PDA

View Full Version : extreme training video clip

shirkers1
02-27-2006, 10:10 AM
Man I'm sorry but my body would just blow apart if I tried any of this stuff now.. I still think these guys are amazing. I like the bloopers in the middle.

http://www.youtube.com/?v=nrRzKctjLnY

splinter
02-27-2006, 10:55 AM
That's pretty wild!!

The comments say these guys are in Toronto. Anyone know where?

ingchao
02-27-2006, 11:24 AM
Ladies and Gentlemen I give you..........

Wushu Karate!

Although these guys are awesome they are part of the new "XTREME martial arts" that are killing Karate. It kills me to see Traditional Karate have to compete against these guys at tournaments.:mad: This is more gymnastics than MA.

splinter
02-27-2006, 12:04 PM
Ok, so it may not be very fight oriented, but as far as performance martial arts go, this has to be some of the best that I've seen.

BTW. I found their website, and nowhere does it say that they're training to fight. It's purly performance. As long as they're honest about what they're doing, I can't imagine anyone having a problem with it....Or, at least no more of a problem than one might have with contemporary wushu.

In case anyone's interested: http://www.teamryouko.com/about.htm

Chief Fox
02-27-2006, 12:13 PM
That stuff is cool but is totally performance based and in my opinion has no business on a real martial arts website.

I'm trying to figure out how to apply a block, capture, sweep takedown while these guys are trying to figure out how to add another twist to their twisty flying loopy thing.

But for some reason I would love to be able to do that run up the wall back flip thing. :D

SevenStar
02-27-2006, 04:18 PM
That stuff is cool but is totally performance based and in my opinion has no business on a real martial arts website.

I'm trying to figure out how to apply a block, capture, sweep takedown while these guys are trying to figure out how to add another twist to their twisty flying loopy thing.

But for some reason I would love to be able to do that run up the wall back flip thing. :D

hold on.... lemme turn semi traditional on you guys for a sec. when we talk about how stance training has no benefit, what do you say? It teaches endurance - it helps train throws, etc. even though I can think of much better ways (IMO) to do these things. Look at that these guys are doing - especially the breakdancing part where the guy was flaring the went into a hand stand on one hand and started hopping around. That takes amazing coordination and strength. For that reason alone, I'd be more leary of some of those guys than I would many TMA that I know. So, they may be trying to figure out how to fit in an extra twirlyjig, but think of the extra speed / strength it will take them to get there. We all know that untrained "street fighters" with the proper mindset can be very dangerous. Imagine if that street fighter had the speed and strength of these guys.

Chief Fox
02-27-2006, 08:20 PM
hold on.... lemme turn semi traditional on you guys for a sec. when we talk about how stance training has no benefit, what do you say? It teaches endurance - it helps train throws, etc. even though I can think of much better ways (IMO) to do these things. Look at that these guys are doing - especially the breakdancing part where the guy was flaring the went into a hand stand on one hand and started hopping around. That takes amazing coordination and strength. For that reason alone, I'd be more leary of some of those guys than I would many TMA that I know. So, they may be trying to figure out how to fit in an extra twirlyjig, but think of the extra speed / strength it will take them to get there. We all know that untrained "street fighters" with the proper mindset can be very dangerous. Imagine if that street fighter had the speed and strength of these guys.
I see your point and I 100% respect these guys for their athletic ability, speed and strength. But I still don't call it martial arts. I call it gymnastics with a few KIAAAAHs thrown in.

They are performance artists. Just like figure skaters. Extreme athletic ability, strength, speed and flexibility but is it a martial art? Nope.

SanHeChuan
02-27-2006, 09:45 PM
are you saying they can't be both? They could train martial arts and Tricking or whatever it is they are doing, and have them bleed into eachother. That would be scary, i wish i could do that stuff.

SevenStar
02-28-2006, 09:20 AM
many people don't see the martial side of capoeira... do you consider that a martial art?

yan23
03-01-2006, 02:08 PM
i think is a good way to challenge our limits...
but,i found more amazing a 10 years old performing all kinds of sommersaults in a 10 cm beam...

if you take a look on www.bilang.com there is a lot of tricksters,and i like especially a video called,dream on trick on.

Chief Fox
03-01-2006, 02:19 PM
many people don't see the martial side of capoeira... do you consider that a martial art?
Sure, but there are people who make it more martial and there are people who make it more dance. The dancers are just dancers.

My only point is, just because a person is athletic and can jump and do cool flips and stuff doesn't make them a martial artist. That's why I compared it to figure skating.

Royal Dragon
03-02-2006, 12:08 PM
They say "Pound for pound, Gymnasts are the strongest, best conditioned athletes in the world"

Any fighter comming from that type of back ground is going to be one hell of a handfull! All he'd need would be like 6-9 months in a good MMA gym.

SevenStar
03-02-2006, 03:56 PM
It's rare that I agree with RD, but yeah, that's exactly what I am talking about. Heck, I can make the argument that tae bo is a MA. why can't wushu type flippy stuff also be? they may have a slightly different focus, but it's martial, nonetheless. They did a lot of jumping in that clip, but they did also do actual techniques. If I remember right, I saw jump spinning kicks and also some techniques I've seen in capoeira.

Royal Dragon
03-03-2006, 08:55 AM
:D

message is too dam short, but sometimes LESS is MORE!!!

MasterKiller
03-03-2006, 09:04 AM
but sometimes LESS is MORE!!!

Did your therapist tell you to repeat that phrase in a mirror 10 times every morning?

Chief Fox
03-03-2006, 09:16 AM
I agree with you guys that these guys are great athletes. And yes they do kicking techniques in the video as well as one guy spinning a staff around for a bit. And sure, I guess even Tai Bo coud be considered by some to be a martial art.

But with out the "6-9 months in a good MMA gym" like RD said or any actual combat training for that matter then they will always be missing a key part of the martial art equation.

I still would like to do that run up the wall back flip thing. That's cool. :D

Royal Dragon
03-03-2006, 09:25 AM
Did your therapist tell you to repeat that phrase in a mirror 10 times every morning?

Reply]
Dammm, who told?

David Jamieson
03-03-2006, 10:48 AM
just enjoy it for what it is.

SevenStar
03-03-2006, 10:57 AM

nah, his woman did.

Royal Dragon
03-03-2006, 11:18 AM
Actually, I seem to have settled down with a really good one...she even puts up with me and everything!! I should probably get her the ring before she gets to know me better ehy? :p