi films are great too, just love Kitano ,and the tap dancing!!!:p

Su Lin
07-24-2006, 01:47 PM
Right Jethro, a question for your martial arts film knowledge. I just got a 3 month subscription to an online film rental service. I need to fill up my list with martial arts films- what can you suggest???

jethro
07-25-2006, 11:17 AM
and yes, I will think up a list for you. :D

to start it off though, you have seen woo-ping's masterpiece, Legend of a Fighter(Secret Master), right. Also, I will bring a certain thread back and you can feel free to ask any questions about any of those movies.

Su Lin
07-25-2006, 11:33 AM
:o :o :o :o :o :o

GeneChing
09-13-2013, 10:30 AM
Just had to share this...

Piece of chopstick removed from man’s head after 9 months (http://www.shanghaidaily.com/national/Piece-of-chopstick-removed-from-mans-head-after-9-months/shdaily.shtml)
By Deng Kajia | September 12, 2013, Thursday | Online Edition

DOCTORS removed a five-centimeter-long piece of chopstick from a patient who had lived with it for nine months after it entered his head through his eye socket, Chengdu Evening News reported today.

The 57-year-old patient had lived with the nuisance for nine months without realizing it was there, the report said.

The chopstick had embedded itself in the patient’s nasal cavity and was successfully removed by doctors specializing in eye, ear, nose and throat conditions, the report said.

The patient, identified as Wen, was having lunch alone at home last December while his one-year-old grandson was playing aside.

As he rushed to lift up the boy, who was about to fall, the slippery floor made Wen stumble. The chopstick he was holding in his hand stabbed him in the eye socket without piercing the eye and a section broke off, the report said.

It bled for awhile, but Wen was tipsy after drinking and just threw away the broken chopstick without knowing part of it had been left in his head, the report said.

He was given an anti-inflammatory drug later at a clinic for soreness he had, the report said.

However, the wound would not heal and, by August, was constantly discharging pus. Wen was shocked when an X-ray showed a 5.1-centimeter-long foreign body lying from his left eye socket into his nasal cavity.

Wen had not considered the injury a big deal since it did not affect his eyesight and only felt uncomfortable when he winked.

GeneChing
09-13-2013, 10:50 AM
...I'm flabbergasted that this thread doesn't mention Kung Fu Panda (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=39752) or Fearless Hyena (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=57751).

Kung Fu Panda vs Fearless Hyena / chopstick fight (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0FmLdbDfGI)

Cataphract
05-24-2017, 02:45 AM
Gear up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUkFKO69xK0

GeneChing
09-07-2021, 08:07 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yW8PnxDDWX8