PDA

View Full Version : I'm making a spear

Judge Pen
02-27-2006, 05:00 AM
Ok, I wanted to create a nice, traditional looking and unique spear for myself. I've found a carbon steel spear head from Museum replicas that I'm satisfied with. I've found a place where I can buy real horse hair for the tassel. Now i'm thinking about the shaft and whether I'll need a cap at the end of the staff as a counter-weight.

I thought I would just find a good, sturdy wax-wood staff. But since the separ-head wieghs over a pound, I didn't know if that would unbalance the spear too much. What do you think? Do I need a counter-wieght or not?

monkeyfoot
02-27-2006, 05:25 AM
Well if you are using a waxwood staff (esp the heavier weight ones) then its going to be tapered.

This will balance the weight a bit, but I doubt it will be enough for a 1 pound spear head

you could drill out a small hole into the rear end of the staff and insert a metal rod of some sort. The cap idea doesn't sound too bad.

craig

yu shan
02-27-2006, 08:19 AM
JP, dont forget to put some BB`s in the spear head, makes a nice sound. You will not need a counter weight. I still plan on showing you that spear form if your interested.

Judge Pen
02-27-2006, 08:34 AM
JP, dont forget to put some BB`s in the spear head, makes a nice sound. You will not need a counter weight. I still plan on showing you that spear form if your interested.

Thanks. I am interested.

Funny you said that about the bbs. I remember a thread about that eons ago and I appeared to be in the minority as to adding bbs for sound.

GreenCloudCLF
02-27-2006, 11:56 AM
BB's in the spear head are cool...gotta like the sound

my 2 cents

Chief Fox
02-27-2006, 12:20 PM
We have a spear at my school that for some reason whistles when you use it. I'm not sure if it's intentional but it's pretty cool.

GreenCloudCLF
02-27-2006, 12:35 PM
We have a spear at my school that for some reason whistles when you use it. I'm not sure if it's intentional but it's pretty cool.

Is that like Bugs Bunny's Singing sword???:D

monkeyfoot
02-27-2006, 03:11 PM
bugs bunny dont have s**t on ''eddie valiant's'' singing sword :D

sean_stonehart
02-27-2006, 04:13 PM
I hate BB's in spears ... :eek: